Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/28/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all gjoe is a name known to all
Post Time to start asking for refund of our Social Security and Medicare taxes

I think this is the right time to start asking for the refund of our Social Security and Medicare taxes. If we can achive this most of us who are here on H1B or waiting for GC can convert that money into other currencies and be ready to leave this place when we are asked to do so.
I think the H1b hire ban amendment in the senate bill will be a good bargaining chip to get our refund and exchange the dollars before it start crashing.
I485 Appl Mailed - 5Jul2007
I485 Appl ND - 7Sep2007
FP date -??
I485 Approval - ??

Last edited by gjoe; 02-07-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of

Good idea. It is a win situation for us. Either we get our green card fast. Or we get our hard earned money back.

What does IV core think about this ?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2005
Compare
sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjoe View Post
I think this is the right time to start asking for the refund of our Social Security and Medicare taxes. If we can achive this most of us who are here on H1B or waiting for GC can convert that money into other currencies and be ready to leave this place when we are asked to do so.
I think the H1b hire ban amendment in the senate bill will be a good bargaining chip to get our refund and exchange the dollars before it start crashng.

This is not just bad timing but its a bad idea even in good times. I know this may not be a popular idea here, but allow me to explain.

Social security is to provide security to the aged and retired. The system was designed such that, those who worked their entire life for building this country now needs to be taken care.

Now you can argue, why should I care, I may not see a dime if I am here at 60 or if I leave. Here is the deal. The way system works is, you are not paying so that you get something back one day when you are 60. You are paying your dues towards the folks who have aged right now.

Your next argument most likely could be, why should I pay towards the aged of this country, they are not my father and grandfather. And answer to that is, have you not used the roads, bridges and building that were build by the folks who are now old and need care. That's why you & all of us pay social security and medicare. Its your contribution towards taking care of the old and folks in the society who need help. Societies that take care of the children, woman and their older generation have always flourished.

You next possible argument could be, then why do citizens of few nations get their contribution made to the Social Security and medicare, and why is your money not going to be returned? The answer to that is, I am not a Prime Minister or Minster of Overseas. I would answer that question for you if I was Prime Minister or Minster of Overseas.

Bottomline, this is a long shot, we all have bigger problems ahead of us.

"The whole history of these books is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills."

- One Great man to another, 1814

Last edited by sanju; 02-06-2009 at 10:13 PM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future

I want my 250K taxes paid to US government back.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future

If H-1B workers cannot get a fair shot at employment in the US, then there is no reason why they should be generous enough to contribute to Social Security and Medicare.

We should demand our money back because our taxes are being used to promote an environment that is detrimental to our livelihood.

$$$ Contributions:
$560 in one time contributions

Old 02-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2005
Compare
sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsgc View Post
If H-1B workers cannot get a fair shot at employment in the US, then there is no reason why they should be generous enough to contribute to Social Security and Medicare.

We should demand our money back because our taxes are being used to promote an environment that is detrimental to our livelihood.
I don't think we can "demand" anything. We have to obey the law of the land or be sent to prison. Maybe you want to be Wesley Snipes' cell mate. He did not pay taxes and is in prison for 10 years, if I am not mistaken.

"The whole history of these books is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills."

- One Great man to another, 1814

Old 02-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future

This sounds unconstitutional to me.So what happens now.What happened to EOE and all that crap senators have preached.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future

That was a good one -

Anyway - we can certainly demand - whether someone gives in to our demands is a different matter. The point is, we should raise a big stink about this. Think about it, the system is getting from bad to worse, and that too on our dime? Our tax dollars went into making that Senate proceedings possible, and for what? to screw us over?

I think we should make as much noise as possible about the fact that we are:
- Tax paying legal residents on H-1B
- Our taxes were used for the TARP money
- We pay soc. sec. and medicare
- We should have an fair shot at employment in the US.

Also, you made a point about Social security being set up so that we pay our dues towards those who are already aged. I don't think that was the plan - the idea is you contribute YOUR money towards social security, so that YOU can use it after you retire. The problem is that the coffers have run dry, and therefore politicians come up with all sorts of explanations to describe the Soc. Security system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju View Post
I don't think we can "demand" anything. We have to obey the law of the land or be sent to prison. Maybe you want to be Wesley Snipes' cell mate. He did not pay taxes and is in prison for 10 years, if I am not mistaken.

$$$ Contributions:
$560 in one time contributions

Old 02-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute bsbawa10 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is exactly the right time. Strike the iron when it is hot. Why should we pay for social security are not green card holders and we are not citizens and they have put a million hurdles in our way to achieve those.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2007
Chargeability
:
Cyprus
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
gapala is infamous around these parts gapala is infamous around these parts
Default You mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_wow View Post
This sounds unconstitutional to me.So what happens now.What happened to EOE and all that crap senators have preached.
Did you mean to say EEO? Equal Employment Opportunity.

This is still applicable for employers but unfortunately that does not say anything about specific Visa . This is about demographic diversity not based on immigration status. Otherwise the EEO employers would have sponsored H1B's as well. Lot of them generally do not sponsor H1B's as its not specific in EEO guidelines.

Only thing that senator's fliped on is diversity goals and now jumping up and down for protectionism. Wait for some more months, they are going to define the preferences Citizens->GC holders->H1B Visas (least prefered category for jobs )

Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2008
Compare
a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold a1b2c3 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbawa10 View Post
I think this is exactly the right time. Strike the iron when it is hot. Why should we pay for social security are not green card holders and we are not citizens and they have put a million hurdles in our way to achieve those.
I second this. Even if our demands are not met, we will get our point across that we pay for all these unemployment benefits and bailouts which we cannot avail ourselves of.
You shouldn't worry about whether this time is right or that time is right, whether green card country quota needs be opposed now or opposed later.
Mostly, it will all amount to nothing today but it gets the message across and eventually action might be taken against it tomorrow.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju View Post
Your next argument most likely could be, why should I pay towards the aged of this country, they are not my father and grandfather. And answer to that is, have you not used the roads, bridges and building that were build by the folks who are now old and need care. That's why you & all of us pay social security and medicare. Its your contribution towards taking care of the old and folks in the society who need help. Societies that take care of the children, woman and their older generation have always flourished.
.................................................. .......................................
.................................................. ......
We pay taxes to build roads and bridges. We cannot demand that back. We have to pay taxes wherever we live. Social Security is not meant for that.

Every employee is paying social security and medicare for himself. Not for the older generation. The Social Security system is so ill designed that they have to take from Today's generation to pay the older generation.

We don't owe anything to older generation. We owe it to ourselves. If we decide to leave the country we should get our money back.

BTW Americans don't have the culture of caring for elders like us. Parents don't care that much for their kids here. Nor do the children care about their parents when they are old. You can see it for yourself if you look around in your American neighborhood.

Last edited by gc28262; 02-06-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare
lp2007 will become famous soon enough lp2007 will become famous soon enough

It is about time we should be asking for our money back, the Social security and Medicare for which H1-B workers are not eligible. Most Americans think people on H1-B do not have to pay taxes. Even if we don't get our money back, may be making some noise about it would educate some part of the popluation about the contribution of foreign workers in this country, unlike the negative propganda that foreign workers use up the reources and not have to pay anything.
I have personnaly experienced even some educated people ask me that question about taxes.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc28262 View Post
We pay taxes to build roads and bridges. We cannot demand that back. We have to pay taxes wherever we live. Social Security is not meant for that.

Every employee is paying social security and medicare for himself. Not for the older generation. The Social Security system is so ill designed that they have to take from Today's generation to pay the older generation.

We don't owe anything to older generation. We owe it to ourselves. If we decide to leave the country we should get our money back.

BTW Americans don't have the culture of caring for elders like us. Parents don't care that much for their kids here. Nor do the children care about their parents when they are old. You can see it for yourself if you look around in your American neighborhood.
I agree on this one. If someone doesn't want me here then I am ok with it. But Hey! Get me my SS and Medicare contributions so that I can get to use in my old age wherever I end up with my retirement.
I will follow by rules and laws of land but I'll really not let my hard earned money to be enjoyed by someone else if they kick my butt out of the country.
SS MONEY IS MEANT FOR

2 Retirement, auxiliary, survivors, and disability benefits
2.1 Primary Insurance Amount
2.2 Normal retirement age
2.3 Spouse's benefit
2.4 Widow's benefits
2.5 Children's benefits
2.6 Disability
2.7 Estimated net Social Security benefits under differing circumstances

Area of debate: Does it happen the way we want or someone controls our life and fate by signing a bill?
I guess, reality is the latter.

Finally moved to Canada at the end of June, 2012

Old 02-07-2009, 03:28 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/31/2009
Compare
polapragada is a splendid one to behold polapragada is a splendid one to behold polapragada is a splendid one to behold polapragada is a splendid one to behold polapragada is a splendid one to behold polapragada is a splendid one to behold polapragada is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc28262 View Post
Good idea. It is a win situation for us. Either we get our green card fast. Or we get our hard earned money back.

What does IV core think about this ?
It will never happen... you in a captlist contry bro means use and throw