Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future
Default Prevent Visa Wastage Early: Bay Area -- Call Zoe Lofgren

All,

If you read Ron Gotcher's forums you know that CIS is not processing enough cases to use up the annual quota -- yet freaking AGAIN. Which means they will throw away EB greencards yet again, even as the backlog grows and they keep certain countries retrogressed beyond reason.

If they need to use overtime, they should start doing so NOW and not wait for the last month of the last fiscal quarter (July-Sept). We are about to start the third quarter of the fiscal year (Apr-June).

It might also be the case that they are reallocating staff to process the citizenship backlog.

Especially if you live in the Bay Area -- please take a moment to call Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren chair of the House Subcommittee on Immigration to express your concern. Her intervention was critical during the July 2007 fiasco, and this time we should ask her and the subcommittee to act early instead of waiting till disaster happens again. Remember also that as the election approaches (Nov) it will be very hard to get any one to act on our behalf.

I just called both her district office and her DC office. Both were very receptive. As usual greater numbers have a greater impact.

District Office
635 North 1st Street, Suite B
San Jose, CA 95112
Telephone (408) 271-8700
Fax (408) 271-8713

Washington, D.C. Office
102 Cannon HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Telephone (202) 225-3072
Fax (202) 225-3336

Gonzalez is gone, but perhaps Michael Aytes needs to be prodded as well. There is a lot to be said for putting on the pressure now, instead of waiting for the last fiscal quarter (July-Sept).

Last edited by Googler; 03-19-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 03-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute

How many visas have been used up so far from 140,000 quota in 2008?? Any idea?

Old 03-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
2007-05-23
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
2007-07-02
Compare
nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googler View Post
All,

If you read Ron Gotcher's forums you know that CIS is not processing enough cases to use up the annual quota -- yet freaking AGAIN. Which means they will throw away EB greencards yet again, even as the backlog grows and they keep certain countries retrogressed beyond reason.

If they need to use overtime, they should start doing so NOW and not wait for the last month of the last fiscal quarter (July-Sept). We are about to start the third quarter of the fiscal year (Apr-June).

It might also be the case that they are reallocating staff to process the citizenship backlog.

Especially if you live in the Bay Area -- please take a moment to call Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren chair of the House Subcommittee on Immigration to express your concern. Her intervention was critical during the July 2007 fiasco, and this time we should ask her and the subcommittee to act early instead of waiting till disaster happens again. Remember also that as the election approaches (Nov) it will be very hard to get any one to act on our behalf.

I just called both her district office and her DC office. Both were very receptive. As usual greater numbers have a greater impact.

District Office
San Jose, CA 95112
Telephone (408) 271-8700
Fax (408) 271-8713

Washington, D.C. Office
102 Cannon HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Telephone (202) 225-3072
Fax (202) 225-3336

Gonzalez is gone, but perhaps Michael Aytes needs to be prodded as well. There is a lot to be said for putting on the pressure now, instead of waiting for the last fiscal quarter (July-Sept).
Thanks for pointing this out. We don't know in the end whether all the numbers will be effectively used or not. I personally recommend every one to write to Zoe Lofgren. I will be talking about this with in the group and we can decide a Plan of action.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare
Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future Googler has a brilliant future

I really don't see how calling a Congresswoman to state the obvious is a problem. This is far from controversial.

If IV comes up with a plan of action then fine, but each of us has an individual duty to speak up about CIS' affirmative misconduct.

My point is merely that we should not wait for

(a) inevitable disaster to strike
(b) complete set of data on usage (which we will never really get)
(c) perfect plan

before we act.

We need to alert Lofgren and the House Subcommittee that they should start monitoring and asking questions and putting the pressure on CIS NOW. Not in the fourth quarter. This strategy has already paid off for citizenship applicants (they have hired extra staff, and may have reallocated staff away from greencards).

Absolutely everbody should be able repeat the figures on p.34 of the 2007 Ombudsmans report like a mantra, in order to justify why Lofgren et al MUST ACT NOW. See http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/C...eport_2007.pdf. In case anyone needs a reminder -- in 2003-2006 alone they threw away 146,085 EB greencards, i.e. more than an entire YEARS supply. They would have done the same last year if it wasn't for the hue and cry and DOS making the date current (the Ombudsman said they were on course to waste 40K last year, see 2007 report). We just need to stop that this year, and stop it early.

Which also means that we as a community shouldn't spend a lot of time before taking action. This is a totally straightforward issue.

Last edited by Googler; 03-19-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/30/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/06/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by HV000 View Post
How many visas have been used up so far from 140,000 quota in 2008?? Any idea?
The exact number is exactly the sort of thing they are very cloak and dagger about. My best efforts to get the number from DOS has not been successful but whatever the exact figure is, they are not on course to use up the quota. This is also confirmed by Gotcher (go read his forums).

Old 03-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute HV000 has a reputation beyond repute

There is less accountability on the part of USCIS to issue 140k green cards every year!! The agency should be forced to release all backlog information. I totally agree with Googler. Should we prepare a common letter to Lofgren, sign, and mail it to her office??

Old 03-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up I agree

Quote:
I really don't see how calling a Congresswoman to state the obvious is a problem. This is far from controversial.

If IV comes up with a plan of action then fine, but each of us has an individual duty to speak up about CIS' affirmative misconduct.

My point is merely that we should not wait for

(a) inevitable disaster to strike
(b) complete set of data on usage (which we will never really get)
(c) perfect plan

before we act.

We need to alert Lofgren and the House Subcommittee that they should start monitoring and asking questions and putting the pressure on CIS NOW. Not in the fourth quarter. This strategy has already paid off for citizenship applicants (they have hired extra staff, and may have reallocated staff away from greencards).

Absolutely everbody should be able repeat the figures on p.34 of the 2007 Ombudsmans report like a mantra, in order to justify why Lofgren et al MUST ACT NOW. See http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/C...eport_2007.pdf. In case anyone needs a reminder -- in 2003-2006 alone they threw away 146,085 EB greencards, i.e. more than an entire YEARS supply. They would have done the same last year if it wasn't for the hue and cry and DOS making the date current (the Ombudsman said they were on course to waste 40K last year, see 2007 report). We just need to stop that this year, and stop it early.

Which also means that we as a community shouldn't spend a lot of time before taking action. This is a totally straightforward issue.
I totally agree with Googler. We need to step up now to make sure CIS does not throw away all those visa numbers, when we have so many people waiting .

Old 03-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/03/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
HOPE_GC_SOON will become famous soon enough HOPE_GC_SOON will become famous soon enough
Default Thanks Googler:

Quote:
All,

District Office
San Jose, CA 95112
Telephone (408) 271-8700
Fax (408) 271-8713

Washington, D.C. Office
102 Cannon HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Telephone (202) 225-3072
Fax (202) 225-3336

Googler: This is the right approach to prevent wastage of thousands of Visa Nos.. as usual of every year. Can somebody take an initiative of drafting a good Memorandum / Representation to the Congresswoman with close to accurate figures and facts, so that each of us can take it and email /fax it.

This is the time to act and save the situation.. Appreciate leader...

Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
2007-05-23
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
2007-07-02
Compare
nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute nixstor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The exact number is exactly the sort of thing they are very cloak and dagger about. My best efforts to get the number from DOS has not been successful but whatever the exact figure is, they are not on course to use up the quota. This is also confirmed by Gotcher (go read his forums).
Sent you a PM with my contact info to discuss this further. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Old 03-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future
Default Hmm

While I do applaud the initiative, calling a congresswoman/congressman's office on this topic is pointless. Lofgren's office is well aware of High Skilled Immigration related issues including wastage of visa numbers.

Organizing a campaign like this, especially with your reasoning that there is nothing wrong in calling your district representative's office, should be done on one's own behest since this is not an official IV campaign. Please join your State Chapter and forward such requests via your chapter leader if you wish to get it endorsed by IV.

Calling someone's office without any valid talking points or suggestions will only annoy the good office and bring a bad reputation to IV in the event people decide to use IV's name.

AGAIN, THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL IV CAMPAIGN FOLKS.

JOIN THE TEXAS STATE CHAPTER
---------------------------------
VERIFIED MEMBERS LIST - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/texasiv

Old 03-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute akhilmahajan has a reputation beyond repute
Default thanks googler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPE_GC_SOON View Post
Googler: This is the right approach to prevent wastage of thousands of Visa Nos.. as usual of every year. Can somebody take an initiative of drafting a good Memorandum / Representation to the Congresswoman with close to accurate figures and facts, so that each of us can take it and email /fax it.

This is the time to act and save the situation.. Appreciate leader...
Thanks a lot googler.
Really appreciate all the information you have provided.

I think this might be the right thing to do, but i will still like to say that we need to wait for the CORE Team for some directives.

I am saying this in a good faith, as these kinds of action items need to be done in a very coordinated manner.

I will request all the members to please wait for directive from the CORE team.

GO IV GO.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2006
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2006
Compare
RandyK has much to be proud of RandyK has much to be proud of RandyK has much to be proud of RandyK has much to be proud of RandyK has much to be proud of RandyK has much to be proud of RandyK has much to be proud of RandyK has much to be proud of

I would check with Core Team... they do everything with a plan.

Sounds like a good plan but checking with the core team is the first step

Old 03-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

IV is aware of the issue and will take up the issue through our lobbyists with USCIS and other appropriate levels.
Please do not create action items without consulting us. We are already working on several issues with various offices.

Closed Thread