Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcformeornot will become famous soon enough
Default Breaking NEWS:- Only OPT rule so far.....

http://www.immigration-law.com/Canada.html

DHS Submitted OMB 03/31/2008 Rule Extending Period for OPT for 17 Months for Qualified F-1 Students

The Homeland Security Department asked the White House OMB on March 31, 2008 to clear the interim final rule to publish in the federal register to extend OPT for 17 months. This is an interim final rule and as soon as it is published it will take effect. This means that the OPT period will be 29 months for certain F-1 students in OPT: current 12 plus 17 month extension. Please stay tuned to this web site. This is not April 1st joke!!!
Those currently seeking H-1B may not be able to participate in the FY 2009 H-1B cap filing. However, since their OPT is likely to be extended for 17 months, they will have a sufficient time to participate in FY 2010 H-1B cap petitions. The details have to be announced as to who will be the "qualified" OPT students to take advantage of this upcoming OPT extension rule.
This rule is the product of the persistent lobbying efforts by the business leaders and their lobby group, competeamerica.org. Bill Gates deserves a good credit for this good news. These business leaders pressured the Senate leaders at the end of last year to take action by the Homeland Security Department Secretary. We also reported Senator Norm Coleman's legislative bill to increase the OPT to 29 months. The magic "29-month" OPT proposal in these business leaders' idea is intended to allow the OPT students not to face the deadly H-1B cap filing problems on April 1 in the future, which has given the OPTs a tremendous hardship, both emotionally and physically. Hats-off to the business leaders including higher learning institution leaders and NAFSA.
WHAT A RELIEF! There is a regulation even at this time that gives an authority for the Homeland Security Secretary to exercise a discretion, if the Secretary chooses to do so, and consider the OPT students "in lawful stay period" up through October 1 if the OPT files the H-1B petition before the cap is reached and while their F-1 status remained in status including 60-day grace period. However, this new policy is a juicier and more flexible option for the OPT students.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/03/2002
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
jani07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Thanks for update.I just

pray fixes related to EAD will be published soon.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Compare
supplychainwalla has a spectacular aura about supplychainwalla has a spectacular aura about
Default Praying ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jani07 View Post
pray fixes related to EAD will be published soon.
The F1 OPT extension relief was brought about by lobbying by the Industry,NAFSA & Universities who still want the U.S to continue to be the hot spot for higher education.So its really prayer that will get us folks at the 485 stage to get longer EAD's and AP's.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
orangelogic is on a distinguished road

It is still not clear to me whether students currently on their OPT will benefit from this rule and also this doesn't seem to be a official press release........ hoping that all students currently on their OPT will be able to take advantage of this rule and will have a fallback in case of the certain H1 disaster...............

Old 04-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Chile
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gosita is on a distinguished road
Default OPT extension only for "qualified" students

I think they might be including only Math, IT, Engineering, and Science students in that extension...

Old 04-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosita View Post
I think they might be including only Math, IT, Engineering, and Science students in that extension...
is that a speculation or its from a source?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute

So, did we all celebrate too soon? or is there still the longer EAD rule waiting to be published. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Chile
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
is that a speculation or its from a source?
Speculation by SIFMA.

Extension of Optional Practical Training Visa Time Period

Anticipated that the Department of Homeland Security will publish a rule extending the Optional Practical Training ("OPT") visa time period from 12 months to 29 months. SIFMA has been advocating for this extension as part of a broader visa reform effort seeking to facilitate movement and immigration of highly skilled workers. At this time, it is anticipated that the OPT extension may be limited to those with STEM degrees (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) and may also require employers to participate in the government's e-verify program. It is unclear whether the rule proposal will be published for notice and comment or will be an interim final rule, but it is likely that SIFMA will comment if it has the opportunity to do so. Although SIFMA supports extension of the OPT time period, it may comment on two aspects of the anticipated proposal: (1) limiting the category of degree holders will limit the usefulness of the OPT extension for the securities industry; and (2) requiring participation in e-verify program is controversial because it is reportedly not very accurate since it is based on limited information.

http://www.sifma.org/regulatory/regu...proposals.html

Old 04-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
xtetic is on a distinguished road

does it mean that MBA, Accounting, Finance grads don't get 29 month OPT? i hope not.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice

iam reading conflicting reports that the increase is only 5 months to cover the opt-H1b time gap period hence only 17 months

http://www.hooyou.com/news/news040208opt.html

did IV get it wrong?

Old 04-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Chile
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtetic View Post
does it mean that MBA, Accounting, Finance grads don't get 29 month OPT? i hope not.
I hope they will include everybody, but even IV mentioned "qualifed F1 students"--- this is what makes me wonder... What other "qualification" can you imagine?

Old 04-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/19/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
ppt.b is on a distinguished road

As far as I know "Accounting and Finance" is part of Math. Someone can correct me if I am wrong

Old 04-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosita View Post
I hope they will include everybody, but even IV mentioned "qualifed F1 students"--- this is what makes me wonder... What other "qualification" can you imagine?
so now its a 12+5 month increase on OPT and only for STEM? lol might as well do nothing on the present one

Old 04-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
xtetic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppt.b View Post
As far as I know "Accounting and Finance" is part of Math. Someone can correct me if I am wrong
I don't think so.
http://www.ohiosea.org/stem/allstem.html

I don't know if that's a accurate list though.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Chile
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

This list seems about right to me. I was checking earlier if Economics goes into Math but it does not either.