Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Mexico
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute
Default U.S. kicks out world's brightest when most needed - Europe says "we want you"

Sad, sad, sad for the United States

Unfortunately, America will regret this. We all wish this wasn't necessary

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ibd/20071211...0071211general

We made history at the DC rally! This is only the beginning and Victory is the only option. We'll reach it together!

Let's focus on more action to stop the U.S. Reverse Brain Drain! Let's not let the iron cool!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07-22-2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07-11-2007
Compare
jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future jthomas has a brilliant future
Post my 2 cents

after reading the article in yahoo. click on recommend this.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
Sad, sad, sad for the United States

Unfortunately, America will regret this. We all wish this wasn't necessary

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ibd/20071211...0071211general
The blue card is like H1B - temporary work visa. I dont think it will lead to migration in hordes from the US. Only people who dont win the H1B lottery will settle for the blue card.

For folks who are in the US for the long haul ( stuck in retrogression GC applicants ), EU still does not offer an alternative.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_hoosier View Post
The blue card is like H1B - temporary work visa. I dont think it will lead to migration in hordes from the US. Only people who dont win the H1B lottery will settle for the blue card.

For folks who are in the US for the long haul ( stuck in retrogression GC applicants ), EU still does not offer an alternative.
From what little I read about the blue card, it seemed it is much from than a H1B. You have more mobility in the sense that it is not tied to a particular employer. You work in your field with whomever is willing to hire you. This is not like the H1B. And you automatically become a permanent resident after a few maybe 5 yrs of employment. Again not like H1B. Years on H1B does not help you get GC any sooner.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute sam_hoosier has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grupak View Post
From what little I read about the blue card, it seemed it is much from than a H1B. You have more mobility in the sense that it is not tied to a particular employer. You work in your field with whomever is willing to hire you. This is not like the H1B. And you automatically become a permanent resident after a few maybe 5 yrs of employment. Again not like H1B. Years on H1B does not help you get GC any sooner.
By "like H1B", I meant "temporary work visa". In some ways its more restrictive than even an H1B i.e. 3 times minimum wage requirement.

BLUE CARD V GREEN CARD

Blue Card
Does not give permanent residency
Valid up to two years, renewable
Allows holders and families to live, work and travel in EU
Applicant must have one-year EU job contract with salary of three times minimum wage
Permanent residency automatic after five years

Green Card
Gives holder permanent residency
Valid for 10 years, renewable
Allows holder to live, work and travel in the US
Five channels to seek a card: employment, family links, a lottery, investment, or resident since before 1972
Holders can become US citizens after five years

Last edited by sam_hoosier; 12-14-2007 at 03:44 PM.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of

I concur that people who have been her for years, and put down roots will not sell their houses and cars and move to EU.
However, that said, remember that it might be 2009 before the blue card is a reality. The blue card is aimed at future immigrants.
If I were 10 years younger, fresh from a good graduate school, with plenty of job offers, knowing what I know of the GC mess, believe me, I would be giving EU a serious look.
In the professional environment, the language barrier is not as high as it is commonly assumed. We have plenty of German, Swedish and Icelandic colleagues, and they all speak excellent English. English is commonly spoken in the professional environment, especially in multi-nationals in the EU.
So yes, there will be an exodus, though you and I will probably be stuck battling here

Quote:

Old 12-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/21/2007
Compare
ssingh92 has much to be proud of ssingh92 has much to be proud of ssingh92 has much to be proud of ssingh92 has much to be proud of ssingh92 has much to be proud of ssingh92 has much to be proud of ssingh92 has much to be proud of ssingh92 has much to be proud of ssingh92 has much to be proud of ssingh92 has much to be proud of

Nothing new in the article. They may increase the H1-B visa numbers but the rest of the problems for legal immigrant will remain same. Specially Desi Employer and Desi Attornies will take advantage from any H1-B visa increase.

Forget about any bill they will pass to easy the processing. The leaders here are busy in Iran, Iraq, Election, Snow storme, Illegal Immegrants, Michel Vick, now MLB .. and so on. Nobody even think about the legal immigrant. This is why they always mix-match with illegal immigrant. And why they should think about you. Your vital records are already in computer. You are already paying all kind of taxes. If you do anything wrong first desi employer will take care of you then US Authorities. They can esily catch you because you are not hiding anywhere. Also you can not hide. Legal immigrants are not a problem for them.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/16/2006
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2006
Compare
bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of
Default Mmmmm... Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
I concur that people who have been her for years, and put down roots will not sell their houses and cars and move to EU.
However, that said, remember that it might be 2009 before the blue card is a reality. The blue card is aimed at future immigrants.
If I were 10 years younger, fresh from a good graduate school, with plenty of job offers, knowing what I know of the GC mess, believe me, I would be giving EU a serious look.
In the professional environment, the language barrier is not as high as it is commonly assumed. We have plenty of German, Swedish and Icelandic colleagues, and they all speak excellent English. English is commonly spoken in the professional environment, especially in multi-nationals in the EU.
So yes, there will be an exodus, though you and I will probably be stuck battling here
Love Europe. Mmmmm vacations. Lifestyle. Politics. Civilization...
Worked in the UK for a couple years. Enjoyed it.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute grupak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not bad at all

3 times the minimum wage for a skilled -worker is not unreasonable at all in the US. It comes to roughly 47K. How reasonable this factor of three in Europe I don't know. 60 (??) days of paid vacation, great culture and food (experience limited to Spain, Italy and Switzerland) sounds great actually. If only Blue card were a reality. On the other hand I love this country and the opportunities I got here to pursue my dream.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare

Quote:
3 times the minimum wage for a skilled -worker is not unreasonable at all in the US. It comes to roughly 47K. How reasonable this factor of three in Europe I don't know. 60 (??) days of paid vacation, great culture and food (experience limited to Spain, Italy and Switzerland) sounds great actually. If only Blue card were a reality. On the other hand I love this country and the opportunities I got here to pursue my dream.
47k ? I dont know what field you are in, but in my field the minimum wage is a lot higher than 47k.

Last edited by sam_hoosier; 12-14-2007 at 05:17 PM.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
Default Minimum wage!!

Quote:
47k ? I dont know what field you are in, but in my field the minimum wage is a lot higher than 47k.
Minimum wage is about $7.25 in NC. I am not talking about the prevailing wage for rocket scientists.

Minimum wage is something the govt. mandates... McDonald cannot get away with paying less than $7.25 per hour.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
Default Some oppose

Seems like countries like Germany is opposed to the Blue card. Anybody know the arguments against it.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ThinkTwice has much to be proud of ThinkTwice has much to be proud of ThinkTwice has much to be proud of ThinkTwice has much to be proud of ThinkTwice has much to be proud of ThinkTwice has much to be proud of ThinkTwice has much to be proud of ThinkTwice has much to be proud of ThinkTwice has much to be proud of

I for sure am leaving once this is put in place.. Most attractive part of the Blue card.. five years and you are assured permanent residency

Old 12-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
Default There is a minimum wage for each job

Quote:
Minimum wage is about $7.25 in NC. I am not talking about the prevailing wage for rocket scientists.

Minimum wage is something the govt. mandates... McDonald cannot get away with paying less than $7.25 per hour.
Isnt there a minimum wage for each job class/type, that is mentioned on your LCA ?

You cannot make the arguement that as a computer programmer you are fine as long as you get 3x what a McDonalds employee gets.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare

Quote:
Seems like countries like Germany is opposed to the Blue card. Anybody know the arguments against it.
Germany's main concern is that the EU might eventually set quotas on the number of immigrants who can enter individual member states.