Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immigration and slavery

I did a Google search on immigration and slavery and it returned this site:

Fight Slavery Now!

They even talk to the abuses against H-1B workers.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dts has a reputation beyond repute dts has a reputation beyond repute dts has a reputation beyond repute dts has a reputation beyond repute dts has a reputation beyond repute dts has a reputation beyond repute dts has a reputation beyond repute dts has a reputation beyond repute dts has a reputation beyond repute dts has a reputation beyond repute dts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Let's not criticise any member too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amulchandra View Post
Parna. Calm down. I have been in your shoes 5 years back and I understand how frustrating it will be to sit at home just because of lack of work status. But let me tell you that how IV works is little different from other organizations. Please note that I also donated money. I believe that they are doing their best and cannot reveal anything now on an open website.
Just think like this. No one ever knew there existed a bill called HR 3012 until IV announced it and it passed in the house. But there was months of efforts to reach that stage. They did not give updates then and I do not believe they will give any updates now unless something really concrete is going to materialize in the senate. Patience please and we have time till the end of the year. Put yourself in the shoes of the people from IV working behind the scenes and have to put up with all this lack of trust. They need encouragement and support too.
Yes, Agree. friends. Be patient. Also if someone asked status or commented out of frustration, please do not let them down here or too much criticize.
Its ok. We can not affrod fight at this moment. Keep momentum and enthusiasm up.
I am sure H.R.3012 is up and definitely come out with positive result.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi_II View Post
I did a Google search on immigration and slavery and it returned this site:

Fight Slavery Now!

They even talk to the abuses against H-1B workers.
I'm on H1B but I'm not a slave. There are protections built into the law. Its your fault if you don't want to find out the law and ways to protect yourself.

H1B is not slavery. If you are on H1 and you feel like being mistreated, you have the option to leave. Slaves can't leave or go anywhere.

Anti-immigrants use this rhetoric to paint everyone with the same color. Like any other system, there are laws on the books to protect everyone, including those on H1. There is no perfect system. Its possible that a small percentage of people on H1 are exploited/taken advantage of. Two things:
(1.) Exploited/taken advantage doesn't amounts to slavery.
(2.) You and I probably don't have any idea what is slavery like.

Anti-immigrants use this argument that just because there are a few bad apples (employers) in the system and a few people do get exploited, so the system is all screwed up and the only way to clean-up is to deport all immigrants, legal and illegal, to wipe out and have a clean slate. Using these extreme examples, anti-immigrants argue for abolishing H1,L1,Eb1,Eb2 & Eb3.

Personally, I find it funny when someone creates a petition to attack a category or a practice saying Eb1c, or, Eb3 to Eb2 porting, or, abolish Eb3 category etc. Anti-immigrants have a field day with such petitions/ideas because they use these one-off petitions to argue abolishing every/all types of immigrants.

So when you compare H1 to slavery, you are feeding into the agenda of anti-immigrants, and not your agenda, unless you are an anti-immigrant, which is possible. If you are anti-immigrant then let me tell you that there are already laws on the books to protect all types of immigrants including H1, L1, legal and illegal immigrants against slavery. If you are implying that I'm a slave because I'm on H1, then it is totally untrue.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dts View Post
Yes, Agree. friends. Be patient. Also if someone asked status or commented out of frustration, please do not let them down here or too much criticize.
Its ok. We can not affrod fight at this moment. Keep momentum and enthusiasm up.
I am sure H.R.3012 is up and definitely come out with positive result.
Exactly. We cannot afford to fight. So the real question is, what is the intention of the person asking questions. We can all read between the lines. If the intention of asking questions is to cause disruption or to make a group look bad or throw water over the effort, I would suggest ignoring and not answering.

Its not difficult to make out if someone is making a genuine effort to ask questions or if someone is pouring cold water.

Because we cannot afford to fight, just ignore or ban user wanting to cause disruption. I am ok with that.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
chandubaba is a splendid one to behold chandubaba is a splendid one to behold chandubaba is a splendid one to behold chandubaba is a splendid one to behold chandubaba is a splendid one to behold chandubaba is a splendid one to behold chandubaba is a splendid one to behold
Talking issue of immigration

One USA voice to all

Immigration - Residential POV - YouTube!

Fix it.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute Gandhi_II has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhair View Post
I'm on H1B but I'm not a slave. There are protections built into the law. Its your fault if you don't want to find out the law and ways to protect yourself.
Perhaps you can help me understand how I can get out of my predicament, friend. I feel that I have grown professionally with my current employer and want to move on because there are no more growth opportunities here. But I am not current and with this retrogression, will not be for a long time. I am stuck with this employer. Because I am in the "process", I am also less likely to receive a pay raise anytime soon. Pretty close to slavery don't you think? Yes, we can leave, but if we leave the employer, we have to leave the country. Easier said than done for someone who has been in this country since 1997 and built a network of friends and professional connections here. I, like many of you, consider this country home, but do not have the freedom of working where I want to work, living where I want to live, and earning what I am capable of earning.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Priority Date
:
May-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute

I can feel the pain. Even though we are at liberty to leave the employer and do whatever we want with our lives, in practice it is easier said than done.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute

The law is designed that way; it reducing employees job mobility.
A simple fix of separating the H1B and employer but still requiring employer to prove that they couldn't find a suitable citizen/permanent resident would go a long way in improving the situation. Also if an individual is here in country working for six years with consistently above the minimum salary should mean something and should be part of GC process. In other words GC process should tied to employee and not to employer.

my 2 cents.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:37 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC_wait_weary View Post
The law is designed that way; it reducing employees job mobility.
A simple fix of separating the H1B and employer but still requiring employer to prove that they couldn't find a suitable citizen/permanent resident would go a long way in improving the situation. Also if an individual is here in country working for six years with consistently above the minimum salary should mean something and should be part of GC process. In other words GC process should tied to employee and not to employer.

my 2 cents.
simple fix?????? really..... then y did u not change it already if it is so simple?

like the rest of us..... u just want the law to change so that it will benefit your individual situation..... let me make a guess..... u've been on visa for over 6 years......

y do we all keep suggesting a specific change that will exactly fit into a specific situation..... more than half of all immigration forms are full of such narrow minded ideas, which fits into individual situation....

who will agree with your new bar of "minimum salary for 6 years"? and who will agree with your idea of "gc process should tied to employee and not to employer"? will any member of congress agree with you? did you already speak with anyone?

if others cannot or will not agree with it then its not an idea..... its just waste of space...... it is not as simple as it sounds.....

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute GC_wait_weary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhira View Post
simple fix?????? really..... then y did u not change it already if it is so simple?

like the rest of us..... u just want the law to change so that it will benefit your individual situation..... let me make a guess..... u've been on visa for over 6 years......

y do we all keep suggesting a specific change that will exactly fit into a specific situation..... more than half of all immigration forms are full of such narrow minded ideas, which fits into individual situation....

who will agree with your new bar of "minimum salary for 6 years"? and who will agree with your idea of "gc process should tied to employee and not to employer"? will any member of congress agree with you? did you already speak with anyone?

if others cannot or will not agree with it then its not an idea..... its just waste of space...... it is not as simple as it sounds.....
You are mixing up two different things.... "Fix" and "legislative process" I was describing the Fix and not legislative process. There is nothing simple when majority of one group of 435 people and 100 % of another 100 group of people have to agree and not to mention signature of another super powerful man.
The "fix" I described is just not for a specific situation. Almost 100% of the beneficiaries of H1B visa (including those who don't aspire to apply for GC and those who aspire to apply for GC) would agree with such a fix. Many of employee abuse can be traced back to the fact the employee is tied to an employer. And the govt is partly responsible for delay and in my opinion an accomplice to certain degree. Now H.R 3012 would be in the direction of reducing the delay and hence the abuse and not to mention fairness in the unfair employment immigration system. Now if you look at HR 3012 it actually simplifies the law and its implementation; however the legislative process has not been simple by any stretch of imagination.

Anyways lets not get side tracked by discussion that is not going to get us anywhere. Lets bring the focus back to HR3012.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Priority Date
:
May-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute bibliophile2020 has a reputation beyond repute

Done AI!
Let's keep buggin the senators even in recess!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gchopes2012 is a splendid one to behold gchopes2012 is a splendid one to behold gchopes2012 is a splendid one to behold gchopes2012 is a splendid one to behold gchopes2012 is a splendid one to behold gchopes2012 is a splendid one to behold gchopes2012 is a splendid one to behold gchopes2012 is a splendid one to behold
Default Hmm ...no wonder why its quite lately

totally agree, moment some one asks for update , they are being pondered , why are we concluding that every member who asks for updates is anti or from row group
Its just sometimes curiosity and as few months as passed and may be more people who were not aware of IV are visiting and trying to get updates
why can not people who are in for HR 3012 ask for updates
while anti group are growing numbers, we are driving away people by jumping at them and concluding that they anti's ,moment any questions or updates are posed
we never now even the newbie may be of great help , just like though we have fight for Independence from Britishers was going before Gandhi arrived , it was Gandhi was brought us independence though joined in between , its the fact whether we agree or support it or not
Its really news to me that even senior forum members do reply back negatively .....
no wonder why its being quite lately
Simple approach could be not answer or ignore rather than driving away , what if its happens to be pro HR 3012 ,we not only lose a member , but also circle it can bring in

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliophile2020 View Post
Common give her a break! Why are you guys chastising her for asking some updates? Comments like this will demoralise the members and turn them away from the mission. If you are so concerned you can send her a private message.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Completely Agree!

Coulldnt agree more!
Every body has a right to ask questions. Its upon IV core whether they want to answer it or not.
The people who reply negatively should mind their own business and let Admin / core handle it!
We dont need another forum!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchopes2012 View Post
totally agree, moment some one asks for update , they are being pondered , why are we concluding that every member who asks for updates is anti or from row group
Its just sometimes curiosity and as few months as passed and may be more people who were not aware of IV are visiting and trying to get updates
why can not people who are in for HR 3012 ask for updates
while anti group are growing numbers, we are driving away people by jumping at them and concluding that they anti's ,moment any questions or updates are posed
we never now even the newbie may be of great help , just like though we have fight for Independence from Britishers was going before Gandhi arrived , it was Gandhi was brought us independence though joined in between , its the fact whether we agree or support it or not
Its really news to me that even senior forum members do reply back negatively .....
no wonder why its being quite lately
Simple approach could be not answer or ignore rather than driving away , what if its happens to be pro HR 3012 ,we not only lose a member , but also circle it can bring in

Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Priority Date
:
May-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Let's hope for an update like this

THIS IS THE UPDATE FROM IV WHEN HR 3012 CAME FOR VOTE IN THE HOUSE
I've received call from Aman this evening and I would like to share an update on H.R. 3012. He has received this update in DC just this evening.We are very pleased to share that as a result of years of your work and active participation for creating awareness on the Capitol Hill our bill H.R. 3012 is scheduled for a vote in the House at around 6:30pm on Tuesday 29th November. As a testimony of your sincere work over the years, we are expecting over 90% or more votes in favor of H.R. 3012. After that it will be taken up in the Senate in December.
This will bring us one more step closer to making H.R. 3012 the law of the land, the law that ends the per-country discrimination in high-skills immigration.

UNTILL THEN, LET'S KEEP THE HOPE. HOPE IS THE ONLY THING THAT'S STRONGER THAN FEAR. IV IS THE ONLY ORGANIZATION/ ENTITY THAT REPRESENTS HIGHLY SKILLED LEGAL IMMIGRANTS. THIS IS OUR BEST BET. LET'S HAVE NO DOUBTS ABOUT IT.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare
lp2007 will become famous soon enough lp2007 will become famous soon enough
Default Cheer up fellow HR3012 hopefuls!!

YouTube - I'm Just a Bill

Hope our bill will be law soon.