Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
qplearn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot
lame duck proves that there was only one guy (sessions) who didnt wanna vote for us and it stalled, but now in the senate whr a majority vote counts how imp wud his vote be?
there is a whole house to take into account now that the LD is over. That is where it was stalled last time. Now there are even some Dems opposed to CIR in it.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cellphone will become famous soon enough
Default new to IV

I am new to IV. I'll do what I can....

Old 12-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgal369
bottom line is CIR is very controversial, will take a very long time to be implemented even if it does pass both houses of Congress, and we should not be aligning ourselves with it.
Better to include our porvisions in other bills, and work with people who have the clout to push it forward.
that is clearly not us on our own.
yup ! with the elections around dont know where that bills gonna be heading (or not heading), our bill has to be separate , and i wud think the tech firms have a bigger clout than we have (read sumwhr they had spent sumthng like $50m on lobbying the SKIL) that whr we sud prbly align?

Old 12-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
bottom line is CIR is very controversial, will take a very long time to be implemented even if it does pass both houses of Congress, and we should not be aligning ourselves with it.
Better to include our porvisions in other bills, and work with people who have the clout to push it forward.
that is clearly not us on our own.
Agree. We should work quickly to find a bill to attach it to in early Jan/ Feb. Perhaps we should approach Cornyn, and make him aware of the new proposal from Matloff. He may have seen it already.

Sounds like a plan

Is anyone else listening?

Last edited by qplearn; 12-12-2006 at 08:05 PM.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Compare
GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold

NumbersUSA and Matloff should be judged by their actions, not by their words. I have not seen anything positive from their work that would benefit us. When they lobby Senate/House to introduce H-1B/GC reform favorable to us, then they can be trusted on that issue alone and may be we can lend our organizational support. So far thier task has been to skuttle EB immigration reform.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Compare
GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellphone
I am new to IV. I'll do what I can....
Welcome. Please join your state chapter and participate in the activities. Contribute funds if you can.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCwaitforever
NumbersUSA and Matloff should be judged by their actions, not by their words. I have not seen anything positive from their work that would benefit us. When they lobby Senate/House to introduce H-1B/GC reform favorable to us, then they can be trusted on that issue alone and may be we can lend our organizational support. So far thier task has been to skuttle EB immigration reform.
Don't know about numbersusa, but Matloff has never said that no immigrant should come here. He has said we should be selective. That is precisely what Canada has done.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dixie will become famous soon enough
Default proceed with caution

I am not being ideological here - just being cautious of the restrictionists' known record of hyprocrisy. Keep in mind - the restrictionists are idealogues, not rational folks given to reason. Judge them by action, not hypocritical words. Tell me one instance where numbersUSA actually tried to reform the H1-B or EB visa - for them reform is a euphemism for ABOLISH. I have been following matloff's articles for a long time now. Please read all of them, and you will notice that the only immigration he supports is the EB-1 variety of truly exceptional ability researchers. He rejects the need for any H1-Bs at all in fields like software development. Its a fallacy to equate that with Canada's point based system. Once we align with them, they will use us, twist our words and spit us out when it suits them.We will also loose the support of organizations like competeamerica and AILA for good. Expect them to fully ignore us from that point on.

qplearn and nycgal, i totally understand your zeal for some action - I am in the same boat after all. If IV as an organization collectively determines that it is in our best interests to selectively side with the enemy, I am all for it. Let the core team decide what is best for us. Let us not take a hasty decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qplearn
Agree. We should work quickly to find a bill to attach it to in early Jan/ Feb. Perhaps we should approach Cornyn, and make him aware of the new proposal from Matloff. He may have seen it already.

Sounds like a plan

Last edited by dixie; 12-12-2006 at 08:21 PM.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice bugmenot is just really nice

dont be blind to numbersusa philosophy they are against immigration and thats thier motto, they using parts of prof matloffs work that suits them and dont necessary subscribe to his entire theory

Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie
And, we will also loose the support of organizations like competeamerica and AILA for good. Expect them to fully ignore is from that point on.

i totally understand the zeal for some action - I am in the same boat after all. If IV as an organization collectively determines that it is in our best interests to selectively side with the devil, I am all for it. Let the core team decide what is best for us.
AILA and competeamerica will not be against a fair reform of the H1B, as long as they see increased numbers. Now, let the core team express its opinion.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of
Default Don't take numbers at face value

If you had watched Session's performance during the great CIR debate, you could have almost sworn this gentleman is all for legal high skilled immigrants.
Then come December LD, we get shafted.

Don't be naive.

Ask a far left activist and you'll never hear the word "communism", ask a far right member and you'll never hear "supremacist". To publicly state a policy denying immigration to high skilled people is tantamount to a public relations suicide - everyone knows Einstein was an immigrant, and that image is not far from the minds of the general populace. Numbers knows this, and therefore are at pains to demonize H1B not as skilled immigrants, but as "low wage workers". Of course they will state they want "skilled immigrants" - everyone does.
If they are so keen on legal immigration and were true to their ideology, they would acknowledge the complexity of the issue and structure their strategies accordingly.
But their actions so far have reeked of undifferentiated xenophobia. Get real guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qplearn
Don't know about numbersusa, but Matloff has never said that no immigrant should come here. He has said we should be selective. That is precisely what Canada has done.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple
If you had watched Session's performance during the great CIR debate, you could have almost sworn this gentleman is all for legal high skilled immigrants.

Don't be naive.

Ask a far left activist and you'll never hear the word "communism", ask a far right member and you'll never hear "supremacist". To publicly state a policy denying immigration to high skilled people is tantamount to a public relations suicide - everyone knows Einstein was an immigrant, and that image is not far from the minds of the general populace. Numbers knows this, and therefore are at pains to demonize H1B not as skilled immigrants, but as "low wage workers". Of course they will state they want "skilled immigrants" - everyone does.
If they are so keen on legal immigration and were true to their ideology, they would acknowledge the complexity of the issue and structure their strategies accordingly.
But their actions so far have reeked of undifferentiated xenophobia. Get real guys...

totally agree wid u on that

Old 12-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple

Don't be naive.

What harm is there in trying? After all Dems (leftists) and Repubs (rightwingers) come together when they want to see their interests served. And we did call Sessions during the LD, remember? If he is that inhuman, what was the point then? I believe and (fervently hope) that he will be fair on this issue.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

its more a question of time and energy, esp when time is a limit here

Old 12-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
if anyone can think of what they can do to screw us even more, play devil's advocate and list it now
This is a good question, and we should seek answers to it so we know where we are headed if things go awry.

Actually, what I am more scared of is seeing an H1B bill pass without EB provisions --- like the last time it was done in Clinton's time. There is an actual precedent for that.