Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   IV Agenda and Legislative Updates (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/)
-   -   IV Update: Text of the 'outsourcing bill' (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/25288-iv-update-text-of-the-outsourcing-bill.html)

Marphad 04-28-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morchu (Post 336808)
Understood. Now you want all H1 L1 B1 everything to be stopped. So lets vote only for EAD/AP/GC till you get your GC. After that US should stop GC also, right? (but ofcourse, naturalization still should remain open for a few more years).

If one person can work for your job at $8/hr, and you are charging $100/hr, market would adjust itself to $8/hr (for a moment forget about who does this $8/hr, it can be a high-school kid, or anybody).The only reason why somebody blames that $8/hr kid for loosing his job is because he "thinks" he is "superior" to that kid. There are many situations where companies decide to retain "fresh college grads" and layoff "senior experienced" persons, to save money.

Don't take me wrong, but I also think the L1 is mis-used a bit. But I personally think the mis-usage comes from other factors (like H1 unavailability, employer prefer L1 because employee cannot change to another employer in L1, other H1 restrictions) etc..

I would not say there is a lot of misuse. In any law there will be some level of misuse / abuse. Because of current economic situation, this is just hyped.

More, I think the angle to look at H1 / L1 misuse is wrong. If any misuse / abuse is happening, that is because of improper address to labor situation. If government believed that there is a shortage in labor market, they should allow a person to come on his own visa that is independant of employer. Let that person fill the labor shortage gap. Rather they made everything employer dependant, gave employers full change to misuse / abuse the H1 and L1 category and the real solution to the issue - work force is paying heavy price of idiotic visa policy.

gc28262 04-28-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by add78 (Post 337338)
I would strongly suggest everyone to acquaint himself/herself with the legislative process and how a bill moves through different phases / steps before it becomes a law. You can find many postings documenting the process.

Right now it is just introduced in the senate. The problem for us is that Sen Durbin is Democratic Whip (i.e. Assistant Majority Leader) which gives him tremendous influence over garnering votes and referring which legislation to consider to the Majority Leader (Harry Reid in the Senate). Ultimately Reid decides which legislation get priority consideration. The fact that Grassley is a Republican and is close to the Minority Leader (I think) does not help us either. We will monitor the progress of the bill.

Question to IV core.
Can't we turn Mr Durbin to our side since IL has a large Indian community ?

ganguteli 04-28-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc28262 (Post 337359)
Question to IV core.
Can't we turn Mr Durbin to our side since IL has a large Indian community ?

Define which Indian community?
Gujratis who own motels and shops and will want more family immigration vs H1B

or

Indians who are now citizens. They will want less Indians to reduce competition for their jobs or for their children.

or

Desi consulting owners : less said the better

or
Desi H1b, students EAD etc...
They are a scared lot anyways and only worry about their immigration status and making dollars. Go tell them about IV if you can?

So tell which Indian community you are talking about?

gc_on_demand 04-28-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganguteli (Post 337366)
Define which Indian community?
Gujratis who own motels and shops and will want more family immigration vs H1B

or

Indians who are now citizens. They will want less Indians to reduce competition for their jobs or for their children.

or

Desi consulting owners : less said the better

or
Desi H1b, students EAD etc...
They are a scared lot anyways and only worry about their immigration status and making dollars. Go tell them about IV if you can?

So tell which Indian community you are talking about?

Gangu ???

Didnot understand ur first two points... Are Gujaratis not indian ? Can you be little more specific ?

ganguteli 04-28-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc_on_demand (Post 337372)
Gangu ???

Didnot understand ur first two points... Are Gujaratis not indian ? Can you be little more specific ?

Because of more population of that group in that area

return_to_india 04-28-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappu (Post 336865)
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...423_219068.htm

But advocates for skilled immigrants—many of whom remain stuck for years on H-1Bs waiting in the long queue for permanent residency—worry that the bill is a political maneuver rather than an earnest effort at reform. Aman Kapoor, president of the skilled immigrant advocate group Immigration Voice, says that a more effective bill would ensure H-1B visa workers are on a level playing field with U.S. workers. "Skilled immigrants on H-1Bs don't get the same rights and protections as everyone else," says Kapoor. "So wouldn't the solution be to empower and enable the skilled immigrants on H-1Bs such that…skilled immigrants on H-1s have adequate protections so that no one can take advantage of [them]? But no one wants to talk about protections for skilled immigrants."

Employers don't want H1Bs that flexible ( or want be invisibly bonded. )
in fear of bargaining and jumping the ship.

ilikekilo 05-04-2009 12:52 PM

Many folks suggest that this BIll (when turns into a law) would promote outsourcing..but how does these set of changes being proposed by Odama's admin. would affect outsourcing??

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...tax-havens/?hp

I know it wont "stop" outsourcing in any way but seems like they claim that they are " taking away the tax advantages of companies shipping jobs overseas"...Iam sure its more complicated than that..

However the kind of tone being set by the incumbent these days, I believe reflects the current administrations policies that might trickle to us(documented workers) as well.. not sure..

However this can be also looked at, the adminstartion si trying to "show" that they are doing whatever they can disccourage companies from sending jobs overseas..and then eventually take a stab at CIR..wishful thinking..:D

gauravster 05-04-2009 01:32 PM

Other side of the coin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikekilo (Post 338662)
Many folks suggest that this BIll (when turns into a law) would promote outsourcing..but how does these set of changes being proposed by Odama's admin. would affect outsourcing??

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...tax-havens/?hp

I know it wont "stop" outsourcing in any way but seems like they claim that they are " taking away the tax advantages of companies shipping jobs overseas"...Iam sure its more complicated than that..

However the kind of tone being set by the incumbent these days, I believe reflects the current administrations policies that might trickle to us(documented workers) as well.. not sure..

However this can be also looked at, the adminstartion si trying to "show" that they are doing whatever they can disccourage companies from sending jobs overseas..and then eventually take a stab at CIR..wishful thinking..:D

To read other side of the coin, go to Wall Street Journal. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1241...Tabs%3Darticle

Not sure if it prevents outsourcing or not. It will have a significant impact on all fortune 500 companies incorporated in US. it would encourage companies to be incorporated somewhere else and set up a subsidiary in the US, so that international income is not taxed.

Exposing tax havens is one thing, but taxing income of corporates generated in another country another.

I think a government should only tax GDP produced within its borders and income of people living within the borders. The benefit of being incorporated in the US is usually that of access to capital markets, but in a globalized world even companies incorporated at other places have this access now.

Overall this is a good bill(esp when applied only to individuals), a lot would depend on what gets passed finally. For corporates the high tax rate is very high(35%, deductions bring it down to an average rate of 25%) and while these deductions are removed, the top rate has to come down, something which seems to be missing.

My view is that with regard to taxes, rather than a fix here, a fix there and making taxes more complicated, it would be better to just simplify it as a whole, abolish most, if not all deductions(keep deductions used by most 90% people which are few) and charge a fixed 15-20% of GDP (with some progressivity).

ilikekilo 05-04-2009 11:52 PM

Does any one know about any existing law (that has been passed as part of a bill or whatever) that offers whistleblower protection for non immigrant visa workers (H1b. L1 etc)?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c)ImmigrationVoice.org