Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vikra007 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston2005 View Post
Just try to enroll into a PhD program and then you will realize what it takes to finish a PhD in STEM.

If it was that simple then by now everyone would be in Phd program, just like they are now in IT (no offense to IT people).

Such bills and piecemeal immigration reforms are long overdue and should have been enacted earlier. I commend & appreciate Jeff Flake and Senators like John Cornyn and Arlen Specter who are champions for STEM related bills and amendments. They are atleast bringing some hope to community.
I agree with you. I would like to see some support from IV for this bill. The bill is already introduced and if we can give some push it would be easy to get passed.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
chanukya has a reputation beyond repute chanukya has a reputation beyond repute chanukya has a reputation beyond repute chanukya has a reputation beyond repute chanukya has a reputation beyond repute chanukya has a reputation beyond repute chanukya has a reputation beyond repute chanukya has a reputation beyond repute chanukya has a reputation beyond repute chanukya has a reputation beyond repute chanukya has a reputation beyond repute
Default If the Job requires PhD

This bill will benifit Univ Recruitement of Lecturers and scientists, with PhD qualifications and in some research areas also in private sector (If any left here in US,---during Obama tenure and after Out sourciing the research also to India).

The underlying condition is that Job should require a PhD....

Given the economy, one can easily imagine which employer would dare to say that a particular job requires PhD and stand the test of DOL

Looks like somebody from Immigrant community is working with House to plug the leaks....in the law....becoming more and more precise in law making....

Old 04-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcabcla View Post
One of my friends who have finished Ph.D in computer science in year 2001 in US, he still found difficulty to get a job at that time and then left US. Suppose right now you have Ph.D in STEM, you still need the employer sponsorship for H-1b and then GC. If no employer sponsorship, even you have Ph.D, so how can you get the GC???????? So I do love getting Ph.D without tied to employers' sponsorship for GC may be much better!!!!!!!!! It is because some employers may find filing H-1b is both time- and money- consuming process and some employers may not like it!!!!!
Yes PhD itself takes 6 years and you get 1000$ each month during that period. Even after that you have to do a 1 year Post doc at 35K / annum. Hopefully after that you can land into a faculty position of 60 to 65K. Practically you have to endure 7 years of just subsistence living. Not to mention your adviser knows that you are foreign student and expect more work as RA. You are better off with 7 years on EB2 or even EB3. At least your employer is paying you more than 1000$ per month.

Lately there is an over supply of PhD from the tech downturn when many students
went in for PhD instead of working after MS. With budget cuts at state level and excess
of existing faculty (as STEM undergrad went down after the tech downturn), newly minted PhD can hardly get a faculty position unless you are from top branded schools like Stanford, etc.

Last edited by go_guy123; 04-05-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default interesting comments

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9131048

It is a mix of comments for pro/con.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
asdeepu is on a distinguished road
Default Staple

Hello all,
This is my first post. I am PhD student majoring in Math..........If this bill passes it will be a boon for all international PhDs. But congressman Flake proposed this in 2008 and it died very soon. I hope it will gain some momentum this time atleast. Is it possible to send a supporting letter from many international PhD students to publicize it?

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-7184

thanking you
Deepak

Old 04-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdeepu View Post
Hello all,
This is my first post. I am PhD student majoring in Math..........If this bill passes it will be a boon for all international PhDs. But congressman Flake proposed this in 2008 and it died very soon. I hope it will gain some momentum this time atleast. Is it possible to send a supporting letter from many international PhD students to publicize it?

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-7184

thanking you
Deepak
Count me in for the campaign and individual contribution. Admins here dont seem to bother about this bill. I sought help from IV a few times back but no one replied.

May be we should just send letters personally.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts suriajay12 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikra007 View Post
Count me in for the campaign and individual contribution. Admins here dont seem to bother about this bill. I sought help from IV a few times back but no one replied.

May be we should just send letters personally.
I'm in.