Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
pmamp has a spectacular aura about pmamp has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb Top 10 Myths about (GC/H1B) Legal Immigrants

Hello everyone,

Please review the following points about 'Myths and Facts' about legal immigrants in US. Post your constructive criticism here to make this both interesting and convincing. This is just a start and should be treated as draft. Once this items are finalized I will turn it in video and post on public media sites.
Thanks - AP
=======================================
Top 10 Myths and Facts about Legal Immigrants

10. Legal Immigrants do not pay taxes
Fact: We pay all the taxes as per IRS rules.
There is no tax exemption due to our visa status.
Apart from income and sales tax as per books, many of us contribute to community as volunteers and generous donations to charities.
9. Legal Immigrants do not contribute to Social Security Funds
Fact: We all pay to social security administration each year huge $$$ which won’t be withdrawn by most of us as our employment here is temporary and many visa holder eventually return to their country.
On an avg.* $2000 x 400,000 = $800 million/yr
(* Based on approx salary and total # of H1B visa holders at any given time in US)

8. Legal Immigrants take up US citizens jobs
Fact: Most H1B visas are approved after multiple job advertisements with minimum qualifications for the job so that if any US citizen is qualified with the required skills can apply and compete for the job.

As with any open labor market system employer decides to select the best suitable candidate from the qualified applicants.

7. Hiring H1B employee is cheaper for employer
Fact:Every employer who follows the USCIS guidelines cannot pay less than local market wages for the required skills to any legal immigrant worker.
Additionally, in some cases employer has to pay additional fees to USCIS for visa processing. ($1000 for expedited processing)

6. H1B visa holders are less qualified than American counterparts
Fact: Majority of H1B visa holders have either ‘Masters’, ‘Doctorate’ or higher degrees in their field.
At minimum H1B visa holder must have a ‘Bachelor’ degree.
Additionally, they have multiple years of experience in the desired field.

5. H1B visa is only used in IT industry
Fact: H1B visa is used by all the industries including Medicine, Pharmacy, Science, Manufacturing, Services and not to mention Information Technology.

H1B visa is for high-skilled job (specialty occupation) and cannot be used legally for hiring other employees.
4. H1B employees are cause of outsourcing and layoffs is US industry

Fact: Many of H1B employees work very hard to create new products and services in multiple industries which eventually cause to increase in profits and revenue for company thus adding new jobs here in US and globally.
Fact: Outsourcing helps many US companies to reduce their overhead costs and operating expenses thus increasing net profits and ability to hire new employees here in USA.
In other-words, outsourcing has in effect reduced the number of layoffs seen in US industry.
Fact: Outsourcing is nothing new to US economy. Companies have outsource their work within US (different states) or in neighboring countries (Canada, Mexico…)
Outsourcing is synonymous to ‘finding better value for your money … may be locally or globally’
3. Global economy is not good for US consumers
Fact: Global economies have enabled many US corporations to diversify their business risk by targeting new markets like China, India, Russia, Korea…

They help companies to improve their balance-sheet by selling their products globally. Modern technology has enabled companies to manufacture similar products across the globe at very competitive cost.

For ex: Automotive industry (Ford, GM, Chrysler), Food industry (Subway, Pizza Hut, Domino's, McDonald...), Technology industry (Dell, HP, IBM..) have all major income streams coming from global operations where their profit margins are very attractive.

2. Legal immigrants adds burden to US social infrastructure

Fact: As mentioned earlier, all the legal immigrants pay their income taxes, social security taxes, Medicare taxes and local taxes.
Many of us have investments in the form of real estates and stock market.
We buy cars, goods and services for which we pay the market rates.

Many times we are denied credit cards and mortgage loans due to our temporary visa status. Which cause additional burden on our families.
1. Legal immigrants do not add any value to society
Fact: We are hard working, law abiding residents of this land. We strive to add diversity and color to this society by building relationships and making friends in our community.
We are Global Citizens and are part of this ‘Land of Opportunity’
================================================== ====
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks pmamp for your initiative.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
fairboy is on a distinguished road
Default More food for thought

Hi pmamp,

Thanks for taking the initiative. Here are more points to strengthen our argument. These are just suggestions. The final decision to include these, is yours.

Highly skilled immigrants add value to economy by becoming successful entrepreneurs. According to a study commissioned by the National Venture Capital Association, since 1990, immigrants have founded one out of every four public, venture-capital-backed companies in US. With states of California and Massachusetts taking the lead. Source:http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...tartups15.html

The same study states that 40% of all hi-tech startups are started by immigrant entrepreneurs, bringing more than $500Bn in market capitalization. Source:http://www.metrics2.com/blog/2006/11...ntreprene.html

Old 12-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/09/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2008
Compare
truthinspector is a splendid one to behold truthinspector is a splendid one to behold truthinspector is a splendid one to behold truthinspector is a splendid one to behold truthinspector is a splendid one to behold truthinspector is a splendid one to behold truthinspector is a splendid one to behold
Arrow everything is right except......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmamp
Hello everyone,
Fact: We are hard working, law abiding residents of this land. We strive to add diversity and color to this society by building relationships and making friends in our community.
I truly wonder what percentage of population understands the real notion of value in this nation any more.If you bring drugs,some hip hop music, crazy fashion trends or similar so called 'cool' things, you would be appreciated.Who wants education and family values????

Ever heard anyone complaining about Irish flags or little towns being named Little Italy in this country?Never, because they bring cool wild things. But wave any other flag or bring anything else truly valuable , you will be criticized or looked down upon.The real reason is racial prejudice and protectionism.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Priority Date
:
May-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2007
Compare
GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold GCwaitforever is a splendid one to behold

Sent a PM on proof reading.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
pmamp has a spectacular aura about pmamp has a spectacular aura about
Default Thanks

Sure, that article looks relevant to the topic.

Again, this is not my baby... I just want everyone's views/opinions taken into account before finalizing. So, go ahead be creative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairboy
Hi pmamp,

Thanks for taking the initiative. Here are more points to strengthen our argument. These are just suggestions. The final decision to include these, is yours.

Highly skilled immigrants add value to economy by becoming successful entrepreneurs. According to a study commissioned by the National Venture Capital Association, since 1990, immigrants have founded one out of every four public, venture-capital-backed companies in US. With states of California and Massachusetts taking the lead. Source:http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...tartups15.html

The same study states that 40% of all hi-tech startups are started by immigrant entrepreneurs, bringing more than $500Bn in market capitalization. Source:http://www.metrics2.com/blog/2006/11...ntreprene.html

Old 12-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/11/1999
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/11/1999
Compare
zCool has much to be proud of zCool has much to be proud of zCool has much to be proud of zCool has much to be proud of zCool has much to be proud of zCool has much to be proud of zCool has much to be proud of zCool has much to be proud of

Fictional response from Anti-immigrant types below.. I think some of the statements would light a fire in the mind of red-blooded (and necked) americans since they are easy to be mis-construed and can be used for propoganda.. Remember these are the people who took simple statement from a presidential candidate explaining his vote and turned a war-hero into flip-flopping coward.. you can't be too careful with your choice of words and phrases.
Again no malice intended.. It's friday before Chrismas and I have some time on my hands so trying to help out the cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmamp
Hello everyone,

Please review the following points about 'Myths and Facts' about legal immigrants in US. Post your constructive criticism here to make this both interesting and convincing. This is just a start and should be treated as draft. Once this items are finalized I will turn it in video and post on public media sites.
Thanks - AP
=======================================
Top 10 Myths and Facts about Legal Immigrants

10. Legal Immigrants do not pay taxes
Fact: We pay all the taxes as per IRS rules.
There is no tax exemption due to our visa status.
Apart from income and sales tax as per books, many of us contribute to community as volunteers and generous donations to charities.
1. Whoever said Legal immigrants don't pay taxes? So you want special tax rebates for H1B? is that what you are lobbying for?

9. Legal Immigrants do not contribute to Social Security Funds
Fact: We all pay to social security administration each year huge $$$ which won’t be withdrawn by most of us as our employment here is temporary and many visa holder eventually return to their country.
On an avg.* $2000 x 400,000 = $800 million/yr
(* Based on approx salary and total # of H1B visa holders at any given time in US)
Ya.. right .. lies.. damn lies .. and statistics..we have only your word for this..

8. Legal Immigrants take up US citizens jobs
Fact: Most H1B visas are approved after multiple job advertisements with minimum qualifications for the job so that if any US citizen is qualified with the required skills can apply and compete for the job.

As with any open labor market system employer decides to select the best suitable candidate from the qualified applicants.
So is that's ALL there is to US middle class??? they are just the resources to be sold in global market? we should be competing against all the naked, towelheads that live in shitty slums without health insurance (or the toilet paper for that matter?) americans Don't want this Global market!

7. Hiring H1B employee is cheaper for employer
Fact:Every employer who follows the USCIS guidelines cannot pay less than local market wages for the required skills to any legal immigrant worker.
Additionally, in some cases employer has to pay additional fees to USCIS for visa processing. ($1000 for expedited processing)
SO IN SOME CASES employer *DOESN'T* pay any fees.. ? and you can get faster entry in USA after paying merely 1000 dollars.. So why are you complaining... I knew US laws were too lax and open..

6. H1B visa holders are less qualified than American counterparts
Fact: Majority of H1B visa holders have either ‘Masters’, ‘Doctorate’ or higher degrees in their field.
At minimum H1B visa holder must have a ‘Bachelor’ degree.
Additionally, they have multiple years of experience in the desired field.
Are you trying to lobby for increased H1B quota..? coz that is not going to happen in USA anymore! God Bless America..!

5. H1B visa is only used in IT industry
Fact: H1B visa is used by all the industries including Medicine, Pharmacy, Science, Manufacturing, Services and not to mention Information Technology.

H1B visa is for high-skilled job (specialty occupation) and cannot be used legally for hiring other employees.
4. H1B employees are cause of outsourcing and layoffs is US industry

Fact: Many of H1B employees work very hard to create new products and services in multiple industries which eventually cause to increase in profits and revenue for company thus adding new jobs here in US and globally.
Fact: Outsourcing helps many US companies to reduce their overhead costs and operating expenses thus increasing net profits and ability to hire new employees here in USA.
In other-words, outsourcing has in effect reduced the number of layoffs seen in US industry.
This is a lie! Show us the statistics!!
Fact: Outsourcing is nothing new to US economy. Companies have outsource their work within US (different states) or in neighboring countries (Canada, Mexico…)
Outsourcing is synonymous to ‘finding better value for your money … may be locally or globally’
Again.. better value for whose money?? Americans have first and last rights to any jobs PERIOD. I hate word OUTSOURCING! OUTSOURCE THIS YOU A*#$(#$!!
3. Global economy is not good for US consumers
Fact: Global economies have enabled many US corporations to diversify their business risk by targeting new markets like China, India, Russia, Korea…

They help companies to improve their balance-sheet by selling their products globally. Modern technology has enabled companies to manufacture similar products across the globe at very competitive cost.

For ex: Automotive industry (Ford, GM, Chrysler), Food industry (Subway, Pizza Hut, Domino's, McDonald...), Technology industry (Dell, HP, IBM..) have all major income streams coming from global operations where their profit margins are very attractive.

2. Legal immigrants adds burden to US social infrastructure

Fact: As mentioned earlier, all the legal immigrants pay their income taxes, social security taxes, Medicare taxes and local taxes.
Many of us have investments in the form of real estates and stock market.
We buy cars, goods and services for which we pay the market rates.

Many times we are denied credit cards and mortgage loans due to our temporary visa status. Which cause additional burden on our families.
Boo-hoo.. You have trouble getting credit cards ??? BIG deal.. didn't you know when they give you the visa that it is "TEMPERORY" ?? what part of not permanant don't you understand?? Unless you have some stories of kids getting ripped apart from families .. or people getting exploited .. do not complain about small inconvieniences of living in a land where you are "alien"
Give me better sob stories..!

This "Land of Opportunity" is my country...
We had plenty of diversity and color without H1B visas for 200 years! This is exactly type of race-baiting you H1Bs are indulging in.. Global citizens my ass!

Old 12-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you tell clear facts no body is listen to you

If you are planning on putting youtube type video ....If you tell clear facts nobody is going to listen to you. create a fictional character like borat satire like comedy ..so people think you are actually offending people but in reality you trying to tell your message. We need clever script writing i am pretty sure we put our heads together can create some reasonable good youtube viral video...

Thats my 2 cents ...

By the way check out this youtube video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RIH1I1doUI4 (this is youtube director section)

Old 12-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
asanghi is a jewel in the rough asanghi is a jewel in the rough asanghi is a jewel in the rough asanghi is a jewel in the rough
Default Very nice work

This list is really nice initiative. We do need something like this to counter the misinformation spread by numbersusa.

I think we should be very accurate on all the facts so as to not give them a chance to use it negatively.

I don't think we can claim that most of H1-Bs are masters & doctorates. I think that most of H1-Bs are in fact bachelors, so we may want to change the language there slightly.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/28/2007
Compare
asanghi is a jewel in the rough asanghi is a jewel in the rough asanghi is a jewel in the rough asanghi is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoni
If you are planning on putting youtube type video ....If you tell clear facts nobody is going to listen to you. create a fictional character like borat satire like comedy ..so people think you are actually offending people but in reality you trying to tell your message. We need clever script writing i am pretty sure we put our heads together can create some reasonable good youtube viral video...

Thats my 2 cents ...

By the way check out this youtube video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RIH1I1doUI4 (this is youtube director section)
Man check out the comments. I am blown away by the racist comments left by many. Indeed racism is not a closed chapter in US yet. If anything, people feel comfortable enough to show it on internet due to anonymity factor.
The kid is brilliant though.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
waitnwatch is a splendid one to behold waitnwatch is a splendid one to behold waitnwatch is a splendid one to behold waitnwatch is a splendid one to behold waitnwatch is a splendid one to behold waitnwatch is a splendid one to behold waitnwatch is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by asanghi
Man check out the comments. I am blown away by the racist comments left by many. Indeed racism is not a closed chapter in US yet. If anything, people feel comfortable enough to show it on internet due to anonymity factor.
The kid is brilliant though.
And to add to racism here is an article on CNN which shows how racist even a current lawmaker is ......

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/...ess/index.html

Old 12-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute bmoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default me too ...

Me too seriously i really don't know whats wrong with these people ..he is just a kid ...Racism is still here in america ....can you imagine what kinda of comments we receive if we post youtube video on TOP 10 Myths about Legal Immigrants ...

Old 12-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ibaig is on a distinguished road

I think this is a brilliant idea, and really, I think there is a *great* need right now for a website whose sole purpose is to inform American society about the positives of Employment Based Immigration. Here are my comments on the top ten myths:

1. I think the title encompasses all legal immigrants which is not what we are about. We should seperate ourselves from other legal immigrants who come in based on family relations, marriage, asylum, etc. How about "Top Ten Myths about Employment Based Legal Immigrants"?

2. Provide a link under each myth which details the facts by stating hard statistics and sources to support the facts. I think there is a seperate task here to create one-pagers supporting the rebuff for each myth. Perhaps IV members can each take one point and collaborate to produce the one-page support documents? I'll volunteer to take one myself. I think it is too early to pass comment on each myth since have not had a chance to produce the supporting documentation.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2007
Compare
pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of
Default Put This in from page...

Add more myths and please out it on front page..Papu

Old 12-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
brb2 will become famous soon enough brb2 will become famous soon enough

Good job pmamp.

I would suggest you check out the social security tax part as it applies to non-immigrant workers. I sign off on the employment form for F1 employees at my work place. I receive a set of instructions for those from different countries such as Thailand, India etc as a result of different tax treaties. I don't know if this applies to the H1B visa non-immigrants as well. I know that a few years ago, the Indian government was negotiating with the US administration for sending the social security tax to them for use. There are special tax treaties that apply. I have not researched this, but it would be prudent to study this aspect before publishing your work.
good luck.