Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
va_labor2002 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up AILA to Push EB Bills During Lameduck Session

http://www.immigration-law.com/

11/08/2006: AILA to Push EB and H-1B Bills During Lameduck Session

The details of agenda during the Lameduck session has yet to be released. However, should appropriations be taken care of during the Lameduck Congress, the immigrant community may have some chance to work with the Congress to pass some EB and H-1B bills. AILA has disclosed its intent to push it during the session.

================
What is our PLAN ?
================

What IV is going to do in the lame duck session ? Where is webFAX ? I was expecting something from the Core Team this week ! Now the election is over ! Guys, we have to contact law makers NOW before Nov13 !!
I-485 - Filed on July 19 to TX
EAD yes No FP yet
-------------------------------------------
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold

Hello Va_labor2002,

Thank for positing information about lame duck session from Mathew Oh's site. However, this is not yet a confirmed report yet. The current situation is that everybody is waiting for a decision on the length of lame duck session. If the leadership (in the congress) decides to do 6 weeks lame duck session, in that case we will get an appropriate vehicle for our provisions. But if the Senate/House leadership decides to do a 2 weeks lame duck session, in that case there would not be any bill.

We have a plan and we are on top of things. Also, please know that with your support, Immigration Voice is also growing stronger and we get more update info. But acting prematurely would not help in anyway. Webfax is a very important component of IVís efforts. IV (and other like minded organizations) are all keeping our fingers crossed, hoping for a decision for a 6 weeks lame duck session.

Thanks,
WaldenPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_labor2002
http://www.immigration-law.com/

11/08/2006: AILA to Push EB and H-1B Bills During Lameduck Session

The details of agenda during the Lameduck session has yet to be released. However, should appropriations be taken care of during the Lameduck Congress, the immigrant community may have some chance to work with the Congress to pass some EB and H-1B bills. AILA has disclosed its intent to push it during the session.

================
What is our PLAN ?
================

What IV is going to do in the lame duck session ? Where is webFAX ? I was expecting something from the Core Team this week ! Now the election is over ! Guys, we have to contact law makers NOW before Nov13 !!
Recd green card in June 2007

Old 11-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nonimmi is just really nice nonimmi is just really nice nonimmi is just really nice nonimmi is just really nice

It's great to have someone like WaldenPond as leader of this organization! Look how polite yet strong he is in his replies and opinion. Many of us should learn it from him and stop acting overSMART when replying to others.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute
Default I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonimmi
It's great to have someone like WaldenPond as leader of this organization! Look how polite yet strong he is in his replies and opinion. Many of us should learn it from him and stop acting overSMART when replying to others.

I agree. Thank you Walden Pond.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2007
Compare
Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute Canadian_Dream has a reputation beyond repute

Is this an indication of a longer lame-duck Session
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0061109-2.html

====
On the other hand, the readout I got from the meeting is it was primarily focused on the lame-duck session. We have got a Vietnam free trade agreement that we want to get done, an Indian civil nuclear agreement that's of great importance, obviously the budget matters, the outer continental shelf, nominations of John Bolton, and also if possible Bob Gates, and the Terrorist Surveillance Act.
====

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldenPond
Hello Va_labor2002,

Thank for positing information about lame duck session from Mathew Oh's site. However, this is not yet a confirmed report yet. The current situation is that everybody is waiting for a decision on the length of lame duck session. If the leadership (in the congress) decides to do 6 weeks lame duck session, in that case we will get an appropriate vehicle for our provisions. But if the Senate/House leadership decides to do a 2 weeks lame duck session, in that case there would not be any bill.

We have a plan and we are on top of things. Also, please know that with your support, Immigration Voice is also growing stronger and we get more update info. But acting prematurely would not help in anyway. Webfax is a very important component of IVís efforts. IV (and other like minded organizations) are all keeping our fingers crossed, hoping for a decision for a 6 weeks lame duck session.

Thanks,
WaldenPond

Old 11-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
Smile

Quote:
Hello Va_labor2002,

Thanks,
WaldenPond
Thank you for your update. We strongly support your goals and tactics.I am very sure that we will succeed very soon.

Good luck and best wishes.

Thanks
EAD yes No FP yet

Old 11-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Chargeability
:
United Kingdom
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
manderson is just really nice manderson is just really nice manderson is just really nice manderson is just really nice
Default when will we know if there'll be a 2 or 6 week lame-duck?

when will we know if there'll be a 2 or 6 week lame-duck session?

Quote:
Hello Va_labor2002,

Thanks,
WaldenPond

Old 11-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-00
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
viva is infamous around these parts viva is infamous around these parts
Default How likely is immigration legislation?

While reading the net, I discovered that Democrats have won by fielding a lot of untested conservative candidates. We don't even know their voting histories. Do we really expect these new conservatives to be pro-immigration? Is this Congress of Democratic conservatives in the House likely to be more pro-immigration than the Republican House?

Let's not get our hopes too high and just have them dashed very quickly. Immigration legislation will not occur until early next year, when the new Congress has completely settled in.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold WaldenPond is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson
when will we know if there'll be a 2 or 6 week lame-duck session?

That is a good question.

Indications are that current Republican House leadership wants to do 2 weeks session. Democratic leadership (in House and Senate) and Republican leadership in the Senate want 6 weeks of lame duck session to address all pending business so that they could do things on their list.

Here is a post from rujulm
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...0764#post30764

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Senate and House disagreeing on length, timing of lame-duck session

Congress Daily PM (sorry, not linkable) is reporting that “The Senate is slated to return next week for a jam-packed legislative week, then adjourn until early December (Dec. 4, for two weeks) to finish the remaining work of the 109th Congress, a senior aide to Senate Majority Leader Frist said this afternoon.... The leaders also are working on an agreement to pass a continuing resolution to keep the government running until Dec. 8. The current one expires Nov. 17.... House leaders were not saying much about their plans, although their agenda appeared to be shrinking. 'My feeling is this is going to be a very short lame-duck session,' said one Hastert aide.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senate cannot decide by itself for the duration of the lame duck session. There has to be an agreement between the House and the Senate. And at this time, all the news coming out of Washington suggests that it would most likely be 2 weeks session. The two sides are still negotiating and a decision is expected before Monday. Let’s all hope that they decide to do pending budget bills or pending appropriations bills. That will create potential vehicle for our provisions.

The current delay is not because of the merit of our issues. The delay is because of the politics of the situation. Most compassionate lawmakers support our provisions, so it is just a matter of time. If our provisions would not get done in lame duck session, then our issues would be addressed in the first quarter of 07. But know that support and active participation from all the members would be essential to achieve our goals, whether it is now or in Q1 of 2007.

Last edited by WaldenPond; 11-09-2006 at 09:14 PM.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
go_gc_way is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonimmi
I hope a 6 week session come true. Best wishes.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
posmd has a spectacular aura about posmd has a spectacular aura about posmd has a spectacular aura about
Default Long Tail of the Lame Duck!

Nice to hear from some of the core members of IV. I think that this current lame duck session will be a fairly long one. The president wants one, the senate is in agreement and even some of the senate Republicans are in agreement.
Please see this article in our local newspaper about one of the Republican stalwarts who feels it will extend up to Christmas!

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/index...e=art&index=01

I do feel that we are in for a session that will last atleast until the festive season.

Lets hope for a few legal provisions as the AILA is pushing.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare

Here is some more information about the length of lame duck session and the likely issues and bills.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15641811/

Old 11-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
apnair2002 is on a distinguished road
Default Lame duck session tackles spending bills

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061110/..._duck_congress

Old 11-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
Smile Murthy law Firm - pushing EB bills.

Murthy law Firm in the weekly bulletin requests employers to contact congress to increase H1B and EB Visa numbers in the lame duck session. I think AILA is strongly pushing for EB Bills. This may be a positive sign for us !

We should ask our employers to send a letter to congress immediately , addressing our concerns and issues. The Format of the letter is in the murthy bulletin !

Good luck.
EAD yes No FP yet

Old 11-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Matthew OH is also reporting positive on CIR in Lame Duck

11/09/2006: Priorities for Lameduck Congress

* Report indicates that overhauling immigration may be in the list of the Democrats priority and President Bush has also expressed his readiness and willingness to go along with the Democrats on the legislation. Immediately after the result of the election became obvious, apparently the President called into the White House the leaders of GOP to discuss the priorities for the Lameduck session.
* Taking such discussion and the President's meeting with Rep. Pelosi, future Speaker of the House and exhange views on priorities for the two parties as a positive signial, the immigration stakeholders started igniting some hope, albeit uncertain, for potential action by the Congress and are cautiously preparing for their move in support of the immigration legislation. For the report on meeting between the President Bush and Rep. Pelosi, please click here.