Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   IV Agenda and Legislative Updates (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/)
-   -   Please Stay Tuned: Washington DC sept 2006 updates (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/1776-please-stay-tuned-washington-dc-sept-2006-updates.html)

Pineapple 09-29-2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dixie
making the entire site subscription only will make it impossible to attract new members. As it is, we have only 6000 members and only 2000 of those are active (and probably half of those contributing). But I think we do need to make some important update threads open to only contributing members. That will cut down on free-loaders, trolls and imbeciles doing the rounds.

Good idea... as an aside (though this has probably been brought up before), can we have paid adverts? It might have aesthetic drawbacks, but I'm sure plenty of businesses/institutions would love to have such a targeted audience..

MY_GC_DREAMS 09-29-2006 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineapple
Good idea... as an aside (though this has probably been brought up before), can we have paid adverts? It might have aesthetic drawbacks, but I'm sure plenty of businesses/institutions would love to have such a targeted audience..

It really doesnt sound like good Idea.
Generally people become member of any paid site and pay up membership fees is when the returns are guarenteed or expectations with which you pay are met. IV has to show some real concrete gain from their effort to make unpaid member realise that If they dont become paid member they are missing something. Only thing we hear now from IV members is they are struggling very hard and contribute money, which I am sure is true but it is not reflecting in final outcome. So many members may be thinking why to pay up for effort which is not showing results at the end. because thats what members are paying for 'Good End Result'.
You are correct many unpaid member are coming here for Information and forum debates but if you will make this paid site this all member will go someplace else for Info & debates as its available on many free sites.

nomi 09-29-2006 05:47 PM

Got this email from NumberUSA
 
From: Roy Beck, President, NumbersUSA
Date: Friday 29SEP06 2 p.m. EDT


Great News: looks like Senate will vote on 700-mile fence -- need final phone calls

Keep up with all new developments in the House and Senate at www.NumbersUSA.com.
TIDE MAY BE TURNING OUR WAY

We just got word from a knowledgeable insider that Senate Majority Leader Frist (R-TN) has figured out a way to bring a "clean" fence bill to the floor of the Senate for a final vote.

1. IF YOU HAVEN'T CALLED YOUR 2 SENATORS, PLEASE PICK UP THE PHONE NOW AND URGE THEIR "YES" VOTE.

2. IF YOU ALREADY HAVE CALLED YOUR SENATORS, CONSIDER CALLING THE SENATORS FROM SMALL-POPULATION STATES IN YOUR PART OF THE COUNTRY (we have fewer members there, so those Senators probably need a lot more calls).

Just call the Senate Switchboard and ask for the Senator by name. Many of you have written that you can't afford to make these calls and are asking for faxes. It is too late for the fax attack. Only phone calls at this late moment will do the job on this vote. (But I certainly understand and accept that some of you can't afford the phone calls.)

U.S. Senate Switchboard
202-224-3121

If the Switchboard number is busy, you may want to call the direct line of the Senator. You can find that direct number at:

http://www.numbersusa.com/congressinfo/

As I told you very early this morning, the Senate voted 71-28 last night to stop debate and allow a vote to happen. But many of the ones who voted right did so to get public credit while working behind the scenes to procedurally keep a vote from happening before Congress leaves town this weekend until after the election.

I have no doubt that the fact that thousands of you have been calling Senators all day is part of the reason that Frist feels he can now bring the House of Representatives' fence bill to a final vote and prohibit any bad amendments.

We now need 51 votes.

It won't be easy. Democratic leadership seems to be pushing for a united Democratic stand against the fence.

We will need most Republicans to vote the opposite way. But between 15 and 20 Republican Senators are fairly committed to some kind of amnesty and hate the idea of slowing down the flow of cheap foreign workers at the Mexican border. Their corporate donors and friends are begging them to keep the smuggling paths open (few illegal aliens get across the border any more without the help of smugglers).

But those open-border Republicans have been under gigantic pressure from you and people like you. They have fought like crazy to keep from having a recorded vote on issues like the fence. Now, they will have to decide whether to please you or their outlaw corporate friends (as opposed to most business owners who obey the law and agree with us).

SENATORS WHO ARE MOST LIKELY TO BE ON THE FENCE AND WHO MOST NEED CALLING

This is a list of Senators whose combined immigration actions during this Congress (2005-06) have earned them overall grades of D+ through B-minus.

That means they have gone back and forth a lot between good actions and bad. The Republicans on this list are torn between their outlaw corporate friends and their voters. The Democrats on this list are torn between their voters and Democratic Party leaders who tell them that open borders provide a net increase of hundreds of thousands of new Democratic voters each year.

Your job this afternoon is to make sure both Republicans and Democrats on this list know just how much the voters in their state care about this.

rbharol 09-29-2006 05:50 PM

What is purpose?
 
What is the purpose of the post?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomi
From: Roy Beck, President, NumbersUSA
Date: Friday 29SEP06 2 p.m. EDT


Great News: looks like Senate will vote on 700-mile fence -- need final phone calls

Keep up with all new developments in the House and Senate at www.NumbersUSA.com.
TIDE MAY BE TURNING OUR WAY

We just got word from a knowledgeable insider that Senate Majority Leader Frist (R-TN) has figured out a way to bring a "clean" fence bill to the floor of the Senate for a final vote.

1. IF YOU HAVEN'T CALLED YOUR 2 SENATORS, PLEASE PICK UP THE PHONE NOW AND URGE THEIR "YES" VOTE.

2. IF YOU ALREADY HAVE CALLED YOUR SENATORS, CONSIDER CALLING THE SENATORS FROM SMALL-POPULATION STATES IN YOUR PART OF THE COUNTRY (we have fewer members there, so those Senators probably need a lot more calls).

Just call the Senate Switchboard and ask for the Senator by name. Many of you have written that you can't afford to make these calls and are asking for faxes. It is too late for the fax attack. Only phone calls at this late moment will do the job on this vote. (But I certainly understand and accept that some of you can't afford the phone calls.)

U.S. Senate Switchboard
202-224-3121

If the Switchboard number is busy, you may want to call the direct line of the Senator. You can find that direct number at:

http://www.numbersusa.com/congressinfo/

As I told you very early this morning, the Senate voted 71-28 last night to stop debate and allow a vote to happen. But many of the ones who voted right did so to get public credit while working behind the scenes to procedurally keep a vote from happening before Congress leaves town this weekend until after the election.

I have no doubt that the fact that thousands of you have been calling Senators all day is part of the reason that Frist feels he can now bring the House of Representatives' fence bill to a final vote and prohibit any bad amendments.

We now need 51 votes.

It won't be easy. Democratic leadership seems to be pushing for a united Democratic stand against the fence.

We will need most Republicans to vote the opposite way. But between 15 and 20 Republican Senators are fairly committed to some kind of amnesty and hate the idea of slowing down the flow of cheap foreign workers at the Mexican border. Their corporate donors and friends are begging them to keep the smuggling paths open (few illegal aliens get across the border any more without the help of smugglers).

But those open-border Republicans have been under gigantic pressure from you and people like you. They have fought like crazy to keep from having a recorded vote on issues like the fence. Now, they will have to decide whether to please you or their outlaw corporate friends (as opposed to most business owners who obey the law and agree with us).

SENATORS WHO ARE MOST LIKELY TO BE ON THE FENCE AND WHO MOST NEED CALLING

This is a list of Senators whose combined immigration actions during this Congress (2005-06) have earned them overall grades of D+ through B-minus.

That means they have gone back and forth a lot between good actions and bad. The Republicans on this list are torn between their outlaw corporate friends and their voters. The Democrats on this list are torn between their voters and Democratic Party leaders who tell them that open borders provide a net increase of hundreds of thousands of new Democratic voters each year.

Your job this afternoon is to make sure both Republicans and Democrats on this list know just how much the voters in their state care about this.


nomi 09-29-2006 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbharol
What is the purpose of the post?


Mean nothing for US. No relief for us. They just want to pass all security or stupid fence bills so they can ask for vote in election by saying that we secure the country so vote for us. Nothing for us.

MY_GC_DREAMS 09-29-2006 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomi
Mean nothing for US. No relief for us. They just want to pass all security or stupid fence bills so they can ask for vote in election by saying that we secure the country so vote for us. Nothing for us.

Then why are you urging people to call senators ??

Widget 09-29-2006 06:03 PM

Extract from OH Law firm
 
Do not loos hope, I just wanted you to know what is going on. We will keep trying.

09/29/2006: All the House Attempts to Attach Immigration Bills to DHS and DOD 2007 Spending Bills Failed

* Report indicates that the House attempt to attach any immigration bills, legal or illegal, to the Department of Homeland Security and Department of Defense 2007 Spending Bills, at the last minute before the October recess failed. There were strong oppositions to any piecemeal immigration legislations that could negatively affect the nation's critical need for a comprehensive solution to the broken immigration system.
* The result of the House's agenda as demonstrated during the Summer will be judged by the outcome of the November election. Should balance of the seats in the House and the Senate tips towards the Democrats, the opposition to the piecemeal immigration legislations is expected to pick up the strength and the political forces that demand the comprehensive immigration reform may also gain the strength. One way or another, there will be a judgment for the failed Congress. Please sit back, relax, and watch how the judgment will unfold in November.

nomi 09-29-2006 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MY_GC_DREAMS
Then why are you urging people to call senators ??

Dude...NumberUSA works against us. NumberUSA is ask their people to call and approve this bill. I posted that message so we all know how many org are working against us and how organized they are !!!

I hope you get my point.

MY_GC_DREAMS 09-29-2006 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomi
Dude...NumberUSA works against us. NumberUSA is ask their people to call and approve this bill. I posted that message so we all know how many org are working against us and how organized they are !!!

I hope you get my point.

dude, I think you are the confused one.
Read your post again and read your explanation.

gg_ny 09-29-2006 06:14 PM

After a long week of expectations, and disappointments, last few exchange of
postings is indeed a comic relief. Please keep going, don't stop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MY_GC_DREAMS
dude, I think you are the confused one.
Read your post again and read your explanation.


nomi 09-29-2006 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MY_GC_DREAMS
dude, I think you are the confused one.
Read your post again and read your explanation.

Dude you should go to NumberUSA website and read who they are and what they do...

ilwaiting 09-29-2006 06:21 PM

Very funny!.

nomi, I'm sure, Everyone in this forum knows about nxxxsusa and their wrong propaganda.

MY_GC_DREAMS 09-29-2006 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian_Dream
Disclaimer: I am not discrediting IV's efforts. I am a paid and active member of IV. I will stand by IV becasue I think it is the only organisation of like minded folks like us working hard to do something for us.

That said, I feel sorry about the sad state of affairs we are in, everytime we see a bill like S1932, HR6061 or S2611 etc we feel like our problems are going to be addresses but in the end, these bills seems to address everything and anything but our issues. There will be numerous hours of debate on AgJobs etc but not a minute for skilled legal immigrants. There are 3 AgJobs amendments in this enforcement only bill. I think we are all taken for a ride just because we belong to a country with huge supply pool, as long as this situation prevails it is hard to convince law makers that there is an emergency to address our issues, no matter how pressing these are. I am seeing EB2 folks from all around the world are moving ahead (with two incomes, part time jobs and all the benefits of EAD/GC) and we are in this hopeless situation. I think we are fast becoming an underclass because of low income levels (below or around average household income from one working member per household) comapred to others with similar skill levels. This itself should be a reason enough to address our issues or may be another way of saying pack up and let the new herd come in !!!! Check C-SPAN and see what the debate is about !!!

You have raised a very valid point.
If you think about it, Let alone EB2 but even illegal and low income class group has raised their Issues and demands more effectively then us EB3. at least they made all nation aware of their issues.

GCard_Dream 09-29-2006 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MY_GC_DREAMS
Let alone EB2 but even illegal and low income class group has raised their Issues and demands more effectively then us EB3. at least they made all nation aware of their issues.

You are absolutely right. To this date, I am yet to hear any member of the congress publicly say anything about the problems faced by legal immigrants. As soon as you mention "Legal Immigration", the first and only thing folks in DC think that you are asking for more H1-B numbers. It's almost like they don't even know (or care) what a backlog is. It is beyond imagination how ignorant law-makers can be on this issue.

Undocumented folks have lot of people behind them which means a big voting block. All law-makers know about the H1-Bs because big companies keep asking for it and American people keep complaining about it so it gets lot of media attention. We, however, neither have big numbers nor lot of money to get our voices heard. That my friend is the reason why no one cares about the problems in GC process. Companies will get their H1-B increase sooner or later and illegal folks will get some kind of relief sooner or later. That's set in stone. Who will get screwed is just us stuck in never ending GC process.

Therefore, we need to grow in number. Every time I log in I see there are 3 or 4 times more guests than members who have signed up. Even if you don't want to pay or can't afford to pay (which I really doubt), the least you can do is to sign up as a member. By doing that you are giving IV an upper hand when they are discussing our problem with the law-makers. It makes a difference if you are representing sixty thousand people as opposed to six thousand people. Again, this is how illegal folks get their voices heard. They are big in number. Number of members does matter.

If you can't afford to spend few minutes of your time to sign up as a member and yet still come to this site everyday to check if some relief has been accomplished, let me assure you that you will be checking this site for a long long time. Let me just say this at the end:

..... PLEASE HELP US HELP YOU .........

Jimi_Hendrix 09-29-2006 07:33 PM

How about giving out flyers about IV outside..
 
INS Application Processing Centers? This is a great place to interact with people who might be stuck in this arduous immigration process. For people who have not yet heard of IV this is a great place to give out flyers. Especially since Saturdays are working days for these centers, some of us working folks can also target people on those days. I am from Southern California. If there are volunteers in this area who want to do something about this, send me a pm.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c)ImmigrationVoice.org