Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

View Poll Results: Do you want a new Bill that only aims to reduce EB3 and EB2 visa backlog
Yes we want a new Bill 352 95.65%
No new Bill please, its too much work 16 4.35%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCard4US View Post
Every time someone comes up with something new they get shot down here by "certain" other members. They try to find reasons to say it was a bad idea rather than saying something constructive. Give this guy a chance.
You can also start a new thread with an idea. There is no stopping of ideas and evaluating ideas by others on the forum. It is just feedback that we give. One should be open to all kinds of feedback for an idea. Don't you get it in your own office?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastindia View Post
You are talking about bringing a bill:

How many congressman and Senators have you met till now ?

You want to bring a bill without lobbying. So tell your plans. Let us all see.

You created your new ID, started a thread and you think that is a good start. I need to see something real in an idea than believing in your idea.
Well I had called a NY congresswoman when I was stuck in a H1 name check. I found them open and willing to help. She even contacted the FBI.

Well I am just an ordinary person, and the same as everyone here, and not saying I will do everything myself. There are persons who are better skilled at this and know the immigration law better.

Also don't rule out lobbying, I just said we also need something else that should justify our case without a lobby. I'm asking for suggestions or ideas.
I may be new here, If you see my post on the other forum, I'm asking for the creation of an organization with skilled people who will create a new campaign among legal immigrants. Kind of like Grass roots movement.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute Edison99 has a reputation beyond repute

Could you update your profile before drafting your plan? It helps IV community to understand your concerns…

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyHK12 View Post
Well I had called a NY congresswoman when I was stuck in a H1 name check. I found them open and willing to help. She even contacted the FBI.

Well I am just an ordinary person, and the same as everyone here, and not saying I will do everything myself. There are persons who are better skilled at this and know the immigration law better.

Also don't rule out lobbying, I just said we also need something else that should justify our case without a lobby. I'm asking for suggestions or ideas.
I may be new here, If you see my post on the other forum, I'm asking for the creation of an organization with skilled people who will create a new campaign among legal immigrants. Kind of like Grass roots movement.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I saw that. Looks like you are trying to pimp for a lawyer. Learn to stand on your own 2 feet first.

All you have done is made a phone call to a lawmaker office. Before you start a poll go and meet your lawmaker and learn how to talk to lawmakers. That will be a good start.

0 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I saw that. Looks like you are trying to pimp for a lawyer. Learn to stand on your own 2 feet first.
No I'm not, I am in no way associated with them, and I could care less. Yes I know how to stand on my feet thanks. This is not a time to divide people.
Any better sugegstions for immigration lawyer then? Or do you just keep trashing other people, without giving any genuine ideas.

"Could you update your profile before drafting your plan"
I'm EB2, with approve I-140.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
No I'm not, I am in no way associated with them, and I could care less. Yes I know how to stand on my feet thanks. This is not a time to divide people.
Any better sugegstions for immigration lawyer then? Or do you just keep trashing other people, without giving any genuine ideas.

"Could you update your profile before drafting your plan"
I'm EB2, with approve I-140.
I gave you a genuine idea to go and meet your lawmaker. You ignored that.

Why can't you speak for yourself and stand on your own feet. Are you illegal in this country?
If you still want to do more, then contact IV and volunteer with them or help them. Do not try and become someone's agent to increase their business. Stand up for yourself first. This is what I learned from this website.

0 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
I gave you a genuine idea to go and meet your lawmaker. You ignored that.

Why can't you speak for yourself and stand on your own feet. Are you illegal in this country?
If you still want to do more, then contact IV and volunteer with them or help them. Do not try and become someone's agent to increase their business.
What the point of meeting a law maker, exchange pleasantries? They aren't going to write a Bill because 1 person said so.
Read my post again, I am legal, EB2 India I-140 approved.
Repeat, Not associated with any lawyer or party.
I am trying to get people to join together - but you can't see that.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
What the point of meeting a law maker, exchange pleasantries? They aren't going to write a Bill because 1 person said so.
Read my post again, I am legal, EB2 India I-140 approved.
Repeat, Not associated with any lawyer or party.
I am trying to get people to join together - but you can't see that.
Of course. Go and exchange pleasantries. And then talk about the fact that you do not have greencard and need a bill from them. Why is it so hard for you? Can you not lobby for yourself first? We are all doing this and need more people like you to do it. But we will not pimp like you for any lawyer. In this country bills are written by lawmakers. Not your lawyer that filed your I140. You need to meet your lawmaker to help you. That is what we all are doing here. If you add yourself, to what we are doing then one more person will add to the effort we are doing. There is already a thread for people like you waiting to file I485. Did you take notice? Stop pimping for your lawyer and join hands with everyone like you here.

0 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would consider it a waste of time.
You seem to have some misconceptions. I am not a client of the lawyer mentioned, don't owe her anything and asked you for another suggestion. I don't know why you are being negative on this one.
I deleted the lawyers name from the original post, so you can stop with the conspiracy theory.
I work in technology not a law firm.
tonyHK12 appreciate your inputs. We are already united. IV has several thousand members and has conducted several campaigns. The leaders are very capable persons also. You have put forward a general idea but this has been debated a great deal. What is the purpose of even a poll when it is absolutely clear that everybody in this group would welcome a bill solely for reducing backlogg? The question is how can we get the legislator to write and introduce such a bill and then how to get it to pass. Who will support such a bill? Your desire is similar to everybody else in this group but until there is a definite strategy which is different from what has already been tried there is no point in just creating discussions foccussed on desires.
First think out a strategy and put it out. Others will then coment or join it.
Putting out vague goals like "we need a bill" is of not much use. the question that you need to answer is "how?"

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Saikrishna will become famous soon enough Saikrishna will become famous soon enough
Default IV core members - what is next course of item???

Iam victim of EB3 category - we need to unite ourself and help IV core members to bring out new bill or amemdent or awareness to present government or congress before election.

What will be next course of action items under IV ?

Old 09-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why we need to advocate to get out of the gc mess

We are spinning in circles here and it is like reinventing the wheel. This is THE grassroots org –THAT you want to set-up. already set up to achieve exactly that – YES, YES …We want Congress to introduce a bill to reduce backlogs. The core goal of IV is to have a bill that has our provisions. That is exactly what this organization was set up to achieve. You seem to be a newcomer to this struggle. Have you followed IV from 2005 Dec when a buch of members got together on some other forums and watched helplessly as good provisions (that were meant to allievate our troubles) were taken out at the last minute from a bill during debate.
Since then we have tried and tried and frankly have matured enough to understand that the politics of the immigration issue is complex and any standalone bill –just for us- has no chance.

Our provisions have to be clubbed with all the rest of the minor and major groups – that want reform. There is the nurses lobby, the doctors, the illegal lobby, the dream activists, and many other fringe groups, they all want their issues to be addressed. The anti-immigrants are a big opposition to any small relief that comes up in debate. NOW- We have learnt that we need to work with all these groups, form alliances and lobby hard to get a bill that has more support.

If you go meet with your lawmakers you will understand that our issue is a miniscule little piece of a bigger issue of Immigration. And different varying and sometimes opposing groups have to be accommodated. The politics of immigration is convulted with different factions of the society wanting different things – Our little issue is straightforward and we enjoy a lot more support for our provisions, unfortunately we were clearly told that we have to be clubbed with these other groups when it comes to seeking a bill for reform. We are being held hostage also by the Hispanic lobbyists, that feel that if smaller bills come up and are passed, there will be no apetite for their bigger issue of legalizing a big core of mostly Hispanic illegal immigrants.

FOR A RECAP- after this administration came into office –Jan 09- We had hopes and were promised that CIR (Comprehensive Immigration Reform) will be taken up, if that fails then smaller bills will be allowed to be taken up. If you have watched the developments carefully –There was never a time and a lot of groups including IV lobbied and lobbied hard to be heard and to get a bill but- the legislative calendar with so much other priorities had no space for any immigration bill this year. After the healthcare bill, Nobody has had any energy for a big controversial bill.

Long story-short is YES, we want a bill (either clubbed with others) or amendments inserted into a bill- But have not been able to get it done.

The reason for this failure is us- IV Members. We have not met our lawmakers in the numbers that are important to make an impact. We have to do it every month- building pressure to get a positive sympathetic response. Now some members (including yours truly) have gone and met our respective lawmakers more than 6-8 times in the last year, but that is again not enough, that is just 20-25 odd members compared to total IV Strength of 40,000members. It has to be an ongoing effort, just like the dream activisits have done, they meet with lawmakers regularly, highlight their frustrations and are open to media –giving interviews and keeping their issue alive in the limelight.

IV has come up with specific recommendations for what we would like to see in a bill/s for our community. IV actively analyses any bill that comes up or has a chance to come up for debate. If you want to get your hands on that document, contact Anu or Pappu and ask for the IV_Advocacy package.

We do have a paid lobbying firm that represent our interests and educates lawmakers. This is not enough, because during debates lawmakers behave as if they do not have highly skilled immigrants in their constituency and so do not have to pay attention. This is mainly IV members fault, since we have not been able to visit lawmakers offices in the numbers that we should. Our members need to show up at lawmakers offices and educate them. Tell them you live in their constituency and represent IV so that when the lobbying firm does their work, they are paying attention and our voices are not ignored or drowned.

Individual members need to be open, honest, and courageous enough to talk to their lawmakers and media about issues we face. Just crying and debating on IV's website does not help. Talk about introducing a bill for us to your lawmakers – not here on IV.

We do not get any attention, because we do not raise our issues and we are not vocal about the problems we face. Now granted, we are a small minority compared to the huge lobby and muscle power the undocumented have. But we need to educate the lawmakers about us. We face real issues and our lives have been held in limbo. We have done everything right, played by the rules, stood in the line, pay taxes, contribute to the society. To get this message across, we need to visit lawmakers offices,and educate them.

This advocacy and raising awareness is an ongoing effort, it cannot be a one day or one month thing. We will not get anywhere overnight, perceptions have to change, there is a whole lot of dynamics at play. The timing, legislative calender and politics in general. But we as a group need to stand up, talk about the issues we face and have our voices heard.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute

We do not get any attention, because we do not raise our issues and we are not vocal about the problems we face. Now granted, we are a small minority compared to the huge lobby and muscle power the undocumented have. But we need to educate the lawmakers about us. We face real issues and our lives have been held in limbo. We have done everything right, played by the rules, stood in the line, pay taxes, contribute to the society. To get this message across, we need to visit lawmakers offices,and educate them.

This advocacy and raising awareness is an ongoing effort, it cannot be a one day or one month thing. We will not get anywhere overnight, perceptions have to change, there is a whole lot of dynamics at play. The timing, legislative calender and politics in general. But we as a group need to stand up, talk about the issues we face and have our voices heard.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/29/2009
Compare
kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute kondur_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomachan72 View Post
tonyHK12 appreciate your inputs. We are already united. IV has several thousand members and has conducted several campaigns. The leaders are very capable persons also. You have put forward a general idea but this has been debated a great deal. What is the purpose of even a poll when it is absolutely clear that everybody in this group would welcome a bill solely for reducing backlogg? The question is how can we get the legislator to write and introduce such a bill and then how to get it to pass. Who will support such a bill? Your desire is similar to everybody else in this group but until there is a definite strategy which is different from what has already been tried there is no point in just creating discussions foccussed on desires.
First think out a strategy and put it out. Others will then coment or join it.
Putting out vague goals like "we need a bill" is of not much use. the question that you need to answer is "how?"
You nailed the point.
I agree with your comments completely.

On a side note: Politicians in this country are not much different than Laloo...
They just different kind of "Ghascharo"....I do miss seeing him on television! (dont have zee tv or sony etc ).
I 140 approved: Sep 2008 Nebraska Service Center
EB1A: I 140 filed: July 2009. Approved 12/09
EB2 NIW: I 140 filed: July 2009. Approved 12/09
I-485 filed Dec 2009
I-485 approved April 2010

Old 09-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjoey View Post
We do not get any attention, because we do not raise our issues and we are not vocal about the problems we face.
.... But we as a group need to stand up, talk about the issues we face and have our voices heard.
You made very good points. May I suggest we ask members to call on the phone too if they're busy? This actually worked in delaying the first Bailout in 2009, when they received numerous calls.
Customer service reps do this for hours everyday in some places.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/08/2011
Compare
Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jeez ... give him a break

Quote:

All you have done is made a phone call to a lawmaker office. Before you start a poll go and meet your lawmaker and learn how to talk to lawmakers. That will be a good start.
What made you think that he was associated with a law office? What makes you an authority to ask people to stand on their feet?

Have you talked to your lawmaker(s)? If so enlighten us with the "learn how to talk to lawmakers" part of your crappy post.

I hope not all "senior" members share your optimistic attitude.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.