Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immigrant rights groups adjust focus to passage of AgJobs, Dream Act-Washington Post

Immigrant rights groups adjust focus to passage of AgJobs, Dream Act

Immigrant rights groups adjust focus to passage of AgJobs, Dream Act
By Krissah Thompson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, July 27, 2010; 3:42 PM

Some immigrant rights groups are shifting the strategy in their so-far unsuccessful push to overhaul immigration law: They're calling the new tactic the "down payment" approach.

"We are aware that the clock is running out, and there are no guarantees that a Congress that is supportive of immigration reform will be returned in November," said Antonio Gonzales, president of the William C. Velásquez Institute, a Latino public policy group. "We took a deep breath and said, 'Okay, we need a Plan B.' "

That plan centers on lobbying hard for the passage of two bills: AgJobs and the Dream Act. AgJobs is a compromise between farmworker unions and agriculture business groups, which was negotiated more than five years ago and is intended to provide legal farm labor and protect the rights of immigrant workers. The Dream Act would give some undocumented students the ability to apply for permanent residency. Both bills have had Republican support in the past.

Lizette J. Olmos, spokeswoman for the League of United Latin American Citizens, called the bills "critical building blocks" toward assuaging frustrated Hispanic groups. The new approach is an admission that they're not getting any traction on the broader policy overhaul.

For the past 18 months immigrant rights groups have been pushing the White House to get behind a plan to create a path for citizenship for illegal immigrants as President Obama promised during his campaign. In recent months -- with the passage of a controversial new law in Arizona that targets illegal immigration -- it has become clear that such a plan is politically untenable.

There is also a sense among the immigrant rights groups that advocates of tougher immigration enforcement are having more success. In an effort to convince Republicans to support comprehensive immigration reform, Obama has instructed the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency to "to make our national laws actually work," as he put it in a speech this month at American University.

The agency expects to deport about 400,000 people this fiscal year, nearly 10 percent more than the Bush administration's 2008 total and 25 percent more than were deported in 2007. The pace of company audits has roughly quadrupled since President George W. Bush's final year in office.

"The other side is getting more money for enforcement, more funding for fences, more money border patrols," Olmos said. "It was supposed to be a two-prong approach, not just one prong."

That is the message LULAC, the Hispanic Federation and other immigrant rights groups are taking to Capitol Hill this week.

They've got one potential supporter in Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), who told La Opinion, one of the largest Spanish-language newspapers in the United States, that he is open to considering the bills one by one. "We must have immigration reform," Reid said. "When we have enough groups telling me that we can't do it this year, then we will consider the Dream Act alone. But we are not at that point now."
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-09
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute
Default What about legal provisions?

I keep hearing about different groups shifting gears towards piecemeal DREAM and AgJobs bills. We should ensure legal provisions are included as well if it goes piecemeal. We need just 3 things, recapture, removal of country quota for EB apps and counting family as one unit. With just these three provisions, the backlog can be eliminated and avoided in future.

IV Core what is our strategy about this?

Old 07-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleopatra View Post
I keep hearing about different groups shifting gears towards piecemeal DREAM and AgJobs bills. We should ensure legal provisions are included as well if it goes piecemeal. We need just 3 things, recapture, removal of country quota for EB apps and counting family as one unit. With just these three provisions, the backlog can be eliminated and avoided in future.

IV Core what is our strategy about this?
I think h1B-EB people will be left behind in this (aka.. shafted by democratic party...though not a surprise as Democritic is never a party for skilled immigration) . They will pass the Dream Act and AgJobs and hold the EB reform hostage to CIR.

For Eg...time and again Senetor Durban tables bill to screw H1B...and then turns around and tables the Dream Act for th Hispanic votes. AgJobs piece, though Democratic party doesnt like but is to get some Republicans on board for Dream Act.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hands640 is on a distinguished road

how about H.R. 5658: To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act? This is the only option we have this year, I've read somewhere that visa recapture is very popular in the congress but I hope they will push it before election.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hands640 View Post
how about H.R. 5658: To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act? This is the only option we have this year, I've read somewhere that visa recapture is very popular in the congress but I hope they will push it before election.
Here is what i suspect

Immigration Reform: Harry Reid will bring the DREAM Act for a vote in 2010 | All247News

Harry Reid sending the Dream act piecement while holding the H1B/Eb folks hostage to teh CIR. Skilled immigrants have no place in the US.
Industry gives a damm about it because people are willing to put up with the H1B miseries and while skilled immigrants lack the voting block power.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shall we start calling Senator Reid office?

What are we waiting for? If DREAM act passes senate floor, it will be too late to do anything. We should start calling Senator Reid offcie asking him to include children of legal immigrants in DREAM act.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev View Post
What are we waiting for? If DREAM act passes senate floor, it will be too late to do anything. We should start calling Senator Reid offcie asking him to include children of legal immigrants in DREAM act.
Dream act is tailored towards children of illegals. It clearly says they get the amnesty when they finished 12th and are going to University. Children of legals are mainly of younger age and not close to 17 when they are going for college.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/29/2012
Compare
smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute

DREAM Act is controlled amnesty. Illegal kids become Legals...after 5 years they become citizens....1 year after that the parents become GC holders.

Now all illegals who don't have kids will start breeding to utilize this wonderful opportunity.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_guy123 View Post
Dream act is tailored towards children of illegals. It clearly says they get the amnesty when they finished 12th and are going to University. Children of legals are mainly of younger age and not close to 17 when they are going for college.
It is wrong to assume that children of legal immigrants are very young. With retrogression, many children are already in college or about to go to college. I know of at least 5 legal immigrants who will benefit from DREAM act, if legal immigrants are included.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/29/2012
Compare
smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
DREAM Act is controlled amnesty. Illegal kids become Legals...after 5 years they become citizens....1 year after that the parents become GC holders.

Now all illegals who don't have kids will start breeding to utilize this wonderful opportunity.
Don't you guys think that this act is controlled amnesty. Instead of giving out GCs at once, the illegals will get GC in 6 years through their kids...good enough

Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare

Quote:
Don't you guys think that this act is controlled amnesty. Instead of giving out GCs at once, the illegals will get GC in 6 years through their kids...good enough
Logically yes. It remains to be seen how it stands in Congress (traditionally the most hostile to amnesty since 2006's Failed CIR)

Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/29/2012
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_guy123 View Post
Logically yes. It remains to be seen how it stands in Congress (traditionally the most hostile to amnesty since 2006's Failed CIR)
I'm going to send an email to TX senators right away calling this "Controlled and Organized" amnesty.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare

Quote:
I'm going to send an email to TX senators right away calling this "Controlled and Organized" amnesty.
I think inclusion of children of legal immigrants would be a better option. Trying to stop something that has wide and bi-partition support would paint us as anti-immigrant.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/29/2012
Compare

Do all illegal kids get GCs or just those who finish college?

Old 07-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare

Quote:
Do all illegal kids get GCs or just those who finish college?
There are different versions of the bill. According to the most popular one - children of undocumented immigrants will get GC just by completing two years in college.