Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Cataphract is on a distinguished road
Default Strategizing Meeting Scheduled for MD/DC/VA Volunteers

After a very enthusiastic and motivating conference call the volunteers have decided to meet in person to network and strategize and agree on the next steps to tackle the pressing issues.

The location is a McDonalds in Tysons Corner, VA

The exact address is

8111 LEESBURG PIKE
VIENNA, VA 22181

We plan to meet on this Sunday, February 19th at Noon.

Everyone from VA/DC/MD is welcome to join us, this way we will get to know each other better and can work out a plan faster.

Last edited by Cataphract; 02-17-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
admin is on a distinguished road

Cataphract,

Great effort and thanks for taking the initiative. Given your proximity to Capitol Hill, it is very important to drum up support in your area. Also please encourage the people in the area to attend the rally. More info here http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=143 (Signup for a RALLY for EB Immigrants on March 13th)

Old 02-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mjdup has much to be proud of mjdup has much to be proud of mjdup has much to be proud of mjdup has much to be proud of mjdup has much to be proud of mjdup has much to be proud of mjdup has much to be proud of mjdup has much to be proud of
Default Great job !

Great job cataphract ! meeting in person helps a lot, I'm wishing MA volunteers step up and get motivated. Does red bull really work just kidding, good luck.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sobers is on a distinguished road
Default Awesome!

You guys in the DC/MD/VA are are critical to the success of this effort!

Ya all have shown great initiative and leadership -Keep it up!

Old 02-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mdforgc is infamous around these parts

Great job, wish u good luck, We will do our stuff in nY/NJ and meet lawmakers here

Old 02-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Action Items after a very successful meeting today

I want to Thank everyone for turning up for today's meeting, it was a good discussion and I am glad that we got to know each other better.

I am summarizing the things that we discussed and the "Next Steps" that we agreed upon.

These ideas can be applied to any region so any of you guys reading this, feel free to implement them for your region.

This is what we are planning to do in the next few days:

• Publicize ImmigrationVoice.org in any/all manner possible within the community to raise awareness about our problems and to persuade more people to join. i.e. place materials in grocery stores, temples, or in other high traffic areas
  • Always monitor the media for any shred of positive stories about legal immigrants and as we find them, send materials from IV.org to the specific reporter highlighting the problems that we are currenty facing.
  • Contact all of your respective Congressional representatives and request an In-person meeting in order for us to present our case. If meeting reqeust is denied take names of senior aides and send relevant materials and then follow up to check on progress as to what they are doing about it. Keep bugging them, that is the only way they will respond.
  • Spread the word to your friends who are still waiting to join us, ask them to contribute to the site or devote their time to this cause. I suggest each of us make a goal of sending an email to atleast 10 people in the next week.
  • Meet with other resources and networking groups that are sympathetic to our plight (i.e. Indian CEO's council, www.usinpac.com, Indian ambassadaor in DC etc.... ) and ask for their support.

One of the strategic point that was discussed was about the McCain-Kennedy immigration bill and I along with some of the other members am of the opinion that this bill is such a behemoth and contains some radical; provisions on illegal immigration which may eventually hurt it and it may even die.

Since some of the relief measure that we are seeking are part of this bill, if it dies we will be hurt as well. We think we need to work with Quinn-Gillespie to strategize about how we can insert (if possible) provisions related to legal immigration to a bill that has a very good chance of passing. i.e. the PACE bill by Senator Pete Domenici - we need to put pressure on him, flood his office with our emails/faxes and also at the same time talk to our lobbyists to insert our provisions in his bill as it is almost guaranteed to pass.

That is all from me for now. We plan to take action and meet again soon.

Anyone with other ideas, suggestions is welcome to post them and we can incorporate them as well.

Thanks Everybody for your support and time.
Response submitted Jan 2005

Old 02-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ragz4u is on a distinguished road
Default This is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataphract
I want to Thank everyone for turning up for today's meeting, it was a good discussion and I am glad that we got to know each other better.

I am summarizing the things that we discussed and the "Next Steps" that we agreed upon.

These ideas can be applied to any region so any of you guys reading this, feel free to implement them for your region.

This is what we are planning to do in the next few days:

• Publicize ImmigrationVoice.org in any/all manner possible within the community to raise awareness about our problems and to persuade more people to join. i.e. place materials in grocery stores, temples, or in other high traffic areas
  • Always monitor the media for any shred of positive stories about legal immigrants and as we find them, send materials from IV.org to the specific reporter highlighting the problems that we are currenty facing.
  • Contact all of your respective Congressional representatives and request an In-person meeting in order for us to present our case. If meeting reqeust is denied take names of senior aides and send relevant materials and then follow up to check on progress as to what they are doing about it. Keep bugging them, that is the only way they will respond.
  • Spread the word to your friends who are still waiting to join us, ask them to contribute to the site or devote their time to this cause. I suggest each of us make a goal of sending an email to atleast 10 people in the next week.
  • Meet with other resources and networking groups that are sympathetic to our plight (i.e. Indian CEO's council, www.usinpac.com, Indian ambassadaor in DC etc.... ) and ask for their support.

One of the strategic point that was discussed was about the McCain-Kennedy immigration bill and I along with some of the other members am of the opinion that this bill is such a behemoth and contains some radical; provisions on illegal immigration which may eventually hurt it and it may even die.

Since some of the relief measure that we are seeking are part of this bill, if it dies we will be hurt as well. We think we need to work with Quinn-Gillespie to strategize about how we can insert (if possible) provisions related to legal immigration to a bill that has a very good chance of passing. i.e. the PACE bill by Senator Pete Domenici - we need to put pressure on him, flood his office with our emails/faxes and also at the same time talk to our lobbyists to insert our provisions in his bill as it is almost guaranteed to pass.

That is all from me for now. We plan to take action and meet again soon.

Anyone with other ideas, suggestions is welcome to post them and we can incorporate them as well.

Thanks Everybody for your support and time.
It is really encouraging to see regional teams take the initiative and continue the good work locally. Cataphract, thanks for updating us on the progress you guys have made. Feel free to email at info@immigrationvoice.org with any concerns you might have/support you need and we'll be glad to help you in any way possible.

Hopefully other teams will take a cue from this and get together for achieving our target.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
haritha is on a distinguished road

Cataphract

Thanks for the update. This surely will inspire many more. You guys form a Brilliant Team. Good luck.

Haritha.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute virtual55 has a reputation beyond repute
Default FLYER's link

http://immigrationvoice.org/media/Flyer_Formated.pdf

Old 02-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual55

Thanks for the flyer link - that takes out any excuse from anybody who is still on the fringe.
Response submitted Jan 2005