Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

View Poll Results: I am willing to participate in
Just DC Rally 68 29.31%
Just Lobby Day 6 2.59%
Will attend Both 109 46.98%
Cannot attend 49 21.12%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute
Default IV needs head count for DC Rally ( March 1st Week, 2009)

IV leadership wants to know how many members are willing to show up if IV was to conduct a DC Rally in the first week of March.

Keep in mind it will be a week day. Possibly Wednesday or Thursday. We are sorry, lawmakers don't work on weekends. And they are out of DC visiting constituency on Monday and Friday. So having a rally on any of these days is meaningless as our intention is to grab lawmaker attention, when they are in DC.

If you plan to participate, please indicate your preference - Rally, Lobby Day or Both. I request you to post your State of residence, so that your State chapter leaders can get in touch with you, if required.

The ball is in our court. Let us show IV we have the quorum ( at least a few thousand) and there will be a rally.

We need to show the quorum before New Year (Jan 1st, 2009). It takes at least 2 months to plan and organize a rally of this magnitude. So hurry up, we don't have much time.

This is our best chance to bring our issues to the notice of the lawmakers before the CIR.

A number of immigrant groups such as ILW and Hispanic groups are trying to get CIR 2009 up for vote by Spring of 2009

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=22548 (CIR In Spring)

It may be the reason March was selected for the DC Rally, despite the cold weather so members have complained about. ( Note : I did not select the date).

If CIR is coming up in Spring, we need to make our case - by showing good numbers -by the end of winter ; freezing or not. If we don't do that our issue is very highly to get lost in the Border security, employer verification and Legalization/Amnesty. If we finish the public show of strength - DC Rally and the Lobby Day in March, we can be ready to send Web-faxes, make phone calls etc. in Spring to push for our bills.

During our lobby day and DC Rally efforts, we should get lawmakers to understand our issues and number of people impacted (0.5 million at the least). Once majority of the lawmakers understand that we exist in large numbers, and are facing these problems, they will be more sympathetic when we make those last minute phone calls and faxes.

If we don't do the DC Rally and Lobby day successfully, chances are lower that they may be sympathetic to us without understanding the issue and the large number of people impacted.

The clock has already started ticking. We have to act fast. If we do nothing, we will miss the boat once again. Will you help IV put Recapture and Visa increase on the upcoming CIR? If we don't, we all have wait several more years for the relief.

Here's why we should do the Rally

Either we convince the lawmakers that thousands are impacted by Retrogression by actually getting these thousands to where the lawmakers can see them ( in DC where else?). Or we wait for the next CIR which may very likely be a repeat of CIR 2007. For those you unfamiliar with the last CIR. Here was the "reform" it had for EB immigration.

a) Reduction of EB quota from 140,000 to 90,000
b) End of EB immigration within 6 years with visa decrease to 90,000
c) New Point based system where the remaining EB immigrants have to reapply paying the full fees, no exceptions ( Employer won't pay a dime as it's your personal application)
d) Point based System gave more points to an Agriculture worker who has worked in the field for 2 year than a Software Engineer/Doctor etc. with 10 years of experience.
e) Country quotas of 7% to be carried over so that Indians and Chinese would have to wait for decades eligible in the points system both at the time of applying as well as approval ( keep in mind that with increasing age your age-based points keep going down! )

Don't expect the next CIR will solve your problems automagically without you having to do anything. It may actually make the problems several times worser than it is now. That is, unless we act and make our voices heard in DC.

So what's it gonna be? Fight now or Regret Later?

This is a make or break fight for our community. Nothing can be taken as granted. We have to show our numerical strength if we wish to be noticed and taken seriously. Otherwise, Horses bill will continue to be discussed before the much neglected EB bills. If in doubt, look at the fate of HR 5882.

Will you help us put EB immigrants before the Horses? If you don't it may be cows or pigs who will be getting the relief next time instead of our community.

1) There may be negative consequences if we did a Rally?

What consequences? Similar apprehensions were raised during the 2007 DC Rally.We did that Rally. I am yet to see any negative consequences on our community. IV took sufficient precautions to see that any negative perception was not created like some member unintentionally disrepecting the American flag , that we don't fly our country flags etc. And we were successful in not creating a negative image.

IV even had some lawyers (Greg Siskind and Murthy) post their opinions that doing a Rally will not impact GC applications last time. And we are still asking this question.

Right to peaceful assembly = Rally
Right to petition the Government = Lobby Day

Both are constitutionally gauranteed rights ( Google 'Bill of Rights' and the 'First Ammendment'). These rights apply equally to citizens and non-citizens alike.

Nothing negative happened last time. Nothing will this time if we hold another rally.

[b]2) Aren't we better off doing stuff in the "background"? B]

First of all, if you are concerned that Rally activity will impeded "background" stuff, you can rest assured it doesn't. There is no point in lobbying existing government, and new Government (and the Congress) will be taking over only after Jan 20th, 2009. A lot of Congressmen like Sen. Clinton, Rep. Rahm Emmanuel are joining the administration and will be resigning from the Congress. Right now, there is still no clarity on the "right people" to approach.

And it's not just us, no one will be doing any serious background activity till Jan 20th.

Just because there may be rally doesn't mean IV will give up doing the lobbying work. There'll be "background" work involved in even doing the Rally work.

Lobbying doesn't stop at paying our lobbying firm. The letters that we write, phone calls that we make, Lobby Days that we do, and we the Rally/Media drive that we do - everything comes under Lobbying/Advocacy. Because any action taken to get Lawmaker attention to a problem we are facing is defined as Lobbying or Advocacy (more PC term).

We should approach Senators X & Y to get our bills passed?

No Senator, Representative or Leader holds a complete dominance here. Some examples President Bush wanted to pass CIR 2007, his own party members defeated it. Pres. Bush, Senate Majority Leader Sen. Reid, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, several major leaders of both Republican and Democratic party supported the Bailout legislation. Yet, it failed the first time it was introduced. Only after they added enough sweeteners to get enough Senate and House votes, they could pass that legislation.

Meaning, every Senator, every Representative works for his/her self-interest. We cannot depend on the strategy of getting some Senator or Rep to introduce the bill. First of all, they won't introduce a bill unless we can show them there is enough support to pass it. Even if they do, we need vote from at least 60 Senators and more than 250 Reps to pass it in both the houses of Congress.

We can either do it ourselves as a community. Or we can do it in the "background" by hiring a big team of lobbyists to visit 360 lawmaker offices and make the case for us. Only glitch is we'll need a few million dollars to pay these lobbyists hourly fees and other incidental expenses. And here folks ask IV to post all bank account statements, full line-by-line expenditure report for donating just 5 dollars!

We had moderate success last few times when we had to call 5-10 members of Immigration sub-committee. Not so much calling 5-10 members of the Judiciary committee. Imagine it comes up for vote in both houses together, each one of us has to make at least 350-400 calls. Do we have such a network? ( Our State chapters) Do we have such a bandwith? ( Active members ready o go the extra mile)

Let us say we do. Each of us will get a 2 mins per office in the call just to say - 'Please ask Sen. X or Rep Y. to support HR xxxxx, or S xxxxx or Ammendment Z'. We will not get anytime then to explain our issues, our numbers ( total backlogged) and why we want them to vote we want them to.

We are hoping against hope that they will vote for our solution without even understanding our problems in the first place. They have no freaking clue that we exist in the first place. They don't now our problems. So it doesn't make much difference to them whichever way they vote as they don't understand the issue.

Meaning, we are betting our whole life on luck and chance. And then we will feel dejected, fired up etc. etc. when they give higher priority to Horses issue which they know and understand better than ours. There is a saying in Sanskrit - 'Yudhdha Kaale Shastrabhyasa' meaning starting weapons practice, after the war has already begun! It's futile just like our last minute efforts.

Do we want to bet our lives and careers on sheer luck? Or do we want to make our case clear to the lawmakers? It's the choice that our community has to make.

Can we do it?

Last edited by walking_dude; 11-25-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Moved material from other posts
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Vsach has a reputation beyond repute Vsach has a reputation beyond repute Vsach has a reputation beyond repute Vsach has a reputation beyond repute Vsach has a reputation beyond repute Vsach has a reputation beyond repute Vsach has a reputation beyond repute Vsach has a reputation beyond repute Vsach has a reputation beyond repute Vsach has a reputation beyond repute Vsach has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Why not?

Yes we can!

Vsach

Old 11-22-2008, 01:10 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Mexico
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute Jaime has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'll go

And I vote for a rally

We made history at the DC rally! This is only the beginning and Victory is the only option. We'll reach it together!

Let's focus on more action to stop the U.S. Reverse Brain Drain! Let's not let the iron cool!

Old 11-22-2008, 01:29 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/08/2007
Compare
seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute seahawks has a reputation beyond repute

ofcourse I am in and so is my wife!

Old 11-22-2008, 04:03 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up

I can come to DC for the activities. My only constraint is if it's on a Monday or Thursday, other days should be fine.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute walking_dude has a reputation beyond repute

That's the spirit. Yes, We can. Thanks for RSVPing. We need more members stepping forward, and show the same enthusiasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsach View Post
Yes we can!

Vsach

Last edited by walking_dude; 11-22-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts
Smile I am in

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking_dude View Post
That's the spirit. Yes, We can. Thanks for RSVPing. We need more members stepping forward, and show the same enthusiasm.

Either we convince the lawmakers that thousands are impacted by Retrogression by actually getting these thousands to where the lawmakers can see them ( in DC where else?). Or we wait for the next CIR which may very likely be a repeat of CIR 2007. For those you unfamiliar with the last CIR. Here was the "reform" it had for EB immigration.

a) Reduction of EB quota from 140,000 to 90,000
b) End of EB immigration within 6 years with visa decrease to 90,000
c) New Point based system where the remaining EB immigrants have to reapply paying the full fees, no exceptions ( Employer won't pay a dime as it's your personal application)
d) Point based System gave more points to an Agriculture worker who has worked in the field for 2 year than a Software Engineer/Doctor etc. with 10 years of experience.
e) Country quotas of 7% to be carried over so that Indians and Chinese would have to wait for decades eligible in the points system both at the time of applying as well as approval ( keep in mind that with increasing age your age-based points keep going down! )

Don't expect the next CIR will solve your problems automagically without you having to do anything. It may actually make the problems several times worser than it is now. That is, unless we act and make our voices heard in DC.

So what's it gonna be? Fight now or Regret Later?
I am in for a DC rally and DC lobby. I don't want to be labeled as a lazy Desi or the one who take favor of getting information from IV, but does not act to address at vital times.

GUYS Rise Up, no one will help us, until we help each other. We saw what happened with recapture visa bill.Politics killed it, and because there was not a lot of rally's for it. Lets involve media, contact different senators.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

Thank You.

Others, step forward before we miss the boat. Don't blame IV later if EB visa increase and/or recapture isn't included in the CIR, or the CIR makes your life a hell.(like CIR 2007 tried).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
And I vote for a rally

Last edited by walking_dude; 11-22-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

Last time I marched alone (my kid was just 3 months old). This time I'll be there with full family. Wife and 2 very young kids.

Thanks for RSPVing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawks View Post
ofcourse I am in and so is my wife!

Old 11-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Go IV

I am in for the Rally and lobbying on the same day

Old 11-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

Thanks for your decision to participate. I am 100% sure it won't be a Monday. Congressmen don't work on Mondays and Fridays.

I can't make any promises on the dates. It will depend on the date IV is able to get the permission to conduct the rally, and also other factors.

I request you to try and make time if you can. Even I have to take some days vacation to be there. We have to make these little sacrifices because the stakes are high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydon View Post
I can come to DC for the activities. My only constraint is if it's on a Monday or Thursday, other days should be fine.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2006
Compare
nc14 is on a distinguished road
Default Count me in folks

Unless something catastrophic happens before the rally I am 100% in. I so much wanted to be there last year too but I was in India.

Let's show some strenght in number folks. Come on IVians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking_dude View Post
Thanks for your decision to participate. I am 100% sure it won't be a Monday. Congressmen don't work on Mondays and Fridays.

I can't make any promises on the dates. It will depend on the date IV is able to get the permission to conduct the rally, and also other factors.

I request you to try and make time if you can. Even I have to take some days vacation to be there. We have to make these little sacrifices because the stakes are high.
Proud to be an IVian.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

Thanks for deciding to join us, and your spirited support.

We will definitely involve the media and lawmakers also as this gets traction. IV did it for the last rally as well. I remember CNN, BBC and a lot other media outlets were there on the rally grounds to cover our event.

The reason we didn't get front page media/TV coverage was due to the fact that only 2000 folks turned up. We need to definitely do better this time. If there are 10,000-20,000 of marching in DC it will be covered by every major media outlet and TV. This will make the lawmakers stand up and take notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarc123 View Post
I am in for a DC rally and DC lobby. I don't want to be labeled as a lazy Desi or the one who take favor of getting information from IV, but does not act to address at vital times.

GUYS Rise Up, no one will help us, until we help each other. We saw what happened with recapture visa bill.Politics killed it, and because there was not a lot of rally's for it. Lets involve media, contact different senators.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
ashishgour is a jewel in the rough ashishgour is a jewel in the rough ashishgour is a jewel in the rough

Me and my wife were among the 2000...and will be more than happy to be a part of 20,000...

Count us in..

Old 11-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
bestin is infamous around these parts bestin is infamous around these parts bestin is infamous around these parts bestin is infamous around these parts bestin is infamous around these parts bestin is infamous around these parts bestin is infamous around these parts bestin is infamous around these parts

I am in for both