Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/10/2011
Compare
dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why nurses get to jump the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshitijnt View Post
I do agree that everyone needs doctors and nurses in sometime their lifetime and their work is no less valuable. But only hospitals staff nurses. All the companies need s/w engineers. Also a lot of companies, as someone else said, make s/w engineers work a lot of overtime without paying a dime extra. S/w engineering is also a profession where you are required to upgrade your skill constantly. So if you are on H1 stuck in the same position to get your GC, how much opportunity do you have to upgrade skills? Also for some people have waiting period of 8 years before they get GC. Their employer will use them like indentured servants, you know the guy doesnt want to find out after 6 years of overtime and crap that a nurse is required more and HIS visa will go to the nurse. I dont mind need based immigration but to me reducing a number of the guy who is already in queue does not make sense. If there is real shortage of nurses, then they could have legislated a separate quota in addition to 140K. Also if nurses are being given priority based on existing number, then based on their skill why cant they be given work visas like H1/L1 and then made to wait in the queue?

I mean I get the argument that nurses are required. My question is why cant they wait in queue like everyone else?
The simple reason is that US needs nurses more than you or me. If there is sudden crisis like the y2k bug thing then there will be a sudden and urgent need of people like us only then will we be given better treatment. Suddenly there will be more H1Bs or bigger quota for GC etc. the only other way this is going to happen is if we organize ourselves such that we stop working in the status quo at the same time making sure that they cannot get others to replace us that easily. Once this GC thing actually gets so bad that people actually start leaving their jobs here and moving to other economies like EU or even India, China etc, in a substantial numbers and US actually sees a recession coming due to highly educated people leaving and helping their competitors.

Remember this technically US owes us nothing so we cannot demand any thing like faster processing or higher numbers, but that does not mean we cannot do any thing or we are at USCIS's mercy. We need to educate Politicians about how we are useful for this country how we help this country in growth etc. We should change our message from whining about how badly we are being treated to how they are loosing out by treating us so badly. Nobody cares about other people’s plight every one is selfish and we need to use that. Show then their advantage and then they will be interested.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilber View Post
The simple reason is that US needs nurses more than you or me. If there is sudden crisis like the y2k bug thing then there will be a sudden and urgent need of people like us only then will we be given better treatment. Suddenly there will be more H1Bs or bigger quota for GC etc. the only other way this is going to happen is if we organize ourselves such that we stop working in the status quo at the same time making sure that they cannot get others to replace us that easily. Once this GC thing actually gets so bad that people actually start leaving their jobs here and moving to other economies like EU or even India, China etc, in a substantial numbers and US actually sees a recession coming due to highly educated people leaving and helping their competitors.

Remember this technically US owes us nothing so we cannot demand any thing like faster processing or higher numbers, but that does not mean we cannot do any thing or we are at USCIS's mercy. We need to educate Politicians about how we are useful for this country how we help this country in growth etc. We should change our message from whining about how badly we are being treated to how they are loosing out by treating us so badly. Nobody cares about other people’s plight every one is selfish and we need to use that. Show then their advantage and then they will be interested.
And that is exactly what IV has been doing.
My signature says it all and its true for the members of IV as well as for the pundits of the US economy.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/30/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of

cant see it

Old 05-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesrocks View Post
Some of my software friends who lost job after dot com bust studied nursing and are working as nurses now. So not a bad idea. The pay is equivalent to a software guy and don't have to worry that the job will be outsourced to India.

Pay equivalent to a software engineer? You kidding right???

Old 05-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2007
Compare
mariner5555 is a glorious beacon of light mariner5555 is a glorious beacon of light mariner5555 is a glorious beacon of light mariner5555 is a glorious beacon of light mariner5555 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

definitely I agree. the other point is that you have to get other lobbies to work for you. earlier it was the tech lobby and hence h1 was increased for few years and at the same time one year extensions were made possible after 6 years. now the tech lobby doesnot care much because of company to company transfers and outsourcing !! the only other lobby that may help is the builders / realtor lobby i.e. if they somehow see that increased legal immigration would lead to faster clearing of their inventory.
since IV is a smaller organization (financially) ..the only way is to lobby with other groups (builders / realtors / tech / lawyers) and ask them to promote our cause

Old 05-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snakesrocks will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebron View Post
Pay equivalent to a software engineer? You kidding right???
Ni kidding. Check out what hospitals pay & add differential for working night shifts & weekend and overtime, it all adds up. I am a Tax accountant and have seen W2's of nurses and software consultants.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future hebron has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesrocks View Post
Ni kidding. Check out what hospitals pay & add differential for working night shifts & weekend and overtime, it all adds up. I am a Tax accountant and have seen W2's of nurses and software consultants.

Nurses are highly paid in NY city. But compare a nurse's pay in NY city to a software engineer's pay. My wife is in the healthcare industry and I know what I'm talking about. You may be right about the W2 of a software consultant stuck with a stinking desi employer.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/30/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of munnu77 has much to be proud of

Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking save the digits campaign

Quote:
If there is sudden crisis like the y2k bug thing then there will be a sudden and urgent need of people like us only then will we be given better treatment. Suddenly there will be more H1Bs or bigger quota for GC etc.
call to all software engineers: please allocate and store only ONE digit when you take the year and store it in some database in your applicaton. Dont read in 2008, or even 08. Just "8" will do. That way sometime next year we'll realize that after 2009, we are going to roll over into year "0"... all applications will crash. things will stop working, ATMs will go berserk. The only way to fix this Y2010 campaign would be to increase the EB quota and H1 quotas so all the new engineers can come in (& old ones hang around long enough) to put in 3 more digits into all the applications.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:25 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/10/2011
Compare
dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiani.planum View Post
call to all software engineers: please allocate and store only ONE digit when you take the year and store it in some database in your applicaton. Dont read in 2008, or even 08. Just "8" will do. That way sometime next year we'll realize that after 2009, we are going to roll over into year "0"... all applications will crash. things will stop working, ATMs will go berserk. The only way to fix this Y2010 campaign would be to increase the EB quota and H1 quotas so all the new engineers can come in (& old ones hang around long enough) to put in 3 more digits into all the applications.
That is a good one Meridiani Planum. I will ask all the developers working under me to start doing that lol

Old 05-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
s12chan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiani.planum View Post
You forgot to include a call to all the testers too to ignore the date issue and not to raise any bugs. Otherwise some tester will catch it and your hopes are doomed.... lol.....

Old 05-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Philippines
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold JunRN is a splendid one to behold

I am a nurse with July 2007 PD. This is a good bill because it will remove visa cap for nurses, meaning it will not eat up visas from EB3. Eventhough it has 20k visa per year limit, it counts only one per family, so in total, that could be more than 50,000 beneficiaries per year. Another good thing about this, this will be up until 2011.

This bill is not like nurses getting ahead of EB3. It is like nurses being pulled out from EB3 line and given extra line without eating the EB3 visas. It will ease the EB line.

In my estimate, there are more than 20,000 EB3 nurses applicants still pending, that is not counting their family yet.

I am not a lawyer....all my comments are my own beliefs, please respect it. I do respect yours!

Last edited by JunRN; 05-03-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: wrong choice of word

Old 05-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snakesrocks will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunRN View Post
I am a nurse with July 2007 PD. This is a good bill because it will remove visa cap for nurses, meaning it will not eat up visas from EB3. Eventhough it has 20k visa per year limit, it counts only one per family, so in total, that could be more than 50,000 beneficiaries per year. Another good thing about this, this will be up until 2011.

This bill is not like nurses getting ahead of EB3. It is like nurses being pulled out from EB3 line and given extra line without eating the EB3 visas. It will ease the EB line.

In my estimate, there are more than 20,000 EB3 nurses applicants still pending, that is not counting their family yet.
Can you please tell me what visa are you in now? If you want you can email me @ snakesrocks@hotmail.com

Thanks

Old 05-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Moldova
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
chisinau is infamous around these parts chisinau is infamous around these parts chisinau is infamous around these parts
Default "HR 5924 Gaining Momentum"

Visas for Nurses: How Does This Impact Your Medical Facility? Friday, May 30, 3:00-4:00 EDT - The title of the teleconference with the USCIS!
Do not miss the chanse to express your opinion!!
Good Luck! :))

http://www.dhs.gov/xabout/structure/...038701035.shtm

Old 05-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2002
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/20/2004
Compare
485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute 485Mbe4001 has a reputation beyond repute

it will help EB2. I doubt there will be any remaing for EB3 India. I am EB3, still its good to see that 20k will get out of this misery. good luck with the bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunRN View Post