Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/1900
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light
Default another one

since this last month has been one of the most frustrating in terms of any movement from any standpoint...thought i d write another op ed
==================================================
Where is my Ellis Island?

America is more than a country. It is an idea. It is the idea of freedom, liberty and justice for all. It is the idea that an immigrant with the determination, skills and the ability to work hard can make it. He or she can single handedly change the course of their generations to come.

I first read Jeffery Archer's Kane and Abel when I was 13. One of the most powerful images that the book conjured up for me was the day young Abel Rosonovski after facing years of hardship and seeing the collapse of the Polish dynasty, manages to get to America. Archer describes is great detail how Abel looks at the Statue of Liberty with tears in his eyes. When he lands on Ellis Island there are two guards who make notations of everybody getting off the boat and following a medical exam he is welcomed into America. Not as a temporary worker, not given an H1B, not given a temporary asylum status, but is welcomed as a full fledged American Citizen into the United States of America.

Today, things are not the same. I agree that I did not have to endure years of civil war or ethnic strife, but my reason for moving to the US was just like every American's grandfather, great grandfather or great-great grandfather. In essence it was to ensure a better life for me and for my future generations. My great grandchild will someday talk about how her grandfather moved here, put himself through graduate school and tried to build a better life. Her story will be the same as every other American's.

However, today I saw a letter being circulated by the anti immigration groups asking their congressman to oppose a bill proposed by Rep. John Shadegg of Arizona. This bill provides relief to millions of us who are stuck in limbo because of the worst set of immigration policies for educated immigrants in the civilized world. What makes me rethink my American dream is not that restrictionists like Lou Dobbs are against this bill but because what is being circulated is plain lies.

They claim that persons on H1B does not pay taxes, bring in millions of family members and produce thousands of “anchor babies.” This is the same set of lies being touted by Tancredo and his creed. Under the H1-B visa we are not exempt from any taxes that are charged by the IRS. In fact most sensible and informed law-makers have agreed that this is almost discriminatory because under a work visa we cannot avail of any benefit that the social security program provides for.

The other thing that makes me question my decision of being in America is the anchor babies’ statement. This statement reeks of xenophobia. It goes against everything that this country stands for. It is a slap in the face for the drafters of the 14th amendment. If my baby is an anchor baby, then every single American is also an anchor baby. By calling American children of immigrants "anchor babies" these restrictionists have defiled the entire premise of America. In immigrant circles, where people understand the process of immigration, this is seen as the "maccaca" moment for organizations like Numbers USA.

Its time the restrictionists and the American public decide once and for all what they want from the immigrants. If you do not want us here, provide Tancredo and his creed with the tools to go ahead and build a mile high wall on the southern border, eliminate all temporary visa programs and close down any legal avenues for people to come here.

If you consider that we provide value, subsidize your taxes by paying into the Social Security program, are an important part of your community and that we help stimulate the economy through taxes and buying power, then provide Rep. John Shadegg with the power to pass the Skill Bill.

In any case end our misery and let us know what you want. This way we can go about our lives.

yabadaba
IV member
==================
published on Dec 20
http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_...38603143688521
==========

Last edited by pappu; 12-20-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabadaba
since this last month has been one of the most frustrating in terms of any movement from any standpoint...thought i d write another op ed
==================================================
Where is my Ellis Island?

yabadaba
IV member
Thank you very much for your effort. IV team is working on getting op-eds published.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute
Default op-ed published

IV was able to get an op-ed published today
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...7239#post27239

by Pankaj Kakkar.
We have an opportunity to get more op-eds published. If other members would like to write op-eds they can submit on this forum and PM me their contact details.

Last edited by pappu; 10-02-2006 at 09:39 PM.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

We are getting more calls for op-eds and need more IV members to pitch in and write articles.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2007
Compare
GCneeded is a glorious beacon of light GCneeded is a glorious beacon of light GCneeded is a glorious beacon of light GCneeded is a glorious beacon of light GCneeded is a glorious beacon of light

Like many immigrants, I moved to USA in search of American Dream. With a degree in Computer Science and valuable experience, I thought I could pursue my ambition to excel in my field, while also fulfilling my American Dream. My dream of America was about freedom. Freedom of working at niche companies, living a comfortable life, earning higher wages than what I used to earn in my Home country. What started out as a dream has turned to a nightmare. Like many others I came to USA on H1-B and wanted to convert to a permanent resident. The process, which used to take 2-3 years, has turned to uncertainty. The path for Permanent residency has been entangled in complicated government laws and bureaucracy. I had to wait in line for 4 years just to get my labor application approved and now I am struck in another queue of retrogression. I moved from my country; because I did not want to wait in line at Ration shops, bus stops. I wanted to escape from the lines, but now I am struck in a bigger line with no end in sight.

Whenever there is a discussion about immigration, People always assume it as about illegal immigration. So I have to keep reminding people that there is another side to immigration. Legal immigration. The issues of legal immigrants have been ignored and been buried in the midst of illegal immigration controversies. When I send letters to House Representatives/Senators about the problems of legal immigrants, they reply back about increasing H1-B numbers. Legal immigration is NOT just about just increasing H1-B. Also the anti immigration groups publish that people on H1-B don’t pay taxes. But we pay taxes, Medicare and social security like all other American citizens. With the current immigration laws, we might not be even to avail the benefits of these taxes.

The facts of the legal immigrants

· We are NOT here to take American jobs. We fill those positions when a suitable American citizen was not found
· We PAY TAXES like any other American citizens
· We are here legally. The government has assessed our qualifications and education.
· According to Economic Report of the President, 2006 - Legal skilled immigrants increase productivity growth and improve the standard of living for the U.S. population as a whole.
· According to Economic Report of the President, 2006, skilled immigrants constituted 76% of the employment growth in the Executive, Managerial, Professional (e.g., Scientists, Doctors) and Technical (e.g., Health and Science Technicians) categories from 1996 to 2002.
· According to Annalee Saxenian, “Silicon Valley's New Immigrant Entrepreneurs,” Public Policy Institute of California, 1999, in 1998, Chinese or Indian CEOs ran 24 percent of Silicon Valley’s technology firms. These companies accounted for over $16.8 billion in sales and 58,282 jobs. These numbers may still understate the scale of immigrant entrepreneurship in the region because firms started by Chinese or Indians with non-Asian CEOs were not counted.

We are being backlashed by the congress and the anti immigration groups, even though we are highly skilled, well educated and staying legally. We have done nothing but help America in its economic growth and in its quest for innovation and technology. Now we are being punished for being here legally and law abiding by putting us in retrogression. We cannot get Salary hike, or promotions when our green card is in process. So while my American colleagues have moved to greener pastures, I am struck here at the same job and same salary. People struck in green card process cannot open new ventures. The new ventures would open new jobs and increases America’s competitive edge in innovation and global leadership in technology. If American congress does not act at this point of time, there will be a “BRAIN DRAIN”. People fed up with retrogression have already started looking at other countries like Australia, Canada who are welcoming high skilled immigrants with open arms and easy migration laws. As for me I have invested my prime youth for my American dream and hope American government will embrace high skilled immigrants like me. Rep. Shadegg has tabled H.R. 5744, SKIL bill for legal high-skilled immigration. This bill would reduce the current wait time for getting the green card. I sincerely urge congress to pass SKIL bill which will reduce the wait times and help high skill immigrants help America to sustain it’s edge on technology and global innovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu
We are getting more calls for op-eds and need more IV members to pitch in and write articles.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jimi_Hendrix will become famous soon enough
Default updated op-ed

Why you need to support legal immigration reforms?

I am a legal immigrant to United States and my permanent residency application is pending because of backlogs in the current immigration system. There is a combination of factors leading to the current backlog in the legal immigration system. Periodic legalization of undocumented workers, insufficient resources, procedural inefficiencies and poor understanding of the legal immigration problem by congressional representatives are some of the contributory factors.

Current immigration reform is primarily focused on illegal immigration reform. Typically, legal immigration is folded into a bill/Act which primarily supports illegal immigration. It is crucial that the contributions of legal immigrants be appreciated. Highly skilled, legal immigration adds to scarce skills and training in the American workforce. They improve productivity and quality of work to keep America competitive. These immigrants also pay taxes at higher rates. Further they are not entitled to most of their social security benefits unless they have worked for a certain number of years in USA. Legal immigrants act as role models because they enter the country legally. They act as safe anchors to curb outsourcing by providing foreign talent locally. An average legal immigrant integrates easily into the American social cauldron, is law abiding and is favorable towards charity and social participation.

Now that you have a decent appreciation of legal immigrant contributions, let us take a look at the problems faced by them. It takes anywhere between 6-8 years on an average to process permanent residency applications of legal immigrants. During majority of this 6-8 year period,
1) Legal immigrants cannot change employers and/or job title
2) Spouses of legal immigrants cannot work unless they have separate work authorization
3) All major financial and career decisions are on a hold
4) Children of legal immigrants are unable to earn certain education benefits available to permanent residents/citizens
5) Immigrants are reluctant to visit their home countries because of increased scrutiny at the border due to the lack of permanent residency/citizenship privileges. There is no assurance that the immigrant will be able to re-enter USA
6) Work and Travel Permits need to be renewed every year i.e. new fees are charged by USCIS each year for renewal. This step not only involves financial cost but also induces fresh anxiety about whether the permits will be approved without problems and on time.

Due to lack of sufficient visa availability, legal immigrant applications are backed up solid. An important factor responsible for current backlogs is inefficient processing of applications. USCIS, FBI and Department of Labor are trying their best to cope with the huge immigration backlog work. However, some processes move faster while others take unreasonably long. Efficiency in one process is compensated by complete lack of efficiency in some other processes. The cumulative effect of these factors is tremendous frustration among legal immigrants. Many of these immigrants are actively looking for work in other countries where immigration laws are favorable to legal immigration and advanced skills are in demand. Compared to USA, time taken for obtaining permanent residency in some countries is approximately 75-80 percent shorter. While majority of immigrants are skill-based immigrants in top immigration-friendly countries, in the USA skill-based immigration constitutes a minority of immigrants. The lack of adequate immigration benefits is often cited as one of the factors promoting illegal immigration. It is clear that the current system is antiquated and needs a major overhaul.

Lately, an awareness campaign has been launched by Immigration Voice (6,400 strong group representing skilled, legal immigrants). Immigration Voice represents more than 500,000 bright and innovative minds in the country. As a result of Immigration Voice’s campaign and the ongoing immigration debate, some politicians have a better understanding and appreciation of legal immigration issues. Accordingly, the SKIL bill was introduced by Senator Cornyn and Kyl in the Senate and recently this bill was also introduced in the House of Representatives. The SKIL bill supports reform in the legal immigration system. Comprehensive Immigration Reform is frozen in view of approaching elections and earlier political deadlock. It is expected that Congress will be attend to pending immigration needs after the elections. In the meantime, it is imperative to garner support for legal immigration reform. After all, the efficiency of the legal immigration system will encourage future generation of immigrants to come to America legally. Will the average American citizen support this law abiding means of immigration? Or will the average legal immigrant fall victim to the vicious campaign of anti-immigrant extremism? The American public must take a stand and defend the American dream.

Best Regards,

JH
=============
published on nov 16, 2006
http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_...a26f10eb4183ba

Last edited by pappu; 11-16-2006 at 02:32 PM.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/1900
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light yabadaba is a glorious beacon of light
Default ^^^

^^^^

Old 11-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgal369
nice write-up Jimi
Congratulations Jimi

http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_...a26f10eb4183ba

Old 11-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
qplearn will become famous soon enough

Good job, Jimi!!

Old 11-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thanks everyone..

Let us keep working.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default New Article

Got legal immigration?

Joe Adams holds on to his coffee cup while he anxiously reads the immigration news headlines on Google. The democrats have just won control in Washington and like all immigrants; Joe is hopeful that some immigration reform will emerge.

Joe, a native of United Kingdom first came to the United States in 1998. After graduating from Harvard Business School with an MBA he got his dream job in supply chain management. It was not long after that Joe’s company filed for his permanent residency. Life moved on and soon Joe and his wife Kathy had their first child. “The year was 2003” reminisces Joe, “I was really beginning to understand the U.S. immigration process. I was getting a handle on the numerous loops that lay ahead. It was soon apparent to me that immigration was no walk in the garden”.

Of the 940,000 legal immigrants in 2004, only 16% were skilled employment-based immigrants. About 40% of these skilled immigrants had advanced degrees, or 5 or more years of experience after a baccalaureate degree. The impact of these workers’ contributions to American competitiveness belies their small number. They add to the process of scientific discovery, technology development, and innovation, which in turn leads to greater productivity growth. Current immigration policy is abetting brain drain and forcing many of these immigrants to leave for countries like Canada and United Kingdom where skilled immigrants are given priority over undocumented and family-based immigrants.

Legal Immigration, Rewarding?
“Most importantly legal immigration has to be rewarding for legal residents and create a shining example for all other immigrants”, remarks Joe Adams. In the United States, all immigration reform for highly skilled immigrants is bundled with reform for undocumented workers. This phenomenon is representative of the apathy of U.S. immigration policy towards highly skilled legal immigrants. Many of them have advanced degrees in science and technology. They have trained and honed their skills while working in U.S. companies.
Currently permanent residency applications for skilled, employment based immigrants are backed 5-8 years. In the interim applicants are unable to change jobs, get promotions or make any major financial decisions. Highly skilled, legal immigrants need immigration reforms that will reduce massive process backlogs, improve processing by government agencies and better the quality of life while the application is pending.

Legal Immigration Myths
Extremist, anti-immigration advocacy groups have aggressively publicized myths about legal, skilled immigrants. Let us expound some of the common myths about employment based immigration.
Myth: Increasing green cards will enable more new immigrants to enter the country
Fact: Most immigrants who are caught in the employment-based immigration backlog have already spent 5-10 years in the United States. They have integrated socially and culturally. Companies have spent thousands of dollars on training these workers.

Myth: Employment based immigrants do not pay taxes and are a social burden
Fact: Employment based immigrants are required by law to file for federal and state tax returns each year. They pay social security taxes, medicare taxes, payroll taxes and all other applicable taxes. Employment based immigrants are not eligible to receive social security benefits unless their permanent residency applications are approved or unless they have worked in the U.S. for several years.
Myth: Employment based immigrants take away local jobs
Fact: Most progressive Americans realize that educated immigrant workers play a crucial role in stimulating the local economy. Highly skilled immigration fills the gaps in availability and makes the U.S. economy competitive and resilient. A recent study concludes that immigrants have fueled the US entrepreneurial economy, starting one in four venture-backed companies since 1990 and two in five in high technology. This is according to a study released by the National Venture Capital Association trade group to the U.S. Congress in November 2006.

Myth: H1B quota increase will result in more green cards
Fact: H1B has a separate quota from green card quotas. Even after an individual has approved security check, labor certification and employment eligibility; a visa number must be available for him to receive a green card. This quota is subject to annual numerical limits. Based on the current annual visa limit, applications are backlogged 6 years.

Future of Legal Immigration
It is presumed that legal immigration process works efficiently and in a clockwork fashion. However when you consider that legal applicants have to wait 5-8 years for a green card; this statement is false. In the current political environment pro and anti immigrant extremism exist side by side. A rational, middle of the road approach is largely missing. Such an approach would prioritize immigration based on the contribution of immigrants towards economic growth, the reduction of job outsourcing and most importantly rewarding those who chose to enter and continue to reside legally in USA.
Americans largely supports legal immigration. This year, the Secure Knowledge, Innovation and Leadership Bill was introduced in Senate and in the House of Representatives. This bill provides the much needed immigration reforms for highly skilled immigrants. However the democrat leadership has not yet declared immigration on their agenda for the first 100 hours of work. Unless congress collectively passes immigration relief for skilled workers, political considerations for the 2008 presidential elections will put this issue on the back burner again.

Last edited by Jimi_Hendrix; 11-27-2006 at 02:08 PM.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
qplearn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi_Hendrix
Work in progress; .
Nice job; Sent you a PM.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

Quote:
Work in progress; comments welcome.

Thanks for the effort. All pls send PMs to jimi if you have comments.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
eager_immi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka
Mr. Carbon,

Can you please e-mail this to Lou Dobbs of CNN.

-Kaka
Lou Dobbs are you kidding me!!! By now all should know he is not a journalist he is a propagandist. He does not read to expand his horizon he uses a cookie cutter approach to fit everything in his grand scheme of propaganda "the plight of the middle class." So please don't waste time and channel your energy elsewhere.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

Quote:
Got legal immigration?

This is a great article. We will be making efforts to get it published. if somone can also write on the innvators (http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1366853.php) (If you doubt the contributions of foreign-born workers to our country, you simply need to look at the talent that has provided the United States with a high-technology edge. Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google, is Russian-born; Intel co-founder Andy Grove is from Hungary; Sabeer Bhatia, co-founder of Hotmail, is from India; Jerry Yang, originally from Taiwan, brought us Yahoo; Pierre Omidyar, founder of eBay, is from France; and Vinod Kholsa, co-founder of Sun Microsystems, is from India.) and how they helped America in the op-ed it will be another angle for us.

The article can talk about the talent, innovation high skilled immigrants bring to this country and be more specific to the greencard process. The above mentioned URL is specific to H1B visa.