|IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates|
||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
For Posting: Immigration Voice is For Everyone in EB Greencard Process: All Stages
I posted this text at some Immigration Portal threads today to address concerns that IV is only focused on retrogression. Please feel free to edit and post at other forums or other threads on Immig Portal.
I. IV MEMBERS AT EVERY STAGE
• We have members at each stage of the process: labor certification backlog, retrogression backlog, USCIS backlog. Some of our most active members have not got their labor certification.
• Members who are further along have not forgotten the length of delay and pain of the previous step. We are ALL really in the same boat.
II. WE EMPHASIZE THE EFFECT OF CUMULATIVE DELAYS
• The most devastating problem for EB green card applicants is the cumulative effect of delays at each stage. Each delay in isolation may even be bearable (only in theory) but when you pile one on top of the other it is unconscionable. We emphasize this in our new presentation (out shortly).
• When we meet with lawmakers or talk with other organizations in the coalition we give personal examples and it is this fact of delay piling on top of delay that most of them are shocked by.
III. DOL-BEC & USCIS BACKLOGS ARE ALREADY SUBJECT TO CONGRESSIONAL & PRESIDENTIAL MANDATES
• DOL-BECs were created as a result of considerable protest and intervention by Congress.
• USCIS Backlog Processing is also subject to Presidential mandate – for 6 months processing by September 2006. Congressional hearing transcripts show that members of Congress are well aware of these issues, even the problems with repeat fingerprinting etc.
• So both DOL-BEC and USCIS Backlog Processing are at the stage of implementing bureaucratic changes, implementing Congressional and Presidential mandates.
• We *are* pressing for transparency and better implementation at both these stages, as well as for 3 year extensions of H-1Bs, EADs and Advance Paroles for those who are stuck in the Green Card process instead of the current one year.
IV. RETROGRESSION HAS BEEN TOTALLY IGNORED BY CONGRESS & THE PRESIDENT
• In contrast to DOL-BEC and USCIS Backlog Processing, Congress has never addressed the issue of Retrogression.
• So the Retrogression problem is a systemic, policy problem.
• It will affect all of us eventually, no matter what stage we are at. And it is only going to get worse, and the delay at this stage is the longest of all. Even if cutoff dates move forward, there is nothing to stop them from moving back again once USCIS starts processing visas faster (see posts on how visa cutoff dates are determined).
• It took a tremendous amount of effort to get Congressional and Presidential mandates to do something about DOL and USCIS backlogs and it will take a tremendous amount of effort to get Congressional action on Retrogression.
In summary, we urge you to get involved with Immigration Voice no matter at what stage of the green card process you are. We are all in the same boat. Immigration Voice is getting your issues heard wherever it goes. We are totally committed to getting the job done - this is not a half-hearted group of people. Look at what we have done in just 40 days.
With Comprehensive Immigration on the anvil and with PACE bringing the issue of American Competitiveness and the need for skilled and qualified immigrants, there can be no better time to highlight our problems. Legislative changes are necessary for us and the only way that can happen is if you get involved.
RECENT IMMIGRATION VOICE ACTIVITIES:
• Signing with Quinn Gillespie & Associates who will work with us to (a) get corporate sponsorship
(b) get access to key policymakers
(c) craft an effective legislative strategy
(d) design a media strategy
• Meeting Lawmakers
• Coordinating with other groups like Compete America
• Getting the word out in the community
• Setting up of the organizational and resource infrastructure including the website and forums for discussion
• A tremendous amount of behind the scenes efforts to improve the quality of our materials and message.
Visit our website at www.immigrationvoice.org and get involved!
Hi Bee-- Great post clarifiying the IV cause. I am a volunteer for IV, but my labour is still pending at PBEC (Jul 2002 CA EB2 RIR). When we met the Congress Persons in Bay Area last week, we did talk about the labour certification backlogs. In fact, the immigration staff at both the places were aware of the labour backlogs (even though one of them didn't know about the retrogression). IV is representing the labour certification backlogs and asking for transparency in the backlog centers.
So All -- whether we are stuck in labour or retrogression -- Let's rally together. Please join IV and strengthen our representation.
There is very little time left. Let us join together and present a united front under IV.
I suggest that IV be even concerned about ppl in the pre-application stage like myself. I havent even filed a labor yet as I have no employer (am a PhD student.) I would like IV to take up issues that concern PhD students, for e.g. the current proposals in the PACE bill that appear to exclude current PhD students (as opposed to future "F-4" PhD students) from automatic AOS benefits 1 year after graduation. This is a large constituency who can be mobilized for IV if IV decides to pursuse this. It is actually a very commonsense amendment to PACE that can be included in the bill if the right people are informed about it. I have drafted a very detailed letter and can make it available here.
New thread for PACE Provisions
Would you start a new thread to explain what text in the PACE Act makes you think that only future F-4s will benefit from this? Feel free to cut and paste from the bill.
I'm sure PACE will go through many revisions -- it would be helpful to know what the fine print/nitty gritty is.
It is my understanding that the intent of PACE is to provide this benefit to all US STEM Advanced degrees.
I have done as you suggested. The thread is "PACE amendment suggestions"
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151 (PACE amendment suggestions)
Your input and suggestions are welcome, as is a formal word from IV.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Adoption process for H1B and Greencard holders||eastindia||All other Green Card Issues||7||01-31-2012 10:53 PM|
|GreenCard renewel or start new process||Michael chertoff||Immigrant Visa||1||05-17-2010 01:56 PM|
|Adoption process for H1B and Greencard holders||eastindia||Immigrant Visa||0||04-20-2010 02:30 PM|
|Process Greencard from L1B Employer VS lawyer||xiaot_Tag||Immigrant Visa||2||09-28-2009 11:05 PM|
|H1B to Greencard Process...||nisargpatel_ce||Non-Immigrant Visa||1||04-14-2009 11:31 AM|