Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sundar99 is on a distinguished road
Default Let us not fight !

Folks,

Let us cool down the tempers, let us all help a common cause. I am going back to India in a few months to take an academic position, my wife and myself are in academia, we both did Btech in IIT, and our Phds in a top school US, so no offence to any one we too are in h1 currently.

I can frankly tell you, most of the folks who are with me as students, do not think GC is their top priority, they are mainly interested in research. 10 out of the 22 students went back to India and china respectively this year alone on graduation. So folks are not trying to attach themselves to US anymore, since funding in US Univ is coming down ....

Brain Drain in progess now good for Asia, since they get back talented folks to their system again..
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold

Hey Sunder99, Please check your private messages. Thanks, WP
Recd green card in June 2007

Old 02-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tempworker_tn_1 is on a distinguished road
Default I respectfully disagree with houston2005

as the title. I respectfully disagree with houston2005.

let me put it this way. phd, for really smart people, is easy, and they do deserve a green card. phd, also means permanent head demage for the people who don't really want the phd but just want the gc with it. Not so many people want to have the p. head demage, work as a slave for several years, then have to find a job in one year, THEN get a green card. There are much easier ways than this, like finding a job after a master degree, like marrying an american, like practicing FaLunGong for Chinese, a forbiden cult in China so to get GC under political asylum, etc.

I am just trying to be funny. No offense, Thanks.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:52 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute helpful_leo has a reputation beyond repute

hi Sundar99

...exactly my thoughts....ppl who get into a PhD come with a certain mindset, which will neither be encouraged nor discouraged by a GC....and ppl who arent ready to do a PhD wil not join a doctoral course just bcos there is a GC at the end of it (the part i disagreed with houston2005).....honestly, its too much trouble for just a GC.

I also think all of us should be supporting the entire IV agenda, just like IV should incorporate objectives compatible with their broad objectives into its own agenda. Like I posted in my earlier post, I got interested in the whole issue much before PACE (check my earliest posts here) and honestly PACE was a pleasant surprise. I have posted a draft letter at another thread, where we are asking for the language in PACE to be amended so that all US PhDs - present and past- who can prove 1 year of US employment to be allowed to automatically adjust status, as proposed in PACE currently for future PhDs. We are asking this only bcos this was the intent and spirit of the National Academies report from which PACE has been inspired. The link to the letter and thread is:
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151 (PACE amendment suggestions)

I and others within IV interested in PACE would welcome your suggestions on the PACE amendments we have suggested, with your obvious experience and insight into these issues. Thanks for your time.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2005
Compare
houston2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

F4 visa is a surprise for me and perhaps this is one of the best things that can happen to PhD stduents. B'coz as leo mentioned the other things like 5-8 years, stipend and long wait for reserach results suck. But on the positive note, when you complete PhD you see a bright light at the end of tunnel and of course lot of get us rewarded thru good jobs and good recognition.

At some points I too disagree, beacuse I have seen there are lot of graduate students who come here for GC and this is perhaps the reason most of the students stay back and hardly a few percentage return.

I didn't meant to offend any one doing PhD or with PhD and I do share the pain of going thru it myself here at US. I am also glad that I have been very succesful at it and now helping other students.

My opinion was not to place very high hopes on F4 in PACE. I would also support other options that are beneficial for Eb1 and NIW in PACE act.

On the other hand, I know of that every university has Indian Student Association and Chinese Student Association with good memebership and active participation. We can tap into these assocaitions through their bulletin boards by creating awareness about IV and also highilghting the reason to support PACE act because this has act has what they need after graduation.