Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
virald is a glorious beacon of light virald is a glorious beacon of light virald is a glorious beacon of light virald is a glorious beacon of light virald is a glorious beacon of light
Post Choice for president

Has anyone analyzed who would be an ideal president from our point of view? Does IV think any candidate is more pro-legal immigrant than the other?

Last edited by virald; 01-31-2008 at 10:38 PM. Reason: based on suggestion from first reply.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
immigrationvoice1 will become famous soon enough immigrationvoice1 will become famous soon enough
Default Opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by virald View Post
Has anyone analyzed who would be an ideal president from our point of view? Does IV endorse any candidate?
In my opinion IV should not be "endorsing" any candidate and one among the many reasons could be, none of the members of IV have voting rights in this country! Why should IV even think of endorsing anyone in this scenario ?

I guess what you meant to ask was who amongst the current contestants does the IV leadership thinks would be pro legal highly skilled immigrant if he/she happens to get elected to the White House.

Please correct me if I am wrong with the above.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
virald is a glorious beacon of light virald is a glorious beacon of light virald is a glorious beacon of light virald is a glorious beacon of light virald is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that. Yeah, that's what I meant! Edited my OP.

Last edited by virald; 01-31-2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: clarification

Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts TomPlate is infamous around these parts

Hukabee in Republican.
Obama in Democrat.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Estonia
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tiinap is a jewel in the rough tiinap is a jewel in the rough tiinap is a jewel in the rough
Default Choice for president -Obama

I've been trying to research this out of my own curiosity. All candidates speak in rather vague terms at this point in the campaing, but based on the candidates' own websites and media, here's what I've found:

Let's start with Obama:
(quotes from his campaign website):
"Obama believes we must fix the dysfunctional immigration bureaucracy and increase the number of legal immigrants to keep families together and meet the demand for jobs that employers cannot fill. ()
Obama supports a system that allows undocumented immigrants who are in good standing to pay a fine, learn English, and go to the back of the line for the opportunity to become citizens. (presumably, that would include us, if we're lucky, can maybe even get in line before the illegals)

o Fix the Bureaucracy: Obama joined Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL) to introduce the Citizenship Promotion Act to ensure that immigration application fees are both reasonable and fair. Obama also introduced legislation that passed the Senate to improve the speed and accuracy of FBI background checks. ()

"Respect Families: Obama introduced amendments to put greater emphasis on keeping immigrant families together." (Does this include keeping temporary worker families together?

"In the most recent immigration debate on the U.S. Senate floor, Obama fought to improve and pass a comprehensive bill. Obama introduced amendments to put greater emphasis on keeping immigrant families together and to revisit a controversial new points system that never received a proper public hearing. Obama will continue to work for a comprehensive bill that fixes our broken immigration system." ( )

BUT... Here is what Obama said on the Senate floor in June 2007 when the subject of points-based immigration system came up:
"“For decades, American citizens and legal permanent residents have been able to sponsor their family members for entry into our country. For decades, American businesses have been able to sponsor valued employees. The bill before us changes a policy that, while imperfect, has worked well and will replace it with a new, untested, unexamined system to provide visas to immigrants who look good on paper, but who may not have any familial or economic ties to our country.”

"..they support the amendment because the new points system shifts us too far away from the value we place on family ties and moves us toward a class-based immigration system.."

“Our current immigration system delivers the lion’s share of green cards – about 63% -- to family members of Americans and legal permanent residents, while roughly 16% of visas are allocated to employment-based categories. The bill before us would reduce visas allocated to the family system in order to dramatically increase the proportion of visas distributed based on economic “points.” Once implemented, these new economic points visas would then account for about 40% of all visas, while family visas would account for less than half of all visas, with the remainder going for humanitarian purposes.”

First of all, believes the current system has worked "well"!
Wants to see a continuation of the system where family-based immigration is given priority
Seems to be glad that only 16% of GC go to EB
Laments the fact that 40% may go to educated immigrants under the points system. More educated immigrants, oh the horror!

Votes: Voted in favor of amendment to cut proposed guestworker program in half in 2007

He's making some vague but good promises about fixing the system, and seems to be aware key issues like FBI namechecks. But the track record of what he has done in the Senate is pretty horrible. The points system would have given a huge advantage to anyone working in the US currently and Obama played a big role in taking that off the agenda.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doesnt matter.

It doesnt matter who the President is, on issues of legal skilled immigration.

Immigration reform, like any other big reform, needs changes in laws, which needs initiations and actions from CONGRESS.

In Congress, we have a presistent problem of a filibustering senate.

What we need in 2008 elections is the kind of senators who oppose us to lose elections and pro-immigration senators to win elections. Not only that, if one party gets over 55-57 senators, then filibuster threat is mitigated severly, because its easy to find 3-4 senators from minority party to break ranks and vote FOR a particular bill or amendment.

So what you need is a heavily tilted senate that has over 55 senators of just one party so that they can overcome filibuster and legislate big fixes for a change rather than naming post-offices and passing budgets.

The senate has 100 seats, with each senator facing election every 6 years. So each election cycle (every 2 years) there are one third of senators facing re-election.

This time, there are 34 senators facing re-election. Out of this 22 are Republicans and 12 are Democrats. Republicans have more seats to defend then Democrats. Plus about 4-5 Republicans are retiring so its easier to pick up those seats for Democrats than to beat a sitting senator.

If a Democratic tide takes place, then senate could tilt heavily Democratic in 2008 and would take care of filibuster issue where each measure needs 60 votes to pass. Nonetheless, you have to remember that Democrats or Republicans are easily divided when legislating immigration and it has a way of dividing parties like no other. Last year, Immigration CIR bill faced opposition from both sides - Republican and Democratic.

THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OR SUPPORT OF ANY KIND FOR ANY PARTY OR CANDIDATE. IV is NEUTRAL AND IT ALWAYS HAS BEEN.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
- Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize winning physicist.
--------------------------------------------------

Last edited by logiclife; 02-01-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Estonia
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tiinap is a jewel in the rough tiinap is a jewel in the rough tiinap is a jewel in the rough

Right, the Senate is definitely the key. Because after all, right now we have a president who has always supported expanding legal immigration and look how far that has taken us in the last 8 years .
Still, the President has important powers:
  • (S)he can set the course on this issue, and continue to push for CIR and shape the discussion in a positive direction, or just neglect this topic.
  • More importantly, the President has veto powers. If our president will be Romney, I'm afraid he'd veto bills that do anything to expand legal immigration, and just ramble on about the fence. If our president will be Hillary, I'm afraid she might gladly sign a bill that wipes out the H1B program (she has said that she wants to have a temporary worker program for agriculture only) or cuts back on EB immigration even further.

I think our fates do depend to some extent on who the next President will be. I'm just curious who should I be rooting for and who should I recommend that my U.S. citizen friends vote for, because it's hard to make sense of their message.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
Becks will become famous soon enough Becks will become famous soon enough
Default John McCain

Few of my friends had expressed their views that John McCain is better than others when immigration matters. But who ever comes they have to understand legal skilled immigrants problem because these are the people who contribute more to the economy.
485 Filed: 07/02/2007 (NSC) -- Approved on 07/12/2011
AC21: 05/2008
RFE : 03/2009 (EVL)
I485 Approved: 07/12/2011

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Old 02-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Compare
alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me, whether we like it nor not, whether it is fair or not, whether it is sensible or not, whatever, whenever this issue has come up since 2005, despite efforts to separate them our issue is tied up with the fate of the issue of the illegals in legislators minds.
American legislators(collectively) don't seem willing or able to deal with these issues separately.
So, though from a philosophical perspective I remain neutral on the issue of legalization of the status of illegal immigrants, I feel our best interests are served with a pro CIR candidate, whatever the stated position about legal highly skilled immigration. They simply don't seem ready to move on that without CIR. Whatever the consequences for the economy and global competitiveness.

Overall a McCain vs either Obama/Clinton would be OK for us, since at the very least the temperature of the debates on the issue of immigration will be less and the tone of the debate more rational and reasoned. Also that match up would make it less likely for a 3rd candidate. Romney would have fanned the flames of the anti immigrants. I write in the past tense because the or"MITT"uaries on that campaign are already being written for publication after Feb 5th.

Agree with logiclife that election of pro immigrant senators would help. That seems to me, to mean democratic gains except blue dog democrats, since that would help them push legislation through. All in all we want immigration to remain in the discussion, but the conversation to be less emotive and more reasoned and rational and civil.

Last edited by alterego; 02-02-2008 at 12:22 AM.