Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default 111th Congress and Immigration bills

Lets start new year and new congress and new prez. This is new development from immigration-law.com

Line-Up of House Leaders for 111th Congress With Power to Impact Immigration Legislations

Election of Majority and Minority Leaders:
Majority Leader: Representative Steny H. Hoyer
Minority Leader: Representative John A. Boehner
Election of Majority and Minority Whips: Majority Whip: Representative James E. Clyburn
Minority Whip: Representative Eric Cantor
Election of Chairmen of Key Immigration-Related Standing Committees:
Committee on Education and Labor: Representative George Miller (CA)
Committee on Homeland Security: Representative Thompson (MS
Committee on the Judiciary: Representative Conyers
Committee on Oversight and Government Reform: Representative Towns
Committee on Science and Technology: Representative Gordon (TN)

Also S-9 was introduced yesterday with floor speech.

S. 9 Bill Text:
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ``Stronger Economy, Stronger Borders Act of 2009''.
SEC. 2. SENSE OF CONGRESS.
It is the sense of Congress that Congress should enact, and the President should sign, legislation to strengthen the economy, recognize the heritage of the United States as a nation of immigrants, and amend the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 et seq.) by--
(1) providing more effective border and employment enforcement;
(2) preventing illegal immigration; and
(3) reforming and rationalizing avenues for legal immigration.
Senator Leahy Supporting Statement on the Senate Floor: .
Mr. Presdient, as we begin the 111th Congress, we will try, once again, to enact comprehensive immigration reforms that have eluded us in the past several years. With an administration that understands the critical necessity of meaningful reform and that understands the policy failures of the last 8 years, I am hopeful that the new Congress can finally enact legislation consistent with our history as a nation of immigrants. The majority leader has included immigration reform as among the legislative priorities for the new Congress. I look forward to working with him, Senator Kennedy, Senator McCain, and others interested in working toward the goal of immigration reform.
In 2006 and 2007, Congress attempted to pass practical and effective reforms to our immigration system. In 2006, the Senate did its part and passed legislation, only to be thwarted by those in the House of Representatives who opposed dealing with the issue in a meaningful way. In 2007, the House passed legislation only to have it blocked in the Senate by Republican Members opposed to effective reform. If our immigration policies are to be effective and play a role in restoring America's image around the world, we must reject the failed policies of the last 8 years. We cannot continue to deny asylum seekers because they have been forced at the point of a gun to provide assistance to those engaged in terrorist acts. We cannot continue to label as terrorist organizations those who have stood by the United States in armed conflict. We must not tolerate the tragic and needless death of a person in our custody for lack of basic medical care. We must ensure that children are not needlessly separated from their parents and that family unity is respected. We must move beyond the current policy that is focused on detaining and deporting those undocumented workers who have been abused and exploited by American employers but does nothing to change an environment that remains ripe for these abuses. We must protect the rights and opportunities of American workers and, at the same time, ensure that our Nation's farmers and employers have the help they need. We should improve the opportunities and make more efficient the processes for those who seek to come to America with the goal of becoming new Americans, whether to invest in our communities and create jobs, to be reunited with loved ones, or to seek freedom and opportunity and a better life. We must also live up to the goal of family reunification in our immigration policy and join at least 19 other nations that provide immigration equality to same-sex partners of different nationalities. And I believe we would be wise to reconsider the effectiveness and cost of a wall along our southern border, which has adversely affected the fragile environment and vibrant cross-border culture of an entire region. Such a wall stands as a symbol of fear and intolerance. This is not what America is about and we can do better. Those who oppose a realistic solution to address the estimated millions of people currently living and working in the United States without proper documentation have offered no alternative solution other than harsh penalties and more enforcement. The policies of the last 8 years, which have served only to appease the most extreme ideologues, must be replaced with sensible solutions. I am confident that our country and our economy will be far more secure when those who are currently living in the shadows of our society are recognized and provided the means to become lawful residents, if not a path to citizenship. As President-elect Obama's administration considers immigration issues, I look forward to working closely with them and with the Senate's leadership to find the best solutions. President-elect Obama's nominees to lead the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Labor understand very well the importance of sensible border policies and the importance of workers' rights. The American people look to all of us to forge a consensus for immigration reform that rejects the extreme ideology that has attended this issue and prevented real progress.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default CIR 2009 in House too

H.R.264
Title: To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to comprehensively reform immigration law, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Jackson-Lee, Sheila [TX-18] (introduced 1/7/2009) Cosponsors (None)

Text to be receive.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:h.r.00264:

Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute

You have done good research and very good news for everybody.
We all know, immigration bills had not passed in previous years. Let's hope for change this year and hope it passes. I know this is just the beginning, Let us be Optimistic and we will wait for any action item for these bills from IV.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

If immigration bill happens, we have to move fast and expand our support substantially. We need to get ready and get all immigrants involved with IV. That can only be done if each member helps and informs all his/her friends about IV

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts
Default question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
If immigration bill happens, we have to move fast and expand our support substantially. We need to get ready and get all immigrants involved with IV. That can only be done if each member helps and informs all his/her friends about IV
Hello Guys,
My question is, does this bill contain a recapture visa bill? And if this bill moves fast to become law, will it be implemented right away? I hope we don't have to wait another year for the law to be put in to use.

Please advise.

Last edited by kumarc123; 01-08-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarc123 View Post
Hello Guys,
My question is, does this bill contain a recapture visa bill? And if this bill moves fast to become law, will it be implemented right away? I hope we don't have to wait another year for the law to be put in to use.

Please advise.
They are just placeholder as of now. Wait for actul text to come. Even it may changed during hearing in sub and full commitee. Also on house floor too.

But as every one is positive, there will be some kind of relief for us. Dont know how. They may scrap EB system ( again not good for us who is in line but may be good for new applicants ) . OR recapture ( good for us and new one ). Most of discussion will be on illegal immigrants as it happend in past two CIR. We need to make sure they dont limit visas for us for shake of illegals.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
Default Hr264 Bad News For Us

JACKSON-LEE introduced house version of CIR. HR 264.

During last fall she was in our favour when Zoe was fighting for HR 5882 . Now in LEE's bill nothing for us. More strick restriction on LABOR process.

She wants to put advertise in community center , Schools , recreation center and in public transport.

I think CIR will be BAD for us,

Old 01-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up I don't think So.

CIR as introduced by House text is in http://imminfo.com/resources/HR264.html

There is a much better wordings to relieve most of the long pending applicants. The text is as below.

SEC. 501. EARNED ACCESS TO LEGALIZATION.
(a) In General- Chapter 5 of title II (8 U.S.C. 1255 et seq.) is amended by inserting after section 245A the following:
`ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS ON THE BASIS OF EARNED ACCESS TO LEGALIZATION
`Sec. 245B. (a) In General- The Secretary of Homeland Security may adjust the status of an alien to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence if the alien--
`(1) was physically present in the United States for a continuous period of not less than 5 years immediately preceding the date on which this provision was enacted and has maintained continuous physical presence since then;
`(2) has at all times been a person of good moral character;
`(3) has never been convicted of a criminal offense in the United States;
`(4) in the case of an alien who is 18 years of age or older, but who is not over the age of 65, has successfully completed a course on reading, writing, and speaking words in ordinary usage in the English language, unless unable to do so on account of physical or developmental disability or mental impairment;
`(5) in the case of an alien 18 years of age or older, has accepted the values and cultural life of the United States; and
`(6) in the case of an alien 18 years of age or older, has performed at least 40 hours of community service.
`(b) Treatment of Brief, Casual, and Innocent Absences- An alien shall not be considered to have failed to maintain a continuous presence in the United States for purposes of subsection (a)(1) by virtue of brief, casual, and innocent absences from the United States.
`(c) Admissible as Immigrant-
`(1) IN GENERAL- The alien shall establish that the alien is admissible to the United States as immigrant, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (2).
`(2) EXCEPTIONS- The provisions of paragraphs (5), (6)(A), (6)(B), (6)(C), (6)(F), (6)(G), (7)(A), (9)(B), and (9)(C)(i)(I) of section 212(a) shall not apply in the determination of an alien's admissibility under this section.
`(d) Security and Law Enforcement Clearances- The alien, if over 15 years of age, shall submit fingerprints in accordance with procedures established by the Secretary of Homeland Security. Such fingerprints shall be submitted to relevant Federal agencies to be checked against existing databases for information relating to criminal, national security, or other law enforcement actions that would render the alien ineligible for adjustment of status under this section. The Secretary of Homeland Security shall provide a process for challenging the accuracy of matches that result in a finding of ineligibility for adjustment of status.
`(e) Inapplicability of Numerical Limitations- When an alien is granted lawful permanent resident status under this subsection, the number of immigrant visas authorized to be issued under any provision of this Act shall not be reduced. The numerical limitations of sections 201 and 202 shall not apply to adjustment of status under this section.
`(f) Termination of Proceedings- The Secretary of Homeland Security may terminate removal proceedings without prejudice pending the outcome of an alien's application for adjustment of status under this section on the basis of a prima facie showing of eligibility for relief under this section.'.
(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of contents is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 245A the following:
`Sec. 245B. Adjustment of status on the basis of earned access to legalization.'.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/13/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future newbie2020 has a brilliant future

It talks more about Family Categories and nothing for Employment based categories.
I-140 Approved
I-485 : Yet to file
Waiting Priceless
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2005
Compare
sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold

The text is available on Thomas.gov

This bill is created to get support from larger population. Once it goes somewhere, stuff will be added.

"The whole history of these books is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills."

- One Great man to another, 1814

Old 01-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2005
Compare
sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold

goto http://www.thomas.gov

and search for Bill Number H.R.264

Click on 'Text of Legislation' then look for Title IIV

I guess Ms. Jackson Lee forgot to read this newsweek article -
http://www.newsweek.com/id/177432

"The whole history of these books is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills."

- One Great man to another, 1814

Last edited by sanju; 01-13-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future

Rep. Sheela Jackson seems to be all about removing unfair practices. This may be a good time to request her to remove the unfair and unjust country cap in EB immigration.

Should we start a phone/letter campaign?

$$$ Contributions:
$560 in one time contributions

Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I am confused

This bill as is talks about giving unlimited Greencard if you had stayed in the country for a min of 5 years. I don't understand what else could we need to reform here.

I read it twice now and yes it talks about doubling Family but she removed all caps on AOS for Legals staying more than 5 years.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:17 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbkris77 View Post
This bill as is talks about giving unlimited Greencard if you had stayed in the country for a min of 5 years. I don't understand what else could we need to reform here.

I read it twice now and yes it talks about doubling Family but she removed all caps on AOS for Legals staying more than 5 years.
There is a catch !!!! the person will have to apply under the section for it to apply. If the person has already applied under the EB based category, he's out of luck I guess.
Too early to tell how this would be received though. I fear that it will be seen as opening the floodgates. This is a starting point and it surely will be whittled down to something more towards the middle. Lets hope for the best.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/30/2006
Chargeability
:
Nigeria
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbkris77 View Post

I also read that section twice and I believe that it applies to anyone who has been here for 5 years - it does not distinguish whether legally or illegally.
There is nothing in the bill that increases employment based immigrant visas; even getting a non-immigrant work visa would be tougher than it currently is.
Most of the provisions of the bill would favor family based immigration.

Last edited by fromnaija; 01-14-2009 at 12:01 PM.