Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Obama's views on Immigration and H1 increase

Source: http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/26...nology-issues/

Q&A With Senator Barack Obama On Key Technology Issues
Immigration and H1B Visas

MA: What is your position on H1B visas in general? Do you believe the number of H1B visas should be increased?

BO: Highly skilled immigrants have contributed significantly to our domestic technology industry. But we have a skills shortage, not a worker shortage. There are plenty of Americans who could be filling tech jobs given the proper training. I am committed to investing in communities and people who have not had an opportunity to work and participate in the Internet economy as anything other than consumers. Most H-1B new arrivals, for example, have earned a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent abroad (42.5%). They are not all PhDs. We can and should produce more Americans with bachelor’s degrees that lead to jobs in technology. A report of the National Science Foundation (NSF) reveals that blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans as a whole comprise more that 25% of the population but earn, as a whole, 16% of the bachelor degrees, 11% of the master’s degrees, and 5% of the doctorate degrees in science and engineering. We can do better than that and go a long way toward meeting industry’s need for skilled workers with Americans. Until we have achieved that, I will support a temporary increase in the H-1B visa program as a stopgap measure until we can reform our immigration system comprehensively. I support comprehensive immigration reform that includes improvement in our visa programs, including our legal permanent resident visa programs and temporary programs including the H-1B program, to attract some of the world’s most talented people to America. We should allow immigrants who earn their degrees in the U.S. to stay, work, and become Americans over time. As part of our comprehensive reform, we should examine our ability to replace a stopgap increase in the number of H1B visas with an increase in the number of permanent visas we issue to foreign skilled workers. I will also work to ensure immigrant workers are less dependent on their employers for their right to stay in the country and would hold accountable employers who abuse the system and their workers.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold sriramkalyan is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

That is a positive response for us ..May be Democrat President can get us a deal from KEnnedy.

Synonyms for inJustice:
Abuse, breach, crime, damage, dirty deal, discrimination, encroachment, favoritism, grievance, inequality, inequity, infraction, infringement, iniquity, malfeasance, malpractice, maltreatment, mischief, negligence, offense, one-sidedness, oppression, outrage, partiality, partisanship, prejudice, raw deal, rotten deal, ruin, sellout, transgression, trespass, unfairness, unjustness, unlawfulness, villainy, violation, wrongdoing

Old 12-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of

Well, don't forget that during the last CIR debate, it was Mr. Obama who introduced his amendment which grossly favored family migration over skill based migration, by awarding extra points for having a relative in US. The amendment was so unjust that we all heaved a sigh of relief when CIR was finally dead.

I would not place too much weight on the boilerplate response of a candidate running for election.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute
Default That's true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
Well, don't forget that during the last CIR debate, it was Mr. Obama who introduced his amendment which grossly favored family migration over skill based migration, by awarding extra points for having a relative in US. The amendment was so unjust that we all heaved a sigh of relief when CIR was finally dead.

I would not place too much weight on the boilerplate response of a candidate running for election.
I saw both Clinton and Obama voting either against us or abstaining from any immigration proposals which favored legal immigrants. I wouldn't trust them to do anything at all.

Well at this point I don't trust anyone from either party to be favourable to us legal immigrants. All they want are cheap labor of illegal immigrants.

EB3 - India - PD - Sep 2004
I140/485 AP - 08/02/2007
FP - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 2008
AP - 2009
EAD - 2010

Old 12-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpandey View Post
...All they want are cheap labor of illegal immigrants.
Not cheap labor.. votes. And cheap votes too, since once you have them in the pocket, you don't have to spend a dime of campaign money to get 10 mil extra votes.
Not much surprise that many politicians are lining up in front of this ATM.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute lazycis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpandey View Post
I saw both Clinton and Obama voting either against us or abstaining from any immigration proposals which favored legal immigrants. I wouldn't trust them to do anything at all.

Well at this point I don't trust anyone from either party to be favourable to us legal immigrants. All they want are cheap labor of illegal immigrants.
At the end of 2006, I believe, there was a vote on the measure allowing a recapture of visas lost due to the USCIS failure to process green card applications on time. The votes were split 50/50 along the party lines with VP casting a voice against it. Democrats were in favor of it. I understand that congressmen are split on the issue regarding CIR versus piece-meal reform, but I do not understand how the congressmen can be split regarding visa recapture that will provide immediate relief to legal immigrants with no additional money required.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of
Angry

I am not sure if you guys observed this trend. It was in the time of Bill Clinton, that is when the Democrats were in power that the AC21 rule and all the other 485 provisions were passed (along with efforts of ISN). I somehow feel a Democrat govt will help create the immigration reform that we need.

Currently, all what is going on is a fight between Republic and Democrats and all our issues are being squished since it is a political fight for the next govt, rather than solving any issues.

Hoping a miracle happens and some immigration bill gets passed for EB relief during this last phase of Republican govt in 2008.....Next 4 years is surely a Democrat.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default VP's role

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycis View Post
At the end of 2006, I believe, there was a vote on the measure allowing a recapture of visas lost due to the USCIS failure to process green card applications on time. The votes were split 50/50 along the party lines with VP casting a voice against it. Democrats were in favor of it. I understand that congressmen are split on the issue regarding CIR versus piece-meal reform, but I do not understand how the congressmen can be split regarding visa recapture that will provide immediate relief to legal immigrants with no additional money required.
The provision for some high-skills reform was thwarted by Sensenbrenner in the House and Sessions in the Senate and those 2 guys kept it out of the bill because this effort was a last minute effort out-of-order that needs unanimous consent. A single legislator can block it. That's what happened - Sensenbrenner and Sessions.

VP may have cast a tie breaker vote but that vote was on the whole bill, not on this provision.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
- Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize winning physicist.
--------------------------------------------------

Old 12-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default AC21 passed during Republican rule of congress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalGC View Post
I am not sure if you guys observed this trend. It was in the time of Bill Clinton, that is when the Democrats were in power that the AC21 rule and all the other 485 provisions were passed (along with efforts of ISN). I somehow feel a Democrat govt will help create the immigration reform that we need.

Currently, all what is going on is a fight between Republic and Democrats and all our issues are being squished since it is a political fight for the next govt, rather than solving any issues.

Hoping a miracle happens and some immigration bill gets passed for EB relief during this last phase of Republican govt in 2008.....Next 4 years is surely a Democrat.
Yes, AC21 did pass in 2000 when Clinton was President. So did increase in H1 cap for 3 years and the recapture of unused greencards that were unused in the 90s.

However, the Congress was under control of Republicans, not Democrats.

In smaller matters like individual bill of high-skills immigration, Congress plays a bigger role than the President and unless we are talking about a giant bill like CIR, it doesnt matter who the President it. Obama's views on high-skills immigration or H1B are irrelevant. He wants CIR, which is exactly what all Democratic candidates for President want and which is exactly what George Bush as asked for in last 2 years.

If the White House is occupied by Democrat in 2009, it will be same as having George Bush as far as Immigration is concerned. The issue here is the inertia of the Democrats in Congress.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclife View Post
The provision for some high-skills reform was thwarted by Sensenbrenner in the House and Sessions in the Senate and those 2 guys kept it out of the bill because this effort was a last minute effort out-of-order that needs unanimous consent. A single legislator can block it. That's what happened - Sensenbrenner and Sessions.

VP may have cast a tie breaker vote but that vote was on the whole bill, not on this provision.
Are we talking about the 2005 debacle? It was Sensenbrenner more than Sessions as the Senate did pass the amendment to recapture the visa numbers. Sensenbrenner successfully blocked it using the "majority of the majority" thumb rule that Hastert applied to bring any legislation to the house floor for voting.

Had it been on the House floor, it may have passed narrowly. But, it was the major reason for IV to be formed. So, in a way, we have a forum which we would not have if not for that episode.

On the side note, that move by Sensenbrenner cost him his leadership position in the Judiciary committee in the House. I am sure the "bulldog" is licking his wounds in his small office over looking the wall.

Total contibution to IV so far: $550.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Compare
alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, AC21 did pass in 2000 when Clinton was President. So did increase in H1 cap for 3 years and the recapture of unused greencards that were unused in the 90s.

However, the Congress was under control of Republicans, not Democrats.

In smaller matters like individual bill of high-skills immigration, Congress plays a bigger role than the President and unless we are talking about a giant bill like CIR, it doesnt matter who the President it. Obama's views on high-skills immigration or H1B are irrelevant. He wants CIR, which is exactly what all Democratic candidates for President want and which is exactly what George Bush as asked for in last 2 years.

If the White House is occupied by Democrat in 2009, it will be same as having George Bush as far as Immigration is concerned. The issue here is the inertia of the Democrats in Congress.
This CIR or no High skilled immigration stance by the Democrats is really killing us. This combined with the virulent anti-immigrant propaganda of the extreme right wing of the republican party are unbelievable.
Unfortunately the moderate center of either party which is in the majority seems unable to move on this or any other meaningful policy reform. They can't even get done what they mostly agree upon!
The 110th congress like its predecessor seems doomed to be another do nothing chapter in American congressional history.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
Default Wait a second...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1000 View Post
Are we talking about the 2005 debacle? It was Sensenbrenner more than Sessions as the Senate did pass the amendment to recapture the visa numbers. Sensenbrenner successfully blocked it using the "majority of the majority" thumb rule that Hastert applied to bring any legislation to the house floor for voting.

Had it been on the House floor, it may have passed narrowly. But, it was the major reason for IV to be formed. So, in a way, we have a forum which we would not have if not for that episode.

On the side note, that move by Sensenbrenner cost him his leadership position in the Judiciary committee in the House. I am sure the "bulldog" is licking his wounds in his small office over looking the wall.
Wait a minute here, you are mixing too many things.

In 2005, the spending bill got our provisions in (dependent exemption, recapture) in Senate Judiciary committee (that was led by Chairman Arlen Specter). Then it survived the floor vote in the senate. When the bill was taken up in conference committee between House and Senate, the House people got it removed from there (mainly due to opposition from Sensenbrenner). Those provisions were never voted in the House floor. Those provisions were voted in the senate jud committee and the bill version with those provisions was voted on the Senate floor, but they never saw the house floor as those provisions were killed in House-Senate conf committee. This was all in Dec 2005.

Now in Dec 2006, it was a different thing. Cornyn tried to get some SKIL provisions thru unanimous consent into a spending bill. I think this was around 2nd or 3rd Dec 2006. In this, Sessions opposed it. All it takes to defeat a unanimous consent vote is one person to oppose it. Sensenbrenner also vowed to oppose it if it was inserted from House side.

Nonetheless, Sensenbrenner didnt lose his chairmanship because he did all this. He lost it because Republicans lost control of the House of Representatives and all Republican charimen/chairwomen in committees were replaced by Democrats by the new Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute sunny1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wait a minute here, you are mixing too many things.

In 2005, the spending bill got our provisions in (dependent exemption, recapture) in Senate Judiciary committee (that was led by Chairman Arlen Specter). Then it survived the floor vote in the senate. When the bill was taken up in conference committee between House and Senate, the House people got it removed from there (mainly due to opposition from Sensenbrenner). Those provisions were never voted in the House floor. Those provisions were voted in the senate jud committee and the bill version with those provisions was voted on the Senate floor, but they never saw the house floor as those provisions were killed in House-Senate conf committee. This was all in Dec 2005.

Now in Dec 2006, it was a different thing. Cornyn tried to get some SKIL provisions thru unanimous consent into a spending bill. I think this was around 2nd or 3rd Dec 2006. In this, Sessions opposed it. All it takes to defeat a unanimous consent vote is one person to oppose it. Sensenbrenner also vowed to oppose it if it was inserted from House side.

Nonetheless, Sensenbrenner didnt lose his chairmanship because he did all this. He lost it because Republicans lost control of the House of Representatives and all Republican charimen/chairwomen in committees were replaced by Democrats by the new Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.
I forgot about Dec 2006 Skil attempt and I thoroughly understand how unanimous consent works in the Senate. Nevertheless, I did not say he lost his chairmanship. I said he lost his leadership position meaning "ranking membership" to Lamar Smith when the control went to the Dems in 2007 and the word was that the Republicans opposed his candidature because of the "enforcement only" bill he pushed in the house in Dec 2005. I will try to find that article on the net.

Total contibution to IV so far: $550.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Last edited by sunny1000; 12-26-2007 at 09:17 PM.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jasmin45 is infamous around these parts jasmin45 is infamous around these parts jasmin45 is infamous around these parts jasmin45 is infamous around these parts jasmin45 is infamous around these parts jasmin45 is infamous around these parts jasmin45 is infamous around these parts
Default Don't just go by words.. look at their record

Dem's made huge promises during elections and could not pull anything major together in past 1 year. For a common american, its a failure. The change that they were talking about are all up in the air. Do not go just by words as there is a history of flip flopping on words... look at the records. Remember! Sen. declared that he would not run for the highest office in next couple years, when asked by media after the election to Senate. You know now what happened to those words.

Last edited by jasmin45; 12-27-2007 at 03:09 PM.