Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/09/2007
Compare
conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future
Default What is our stand on illegal immigration

By now its almost evident that the CR's for retrogression, per country limit. and STEM related degrees are actually are not going anywhere. Understandably it was CHC (Congressional Hispanic Caucus) and republican leadership that blocked the road to legal immigration relief.

Its almost beyond my analytical power to find out why CHC blocked our way? CHC treated us as hostages to get their demands. They were successful with their threat that either it will be amnesty to illegals or absolutely nothing.

So this though struck my mind: what is our stand as far as illegal immigration is concerned. Even though we may not support/recommend further illegal immigration, what is our stand on granting amnesty to illegals already living in this country.

So do we:
1. Completely oppose amnesty to illegals immigrants currently living in USA
2. Support amnesty to illegals immigrants currently living in USA
3. Support amnesty to illegals immigrants currently living in USA, as long as they do not stand ahead of legal immigrants in the queue.
4. Support amnesty to illegals immigrants currently living in USA, if CHC and other similar organizations support us for our much sought immigration reforms.
5. Only support Guest Worker Program type of thing, which allows people to enter on work visas and further backlog the employment based GC queues.

Is it going to help us if we shake hands with CHC and other similar organizations, if they support us? I mean if we can't defeat them why don't we join forces with them to get what we want. Please remember that legal immigration reform bills always try to piggy back on CIR (Comprehensive Immigration Reforms) type of bills where illegal immigration/amnesty is focal point of discussion, rather than other way around.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know we HAVE NO STAND on the issue.

Our goal is simple, to seperate ourselves from "undocumented immigrants", we do not call it "illegal immigration" as per our initial IV discussions.

IV stands as an organization for Employment Based Legal Immigration and nothing BUT that. So, again, in short we HAVE no stand on "illegal immigration".

Old 07-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of abracadabra102 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchshell View Post
By now its almost evident that the CR's for retrogression, per country limit. and STEM related degrees are actually are not going anywhere. Understandably it was CHC (Congressional Hispanic Caucus) and republican leadership that blocked the road to legal immigration relief.

Its almost beyond my analytical power to find out why CHC blocked our way? CHC treated us as hostages to get their demands. They were successful with their threat that either it will be amnesty to illegals or absolutely nothing.

So this though struck my mind: what is our stand as far as illegal immigration is concerned. Even though we may not support/recommend further illegal immigration, what is our stand on granting amnesty to illegals already living in this country.

So do we:
1. Completely oppose amnesty to illegals immigrants currently living in USA
2. Support amnesty to illegals immigrants currently living in USA
3. Support amnesty to illegals immigrants currently living in USA, as long as they do not stand ahead of legal immigrants in the queue.
4. Support amnesty to illegals immigrants currently living in USA, if CHC and other similar organizations support us for our much sought immigration reforms.
5. Only support Guest Worker Program type of thing, which allows people to enter on work visas and further backlog the employment based GC queues.

Is it going to help us if we shake hands with CHC and other similar organizations, if they support us? I mean if we can't defeat them why don't we join forces with them to get what we want. Please remember that legal immigration reform bills always try to piggy back on CIR (Comprehensive Immigration Reforms) type of bills where illegal immigration/amnesty is focal point of discussion, rather than other way around.
I do not think we need to speak for or against illegal immigrants. We should try to gain some mileage out of our legal status and try to convince law makers to place us ahead of illegal immigrants in the GC queue, if and when US chooses to legalize them.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts
Default well

CHC speaks only for illegals...
they fear any partial immigration reforms will harm their political constituents..namely the hispanic voter base.

They will never come onboard for legals..we have to fight our own battle.

So individual constituents on this forums can have personal views..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3_nepa View Post
As far as I know we HAVE NO STAND on the issue.

Our goal is simple, to seperate ourselves from "undocumented immigrants", we do not call it "illegal immigration" as per our initial IV discussions.

IV stands as an organization for Employment Based Legal Immigration and nothing BUT that. So, again, in short we HAVE no stand on "illegal immigration".

Old 07-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointlesswait View Post
CHC speaks only for illegals...
they fear any partial immigration reforms will harm their political constituents..namely the hispanic voter base.

They will never come onboard for legals..we have to fight our own battle.

So individual constituents on this forums can have personal views..
Yes, but we do not represent the CHC, nor are we in any way affiliated to them.

Secondly there are no "individual constituents" when it comes to Immigration Voice. This is an organization OF, FOR and BY the "EMPLOYMENT BASED LEGAL IMMIGRANTS". We neither support nor oppose rewards or penalties for or against the undocumented workers (illegal immigrants). Individual members can have their own "opinions/biases", but NO individual member can speak on behalf of Immigration Voice on major issues. As per my understanding, ONLY the IV Core team/Board members as a WHOLE can make such decisions.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Chiwere will become famous soon enough Chiwere will become famous soon enough

Conchshell raised a valid point, but instead of seeking cooperation we should try to neutralize CHC - oppose any potential relief to illegals. It is about time we paid them back in the same coin.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
Wendyzhu77 has a spectacular aura about Wendyzhu77 has a spectacular aura about Wendyzhu77 has a spectacular aura about

Illegal immigration is no good for this country. We would rather have no immigration relief than having any immigration relief that comes with ammnesity. If you want to live in this country, you'd better care for the future of this country, and keep it in mind: illegal immigration is no good for this country, period!

Old 07-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Then we let the CITIZENS of the country decide what is best for their country! Guys understand one thing, it is a numbers game.

1) Legal Employment Based Immigrants: LESS THAN 0.5 Million with NO CITIZENS to back us.
2) Illegal Immigrants: MORE THAN 12 million with a HUGE chunk of the Hispanic CITIZENS to back them up.

Even the citizens who DO oppose Illegal immigration, SIMPLY OPPOSE illegal immigration, but DO NOT SUPPORT legal immigration per se.

Please DO NOT make the mistake of taking on the CHC at this point, it is a fight that is IMPOSSIBLE for us to win and POINTLESS to even fight. If we win against the CHC (big IF), we win NOTHING, if we lose, we now have bigger problems.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/09/2007
Compare
conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future
Default no matter what

We have to understand one thing clearly. Whether we support amnesty or not ... at any given point we will find an uphill battle called CHC in front of us. Even after a new president gets elected, this congress is gonna have same composition for next three years. CHC understands it well that with a delayed legal immigration reform, US competitivness gets affected, and that's why they do not want to loose this opportunity to get amnesty for "undocumented workers".

So even after the election when new administration takes on immigration reform, CHC (with the help of all like minded Hispanic organizations) will always put hurdles for legal immigration reform to get the amnesty. In that entire brohaha, what compromise comes out ... no one can guess!! Its quite a possibility that "undocumented workers" may be placed in front of us for a GC, afterall politics is an art to make the impossible possible.

My gutt feeling is that CHC will not make any compromise before elections, because it has a fear of loosing Hispanic votes. Its more likely that they will sing a compromise note after the elections, but upto what extent they will be flexible only time will tell. Meanwhile, we can run flower or phone campaign, but this will not have any impact on CHC.

So we may take any stand, we may fight CHC, we may shake hand with CHC, or we may stand without any stand on this issue ... ultimately we will face this brick wall called CHC sooner or later.

Last edited by conchshell; 07-30-2008 at 12:02 AM.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/24/1900
Chargeability
:
Afghanistan
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
03/24/1900
Compare
Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice Lasantha is just really nice

Are you sure man? Have you seen the recent threads on EB3-I Vs EB2-I and also the ones on EB-I Vs EB-ROW some time back?

Quote:
Secondly there are no "individual constituents" when it comes to Immigration Voice.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts
Default well.

what i meant was...as individuals we can have views different from IV..;-)
as members of IV..we stick with the our IV goal.. thats all..no controversy there..

Quote:
Yes, but we do not represent the CHC, nor are we in any way affiliated to them.

Secondly there are no "individual constituents" when it comes to Immigration Voice. This is an organization OF, FOR and BY the "EMPLOYMENT BASED LEGAL IMMIGRANTS". We neither support nor oppose rewards or penalties for or against the undocumented workers (illegal immigrants). Individual members can have their own "opinions/biases", but NO individual member can speak on behalf of Immigration Voice on major issues. As per my understanding, ONLY the IV Core team/Board members as a WHOLE can make such decisions.