Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute vsrinir has a reputation beyond repute
Default The First Ten Senate Bills.- New Congress

http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/t...n_senate_bills

THE FIRST TEN SENATE BILLS.

A Democratic aide on the hill passes along the first ten bills that Majority Leader Harry Reid will put in the hopper this evening to kick off the new session of Congress, as sent by leadership to various Senate Legislative Directors. Unfortunately for us, the bills are placeholders that only contain vague statements of purpose, not specific legislative language, so we can only get a sense of the basic priorities of the Senate Democrats. Here's the countdown:

S.1 -- American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. "To create jobs, restore economic growth, and strengthen America’s middle class through measures that modernize the nation’s infrastructure, enhance America’s energy independence, expand educational opportunities, preserve and improve affordable health care, provide tax relief, and protect those in greatest need, and for other purposes." The stimulus bill; no surprises here.

S.2 -- Middle Class Opportunity Act of 2009. Sound familiar? This is a retread of a bill sponsored by Senator Chuck Schumer in the last Congress that has a variety of tax reform goals; the additional descriptions in this bill include hints at union support ("ensuring workers can exercise their rights to freely choose to form a union without employer interference") and perhaps another go at the Ledbetter law ("removing barriers to fair pay for all workers").

S.3 -- Homeowner Protection and Wall Street Accountability Act of 2009. This bill will include a moratorium on foreclosures, Senator Dick Durbin's plan to allow for easier reworking of troubled mortgages by bankruptcy judges, new regulations for the credit card and financial industry, and investment in the Small Business Administration to provide loans for small businesses in need. It also makes TARP -- the Wall Street bailout -- a larger part of foreclosure reduction.

S.4 -- Comprehensive Health Reform Act of 2009. "It is the sense of Congress that Congress should enact, and the President should sign, legislation to guarantee health coverage, improve health care quality and disease prevention, and reduce health care costs for all Americans and the health care system." Paging Ezra!

S.5 -- Cleaner, Greener, and Smarter Act of 2009. This is a bill that focuses mainly on green investment and updating infrastructure to be more efficient and less polluting. But since a lot of those priorities are expected to be rolled into the future, one wonders if this is a vehicle for cap-and-trade, given the Kyoto Protocols, given this provision: "requiring reductions in emissions of greenhouse gases in the United States and achieving reductions in emissions of greenhouse gases abroad."

S.6. -- Restoring America’s Power Act of 2009. This is basically the Democrats' '08 foreign policy consensus: Refocus on Afghanistan, transition in Iraq, strengthen alliances, WMD non-proliferation in Iran and North Korea... you get the idea. Most of this is in the executive branch's bailiwick so this legislation may just be a supportive resolution indicating that if Obama needs new authorities or resources to accomplish these goals, he'll get them. The bill also includes goals of providing proper training and equipment to the Armed Forces, and medical care when they return from duty.

S.7 -- Education Opportunity Act of 2009. "To expand educational opportunities for all Americans by increasing access to high-quality early childhood education and after school programs, advancing reform in elementary and secondary education, strengthening mathematics and science instruction, and ensuring that higher education is more affordable." An education omnibus bill that will no doubt be split up into separate pieces of legislation.

S.8 -- Returning Government to the American People Act. "To return the Government to the people by reviewing controversial 'midnight regulations' issued in the waning days of the Bush Administration." A sentiment we can all get behind, which promises to provide the new administration legislative authority, if it doesn't have it already, to review (and presumably deny) the last administration's late regulations.

S.9 -- Stronger Economy, Stronger Borders Act of 2009. Seems to be a placeholder for comprehensive immigration reform, including stronger border and employment security to crackdown on illegal immigration while "reforming and rationalizing avenues for legal immigration."

S.10 -- Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2009. Gosh, this one is interesting. It's one part congressional hand-wringing over the fact that "the Federal budget is on an unsustainable path of rising deficits and debt," and it calls for a study of this. It's one part fiscal hawkery, supporting "strong pay-as-you-go rules, to help block the approval of measures that would increase the deficit." And it's one part ... populist? "A review of the current system of taxation of the United States to ensure that burdens are borne fairly and equitably." That could be the justification for the Bush tax cut rollback in 2010.
Those are the top ten bills of your 111th Senate. A quick perusal of the 110th Senate's first ten bills suggests about half of that legislation was passed by Congress (it included ethics reform, the minimum wage increase, stem cell research, the 9/11 Commission reforms and legislation to increase higher ed access) though not all of it was signed by the President. We'll see if the Dems have better luck this year.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/20/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts pointlesswait is infamous around these parts
Default no way!

there wont be any immigration reform bills...until the economy shows signs of picking up!

it will be suicidal for obama to start off with immigration reform.... there are more pressing issues on hand...than immigration.

i am not being a pessimistic...just being realistic!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointlesswait View Post
there wont be any immigration reform bills...until the economy shows signs of picking up!

it will be suicidal for obama to start off with immigration reform.... there are more pressing issues on hand...than immigration.

If Obama and his team is as smart as we think they are, then they should pass an immigration bill which would put a curb on illegal immigration and push legal immigration. We all know the reasons, economic stability, psychological stability, etc....

'suicidal'? for a president who has just started and has 4 years to go?
Dude, he is not here to play politics, he is here for 'change'

Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/10/2011
Compare
dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute dilber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hathi Ke daant Khane ke aur Dikhana ke Aur!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
If Obama and his team is as smart as we think they are, then they should pass an immigration bill which would put a curb on illegal immigration and push legal immigration. We all know the reasons, economic stability, psychological stability, etc....

'suicidal'? for a president who has just started and has 4 years to go?
Dude, he is not here to play politics, he is here for 'change'
Dude every politition plays politics and that is what they are supposed to do. Obama is a very very astitute Politician if he wasn't do you think he could have won over the Clintons???

If his interestes are alligned to ours his being astitute politician will be very very helpfull. My personal openion is he wants a second term he has to do some thing about immigration atleast show that he tried. and do it as early in his term as possible so that the back lash is limited. so lets wait and see. Offcourse we should continue the Lobying efforts...

Old 01-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of BPforGC has much to be proud of
Default I agree, Immigration reform not in 2009

I agree.

There may be smaller bills that can be tagged to Economy or Foreign policy bills, but CIR will not take place in 2009.

If we have real support in the house/senate, our recapture bill may be tagged to the other bills without much fuss. It is just reusing the visa number that are lost because they are not used within specified time. I think this logic will fly because they are not changing any or creating new immigration bill.

IV core, lets try and campaign to pass atleast recapture bill.

I don't think "Green cards for US educated higher degrees" won't fly either at this moment when so many Americans are losing jobs.

Only real hope to move our priority dates is the recapture bill. Lets try for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointlesswait View Post

Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
Pallavi79 is a splendid one to behold Pallavi79 is a splendid one to behold Pallavi79 is a splendid one to behold Pallavi79 is a splendid one to behold Pallavi79 is a splendid one to behold Pallavi79 is a splendid one to behold Pallavi79 is a splendid one to behold

I agree with it.

Last time when I saw the immigration statistics, 80% immigrants are family based and 20% is employment based. Most of the unemployment/layoffs are bluecollar jobs. So immigration reforms is easier if less number of family based immigrants.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of reddog has much to be proud of

Why are we so pessimistic about everything?
Why cant we just say 'Yes, It is going to happen'.
Smart asses will talks about being 'realistic' and 'look at the history' and stuff.

I have only one thing to say, this country has its first black president.
The country wanted a change, asked for it, was optimistic and look at what they got. Mr Obama.
Political pundits had a million reasons as to why Obama can never be the President of the USA, or even that he will not clinch the Democratic ticket.

Things are different. You can sleep and dream or wake up and dream.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
ksrk is a name known to all ksrk is a name known to all ksrk is a name known to all ksrk is a name known to all ksrk is a name known to all ksrk is a name known to all
Default Early in first term makes most sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilber View Post
Dude every politition plays politics and that is what they are supposed to do. Obama is a very very astitute Politician if he wasn't do you think he could have won over the Clintons???

If his interestes are alligned to ours his being astitute politician will be very very helpfull. My personal openion is he wants a second term he has to do some thing about immigration atleast show that he tried. and do it as early in his term as possible so that the back lash is limited. so lets wait and see. Offcourse we should continue the Lobying efforts...
I agree with this. Clearly, timing is everything! It makes most political sense to address immigration in the first term and earlier than later - so he can make the best of short-term memory (at the time of re-election) while reassuring immigrant groups of work/effort in the first term.

Of course, this can't precede measures to mitigate the economy effect or the war (a strong contention point Obama based his presidential bid on).

It sure remains to be seen how deftly he handles this topic with his team. Hopefully having pro-legal immigration folks like Janet Napolitano in his cabinet will be useful for our cause.

Hoping, praying and wishing all the best (including luck! )...
FP: Jan 15, 2008
FP & NC: Cleared Aug 2008
RFE Apr 2009 (responded Apr 2009)
CPO: Sep 10, 2009
Approval notice: Sep 14, 2009 (in the mail)

Old 01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice

i do agree that passing an immigration bill would be between tough to impossible considering the current economic scenario , but at the same time small piece-meal provisions might get through riding on various economic improving bills, what gets through and what does not remains to be seen

Old 01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
surabhi is a splendid one to behold surabhi is a splendid one to behold surabhi is a splendid one to behold surabhi is a splendid one to behold surabhi is a splendid one to behold surabhi is a splendid one to behold surabhi is a splendid one to behold
Default s-9 is immigration bill

It was immigration bill in 110th congress. They retain same numbers
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-s9/show