Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajkakkar
I sent you one in a PM a few minutes ago.

Pankaj
Thanks I got it and sent you a PM. Could you post it yourself on this thread so that others can also view it.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about
Default Per Pappu's request

Stuck for years
In the debate over illegal immigration, don't forget the many legal immigrants waiting for their turn.

by Pankaj Kakkar

Legislators in Congress are as divided over the issue of illegal immigration as Americans are. Opinions are strong, debate is passionate, and no end is in sight. Proponents of quick reform, from both sides of the divide, stress the urgency of the issue and the need for a solution soon. In this debate, however, the plight of legal immigrants is forgotten.

The path to legally acquiring US residency and eventual citizenship is long and unnecessarily complicated, yet many deserving immigrants attempt it every year. Legal immigrants are roughly divided into two categories - family based immigrants and employment based immigrants. These immigrants face years of waiting due to anachronistic laws, discriminatory quotas, onerous bureaucratic hurdles and paper files needlessly being pushed through the system. They also face mounting legal and other tangible and intangible costs. Through all this, they work hard, pay their taxes, and live upright, lawful lives. It is in the interest of the United States as a whole, and Americans individually, to expedite the immigration process for both employment based and family based immigrants.

The benefits are easier to see for employment based immigration. This category has attracted the best researchers and entrepreneurs of the world for the last half century. Immigrants from this category have started companies that employ hundreds of thousands of Americans (with some of these companies featured in the Fortune 500 list). Others have done research and invented technologies that have earned them the highest awards in their fields, such as the Nobel Prize. Even those who haven't been as successful have been an indispensable part of America's economic growth and progress, especially in technology, over the last half century. In my country of birth, India, the phenomenon of the best minds leaving for the US was called the "brain drain" - it isn't hard to see that India's "brain drain" is but America's "brain gain".

Family based immigrants also benefit the US, although in less economically tangible ways. The best minds of the world, immigrating to the US through the first category, would be most comfortable and most productive in an environment where they're close to their family. These family members themselves contribute to American society by being productive, law abiding, and patriotic citizens.

Typical legal immigrants have to wait 5-10 years, and some family based immigrants as long as 20-25 years, before they can even get a Green Card, after which another 5 year wait for acquiring citizenship ensues. These long waits have already persuaded several potential immigrants, many of whom could have been founders of Fortune 500 companies or Nobel Prize winners themselves, to go back to their countries of origin. Quite a few have also immigrated or are considering immigrating to countries where immigration laws are friendlier and less bureaucratic, such as Canada, Ireland and the U.K. While legal immigrants benefit the United States greatly, America does them, and herself, a disservice by making them suffer through an interminable immigration process and countless bureaucratic hurdles. America can and should do right by them.

Congressman Shadegg (R-AZ) has introduced a bill, called the SKIL (Securing Knowledge, Innovation and Leadership) Act, in the House of Representatives. This bill, which has 9 Republican co-sponsors, including Congressman Mike Pence (R-CO), a leader on the issue of immigration, will significantly ameliorate the wait times and hurdles that legal immigrants face, while also benefiting the American economy by making sure that the technology leaders of tomorrow innovate and invent in the United States, and not elsewhere in the world. A similar bill has already passed the Senate. The House should consider it soon, and pass it as well.
=================
Added by pappu
Published on oct 02, 2006
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...7239#post27239

http://news.newamericamedia.org/news...530b364b3d6b9f

news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=71b07f51db4b780d19530 b364b3d6b9f

Last edited by pappu; 10-03-2006 at 09:41 AM.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/1900
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light
Default good stuff

pankaj:

good stuff!!

Old 08-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold
Default nice!!

Quote:
and in some cases as long as 20-25 years, before he or she can even get a Green Card,
Pankaj, the writeup is spot on except for the above. I am not sure it takes anyone in the EB category, 20 years to get the GC. It may happen in the future if retrogression is not fixed.

IMHO, it is important that we stick to facts when we write articles/op eds etc.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualified_trash
Pankaj, the writeup is spot on except for the above. I am not sure it takes anyone in the EB category, 20 years to get the GC. It may happen in the future if retrogression is not fixed.

You make a good point. However, since I have mentioned both EB and FB in the article, I think it is appropriate to include that it can in fact take 20 years to get the GC. The Senate bill does have provisions to ameliorate both EB and FB backlogs, as far as I remember.

Pankaj

Last edited by pankajkakkar; 08-08-2006 at 04:30 PM.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2007
Compare
arihant will become famous soon enough
Default Need clarification?

After reading the op-ed by Pankaj, I had the following questions: Has the SKIL bill already passed the Senate? I know it is included as part of CIR. But, what happens if CIR gets thrown out?

Old 08-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualified_trash

OK, I edited the text to make it clearer that 20-25 years applies only to some family based immigrants. Let me know if it reads OK (grammar etc.) after the edits.

Pankaj

Old 08-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Good thinking

Pappu - it is good to know that we are using the current mass media in this techie country (actually world...should say). Anything "Open" would yield good results.
My suggestion is not only contribution but also careful screening of opinions would be needed.
I will definitely love to contribute.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahaBharatGC
Pappu - it is good to know that we are using the current mass media in this techie country (actually world...should say). Anything "Open" would yield good results.
My suggestion is not only contribution but also careful screening of opinions would be needed.
I will definitely love to contribute.
thanks MahaBharatGC ,
pls feel free to contribute and comment on other's op-eds if there are any suggestions to make them better.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by arihant
After reading the op-ed by Pankaj, I had the following questions: Has the SKIL bill already passed the Senate? I know it is included as part of CIR. But, what happens if CIR gets thrown out?
There are five possibilities, as far as I can think:

1. The House does absolutely nothing. CIR sits unenforced (it's not law until the House passes an identical bill). We continue to suffer. Highly unlikely, since there is a lot of pressure to do *something*.

2. The House passes SKIL by itself. In this case, the Senate will have to revote on SKIL by itself, and then SKIL would be a law by itself. CIR will be irrelevant. We will get what we want. Somewhat likely, if (3) or (4) doesn't happen.

3. The House and Senate conference to come up with a bill. SKIL is discarded in conference. The House and Senate will have to revote on the bill. CIR will be irrelevant. We will continue to suffer. I think this is somewhat unlikely. If there is a conference, big business with it's deep pockets will have its way. Big business supports SKIL.

4. The House and Senate conference to come up with a bill. SKIL is included in conference. The House and Senate will have to revote on the bill. CIR will be irrelevant. We will get what we want. I think this is the most likely possibility, although timing is very uncertain (it may not happen until spring of next year).

5. The House passes CIR identical to the Senate bill. CIR will be law. We will get what we want. Highly unlikely.

Pankaj

Old 08-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of justAnotherFile has much to be proud of
Post nice note Pankaj

good note.

I think a line or two on how the EB immigrant is hampered while waitng for those 5-10 years will be useful. (i.e limited by not being able to switch jobs or even roles within the same company because switching would mean restarting the GC all over from scratch, and spouses having to remain idle even if they are highly qualified on their own, and difficulty of investing in real-estate without any permanance)

Old 08-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold
Default Family based :-((

Quote:
OK, I edited the text to make it clearer that 20-25 years applies only to some family based immigrants. Let me know if it reads OK (grammar etc.) after the edits.

Pankaj
As this is your article, you have all the freedom to write on what impacts you. However, keep in mind that FB immigration is still a sore spot with the American public as the perception is that Immigrants bring their parents here to collect on SS and Medicare (true in some cases I guess). If it were left up to me, I would leave FB Immigration out of the writeup.......

Just my 2 cents.

Grammar etc looks fine to me :-))

Old 08-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/1900
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light
Default yes its an opinion/editorial

please guys just write as many as you can...as i pm'ed pappu...my piece was touchy feely, because i wanted it that way. He suggested some additions to add contributions of immigrants/details of retrogression but I declined cos i felt the touchy feeliness (so to speak) would be diluted.

the more number of op/eds we have, the more they can have an ongoing set of articles that can flow to the news media. Momentum!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jimi_Hendrix will become famous soon enough
Default Pappu-yaar, my contribution

I am a legal immigrant to United States and my permanent residency application is pending because of the backlogs in the current immigration system. There is a combination of factors leading to the current backlog in the legal immigration system. Periodic legalization of illegal aliens, lack of sufficient resources to process applications and poor understanding of legal immigration problems by congressional representatives are some of the contributory factors.

Current immigration reform is primarily focused on illegal immigration reform. Typically, legal immigration is folded into a bill/Act which primarily supports illegal immigration. It is crucial that the contributions of legal immigrants be appreciated. Highly skilled, legal immigration adds to scarce skills and training in the American workforce. They improve productivity and quality of work to keep America competitive. Legal immigrants pay taxes at higher rates due to their immigration status. Further they are not entitled to most of their social security benefits unless they have worked for a certain number of years in USA. Legal immigrants act as role models by respecting the law and playing the role of responsible citizens. They act as safe anchors to curb outsourcing by providing foreign talent locally. An average legal immigrant integrates easily into the American social cauldron, is law abiding and is favorable towards charity and social participation.

Now that you have a decent appreciation of legal immigrant contributions, let us take a look at the problems faced by them. It takes anywhere between 6-8 years on an average to process permanent residency applications of legal immigrants. During majority of this 6-8 year period, legal immigrants cannot change employers and/or job title. Due to lack of sufficient visa availability, legal immigrant applications are backed up solid. The resulting frustration causes many of these immigrants to search work in other countries where immigration laws are favorable to legal immigration and skills are in demand.

Of late due to the education campaign launched by Immigration Voice (a 5,000 member strong group representing highly skilled, legal immigrants); some politicians have a better understanding and appreciation of legal immigration issues. Accordingly, the SKIL bill was introduced by Senator Cornyn and Kyl in the Senate and recently this bill was also introduced in the House of Representatives. The SKIL bill supports reform in the legal immigration system. Due to the current deadlock in the senate and house over Comprehensive Immigration Reform, relief for legal immigrants is nowhere in sight. Will the average American citizen stand up and support this law abiding means of immigration? Or will the average legal immigrant fall victim to the vicious campaign of anti-immigrant extremism? The American public must decide now.

Best Regards,

JH

Old 08-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi_Hendrix
I am a legal immigrant to United States and my permanent residency application is pending because of the backlogs in the current immigration system. T
JH
Thanks. I sent you a PM regarding this.