Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   IV Agenda and Legislative Updates (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/)
-   -   48 hrs left: IV working with QGA for Jud. Committee members. Hold off faxes for now (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/238-48-hrs-left-iv-working-with-qga-for-jud-committee-members-hold-off-faxes-for-now.html)

ragz4u 02-24-2006 04:27 PM

48 hrs left: IV working with QGA for Jud. Committee members. Hold off faxes for now

Update 02/28/2006, 3.00 pm EST

We got a tremendous number of volunteers sending faxes to their senators. This is the kind of effort that we need to get ourselves heard. Thanks to everyone for doing their part.

As of now, please hold off on sending the faxes. As per the advise of QGA, we are targetting only the Judiciary committee members for now and via direct channels (not faxes). As per another thread here, some of the IV core members are in DC for the next few days and are working to get us heard.

Till then, lets keep on getting more folks to join us and contribute to our joint efforts. We need to strengthen ourselves for looming battles and only more membership/funds can help us achieve that.

We will let you know again if we need to send faxes.

Thanks again to all the folks who chipped in.

Everyone,

As reported in another thread here, Senator Specter has prepared a draft version of his Comprehensive Immigration Bill. The doc can be found here.
This will be brought to the Judiciary Committee on March 2nd (coming Thursday).

The judiciary committee can approve or reject the bill. This bill has a lot of pro-immigrant legislations like

1) Increase in visa numbers to 290,000
2) No numerical limit for advanced degree holder
3) Dependents not counted towards eb numbers
4) Per country limit raised from 7% to 10%

We need to make sure that we convey to the Judiciary committee members and other senators that we support the bill. Be assured that anti-immigrant forces will contact the lawmakers too. But we need to make sure we are not forgotten.

This is the first step in our goal of achieving a pro-immigrant Comprehensive Immigration Bill. We cannot be lax/falter in this step else we might just lose the war!

Given that this bill will be brought to the Judiciary Committee on March 2nd, this leaves us with only THREE working days to go.

The following is the gameplan for the next three days

1) Click here for the webfax feature to fax your senators. Update your profile and send faxes to your senators/representatives. Do so TODAY. We need everyone to pitch in NOW. Once you have sent a fax, reply to this thread and I will update the summary in the second post.
Call your friends today to join IV and send faxes. This is not the time to be shy/worried of your cell phone minutes. Make sure they fax the senators too.

2) On Monday and Tuesday, call up the senator's office mention about the fax you sent on Friday and ask for an appointment. Even if they do not give you one, ask to speak to the immigration liasion in the senator's office. Helpful tips for this are available here

Do not think that you do not need to fax because the legislation is already good for us. You cannot be more wrong. Remember S.1932 and Sections 8001 and 8002? They were good too but they failed because we did not do enough. Lets learn from our mistakes and avoid repeating the same mistakes.

Update : The IV team has done extensive analysis of the Specter draft and have come up with a new webfax. Please send the new webfax to your senators/reps.

Also, for all those who sent the fax on Fri, please call up your senators office and ask for an appointment.

LETS ROLL....

ragz4u 02-24-2006 04:29 PM

Summary of thread

Total members who sent the faxes - 37

McCain & Kyl (AZ) - MerciesOfInjustices
Boxer & Feinstein (CA) cwygc, bluekayal, coolstonesa, need_ead, windingroad, cagcwait
Salazar & Allard (CO) - wrldnw4me, rbms
Martinez & Nelson (FL) - bkam, GCwaitforever
Isakson & Chambliss (GA)- waitingonlc
Kennedy & Kerry (MA) - deisel, mjdup
Mikulski & Sarbanes (MD) - gc_bucs
Hagel and Nelson (NE) - wellwishergc
Dole and Burr (NC) - sobers, jungalee43, leoindiano
Lautenberg & Menendez (NJ) - small2006, bklog_sufferer
Ensign & Reid (NV) - logiclife
Schumer & Clinton (NY) - beppenyc, mdforgc, ksurjan
Mikulski & Sarbanes (MD) gc_bucs
DeWine & Voinovich (OH) - ashismaity
Specter & Santorium (PA) - ragz4u
Cornyn & Hutchison (TX) - arihant, munnu77, n77, lca2004, xbohdpukc,
Allen & Warner (VA) - MindGlow
Cantwell & Murray (WA) - pateketu
Feingold & Kohl (WI) - pdman, neel_gump, mat

jungalee43 02-24-2006 04:42 PM

E-mail from senate.gov is more effective

My experience at the time of S1932 is that I received replies from both the local senator as well as the congressman when I sent them e-mail from senate.gov, house.gov or from C-SPAN. I never received any feedbak on several web faxes that I sent. You can provide one or all of these e-mail links.

avi101 02-24-2006 04:44 PM

This is an important message. Could you post it in brief (possibly linking to this thread if you want to confine the real-estate) the front page too in "attention grabingly bold" font for the next few days...

Thanks for the great work that you guys are doing!

waitingonlc 02-24-2006 04:44 PM

Sent to GA senators.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragz4u
02/24/2006 - Sent fax to Arlen Specter and Rick Santorium (PA)

Sent to GA senators.

wellwishergc 02-24-2006 04:46 PM

Sent efax to Nebraska senators/congressmen

I have sent efax to Nebraska senators (Hagel/Nelson) and a congressmen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragz4u
Everyone,

As reported in another thread here, Senator Specter has prepared a draft version of his Comprehensive Immigration Bill. The doc can be found here.
This will be brought to the Judiciary Committee on March 2nd (coming Thursday).

The judiciary committee can approve or reject the bill. This bill has a lot of pro-immigrant legislations like

1) Increase in visa numbers to 290,000
2) No numerical limit for advanced degree holder
3) Dependents not counted towards eb numbers
4) Per country limit raised from 7% to 10%

We need to make sure that we convey to the Judiciary committee members and other senators that we support the bill. Be assured that anti-immigrant forces will contact the lawmakers too. But we need to make sure we are not forgotten.

This is the first step in our goal of achieving a pro-immigrant Comprehensive Immigration Bill. We cannot be lax/falter in this step else we might just lose the war!

Given that this bill will be brought to the Judiciary Committee on March 2nd, this leaves us with only THREE working days to go.

The following is the gameplan for the next three days

1) Click here for the webfax feature to fax your senators. Update your profile and send faxes to your senators/representatives. Do so TODAY. We need everyone to pitch in NOW. Once you have sent a fax, reply to this thread and I will update the summary in the second post.
Call your friends today to join IV and send faxes. This is not the time to be shy/worried of your cell phone minutes. Make sure they fax the senators too.

2) On Monday and Tuesday, call up the senator's office mention about the fax you sent on Friday and ask for an appointment. Even if they do not give you one, ask to speak to the immigration liasion in the senator's office. Helpful tips for this are available here

Do not think that you do not need to fax because the legislation is already good for us. You cannot be more wrong. Remember S.1932 and Sections 8001 and 8002? They were good too but they failed because we did not do enough. Lets learn from our mistakes and avoid repeating the same mistakes.

LETS ROLL....

ragz4u 02-24-2006 04:47 PM

Will do so soon, till the changes are made, please send faxes to senators

Quote:

Originally Posted by avi101
This is an important message. Could you post it in brief (possibly linking to this thread if you want to confine the real-estate) the front page too in "attention grabingly bold" font for the next few days...

Thanks for the great work that you guys are doing!

Thanks

ragz4u 02-24-2006 04:49 PM

Could you please update the names of the senators so I can add it to summary

Quote:

Originally Posted by waitingonlc
Sent to GA senators.

Thanks

wrldnw4me 02-24-2006 04:49 PM

Which content we need to select from webfax ?

I'm not sure which fax i need to select to send.

listed options are
3 Request for a Meeting to Discuss Backlog Processing Issues 16 Sample
4 Support President's State of the Union Address 15 Sample
5 Immigration Clauses and the PACE act

Which one needs to be sent

Thanks

ragz4u 02-24-2006 04:50 PM

A lot of members of IV might find it easier to just click a couple of times here

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungalee43
My experience at the time of S1932 is that I received replies from both the local senator as well as the congressman when I sent them e-mail from senate.gov, house.gov or from C-SPAN. I never received any feedbak on several web faxes that I sent. You can provide one or all of these e-mail links.

But thanks for the info. We will definitely look into that option too. Will pass this info on to the admin

At the same time, please send a fax NOW and update your thread so we can track which senators are covered!

diesel 02-24-2006 05:04 PM

Sent to MA senators

beppenyc 02-24-2006 05:08 PM

I did it

To Schummer and Clinton

wrldnw4me 02-24-2006 05:09 PM

Sent to CO Senators and House Representative Joe Hafley

Done :)

sobers 02-24-2006 05:23 PM

sent high skilled immig fax to Sen Dole and Burr, and Rep Price (NC)

bkam 02-24-2006 05:23 PM

fax to FL senators

Sent fax to FL senators, option 1.