Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

View Poll Results: Do you want a new Bill that only aims to reduce EB3 and EB2 visa backlog
Yes we want a new Bill 352 95.65%
No new Bill please, its too much work 16 4.35%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 04:29 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/24/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2007
Compare
ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute ArkBird has a reputation beyond repute

I tried calling and setting up appointment with our local senator and congressman hack even their associates. I was told that they have too much on their schedule to meet with me. I guess:

No vote = No Value...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyHK12 View Post
ok now we have 300!

Precisely, members underestimate the importance of meeting lawmakers in a large scale. When we meet members of Senate and congress all over the country, not only can we get a new Bill, but our provisions could also get attached to any other Bills once they morally support us. But it will not happen if you just send chain mail, its all about building human relations with the law maker staff and make them aware of our problems. That is why family based visas and illegals, kids (DREAM) get ahead as they have the human factor apparent.
With law makers its all about human values, empathy, compassion, etc. - like family, kids. You can forget everything about rocket science, recursion, curve fitting - it doesn't mean anything to them in terms of getting their support. It is difficult for a technical person to understand this and their point of view. It would help to get your extended family involved if you have one.
Even today skill based immigration is not even at the forefront of population growth, as their idea about general population is a bit different and has nothing to do with IQ. that is why extra effort is needed from us.
There has to be a continuous relation maintained with the immigration rep of the law maker.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope4gc View Post
I have a question,
Could you please provide how to get in touch with these political people and how to get their time and explain them? Do we get an appointment?
Also draft of letters to provide them as a refrence?
An Agenda when we visit them?
If you could please provide these guidelines, we will know what all needs to be done and anybody interested would do it.
Please visit Senate.gov to find your Senator and House.gov to find your house rep by ZIP code.
Then you can call them up and fix an appointment with their immigration representative. Generally they may have a date only 2-3 weeks later.
Once you have got a confirmed sate, please contact user StarSun, who will provide you with material and information on what to discuss with the law maker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkBird View Post
I tried calling and setting up appointment with our local senator and congressman hack even their associates. I was told that they have too much on their schedule to meet with me. I guess:
No vote = No Value...
Could you let us know which district this was for both? There is a chance a few law makers out of 500+ may not be sympathetic to our cause. In some cases we could change that, but this is the reason everyone else needs to keep trying with other senators and congressmen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDG View Post
A modest suggestion:

Talk to lawmakers about the redundancy of the Labour Certification and the Quota processes. Explain it this way. An employer needs someone for a job. They advertise the job, and find no qualified Americans for the job. They get the Secretary of Labour to certify that there are no Americans for the job (BTW, that's what a "Labour Certificate" is...it the US Department of Labour certifying there are no Americans qualified to do your job!).

Then that company, who has a need for an employee, needs to wait up to 10 years to hire someone permanently for that job (that's the Visa Number quota system). This is horrible for business productivity.
Yes thats a good point that labor certification seems a bit redundant after the H1 process.Increase or elimination of country quota and a points/skill based system are also one of the longer term priorities of IV. Some of these may fit more into a comprehensive model as the changes would be large. For piecemeal recapture is a simpler option.
IV has a predetermined set of suggestions to improve skill based immigration, including most of the above, which would benefit all immigrants. Will post a link shortly.

Last edited by tonyHK12; 01-18-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Meeting lawmakers doc

Here is a very good document from the 'Advocacy' tab in the IV site on meeting lawmakers:
http://immigrationvoice.org/media/Ho...tLawmakers.doc

Old 01-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pushing our case - EB backlog

Dear All,

While meeting the law makers is certainly the best option, from personal experience I have found it to be difficult. I have however been able to meet our Congressman’s associate handling immigration matters several times.

Some ideas –

1.From personal experience I have noted that “signed” one page letters with a specific an clear subject line helps (For example, subject could be : Bill No. S1085: Seek your kind help to recapture lost visas for the Employment based Green card applicants). It may be slow, but personally I have a feeling that it works better than emails.

2.As it always happens, letters should never be longer than one page, especially when it is going to a government agency. No one even cares to pick up a 4 page letter and read it!

3. Can we all jointly plan :
a.To write a one page letter on Bill S1085 and send thousands of letters in a specific pre-planned window to the President, respective senators and congressmen/women? (Let us not make drafting an issue. With a common subject line on Bill S 1085 we can write a simple letter in our own words)
b.Follow up the letter with the meeting of the Congressman / associate handling immigration?

4. There is no guarantee that this will work miracles, but we can still try. Our “Flower campaign” helped, after all!

5. The next stage could be to stage a mass satyagraha in the typical Gandhian, peaceful way before the White House or the Congress. This can be done in summer, when the weather is good. We need to start planning right away and start mobilizing our EB friends.

I am really not sure how many of our friends would like the ideas!

Best wishes to everyone….

Old 01-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodintentions View Post
Dear All,

While meeting the law makers is certainly the best option, from personal experience I have found it to be difficult. I have however been able to meet our Congressman’s associate handling immigration matters several times.

Some ideas –

1.From personal experience I have noted that “signed” one page letters with a specific an clear subject line helps (For example, subject could be : Bill No. S1085: Seek your kind help to recapture lost visas for the Employment based Green card applicants). It may be slow, but personally I have a feeling that it works better than emails.

2.As it always happens, letters should never be longer than one page, especially when it is going to a government agency. No one even cares to pick up a 4 page letter and read it!

a.To write a one page letter on Bill S1085 and send thousands of letters in a specific pre-planned window to the President, respective senators and congressmen/women? (Let us not make drafting an issue. With a common subject line on Bill S 1085 we can write a simple letter in our own words)
b.Follow up the letter with the meeting of the Congressman / associate handling immigration?

4. There is no guarantee that this will work miracles, but we can still try. Our “Flower campaign” helped, after all!

5. The next stage could be to stage a mass satyagraha in the typical Gandhian, peaceful way before the White House or the Congress. This can be done in summer, when the weather is good. We need to start planning right away and start mobilizing our EB friends.

Nobody write letter. Especially Indians. It cost 40 cents. Emails everyone write. It cost nothing.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute blacktongue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Are you willing sitting outside Congress? Send name address to IV and confirm.

No use ideas if nobody do.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have a question,
Could you please provide how to get in touch with these political people and how to get their time and explain them? Do we get an appointment?
If you could please provide these guidelines, we will know what all needs to be done and anybody interested would do it.
Under the advocacy tab- go to meet the lawmakers guide- read thru the guide...Then go to the contact lawmakers tab- Punch in your zip -find out who your congressmen/women are and your senator.

Get an appointment for 20-30 minutes with the staff that handles immigration issues.
After you get the appointment -contact StarSun- she will send you zips of presentations and 2-3 page document outlying talking points and arguments.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute Goodintentions has a reputation beyond repute
Default EB backlog

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktongue View Post
Are you willing sitting outside Congress? Send name address to IV and confirm.

No use ideas if nobody do.
Dear Friend Blacktongue!

I have read many of your earlier posts. Presumably you are a EB1. That is good. Unfortunately you seem to create some confusion in the minds of many suffering due to the backlog and also seem to derive pleasure by commenting about non EB1 folks! That is your choice, though it is sad. I also remember to have read a note, that you are from China. Not really sure what your intentions are. From our side, we have our own issues and are exploring various avenues to draw the attention of law makers, voice our concerns and address our grievances. I am not interested in vitriolic exchanges or debates here. Many of us have crossed the 10 year mark and have serious issues on different fronts.
If IV or any organized forum come up with a plan, many Indians falling under the EB2/EB3 categories, including myself will support. Incidentally, Satyagraha is a peace method advocated by Mahatma Gandhi, a great leader of our country.
Note: I am sorry to say that going forward I will not respond to any futher comments on this from your end.
Best wishes!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Dear Friend Blacktongue!

I have read many of your earlier posts. Presumably you are a EB1. That is good. Unfortunately you seem to create some confusion in the minds of many suffering due to the backlog and also seem to derive pleasure by commenting about non EB1 folks! That is your choice, though it is sad. I also remember to have read a note, that you are from China. Not really sure what your intentions are. From our side, we have our own issues and are exploring various avenues to draw the attention of law makers, voice our concerns and address our grievances. I am not interested in vitriolic exchanges or debates here. Many of us have crossed the 10 year mark and have serious issues on different fronts.
If IV or any organized forum come up with a plan, many Indians falling under the EB2/EB3 categories, including myself will support. Incidentally, Satyagraha is a peace method advocated by Mahatma Gandhi, a great leader of our country.
Note: I am sorry to say that going forward I will not respond to any futher comments on this from your end.
Best wishes!
Wrong that EB1 not know backlog. I am not mock you. I said what I feel. I understand backlog. I asked who willing to sit and protest. Ideas on forum and practical are different.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute
Default dont bother..

good intentions and others, please do not bother for blacktongue, he/she is just creating controversies in a lot of threads. so, best thing to do is to ignore him/her.

Quote:
Dear Friend Blacktongue!

Best wishes!
485 status - Rotting in NSC with a single RFE
Lost H1, working on EAD. Invoked AC21 twice.
Attended DC Rally and contributed to IV many times.
Renewed EAD 3 times and AP 4 times
Total cost from the H1 days (new h1, extension, ead, ap, 140, 485 etc - $22000)
Total cost if I had bought a labor certification those days and having a GC by now - $15000
Not knowing if GC is this worth - Priceless.
R2I'd in Feb 2011.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have a question,
As many have pointed out, please explore IV forums, there are plenty of places on how to meet with lawmakers - for a general idea. Every IV member can reach me for any help regarding lawmaker meetings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkBird View Post

No vote = No Value...
As a constituent, the lawmaker offices have to hear your concerns. Period. It has nothing to do with your voting status. Be persistent.

Please PM or email me your ph# and I will contact you regarding lawmaker meetings.
202-386-6250
ivcoordinator@gmail.com
Money with active participation is far more powerful - please join your state chapters and meet with your lawmakers.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute StarSun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dear All,

Some ideas –

IV's initiative is for members to meet with lawmaker offices. Your suggestion of writing to lawmakers as substitution to meeting them/staff is counter productive. If you have suggestions, please contact me.
202-386-6250
ivcoordinator@gmail.com
Money with active participation is far more powerful - please join your state chapters and meet with your lawmakers.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Dear All,
1.From personal experience I have noted that “signed” one page letters with a specific an clear subject line helps (For example, subject could be : Bill No. S1085: Seek your kind help to recapture lost visas for the Employment based Green card applicants).
5. The next stage could be to stage a mass satyagraha in the typical Gandhian, peaceful way before the White House or the Congress. ….
Agree with 1,2 mostly, 5 is also a good idea, but members should understand these are all icing on the cake. I would even say they are chocolate sprinkles, not even icing.

Out daily bread and butter and the cake (foundation) is meeting law makers on a large scale ane convincing them of our ideas by maintaining a relationship. This can also easily alternate between multiple members, with each taking turns meeting a single law maker once a month.
without a foundation (law maker support), we cannot just dream of building castles.
S.1085 is under review in the judiciary committee, as you may know 80-90% of Bills never make it out. And even if it does, do you think 500 law makers would support us just because of an email?
Our effort has always been to convey the big picture to law makers about legal immigration and policies. Its better to market policies than a specific Bill. Once they support a policy, this can be attached to any Bill which is already in the floor.

To illustrate this - We previously had a few occasions where our provisions were added to other Bills and appeared on the Floor over the last 3 years. But at the last minute, our provisions were removed before the Bill went for a vote. So its much more about getting support and conveying our issues first to law makers.
As mentioned previously, most of them don't know we really have a problem, and think all is good with USCIS. The only way to communicate this is by meeting them.

You might have seen that with our mail campaign for DREAM, which was a last ditch effort.
We were also previously doing advocacy activities for this, but never got enough people to participate actively to get changes done to DREAM.

Last edited by tonyHK12; 01-18-2011 at 12:25 PM.