Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/23/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
lipstickonuscis is on a distinguished road
Default Funding

Thats a great point of View eb3_nepa. I'm not sure what the high five campaign was for as I have just joined forgive me for my ignorance. As far as I am concerned if there is clear goal to be acheived out of everyones contribution we could have seperate funding drives for each of them. The flower campaign, the rally is the best example of how members rallied around IV. Selling the idea is key.

I think IV is doing a great job no doubt about that, hope some ideas from our discussions end up as additional points on the IV agenda.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of

So what is the final word? Is 5882 dead for this year?

Depressing..

On the other hand, it is no use wringing our hands about how so few of us make calls etc. That is NOT going to change, unless we invest major money in advertising to the wider public, which I'm sure we don't have. So we have to deal with whatever we have: Little money and even less volunteers.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute axp817 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb3_nepa View Post
Hi Guys,

I think it is time to face the reality of things here. Now before a storm starts on here, let me begin by saying we should not give up under any circumstances, but it is also time to face the facts and the reality of the situation. The country is currently in a state of an economic crisis. There is also a war going on, which most citizen now want to put a stop to. People are losing both jobs and houses left and right. There is a new president that will soon be elected. With all this turmoil happening, we really CANNOT expect the law makers to focus their attention on us, we really cannot.

So instead of being depressed about the state of affairs, keep the focus on contacting law makers, be happy that you have your jobs when everyone around you is losing theirs, you have a house when everyone around you is losing theirs and that you have EADs and APs which allow you the freedom to switch jobs and advance in your careers. At the same time, keep the faith in immigration voice and its leadership and keep the fight going and keep the education of the lawmakers going.

The other point to remember is, we all complain and keep saying we "should" do this and we "should" do that, but when the rubber meets the road, we just dont have the numbers of **WILLING PEOPLE** to come up and actually **TAKE ACTION**. Talk is cheap and everyone on here talks big. However when it comes to actually contributing to our OWN cause, we wait for others to do it. I had started a "High Five Campaign" where everyone was supposed to contribute JUST FIVE DOLLARS. But we havent even collected $5000 from that campaign. We have 20,000+ active members. Technically if every one of those 20,000 members contributed we would have $100,000 but we have less that $5000. What does that say about us? Out of 20,000 members, LESS that 1,000 contributed FIVE DOLLARS. That is how cheap we are. We want an organization to fight for us, for free and someone else to do the work for us for free.

It is time to look for the fault WITHIN ourselves instead of blaiming the law makers and the "desi consultants" and the anti-immigrants and everyone else. This is a capitalist economy where everything runs on MONEY. If the anti-immigrants have powerful lobbies, it is coz they have MONEY from their individual members. Now just about everyone on here makes more than $50,000 annually (much more actually for most ppl). But we want to keep hoarding our money instead of contributing to better our OWN CAUSE. If each of us 20,000 members contrubutes just $100 EACH, imagine the lobby we would be able to afford. Are we really saying that people who make $50,000 a year cannot contribute make a ONE TIME $100 contribution? It is literally a numbers game people and if we all dont play the numbers game the RIGHT WAY (and by that i mean contrubute money towards our own cause), we should really not complain and blame the IV core for not getting anything done. Like the old saying goes.. You get what you pay for.
+1.

Looks like the contribution drive has gone down the toilet these days.

I don't know if the monthly contributions I have been making for over a year mean anything anymore. But guess what, I will keep contributing till the day I get my green card, even if it means that I won't get it any sooner than the next guy that doesn't give a dime towards these efforts... as long as I know that I contributed to this cause, my own cause

What goes around comes around.

Last edited by axp817; 09-18-2008 at 11:55 AM.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/27/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
miapplicant is a glorious beacon of light miapplicant is a glorious beacon of light miapplicant is a glorious beacon of light miapplicant is a glorious beacon of light miapplicant is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Life goes on and our time will come

The post by eb3_nepa is very true. Lets be realistic and accept the situation. It doesn't mean we should stop helping in IV efforts (as helping IV is essentially helping ourselves). Lets not lose momentum and continue full throttle. We should take this time to regroup and decide where we want to focus our efforts on. Lets decide on goals and action plan for next year.

Contributions:
Completed all action items for HR 3012
Called all the representatives to support HR 5882
Participated in all Letter Campaigns
HIGH FIVE campaign

Old 09-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/27/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
miapplicant is a glorious beacon of light miapplicant is a glorious beacon of light miapplicant is a glorious beacon of light miapplicant is a glorious beacon of light miapplicant is a glorious beacon of light
Default Great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravInd View Post
Can you give the links?
Like calling the congressman/women, we should be flooding the inboxes of both candidates. Like the draft that someone had prepared for a call to congressperson, we should have a common draft e-mail. IV core - do you approve??? I want this to be a unified effort and even 5-10% of the IV members send this e-mail, it still is a large number.

Contributions:
Completed all action items for HR 3012
Called all the representatives to support HR 5882
Participated in all Letter Campaigns
HIGH FIVE campaign

Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
malaGCPahije has a reputation beyond repute malaGCPahije has a reputation beyond repute malaGCPahije has a reputation beyond repute malaGCPahije has a reputation beyond repute malaGCPahije has a reputation beyond repute malaGCPahije has a reputation beyond repute malaGCPahije has a reputation beyond repute malaGCPahije has a reputation beyond repute malaGCPahije has a reputation beyond repute malaGCPahije has a reputation beyond repute malaGCPahije has a reputation beyond repute
Default links

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaGCPahije View Post
Last week, I went to McCain and Obama's webpage and used the "contact us" link to send an email about the legal immigration issue. I just explained to them the plight of thousands of legal immigrants waiting for years for just a green card. Most of my emphasis was on the fact that one, we have been paying taxes, buying cars and spending money earned in malls, etc (hence contributing to the economy). Two, after getting the GC, we would all be buying homes, more expensive cars and generating jobs. My email ended with a question asking each candidate about their and their party's stance on legal immigration and how they will help once in power. I signed it as a "future american", and hence a potential voter for either of the party in the future.

I know my email will not even reach near the actual candidate. But if thousands of us send the email, it may. The party as a whole may realize the immense vote bank they can take advantage of in the future. This may help turn the No-sayers into Yes-sayers. Just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravInd View Post
Can you give the links?
John McCain site -- http://www.johnmccain.com/Contact/

Obama site -- http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/contact2 (I chose "Policy Question" in the "I am interested in" field)

Old 09-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another thing

The other thing we need to remember is UNITY UNITY UNITY. We need to be UNITED in ALL our efforts. Some members on here have now resorting to employ DIVISIVE tactics like eb3 v/s eb2, India/China v/s rest of the world, how to STOP people from applying, pre July 2007 v/s post July 2007. Instead of placing the blame where we should ie the USCIS & DOS wasting visa numbers, we now fault IV for enabling everyone to be able to apply in July 2007. So not only do some of us want our green cards, but we also want others NOT to be able to even apply now.

Again look at the illegal immigrants. They are not particularly educated yet they band together as ONE BIG unit. On the other hand we have legal immigrants who are "highly skilled and highly educated" calling each other names like "you stupid south indian" etc. Half our threads are members abusing each other and bitching about things. "Oh the economy is in trouble", "Oh this is doomsday", "Oh the USCIS is playing with our lives" etc etc etc.

Stand up, Unite, Contribute and TAKE ACTION. Paper tigers scare no one.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light jonty_11 is a glorious beacon of light

There is alot IV has already done, and still continues to do in the background. We need to have faith and follow their lead, as we struggle on this long road to PR. While thisis getting frustrating and unbearable at times, we have to stay the course, contribute in m oney and efforts to help IV help us.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2006
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2006
Compare
RandyK has much to be proud of RandyK has much to be proud of RandyK has much to be proud of RandyK has much to be proud of RandyK has much to be proud of RandyK has much to be proud of RandyK has much to be proud of RandyK has much to be proud of
Default Update from NumbersUSA site

House Judiciary Com. Again Postpones Vote on Foreign-Worker Bills
Updated Thursday, September 18, 2008, 10:30 AM

Although the House Judiciary Committee did not take up two foreign-worker bills as expected yesterday, they remain a real threat. The bills are: H.R. 5882, which would add an additional 550,000 permanent green cards; and H.R. 5924, which would add 20,000 additional foreign nurses per year for three years (plus their families). Please contact your U.S. Representative through the Capitol Switchboard (202-224-3121) and ask him/her to do everything possible to stop the passage of these bills, which could come up for a vote again next week.

Action During Yesterday's Committee Markup
The Committee passed H.R. 6020 by a 17-12 margin despite Republican efforts to stall it in the amendment process. Prior to passage, Members amended the bill to remove to language that would have allowed illegal aliens to apply for amnesty despite having committed certain criminal offenses.

The following is a tentative breakdown on how Members voted:

Yes: Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.), Howard L. Berman (D-Calif.), Chris Cannon (R-Utah), Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.), John Conyers (D-Mich.), Keith Ellison (D-Minn.), Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.), Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-Texas), Hank Johnson (D-Ga.), Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.), Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), Linda Sanchez (D-Calif.), Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.), Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.), Robert Scott (D-Va.), Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), and Melvin L. Watt (D-N.C.).

No: Steve Chabot (R-Ohio), Howard Coble (R-N.C.), J. Randy Forbes (R-Va.), Elton Gallegly (R-Calif.), Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), Louie Gohmert (R-Texas), Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), Ric Keller (R-Fla.), Steve King (R-Iowa), Dan Lungren (R-Calif.), and Lamar S. Smith (R-Texas).

At one point during debate yesterday, Rep. Issa said "This is inherently wrong-minded and overreaching. It's written without any real eye for honorable military service. We are here today going so far in the wrong direction. It says if you slip into military service you can get amnesty for your family. Also during debate, Rep Smith announced that the Bush Administration has joined the bill's opposition. The American Legion had announced its opposition last week.

H.R. 6020, which would apply to the 23 million veterans of the armed forces, would grant amnesty to any illegal aliens who have served and to their families. For U.S. citizens who have served, it would grant amnesty to their illegal-alien spouses, children, parents, and minor children of their parents. In addition, the measure would waive certain grounds for deportation for any illegal alien who has served in the military and for that person's spouse, children, parents, and minor children of their parents. Lastly, the bill would authorize the Secretary of Homeland Security or the Attorney General to waive all other grounds of inadmissibility or deportation.

Now that the bill has passed committee, our Hill sources suggest that it could be attached to the Defense Appropriations bill, which Democratic leaders plan on passing before Members recess for the elections. The other bills that were scheduled for a vote yesterday but not taken up -- H.R. 5882 and H.R. 5924 -- could be considered at a House Judiciary Committee markup next week.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2004
Compare
jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute jungalee43 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Great to hear. But is this a game?

i am wirting about Numbers USA update that HR5882 could still move.
Even that much is a fantastic news for us. My own e-mail campaign has genearated 10 confirmed e-mails so far and the chain is likely to produce close to 60 - 100 e-mails. But all these mails are going to local reps and not necessarily Jud. Comm. We should keep up the pressure.
I've doubt. Are the dems giving a long rope to Repubs and in the process just exposing them to immigrant voters? I am sure with every obstacle they create and every amendment they bring, Repubs are loosing 1000 immigrant votes and for every 10 amendments, one house seat. We will never understand this game or even whether Dems have any real desire to give us some relief. Remember they are in majority and can block the amendments, even on the floor and can directly call for voting. That's what repubs did when they were in majority. Repubs would not even notify Dems about committee meetings and would wind up the business. Dems adopted same tactics for their first 100 day agenda, but not in this case.
That said, we need to be extremely positive in our mind set and keep the campaign full throttle.
I've donated about $1000 to IV so far (besides some other contribution with different means) and at times I feel frustrated at times that free riders posting questions, getting solutions and walking away with benefits of IV with my money. But for the time being I am pushing away those thoughts and staying the course/
Let us all be absolutely positive.

Last edited by jungalee43; 09-18-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Let us Hope

I just called the Office of
Hon'ble Member John Conyers (D-Mich.), Chairman 202-225-5126

The lady in the office transferred me to Judiciary Committee Office,
Probably their direct phone number is 202-225-3951.
I asked the person on the phone about the next mark up date for HR 5882.
He told me, it is not fixed yet. But upon asking , he said they might set up. If we can get this mark up done before end of this session. There is still a chance to get the bill passed in December, before end of this year.

I requested the person in Judiciary Committe Office to pass on the meassage to the chairman requesting the Mark up /Hearing date in Full Committee for HR 5882, this week or next week.
If everybody calls Judiciary Committee, it is possible they might set a Markup date for HR 5882.

Last edited by GCOP; 09-18-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
richasamuel@yahoo.com is infamous around these parts richasamuel@yahoo.com is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Organize Rallies in Different citites atleast once every 4 months

Hi,
This is for All members :IV is doing a tremendous job.The most important thing we need to keep in mind is that if we wish to get our GC issues solved we have to constantly raise our voices so HIGH that it makes it to National & International Headlines atleast once every 90 days.See what happened when Illegal mexicans organised rallies in HUGE numbers in different cities all over US AND remember what Happened to our poor brothers on H2b when they organized huge rallies.They got HEARD and USCIS and DOS tried to find a way to solve the issue.We got to take our issues to STREETS in HUGE NUMBERS and once atleast 30- 60 days so that we the legal immigrants remain in lime light and highlight our issues.More than money what we need is Fire in bellies of all members for GC.Unity ,Network & diversity and thirst for GC we got to contemplate what all of us can TOGETHER, IVians just need not donate money but if WE can raise OUR VOICES TOGETHER ON STREETS and show the WORLD The PAIN and AGONY of a H1B,H4 ETC and HOW IMP it is for us to get GC I am sure USCIS & DOS will have to react positively.MOST of the congressmen dont even know that we exist that's an irony.They Value us but not ready to compensate us for what we are worth.Justice Delayed is Justice Denied.Let's Raise our voice together for our Cause.