Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute amitjoey has a reputation beyond repute

It is not over till its over. Anything can happen, we have a lot of things going for us. The present congress wants to show that it is not a 'do nothing' congress. Our items can be a part of any appropriations or other bills. AILA is pushing big time for H1-B1 and EB Relief, so are other vested business interests. This is the last chance they get to get an increase in H1-B1 for this year(They probably are not so much interested in EB-relief), But we can piggyback on most bills dealing with H1-B1 increase, our provisions will be in there.
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 11-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2003
Compare
willgetgc2005 is on a distinguished road

Yup,

This has been very elusive for us since 2005. It has been sorta near and never happened at every occasion in the past.

I wonder why Bush is not asking for CIR in Lame Duck. I mean, he pushed for it hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya
game over for lame duck

Old 11-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dixie will become famous soon enough

Also all said and done CIR still remains a controversial bill, that at the very least has to be debated at length in the house to send out the right signals. If it gets passed in the lame duck, the conservatives will go to town with their story that an amnesty has been shoved down the throats of the american middle class. I doubt either the president or the democrats want that at this stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgal369
because he has to regain his popularity with the American people, and immigration is not a top priority for the American people, as all the election polls showed, and as the infamous Ombudsman on this site "reported" so often

Old 11-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rheoretro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka
Can we send email to George Bush Directly
Dude, The President doesn't make laws...he only signs off on them.

Ciao!

RR

Old 11-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/16/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of
Default Democratic victory may pave the way for Bush's immigration plan

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/15983342.htm

Democratic victory may pave the way for Bush's immigration plan

By Dave Montgomery, McClatchy Newspapers (MCT)

WASHINGTON - If President Bush can find a silver lining in the Democratic takeover in Congress, it could be this: The outlook for enacting his sweeping immigration plan, which House Republicans blocked for two years, suddenly looks brighter.

A 700-mile border fence pushed through the Republican Congress also could come under renewed scrutiny. Although Bush signed the fence legislation into law, Democratic leaders opposed the measure and may hold up funds for the project, which is expected to cost at least $2.2 billion.

"I can't think of another issue that could bring together the Democratic Congress and the president like immigration," said Frank Sharry, executive director of the National Immigration Forum, which supports the president's initiatives. "This election has really changed the immigration debate forever."

Pro-immigration groups such as Sharry's predict that the next session of Congress will be far more receptive to the most volatile elements of Bush's immigration plan: a temporary guest-worker program and conditional legalization for millions of undocumented immigrants now in the country.

Since Bush first unveiled his intentions in 2004, those proposals consistently have collided with resistance in the GOP-led House of Representatives, which refused to consider a Senate-passed bill that largely embraced Bush's initiatives.

Now Democrats will take over the House and Senate in early January under leaders who've expressed support for a comprehensive immigration overhaul.

Presumptive House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., has called for legislation offering illegal immigrants a "pathway to earned legalization and citizenship" if they fulfill "tough requirements," such as paying fines and back taxes, staying employed and learning English.

In a post-election press conference on Wednesday, Bush again listed immigration as a top priority, describing it as "an issue where I believe we can find some common ground with the Democrats."

"I do think we have a good chance," Bush said.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2003
Chargeability
:
Germany
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/03/2003
Compare
Tito_ortiz is infamous around these parts Tito_ortiz is infamous around these parts Tito_ortiz is infamous around these parts

Guys,
Regarding Mathew Oh comments:

"...There is a possibility the DREAM Act could be passed, allowing the children of undocumented immigrants (who complete their high school educations in the United States)..."

How do you think the passage of the DREAM ACT could impact our situation ? If they pass this, they would allay a sizeable portion of illegal immigrants to get amnesty through their children (few millions). I am just wondering whether the illegal alien supporters would lose steam to support CIR after this ? Ironically, they would get a sizeable amnesty, overhelm USCIS with millions of applicants and probably make the passage of a CIR bill more distant. I can't think of something less advantageous to us than this. I hope I am totally wrong.

What do you guys think ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-off
You may be already familiar with this, but just in case ...

Mid-Term Elections and U.S. Immigration Law & Policy
Posted Nov 17, 2006
©MurthyDotCom
Recent mid-term elections resulted in wins for the Democrats, who will take control of the U.S. House of Representatives and virtually the U.S. Senate as of January 2007. The ensuing two-year term, many believe, may be ripe for some sort of comprehensive immigration reform. President George W. Bush has been espousing all along the cause for comprehensive reform in this area. Most people recognize that there are immigration problems and governmental delays that exist. Most also believe that the system needs to be changed for the better. But just how this should be accomplished is not so easily agreed upon, and so it is a hot-button issue. Many of the hardliners, who took a strong anti-immigration position, lost the recent elections. But there are some who took this stance and won. It also is widely believed that many of the newly elected Democrats expressed anti-immigrant sentiments in their campaigns. Achieving any strong pro-immigration measures may prove to be more daunting than originally was anticipated; certainly more than many hoped it would be. Needless to say, we can expect 2007 to mark the beginning of a time for change and flux in the arena of U.S. immigration law. There is a possibility the DREAM Act could be passed, allowing the children of undocumented immigrants (who complete their high school educations in the United States) to obtain conditional "green card" status if they enroll in college or join the U.S. armed services. Both the Democratic and Republican parties seem inclined to help children. There are individuals, however, who are not willing to give any benefits to children of undocumented immigrants. Whatever the outcome, one thing is for sure – we can and should expect some debate on the matter of immigration law and policy in the coming year. Your input, therefore, is critical to the process. Whether your interest is as an employer or an employee or some other capacity, it is important to make your voice heard in Congress by eMailing, writing, or calling your U.S. senator, congressperson, or their immigration aides. Contact them regularly on issues that concern you and your business. That is a part of our democratic process. So, if you care, you must dare to go out there and do your part!

Last edited by Tito_ortiz; 11-20-2006 at 01:01 PM.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
qplearn will become famous soon enough
Default we need action now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito_ortiz
Guys,
Regarding Mathew Oh comments:

"...There is a possibility the DREAM Act could be passed, allowing the children of undocumented immigrants (who complete their high school educations in the United States)..."

How do you think the passage of the DREAM ACT could impact our situation ? If they pass this, they would relief a sizeable portion of illegal immigrants to get amnesty through their children (few millions). I am just wondering whether the illegal alien supporters would lose steam to support CIR after this ? Ironically, they would get a sizeable amnesty, overhelm USCIS with millions of applicants and probably make the passage of a CIR bill more distant. I can't think of something less advantageous to us than this. I hope I am totally wrong.

What do you guys think ?
There are favorable indications from the industry that they will get increased H1Bs. There is hence a strong belief among many lawyers that the H1B lobby will provide some relief. But we need to meet lawmakers so that they don't forget about the Green cards.

If you live in NY state, please contact bottlemani or myself. We need to organize ourselves before meeting the lawmakers. We will also have to take the trouble to drive to their offices. If we don't do this, all these pessimistic predictions will come true. Believe me, meeting the folks in the offices of the lawmakers makes a huge difference.

Last edited by qplearn; 11-20-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by qplearn
There are favorable indications from the industry that they will get increased H1Bs. There is hence a strong belief among many lawyers that the H1B lobby will provide some relief. But we need to meet lawmakers so that they don't forget about the Green cards.

If you live in NY state, please contact bottlemani or myself. We need to organize ourselves before meeting the lawmakers. We will also have to take the trouble to drive to their offices. If we don't do this, all these pessimistic predictions will come true. Believe me, meeting the folks in the offices of the lawmakers makes a huge difference.
I agree with you qplearn and botlemani. Thank you for making this effort. It is sad to see that only few people have signed up for state chapters. there are very few on your NY thread even though we have several members from NYC and NY state. We all need to change our attitude and help each other in this common cause. If we all think that someone/others will do it for us, then nobody will do anything and we will all continue to wait for our greencards for the next several years. IV is providing everyone an opportuity and tools to help and work. IV core is working overtime to get it done. We cannot succeed if we do not get support from each and every member.

Last edited by pappu; 11-20-2006 at 02:46 PM.

Closed Thread