Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

View Poll Results: Do you want a new Bill that only aims to reduce EB3 and EB2 visa backlog
Yes we want a new Bill 352 95.65%
No new Bill please, its too much work 16 4.35%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/08/2011
Compare
Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute Mr. Brown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gem of a post ... Thanks!

This post should be in a very prominent place (like About Us etc.) on this website.

The poster has not only made it abundantly clear about the reason for IV's existence but also made it plenty clear about what they have done and more importantly learnt in the past 5 years.

I have been visiting this site on/off for the past couple years and didn't know half of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjoey View Post
We are spinning in circles here and it is like reinventing the wheel. This is THE grassroots org –THAT you want to set-up. already set up to achieve exactly that – YES, YES …We want Congress to introduce a bill to reduce backlogs. The core goal of IV is to have a bill that has our provisions. That is exactly what this organization was set up to achieve. You seem to be a newcomer to this struggle. Have you followed IV from 2005 Dec when a buch of members got together on some other forums and watched helplessly as good provisions (that were meant to allievate our troubles) were taken out at the last minute from a bill during debate.
Since then we have tried and tried and frankly have matured enough to understand that the politics of the immigration issue is complex and any standalone bill –just for us- has no chance.

Our provisions have to be clubbed with all the rest of the minor and major groups – that want reform. There is the nurses lobby, the doctors, the illegal lobby, the dream activists, and many other fringe groups, they all want their issues to be addressed. The anti-immigrants are a big opposition to any small relief that comes up in debate. NOW- We have learnt that we need to work with all these groups, form alliances and lobby hard to get a bill that has more support.

If you go meet with your lawmakers you will understand that our issue is a miniscule little piece of a bigger issue of Immigration. And different varying and sometimes opposing groups have to be accommodated. The politics of immigration is convulted with different factions of the society wanting different things – Our little issue is straightforward and we enjoy a lot more support for our provisions, unfortunately we were clearly told that we have to be clubbed with these other groups when it comes to seeking a bill for reform. We are being held hostage also by the Hispanic lobbyists, that feel that if smaller bills come up and are passed, there will be no apetite for their bigger issue of legalizing a big core of mostly Hispanic illegal immigrants.

FOR A RECAP- after this administration came into office –Jan 09- We had hopes and were promised that CIR (Comprehensive Immigration Reform) will be taken up, if that fails then smaller bills will be allowed to be taken up. If you have watched the developments carefully –There was never a time and a lot of groups including IV lobbied and lobbied hard to be heard and to get a bill but- the legislative calendar with so much other priorities had no space for any immigration bill this year. After the healthcare bill, Nobody has had any energy for a big controversial bill.

Long story-short is YES, we want a bill (either clubbed with others) or amendments inserted into a bill- But have not been able to get it done.

The reason for this failure is us- IV Members. We have not met our lawmakers in the numbers that are important to make an impact. We have to do it every month- building pressure to get a positive sympathetic response. Now some members (including yours truly) have gone and met our respective lawmakers more than 6-8 times in the last year, but that is again not enough, that is just 20-25 odd members compared to total IV Strength of 40,000members. It has to be an ongoing effort, just like the dream activisits have done, they meet with lawmakers regularly, highlight their frustrations and are open to media –giving interviews and keeping their issue alive in the limelight.

IV has come up with specific recommendations for what we would like to see in a bill/s for our community. IV actively analyses any bill that comes up or has a chance to come up for debate. If you want to get your hands on that document, contact Anu or Pappu and ask for the IV_Advocacy package.

We do have a paid lobbying firm that represent our interests and educates lawmakers. This is not enough, because during debates lawmakers behave as if they do not have highly skilled immigrants in their constituency and so do not have to pay attention. This is mainly IV members fault, since we have not been able to visit lawmakers offices in the numbers that we should. Our members need to show up at lawmakers offices and educate them. Tell them you live in their constituency and represent IV so that when the lobbying firm does their work, they are paying attention and our voices are not ignored or drowned.

Individual members need to be open, honest, and courageous enough to talk to their lawmakers and media about issues we face. Just crying and debating on IV's website does not help. Talk about introducing a bill for us to your lawmakers – not here on IV.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyHK12 View Post
You made very good points. May I suggest we ask members to call on the phone too if they're busy? This actually worked in delaying the first Bailout in 2009, when they received numerous calls.
Customer service reps do this for hours everyday in some places.
We have had phone and email campaigns in the past. Phone campaigns work the best when a specific bill is being debated and there is the target 2-3 days campaign. The rest of the time, person-to person presentation is the best.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastindia View Post
Doctors are EB2 and EB1.
They are not EB3

Even Physical therapists are EB2.

EB3 are low level/entry level programmers or skilled workers with with undergraduate degree or diploma degree holders that use education evaluation service to prove that their diploma is equivalent to an undergraduate degree.

Now some of you will say you have masters degree and still are EB3. It does not matter if you have a undergraduate degree from IIT or Harvard and have MBA from Harvard. If your job needs only undergraduate degree your master degrees are useless. You are working in a wrong job and overqualified for your job. You should look for another job that needs your american masters degree. Some will say that their lawyer filed in EB3 even though they qualify for EB2. Now that is also a wrong excuse. If your lawyer and HR screwed you, it is your fault that you could not stand up to them. It is not USCIS fault.
News: You make no sense. Why don't you get out of here back to your asylum?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We have had phone and email campaigns in the past. Phone campaigns work the best when a specific bill is being debated and there is the target 2-3 days campaign. The rest of the time, person-to person presentation is the best.
Yes, I'm in for person to person too. Will check the NY chapter.
The next step is to motivate others. Maybe persons would be more interested if we go out in small groups. Combine it with some other activity. Sometimes travel for chapter meetings can get tough for some, with families, could combine with skype.

There was also a hidden joke about outsourcing phone calls

Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We are spinning in circles here and it is like reinventing the wheel. This is THE grassroots org –THAT you want to set-up. already set up to achieve exactly that – YES, YES …We want Congress to introduce a bill to reduce backlogs. The core goal of IV is to have a bill that has our provisions. That is exactly what this organization was set up to achieve. You seem to be a newcomer to this struggle. Have you followed IV from 2005 Dec when a buch of members got together on some other forums and watched helplessly as good provisions (that were meant to allievate our troubles) were taken out at the last minute from a bill during debate.
Since then we have tried and tried and frankly have matured enough to understand that the politics of the immigration issue is complex and any standalone bill –just for us- has no chance.

Our provisions have to be clubbed with all the rest of the minor and major groups – that want reform. There is the nurses lobby, the doctors, the illegal lobby, the dream activists, and many other fringe groups, they all want their issues to be addressed. The anti-immigrants are a big opposition to any small relief that comes up in debate. NOW- We have learnt that we need to work with all these groups, form alliances and lobby hard to get a bill that has more support.

If you go meet with your lawmakers you will understand that our issue is a miniscule little piece of a bigger issue of Immigration. And different varying and sometimes opposing groups have to be accommodated. The politics of immigration is convulted with different factions of the society wanting different things – Our little issue is straightforward and we enjoy a lot more support for our provisions, unfortunately we were clearly told that we have to be clubbed with these other groups when it comes to seeking a bill for reform. We are being held hostage also by the Hispanic lobbyists, that feel that if smaller bills come up and are passed, there will be no apetite for their bigger issue of legalizing a big core of mostly Hispanic illegal immigrants.

FOR A RECAP- after this administration came into office –Jan 09- We had hopes and were promised that CIR (Comprehensive Immigration Reform) will be taken up, if that fails then smaller bills will be allowed to be taken up. If you have watched the developments carefully –There was never a time and a lot of groups including IV lobbied and lobbied hard to be heard and to get a bill but- the legislative calendar with so much other priorities had no space for any immigration bill this year. After the healthcare bill, Nobody has had any energy for a big controversial bill.

Long story-short is YES, we want a bill (either clubbed with others) or amendments inserted into a bill- But have not been able to get it done.

The reason for this failure is us- IV Members. We have not met our lawmakers in the numbers that are important to make an impact. We have to do it every month- building pressure to get a positive sympathetic response. Now some members (including yours truly) have gone and met our respective lawmakers more than 6-8 times in the last year, but that is again not enough, that is just 20-25 odd members compared to total IV Strength of 40,000members. It has to be an ongoing effort, just like the dream activisits have done, they meet with lawmakers regularly, highlight their frustrations and are open to media –giving interviews and keeping their issue alive in the limelight.

IV has come up with specific recommendations for what we would like to see in a bill/s for our community. IV actively analyses any bill that comes up or has a chance to come up for debate. If you want to get your hands on that document, contact Anu or Pappu and ask for the IV_Advocacy package.

We do have a paid lobbying firm that represent our interests and educates lawmakers. This is not enough, because during debates lawmakers behave as if they do not have highly skilled immigrants in their constituency and so do not have to pay attention. This is mainly IV members fault, since we have not been able to visit lawmakers offices in the numbers that we should. Our members need to show up at lawmakers offices and educate them. Tell them you live in their constituency and represent IV so that when the lobbying firm does their work, they are paying attention and our voices are not ignored or drowned.

Individual members need to be open, honest, and courageous enough to talk to their lawmakers and media about issues we face. Just crying and debating on IV's website does not help. Talk about introducing a bill for us to your lawmakers – not here on IV.
Very Good post.
We salute your efforts in supporting IV, coming to advocacy days in DC this year, monthly contributions, volunteering and going for lawmaker meetings regularly in your state. If each one of us does this, things will be much different for our advocacy efforts.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/29/2012
Compare
smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is menendez serious about CIR?

Menendez Wants CIR During Lame Duck Session

By Jerry Kammer , September 20, 2010
On yesterday's "Al Punto," the Spanish-language TV network Univision's Sunday morning news program, Sen. Robert Menendez said he will introduce "comprehensive immigration reform" legislation in hopes of getting it passed during the upcoming lame duck session of Congress.

"If we are going to be ready for the opportunity that perhaps will exist during the session after the elections -- where many senators are retiring and have the freedom to vote without political considerations -- we have to have something so that we can make progress at that moment in November," the New Jersey Democrat said in an interview with host Jorge Ramos.

If the bill does not pass in November, he said, he and other supporters of the legislation will be ready to move when the new Congress convenes in January.

In a separate segment of the same program, Ramos interviewed Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, who rejected claims that the state's controversial new immigration law, widely known as SB 1070, is racist and anti-Hispanic.

"The Hispanic population is part of our DNA, and that's why it's so painful when persons think that it is based in racism," Brewer said. (This is a translation of the program's Spanish-language voice-over of her remarks.) She called Hispanics "a fundamental part of our culture."

"We passed SB 1070 because we cant accept the costs of illegal immigration," Brewer told Ramos.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/29/2012
Compare
smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is menendez serious about CIR?

dupe post...deleting

Last edited by smuggymba; 09-30-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Donor joining

I decided to join you as a monthly Donor today.

It looks like your organization is the only one doing anything concrete to help legal immigrants. I had trouble finding support on other immigration sites.

This is request to other members and forum browsers, guests to also support their effort.

The recession has been tough, but if I had to choose, my immigration is more important to me than cable TV.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyHK12 View Post
I decided to join you as a monthly Donor today.

It looks like your organization is the only one doing anything concrete to help legal immigrants. I had trouble finding support on other immigration sites.

This is request to other members and forum browsers, guests to also support their effort.

The recession has been tough, but if I had to choose, my immigration is more important to me than cable TV.
Thank you. Welcome to IV.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Old 09-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
Thank you. Welcome to IV.
Thank you for your efforts.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sdeshpan has a reputation beyond repute sdeshpan has a reputation beyond repute sdeshpan has a reputation beyond repute sdeshpan has a reputation beyond repute sdeshpan has a reputation beyond repute sdeshpan has a reputation beyond repute sdeshpan has a reputation beyond repute sdeshpan has a reputation beyond repute sdeshpan has a reputation beyond repute sdeshpan has a reputation beyond repute sdeshpan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCard4US View Post
Every time someone comes up with something new they get shot down here by "certain" other members. They try to find reasons to say it was a bad idea rather than saying something constructive. Give this guy a chance.
Fair enough...I'll wait to see what "constructive" ideas you have to offer regarding this topic. I have seen this beaten to death with discussions and polls and countless posts on analysis, but absolutely ZERO talk of advocacy and/or steps for getting anything in action. If you were to give people something worthwhile to act on or even something that shows your commitment to the cause, I would have no issue.

Anyway, good luck!

Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
Menendez Wants CIR During Lame Duck Session
"The Hispanic population is part of our DNA, and that's why it's so painful when persons think that it is based in racism," Brewer said. (This is a translation of the program's Spanish-language voice-over of her remarks.) She called Hispanics "a fundamental part of our culture."
"We passed SB 1070 because we cant accept the costs of illegal immigration," Brewer told Ramos.
Good point, most people miss the above seperating the two.
I have the highest regard for the hispanic population of this country and their contributions.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute MahaBharatGC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need to do

This thread is interesting to read through and it is always good to have a devils advocate.
However, one thing for sure that saying mistakes are on us in a black and white manner is not justified.

Whatever we decide we should have good communication among all backlogged applicants and follow the established process.
I-485 Receipt Date: July-25-2007
Since year 2000 GC process is like Maha Bharat Saga...
---------------------
yE dESa mEginA, yendugAliDina
yE pITha mekkinA, yevvaredu raina
pogaDarA, nI talli bhoomi bhAratini
niluparA, nI jAti ninDu garvammu
lEdurA iTuvanTi BoodEvi yendu
lErurA manavanTi pouru linkendu...
-Rayaprolu Subbarao

Old 10-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute

Another CIR drama prior to November election.. Let us see, at least if this gets any future than last few attempts in last couple years. Seen many attempts fails, and the introduction of CIR does not cause any excitement... Only if some thing results in a bill getting passed in congress..

Old 10-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_check View Post
Another CIR drama prior to November election..
Yes it kind of feels that way. And see the history - in 2007 CIR they wanted to reduce annual visas for employment categories. Slowly they start adding more tidbits for legals to get things passed. There is still a disadvantage for new H1s, L1s.
What if we do it the other way around? Grant immediate GC to all waiting on EB visas. Subject all illegals to probation rules till they are all validated by the FBI in 10 years. currently illegals identified are sent to detention, and some are put on electronic monitoring.
Let them compete with American citizen labor at American wage levels determined by the govt. Similar to how H1b wage is determined.
EB categories have per country limit, same for labor to preserve diversity. No favoritism.

We should also try to get our bill added to DREAM, as an alternate The army would like it, as DREAM provides a path for illegals to join them to get legal status.
DREAM is an attempt to get illegal college students legal. Their situation has minor similarity to us, but most EBs have many years more training, experience.

Last edited by tonyHK12; 10-02-2010 at 11:39 PM.