Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   IV Agenda and Legislative Updates (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/)
-   -   Please Stay Tuned: Washington DC sept 2006 updates (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/1776-please-stay-tuned-washington-dc-sept-2006-updates.html)

GCard_Dream 09-22-2006 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yabadaba
u r completely wrong.

Thanks for the kind words. The reason I was asking was because I was confused. I didn't say one way or the other. I said I was confused but thanks for the clarification. It's clear now.

$eeGrEeN 09-22-2006 04:15 PM

Check out this article

http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/9840/1/340

beppenyc 09-22-2006 04:15 PM

Question:

Let`s assume that the Skill amandement or the CRI amendement passed, what`s happen after: Conference with the house?

go2roomshare 09-22-2006 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beppenyc
Let`s assume that the Skill amandement or the CRI amendement passed, what`s happen after: Conference with the house?

Be realistic. Looks like none of immigrant ( either legal or not) is not going to pass this time. Congress is busy with all kind of border security bills. No one cares about legal immigrats issues at this time

willgetgc2005 09-22-2006 05:40 PM

IV Core----Mr Gillespie

IV Core,

I saw Mr Gillespie today on CNN during the situation room program.
He mentioned something about Immigration. I was not able to hear
the audio. I hope you guys are working with him or have some level of
access to him. He seems very influential.

If you can , pls give some info.

Thank You.

Raju 09-22-2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willgetgc2005
IV Core,

I saw Mr Gillespie today on CNN during the situation room program.
He mentioned something about Immigration. I was not able to hear
the audio. I hope you guys are working with him or have some level of
access to him. He seems very influential.

If you can , pls give some info.

Thank You.

Usually situation room repeats again after couple of hours. If possible, someone can watch again and post the details.

pdakwala 09-23-2006 10:54 AM

People Calm down

There is no information that CIR or SKIL bill will be introduced an an amendment to HR 6061.

At this point in time there won't be any amendments that will be considered in Senate for this bill except one of the two introduce by Frist. The first amendment #5031 from Senator Frist is for the (date of enactment) and second one is the 2nd-degree amendment (#5032) to amendment #5031.

As you know situation is changing every second in DC. Any thing can happen. No one can predict what though. Best thing to do is to support IV by contributing so that IV can carry on its activity. Things will be clear in next few days.

pappu 09-23-2006 12:33 PM

IV core team is working hard to get somethiing done. We are exploiting every opportunity that comes our way. IV core is also in touch with lawmakers and following the events closely. IV is hopeful and needs everyone's support in this effort. Please contribute and help increase our membership at this time. If there are going to be any action alerts it will be posted on the forum.

Widget 09-23-2006 02:23 PM

Iwas listining tothe radio AM:640 AND it was mentioned that anamendment farmers willbe attached.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappu
IV core team is working hard to get somethiing done. We are exploiting every opportunity that comes our way. IV core is also in touch with lawmakers and following the events closely. IV is hopeful and needs everyone's support in this effort. Please contribute and help increase our membership at this time. If there are going to be any action alerts it will be posted on the forum.

yabadaba 09-23-2006 04:01 PM

awesome coverage on cnn- in the money

hey guys, i was having lunch in a restaurant this afternoon and they had one of the tvs on cnn. Jack Cafferty's programme "in the money" was airing. Luckily the closed captioning was on so i could follow the segment. there was a whole segment on legal high skilled immigrants. There was a person named Michael (didnt catch his last name) talking about all our issues, whether how more than half of 140k visas go to spouses and children along will reverse brain drain of ppl who studied here going back.

jack cafferty pretty much follows lou dobbs train of thought typically, so i was shocked to him agreeing that this was a failed policy.

i ll keep my eyes open and see if i can paste the transcript later.

the program repeats on sun @ 3 as per cnn.

waitnwatch 09-23-2006 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdakwala
There is no information that CIR or SKIL bill will be introduced an an amendment to HR 6061.

At this point in time there won't be any amendments that will be considered in Senate for this bill except one of the two introduce by Frist. The first amendment #5031 from Senator Frist is for the (date of enactment) and second one is the 2nd-degree amendment (#5032) to amendment #5031.

As you know situation is changing every second in DC. Any thing can happen. No one can predict what though. Best thing to do is to support IV by contributing so that IV can carry on its activity. Things will be clear in next few days.

It appears in the list of proposed amendments (SA5028 I think) on thomas.loc.gov. So technically it has already been introduced as an amendment. Regarding whether it will be considered is a totally different story. Also SA5028 is called CIR and has a section titled SKIL. My feeling is that the Democrats want the Republicans to vote against the amendment. If the Republicans vote against the amendment they can say that the Republicans are flip-flopping and donot want serious reform. If the Republicans vote for it and pass HR6061 in an amended form it will go down in the house. Then the Republicans cannot go into the election recess saying that they are protecting the borders.

Either way the whole issue reeks of election year politics. If this is not politics then I am conjuring up theories and everybody in DC have had a sudden change of mind and they will give green cards and citizenship to all comers.

So which is it. Anybody willing to conjecture about how each party is playing the game of oneupmanship.

brb2 09-23-2006 07:01 PM

If I were NumbersUSA, strategically I would not put my head in the sand and let the curent congress pass something moderate. By doing what they are doing now the outcome from their point will be bad. The mainstream US population wants the borders secure and some sort of legalization of those already in - just like Bush and Specter. But the right wing minority which has a shrill voice on talk back radio and on sites like Numbers USA is not willing to give an inch and might loose a foot early next year. Due to many reasons, including Iraq, Republicans will likely get a severe thrashing in the November polls. In the worst case scenario, control of both the house and senate might pass to Democrats and then they will pass a much more liberal CIR . That is the scenario I can conjecture:)

Regarding right now, republicans want to focus only on border control whereas the democrats want the hispanic vote back - Bush got around 44% - an all time high for the Republicans. Democrats will show they tried but failed to help the hispanics. But come election only Iraq will be in the memory of the voters not border security or CIR. None of the current legislation will afect the election outcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waitnwatch
It appears in the list of proposed amendments (SA5028 I think) on thomas.loc.gov. So technically it has already been introduced as an amendment. Regarding whether it will be considered is a totally different story. Also SA5028 is called CIR and has a section titled SKIL. My feeling is that the Democrats want the Republicans to vote against the amendment. If the Republicans vote against the amendment they can say that the Republicans are flip-flopping and donot want serious reform. If the Republicans vote for it and pass HR6061 in an amended form it will go down in the house. Then the Republicans cannot go into the election recess saying that they are protecting the borders.

Either way the whole issue reeks of election year politics. If this is not politics then I am conjuring up theories and everybody in DC have had a sudden change of mind and they will give green cards and citizenship to all comers.

So which is it. Anybody willing to conjecture about how each party is playing the game of oneupmanship.

prince_waiting 09-23-2006 07:49 PM

Here is the transcript of the on the money show on CNN

SERWER: Every 31 seconds a foreign-born person is added to the U.S. population. Undocumented workers crossing the Mexican borders get the headlines, but our next guest says that 25 percent of immigrants are well educated, that is they've earned at least a master's degree. Joining us now with more on this trend is Michael Fix, vice president and director of studies at the Migration Policy Institute. Michael welcome to the program.

MICHAEL FIX, MIGRATION POLICY INSTITUTE: I'm pleased to be here. Thank you.

SERWER: Tell us about these immigrants, who are well educated. I guess obviously they're helping our economy?

FIX: Well, we tend to focus on the immigration debates, we are tending to focus on the low-skill and the undocumented immigrants who are coming across our borders, but in fact, you know, a quarter of immigrants who come into the United States are highly educated. They have a B.A. or higher, and they are good for the economy.

They are primarily in the areas of science and engineering where we see a lot of productivity coming forward and they are, you know, if you think back to 1990, the foreign-born have won half of the Nobel Prizes that have been won by the United States in science and engineering, they contribute to patents, and they are very much in fields that generate new learning and new technology.

ROGERS: I don't know about all of you, but I love to chatting up cab driver, so I swear not a week goes by that I am talking to one of them and they say well, where I come from I was an accountant or I was a teacher, and they have these advanced degrees, but it doesn't seem they are getting matched up with high-skilled jobs here, is that a problem, is that a real trend?

FIX: You know we don't know exactly how much of a problem that is. We did a little study of that and we found that the share of the foreign-born with a college degree or more that was low income was twice of the share of the native born that was low income that had a college degree.

This is a question of credentials, and we haven't done a perfect job, and we as a country haven't thought about translating the credentials that people come in with and their educational backgrounds that they come in with into U.S. market terms. It is an area that Australia invests in heavily, it is an area that Canada invests in heavily, it is not, has not historically been a focus of our policies and it should be a focus of our policies we would argue.

CAFFERTY: Address the conventional wisdom for a minute that suggests that a lot of foreign-born people come here for their education, study at some of the greatest schools in all the world, our colleges and universities and take their degree and their education to go home and use it to compete against the United States in the world marketplace. Is that a fallacy or is there some truth to that?

FIX: Well, there is some truth to that, but I think the point that I would make is that, if you look at these high-skilled immigrants, almost all of them come to the United States after they are 21 years old. In other words, the United States is taking advantage of the education that these people have received abroad; we are leveraging that education now.

To be sure, a lot goes, a fair number go home, but our policies have also in the recent years pushed people out of the country after they have received their education to go home. So for fairly good reasons and we don't want undue competition with native workers, but I think it is time to rethink these policies and to rethink them hard. If you have looked to the future, a recent study that we have issued, predicts that 90 percent of scientists in the year 2010 will live in Asia.

SERWER: So, Michael, are you saying that our immigration policies need to be addressed? Are these people hindered then and how are they connected in any way to unskilled workers, and they are all looking at the same type of rules, aren't they?

FIX: No, I think that we are looking at rather different rules. Our policies in the United States have historically underemphasized employment-based immigration. We actually don't make that many slots available for high skilled immigrants in the economy. There we give out about 140,000 green cards and admit a million immigrants a year, but 140,000 green cards for high-skilled immigrants, but only half of those go to the engineers and the scientists themselves, the other half goes to the family members, and the other thing we do is we admit a lot of our scientists and engineers on temporary which assumes that they will go back eventually and we admit them on a temporary basis but the jobs they come for are permanent and it is time I think to link the admission to the reality of the permanent jobs that people are coming in for.

CAFFERTY: Interesting stuff. Michael, we have to leave it there. I thanks you for joining us today on IN THE MONEY.

asanghi 09-24-2006 01:50 AM

60 minutes

60 minutes is a very popular news show, and is watched by millions of Americans. A few years back they did a story on IITs, and almost every American I met (not even in Tech related field) was asking me about IITs for a while.

We should ask them to do a story. No harm in asking, but in fact I think they might even do it.

Pappu I sent you a PM regarding the same. Please advise me.

Thanks