Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunil68 is on a distinguished road
Default Hahahahaha!

Asking help from Senator Sessions for your G-card is like asking help from Bil Ladan to wipe out islamic terrorism. I w'd be extremely curious to read his reponse if you get one at all.

This guy was talking about benefits of legal immigration and introducing Canada/Australia style G-card system only a few weeks ago when law makers were discussing illegal immigration. When it came to legal immigration, then he stood against it like a wall of ice. Talk of people using divide and rule, he is the perfect example of that.

On a sad note, it seems even Dems are doing the same thing. When Cornyn wanted to put our bill in India Nuke bill, Joe Biden said dems will take that up along with CIR next jan. Same old game of promises and betrayal. Now even dems will not be taking up CIR next year as this has been turned into a very sentimental issue now by Lou dobbs and his xenophobic racist gang. Did not you see Nancy Pelosi's agenda for january? They are worried about their presidential and house races in 2008 and don't want to take any chance. Harry Reid might say this is one of the first things on his agenda next year and Tad Kennedy and McCain might keep meeting and talking over a cup of tea, but we have seen all this drama so many times that it does not thrill us any more.

Bottomline, we are not needed the way we used to be in '70s and '80's and so be contended with the current pace of g-card processing. If you have patience and luck, stay here, else leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCwaitforever
Indians have bunch of these tricks up their sleeves. Some are paid to take these interviews. Either the interviewer should rely on certification programs or employ voice recogntion and video conferencing to fish out these duds.

Coming to the SKIL bill and Sen. Sessions, I am mailing my story to him at http://sessions.senate.gov/email/contact.cfm. Hopefully, he will come around and support immigration reform.

Dear Senator Sessions,

I am a legal immigrant living in this country from 1995. I have been paying income taxes dutifully and contributed to the American Economy all these years. I paid Social Security and Medicare taxes, and as part of the bargain, I am eligible for Social Security payments when I retire. I own a house in this country and I am married.

I came to know that you put a hold on SKIL bill in the Senate as you have not received any feedback from legal immigrants. This is in response to your hold.

I applied for Greencard in May 2002. I have two Masters degrees and over eight years of leadership experience in the IT field in Fortune 100 companies. I have about thirteen years of experience in the IT industry. You would have expected that I should have the Greencard in my hand by now. That is not the case unfortunately.

My case is languishing in the labor certification stage at Philadelphia backlog Elimination Center for the past two years. Labor certification is the first stage in the Greencard processing. I am into my 7th year H-1B extension now and I have to renew my VISA every year.

My wife is a structural Engineer who had to put her career on hold, because she can not work until my Greencard petition moves forward. My wife has a Masters degree in Structural Engineering. We hear in papers that Alabama is short of Engineers. Why not improve efficiency at USCIS and use available workforce in the US?

Legal immigration reform is essential to alleviate the pain and suffering borne out by legal immigrants in unending waits for the relief.

I am expecting my Greencard petition to arrive only in another four years.

Some of the anti-immigrants complain that more immigration pollutes the cities and chokes the cities. This is a falsehood propagated by them. My wife and I are living in this country as we speak. Granting us faster immigration relief does not increase population, rather it changes our status only - from hung upside down to standing straight.

I request you to support EB immigration reform bills in Senate in the future and show us some light. The focus should be on how quickly America can assimilate legal immigrants by making the process easier. I am sure you would come hard on USCIS to process immigrant petitions efficiently.

Some of the key provisions which would need your support are ...

1. Recapturing VISA numbers from past years, which were left unused as USCIS never processed the full annual quota of immigration petitions in a timely manner, thus letting them expire.

2. Allowing EB immigrants to apply for three year work permits instead of one year work permits which they have to renew every year. This lets us renew our drivers licenses also every three years instead of every one year.

3. Forcing FBI to completing fingure print checks and background checks in a timely fashion instead of current waits which stretch to three years or more.

4. Processing labor certifications in the backlog elimination centers by September 2007 as promised to Congress in the past.

5. Ability to file for I-485 petition, even when the priority is not current. This would help lots of people in the retrogressed categories of immigration.

Thanks a lot for your time in reading in this lengthy post. I hope you see the suffering of EB immigrants and support immigration reform in the future.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Compare
GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil68

Asking help from Senator Sessions for your G-card is like asking help from Bil Ladan to wipe out islamic terrorism. I w'd be extremely curious to read his reponse if you get one at all.

This guy was talking about benefits of legal immigration and introducing Canada/Australia style G-card system only a few weeks ago when law makers were discussing illegal immigration. When it came to legal immigration, then he stood against it like a wall of ice. Talk of people using divide and rule, he is the perfect example of that.

On a sad note, it seems even Dems are doing the same thing. When Cornyn wanted to put our bill in India Nuke bill, Joe Biden said dems will take that up along with CIR next jan. Same old game of promises and betrayal. Now even dems will not be taking up CIR next year as this has been turned into a very sentimental issue now by Lou dobbs and his xenophobic racist gang. Did not you see Nancy Pelosi's agenda for january? They are worried about their presidential and house races in 2008 and don't want to take any chance. Harry Reid might say this is one of the first things on his agenda next year and Tad Kennedy and McCain might keep meeting and talking over a cup of tea, but we have seen all this drama so many times that it does not thrill us any more.

Bottomline, we are not needed the way we used to be in '70s and '80's and so be contended with the current pace of g-card processing. If you have patience and luck, stay here, else leave.
Thanks for your advice. The intent of the letter is to show a different perspective to Senator Sessions. Nothing more or nothig less. He said he did not receive any feedback from legal immigrants. Fine, we say here it comes. If he continues to block legal immigration reform bills, he has to find another pretext, not "no feedback from immigrants".

There is always a rational side in every human being. Senator Sessions is smart. Let us hope Senator Sessions surprises us by bringing his own version of EB immigration reform.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vroapp is on a distinguished road
Default Would you be considered an "immigrant"?

GCWaitforever, please make sure if stating that you are an immigrant is acceptable or not; in your letter to Sen. Sessions, I mean...

Last edited by vroapp; 12-12-2006 at 08:39 PM.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dixie will become famous soon enough

Technically, we are applicants for immigrant status who are stuck in non-immigrant status indefinitely. A prospective immigrant is different from one granted legal residency (GC holder). Not sure if it makes a difference or not in the eyes of congressmen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroapp
GCWaitforever, please make sure if stating that you are an immigrant is acceptable or not; in your letter to Sen. Sessions, I mean...

Last edited by dixie; 12-12-2006 at 09:09 PM.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts

If we see the history H1B and GC numbers were never increased except 2004 20k inpast 15 years In 2000 it was increasd temporarlily for 4 years.Also EB numbers were never increased except temporary reliefs.If it is increased by Skill bill in current form that is really an acheivement. If there is a possiblity they may increase H1B because that is temorary visa(But in reallity not) and GC numbers may remain same. But if increased to 115k then also cap will be reached in another 1 month because there are more number of Desi companies than number of H1Bs. Thats why they are asking exemptions for MS people and 20% adjustment for every year. We have to wait and see whether congress fall on this trap to do this without analysing the impact.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
qplearn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil68

If you think it is that ridiculuous, then you should tell the core members that. They did ask us to call him on the last day of LD. There is nothing wrong in writing to him. In fact, you are making a comparison that is not correct.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/27/2010
Compare
the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute the_jaguar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by qplearn
If you think it is that ridiculuous, then you should tell the core members that. They did ask us to call him on the last day of LD. There is nothing wrong in writing to him. In fact, you are making a comparison that is not correct.
Actually, it was an exceptional situation. As you are well aware of, we had to get an unanimous consent if the skil bill were to pass in the LD, so, we needed to have Session's approval. To deflect the situation, he just said that his office hadnt received any positive comments.. When we ended up jamming his phones and gave all the positive comments, what came out of that, nuthing.. he did not budge from his stance.. It was just a ploy and even if the entire US of A had called him, he would not have changed his stance.. He had to score brownie points from his supporters. He knows that the Skil bill will be passed next year, and may be some form of CIR even.. He can then blame it on the democrats and stand for re-election in 2009 with complete support from his supporters..
Its all a gimmick for votes. This is politics, same thing in every country, just more sophisticated here...

Old 12-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
alisa is just really nice alisa is just really nice alisa is just really nice alisa is just really nice
Default Its our responsibility to educate the legislators

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCwaitforever
Thanks for your advice. The intent of the letter is to show a different perspective to Senator Sessions. Nothing more or nothig less. He said he did not receive any feedback from legal immigrants. Fine, we say here it comes. If he continues to block legal immigration reform bills, he has to find another pretext, not "no feedback from immigrants".

There is always a rational side in every human being. Senator Sessions is smart. Let us hope Senator Sessions surprises us by bringing his own version of EB immigration reform.
I agree whole-heartedly.
Senators/Congressmen are rational, smart and intelligent people. We HAVE to apprise them of our situation.
We have a legitimate, common sense and good cause on our side.

In this time of globalization and increased competition, do the senators/congressmen really want this country to lose half a million highly skilled, experienced and trained-in-America-for-years people to India and China, and to Europe and canada?

If they put 'holds' or refuse to take up our cause after they are fully aware of our situation, then atleast you know that they are doing it out of racism and/or narrow political and parochial motives.

But unless we make our situation known to these guys, we shouldn't really blame them.......Also, those with kids born in America might get more of a response from the legislators.

It is pathetic that there is a thread from NJ, and the guy is begging people to join/respond; it is mind-boggling that there are only seven members from NJ. It is absolutely ridiculous that the only two responses on the 'Calling all Wisconsin members' have been from myself, and another person. And that other person is from Illinois......

Can there be any guidance from the core team about personalizing our stories, and making those known to the legislators?

Old 12-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2007
Compare
pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of
Default we are Off track!

I posted to topic "My concern- Skill in 2009"...then came proud american..derailed us off track and then we forgot our route....now back to the route....what action are we talking to intorduce this Eb interm relief Bill in senate in Jan..I think we need an input from Core members about how to proceed here..

Each of us write to all out state senators and also important once like Nance pelosi, Mccain..so on...about providing some non-contraversial releif...we need to mention those and send LEGIBLE HAND WRITTEN LETTERS without spelling mistakes and send it fedex.....Send it during Chirstmas ...dot forget to mention God Bless America...just explain in simple words that we have been waiting for some relief from 2001 and have not seen any...please consider passing these non-contraversial issuses....I think they are reasonable and would agree....also mention that we have been dodged like a football saying skill/CIR and so on....
Better yet a skillfull person writing this and all of us using this...

Target is to intorduce the EB interm bill by End of Jan

Old 12-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/21/2005
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/21/2005
Compare
waitingGC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgal369
what would you say if there was a bill that provided for H-1bs:
1) visa for three years
2) minimum of median wage to be paid
3) free change of employers during the three years
4) must only leave country if unemployed for more than 60 days
5) at the end of 3 years, if not unemployed for more than 60 days, automatic green card

Would you prefer it over skil bill, which essentially only provides more visa and H-1b numbers?
If you would, read this proposal on the numbersusa site:
http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/Summary.pdf

If it looks like neither skil nor CIR are getting anywhere maybe its time to try and get this introduced in congress, originally propsed by our "friends" from the other side
maybe we can introduce this as a bill instead of skil
With this bill, I believe many people here can be granted green card automatically. I myself would support this bill! But I doubt whethter the business lobbiests who want to increase H-1B quota would support it.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jimi_Hendrix will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisa
I agree whole-heartedly.
Senators/Congressmen are rational, smart and intelligent people. We HAVE to apprise them of our situation.
We have a legitimate, common sense and good cause on our side.

In this time of globalization and increased competition, do the senators/congressmen really want this country to lose half a million highly skilled, experienced and trained-in-America-for-years people to India and China, and to Europe and canada?

If they put 'holds' or refuse to take up our cause after they are fully aware of our situation, then atleast you know that they are doing it out of racism and/or narrow political and parochial motives.

But unless we make our situation known to these guys, we shouldn't really blame them.......Also, those with kids born in America might get more of a response from the legislators.

It is pathetic that there is a thread from NJ, and the guy is begging people to join/respond; it is mind-boggling that there are only seven members from NJ. It is absolutely ridiculous that the only two responses on the 'Calling all Wisconsin members' have been from myself, and another person. And that other person is from Illinois......

Can there be any guidance from the core team about personalizing our stories, and making those known to the legislators?
Alisa, sadly that is the problem. Not enough people want to pick up the spade and work with the NJ or other chapters. I hope that more and more people will realize that creating awareness among politicians is the first step to getting their support when some bill comes up for discussion.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by pani_6
I posted to topic "My concern- Skill in 2009"...then came proud american..derailed us off track and then we forgot our route....now back to the route....what action are we talking to intorduce this Eb interm relief Bill in senate in Jan..I think we need an input from Core members about how to proceed here..

Each of us write to all out state senators and also important once like Nance pelosi, Mccain..so on...about providing some non-contraversial releif...we need to mention those and send LEGIBLE HAND WRITTEN LETTERS without spelling mistakes and send it fedex.....Send it during Chirstmas ...dot forget to mention God Bless America...just explain in simple words that we have been waiting for some relief from 2001 and have not seen any...please consider passing these non-contraversial issuses....I think they are reasonable and would agree....also mention that we have been dodged like a football saying skill/CIR and so on....
Better yet a skillfull person writing this and all of us using this...

Target is to intorduce the EB interm bill by End of Jan
Yes let us get back on track. Core members please respond with comments about interim relief in January.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute

All actions taken by IV is for the community. We are enjoying many benefits (AC21, 7th year H) etc that was a struggle by earlier outfits like ISN.

IV will be successful.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

You are right CIR does contain provisions that allow workers to self petition.
And yes, SKIL does not allow us to self petition, it is a travesty.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dixie will become famous soon enough
Default F4

F4 visa in CIR is the only clause that has self-petition for legal immigrants - again not sure if it is effective retrospectively. Speaking of travesties, what we are going through is already a big one. Frankly, we will be lucky to get any relief at all, let alone hard-to-pass clauses like self-petitioning. From what we saw during CIR, even die-hard pro-immigrant senators like Ted Kennedy aren't too keen on self-petitioning for legals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi_Hendrix
You are right CIR does contain provisions that allow workers to self petition.
And yes, SKIL does not allow us to self petition, it is a travesty.