Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tracka is infamous around these parts tracka is infamous around these parts tracka is infamous around these parts tracka is infamous around these parts tracka is infamous around these parts tracka is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBlue View Post
High-Skilled Immigration Restrictions Are Economically Senseless
+ Comment now

Employer discrimination based on national origin has been illegal in the United States since the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, yet American immigration law has continued to discriminate in that exact manner. If the government insists on restricting foreign workers’ access to U.S. markets, it should do so on the basis of merit, not nationality. Last week, Senators Chuck Grassley (R-IA) and Charles Schumer (D-NY) took an important step toward that goal, but it is a flawed one.

H1-B Visa Quotas Greatly Restrain Small Business Expansion
Capital Flows
Contributor
The Senators struck a deal to allow the Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act (H.R. 3012) to move forward in the Senate. The bill would allocate employment-based green cards irrespective of national origin by eliminating country-specific limitations. Current law limits any particular country to 7 percent of the 140,000 employment-based green cards issued each year. This has resulted in extremely long waiting periods for workers from large countries like India and China that often extend for years, and even decades.

This discrimination is economically senseless and unjust, and Congress has finally realized it. Unfortunately, Sen. Grassley, who had placed a “hold” on the bill, decided to allow it to move forward not for noble reasons, but rather because Sen. Schumer, Chairman of the Immigration Subcommittee, signed on to an “agreement to include provisions that give greater authority to program overseers to investigate visa fraud and abuse.” This would expand the Department of Labor’s (DOL) powers to harass businesses that employ highly skilled immigrants.

Grassley’s amendments would give DOL “overseers” broad discretion to delay and audit applications for H-1B visas for temporary highly skilled workers. Current law allows the DOL to audit applications, which are submitted by employers, only after a visa has been issued and a complaint alleging visa fraud has been filed. The Grassley amendments’ overly broad and vague language would allow DOL officials to delay and block valid visa applications that would currently gain approval. All they would need is to allege “clear indicators of fraud or misrepresentation of material fact.”

Since the legislation provides no guidance on what these “indicators” should be, Labor officials would essentially have free rein to hold up any application at their discretion. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) already considers being a small business—defined as having “less than 25 employees” or a “gross annual income less than $10 million”—as basis to suspect fraud, a conclusion based on the fact that large employers can afford better labor consultants to assure fewer mistakes on applications. Employers would also have no right to challenge such spurious audits in court.

Delays like these cost both money and time. This includes time needed to fill out an application, which by delaying applications past the deadline could turn this audit power into a de facto rejection power. That is especially likely as the 60-day limit for complaint-driven audits would not apply to these new investigations. On top of these, the Grassley amendments authorize annual compliance audits for any H-1B employer without any indication of fraud.

CIS administrative procedures already place considerable burdens on businesses, most notably through a huge increase in the number of “Requests for Evidence” on visa applications. These can delay applications for months. From 2008 to 2011, Requests for Evidence for high skilled visas—L-1B, H-1B, and O-1As—increased by 24 percent, 8 percent, and 14 percent, respectively. In the same period, H-1B rejections have increased from 11 percent in 2007 to between 17 and 29 percent under President Obama.

“We must bow to the genius of all, whatever group of mankind they may represent,” wrote Anthropologist Franz Boas a century ago, “as all have worked together in the development of the civilizations.” Boas was defending non-Western European immigrants against racist arguments for their exclusion. While he lost his fight in 1924, Congress now seems ready to end such discrimination, but it should focus on that goal, not on more regulation, so America can finally have an immigration law that acknowledges “the genius of all, whatever group of mankind they may represent.”

David Bier is an immigration policy analyst at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a free-market think tank in Washington, D.C.

High-Skilled Immigration Restrictions Are Economically Senseless - Forbes

Should we send out the grassley ammendment faq to this author ?
Guys, Getting nervous as the legislative days pass by, Any update on whether it will be taken up by senate?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracka View Post
Guys, Getting nervous as the legislative days pass by, Any update on whether it will be taken up by senate?
Please confirm having done action item #1 and #2. #1 should have been done in the last 12 days. If you have not signed up for recurring contribution, please do so urgently. It is super critical for our efforts to invest our resources in getting the bill passed. We spend thousands in fees and renewals and compared to that, $25/month is a very small amount each month for the kind of benefit each one of us will get if the bill is passed. Action #2 needs to be religiously done everyday. It only Takes 30 seconds.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Old 07-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/21/2011
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
john-mac has a reputation beyond repute john-mac has a reputation beyond repute john-mac has a reputation beyond repute john-mac has a reputation beyond repute john-mac has a reputation beyond repute john-mac has a reputation beyond repute john-mac has a reputation beyond repute john-mac has a reputation beyond repute john-mac has a reputation beyond repute john-mac has a reputation beyond repute john-mac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Go IV

Contribution $25.00 USD for each month, for 6 installments

Old 07-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
amulchandra has a reputation beyond repute amulchandra has a reputation beyond repute amulchandra has a reputation beyond repute amulchandra has a reputation beyond repute amulchandra has a reputation beyond repute amulchandra has a reputation beyond repute amulchandra has a reputation beyond repute amulchandra has a reputation beyond repute amulchandra has a reputation beyond repute amulchandra has a reputation beyond repute amulchandra has a reputation beyond repute

Done AI

Old 07-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
prabcpa has a reputation beyond repute prabcpa has a reputation beyond repute prabcpa has a reputation beyond repute prabcpa has a reputation beyond repute prabcpa has a reputation beyond repute prabcpa has a reputation beyond repute prabcpa has a reputation beyond repute prabcpa has a reputation beyond repute prabcpa has a reputation beyond repute prabcpa has a reputation beyond repute prabcpa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
Please confirm having done action item #1 and #2. #1 should have been done in the last 12 days. If you have not signed up for recurring contribution, please do so urgently. It is super critical for our efforts to invest our resources in getting the bill passed. We spend thousands in fees and renewals and compared to that, $25/month is a very small amount each month for the kind of benefit each one of us will get if the bill is passed. Action #2 needs to be religiously done everyday. It only Takes 30 seconds.
Do we need to follow acition item, even when we receive the response from Senetors.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute

Yes do this everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabcpa View Post
Do we need to follow acition item, even when we receive the response from Senetors.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future

If you work or worked, have contacts in any of the companies below contact the govt-affairs/ HR/Manager to support spurring the economy and innovation and stop the H1B fraud and bring fairness to the system By supporting HR3012

Source : http://www.opensecrets.org/politicia...&type=I&newmem =N

Aetna Inc
Amazon.com
American Assn/Oral & Maxillofacial Surg
American Health Care Assn
American Hospital Assn
American Optometric Assn
American Physical Therapy Assn
American Podiatric Medical Assn
American Seniors Housing Assn
AmericanExpress
Amgen Inc
AMR Corp
AT&T Inc
AutoZone Inc
Baker Botts LLP
Baker, Donelson et al
Bass Brothers Enterprises
Bergman, Draper & Frockt
Berkshire Hathaway
Blackstone Group
Blank Rome LLP
Blue Cross/Blue Shield
Blue Cross/Blue Shield
Bluegrass Cmte
Boeing Co
Bracewell & Giuliani
Cardinal Health
Carnival Corp
CC Media Holdings
Centex Corp
Citigroup Inc
CME Group
Community Health Systems
Contran Corp
Cooper Industries
Corboy & Demetrio
Corrections Corp of America
Covington & Burling
CSX Corp
Denny Miller Assoc
Eastman Chemical
EMILY's List
Exxon Mobil
Federation of American Hospitals
FedEx Corp
FinancialServices Roundtable
GlaxoSmithKline
Google Inc
Haynes & Boone
HBK Capital Management
Hercules Holding
HJ Heinz Co
Ingram Industries
Jones Management Services
JPMorgan Chase & Co
K&L Gates
Kasowitz, Benson et al
Kirkland & Ellis
KKR & Co
L&F Distributors
League of Conservation Voters
Leon Medical Centers
Life Technologies Corp
LifePoint Hospitals
Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell LLP
Lockheed Martin
MacAndrews & Forbes
Mach Industrial Group
Madison Dearborn Partners
Major League Baseball Commissioner's Ofc
Marwood Group
Mayer Brown LLP
McBee Strategic Consulting
McKesson Corp
McKool Smith PC
McKool SmithPC
Mednax Inc
Metlife Inc
Microsoft Corp
Microsoft Corp
Motorola Solutions
Moveon.org
National Assn of Home Builders
National Assn of Realtors
New York Life Insurance
NextEra Energy
Northwestern Mutual
O'Melveny & Myers
Paul, Weiss et al
Perkins Coie
Physician Hospitals of America
Pilot Corp
Praxair Inc
Property Casualty Insurers Assn/America
Psychiatric Solutions
Puget Holding Co
Raytheon Co
Regions Financial
Renco Group
Renew America PAC
Second Avenue Partners
Sidley Austin LLP
Silver Eagle Distributors
Simmons Cooper LLC
Southeast Financial Group
State of Illinois
State of Tennessee
State of Texas
State of Washington
Strategies 360
Tacala LLC
Taco Bell
TACO PAC
Thornton & Naumes
UBS AG
United Continental Holdings
University of Chicago
University of Washington
US Oncology
USAA
UST Inc
Valero Energy
Vanderbilt University
Vanguard Health Systems
Verizon Communications
Vern Clark & Assoc
Waller, Lansden et al
Wells Real EstateFunds
Weyerhaeuser Co
William Blair & Co
Williams & Jensen
Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of America
Winston & Strawn
Zachry Construction

Old 07-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future
Default Time is now to UNITE and work together

If you (including attorney's/lawyer's) are a looking for perfection. There isnt anything that is perfect.

Together we can make it to better

put your country , EB category and own interests aside and rise above , for IV's mission is broad and first goal is to remove discriminatory country caps. Join IV now and make IV strong political force to work on your future issues for there is no other organisation which will support you in fighting your future issues.

If you are not supporting IV now or not supporting HR3012 now , you are not supporting your own future supporter.

http://immigrationvoice.org/index.ph...d=26&Itemid=44

http://immigrationvoice.capwiz.com/i...ertid=61557191

Old 07-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reaching out to the Indian community in your neighbourhood.

So, I finally did the Desi Community OutReach at the local adjacent Park on 17th July in Dallas, Texas. Though it is called Jefferson Park, in the Desi community it is referred to as "Gandhi" Park.
Am sharing this info so that all of us can do this in your local park if you do have a large Indian community out there or in your home if you can gather 20 people.

I just gathered people and said that I was going to talk about the long wait for Green Card and if you are born in India, you are pretty much hosed. I did not use the word screwed. I explained the numbers, waiting time, the quota and why the current system is discriminatory.

=> The number of people that actively listened was about 40.
=> Number of fliers distributed 320 (four times 80).
=> Number of people out there in the park must have been about 150 including many Seniors on tourist visa ( When I see someone's parents in Jefferson Park, most likely, it must be time for baby due :-) )

Things done:
1) Had four fliers and I am glad I chose different colored paper for each. It cose only one cent extra per copy to choose Yellow and Orange papers but it made tons of a difeerence while distributing. It was so easy to see the colors.
2) Had three other friends come to the park to help distribute the flier
3) Did not make a whole set of four fliers. Instead asked my friends to go and distribute each one seprately so that we get more interaction with the public.

Tips:
Please try to have some microphone and loudspeaker.
If the park has wind blowing, then it will be hard to remain audible
Have some DC attendees of your city to help you out.
I had smaller group conversations after my main speech.

This was an attempt to reach out to the grass root level. Please do the same in your city.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:45 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmbharmal View Post
So, I finally did the Desi Community OutReach at the local adjacent Park on 17th July in Dallas, Texas. Though it is called Jefferson Park, in the Desi community it is referred to as "Gandhi" Park.
Am sharing this info so that all of us can do this in your local park if you do have a large Indian community out there or in your home if you can gather 20 people.

I just gathered people and said that I was going to talk about the long wait for Green Card and if you are born in India, you are pretty much hosed. I did not use the word screwed. I explained the numbers, waiting time, the quota and why the current system is discriminatory.

=> The number of people that actively listened was about 40.
=> Number of fliers distributed 320 (four times 80).
=> Number of people out there in the park must have been about 150 including many Seniors on tourist visa ( When I see someone's parents in Jefferson Park, most likely, it must be time for baby due :-) )

Things done:
1) Had four fliers and I am glad I chose different colored paper for each. It cose only one cent extra per copy to choose Yellow and Orange papers but it made tons of a difeerence while distributing. It was so easy to see the colors.
2) Had three other friends come to the park to help distribute the flier
3) Did not make a whole set of four fliers. Instead asked my friends to go and distribute each one seprately so that we get more interaction with the public.

Tips:
Please try to have some microphone and loudspeaker.
If the park has wind blowing, then it will be hard to remain audible
Have some DC attendees of your city to help you out.
I had smaller group conversations after my main speech.

This was an attempt to reach out to the grass root level. Please do the same in your city.
Thank you very much for your efforts. With more people taking initiatives like yourself, the is no doubt in my mind that this bill will pass.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute Suva has a reputation beyond repute
Default America’s irrational immigration fear

Good article by Vivek Wadhwa

Fear, anger and America’s real immigration problem - The Washington Post

Old 08-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default start here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_pathuri View Post
We all know that money talks. If anybody feels that not enough is being done and want to contribute, I have an idea. We can check up the donor's list for both Obama and Romney and see if your company or any of your friend's company is in the list. I know it is not easy, but then we can try to contact our company representitives and talk to them to send a letter to Obama, Romney etc. in support of HR3012. We can try the same thing with Senator Grassley as well. If anybody is working in WellsFargo or Blue Cross blue shield, they can try to figure out whom to contact and ask a letter/e-mail in support of HR 3012.

I don't think this will harm our cause in any way, and we only need to put some more effort towards getting such a letter/e-mail and can benefit the cause greatly.

Obama's top contributors:
Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets

Romney's top contributors:
Top Contributors to Mitt Romney | OpenSecrets

Presidential candidate finance's can be found under:
Presidential Campaign Finance

We can actually export the data and process it. Also the data is searchable.
figure out the companies that support your senator and ask that company's HR/govt affairs dept to write a letter in support of HR3012.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute

Let us dig all those people on the thread who used to complain nothing is happening. Those folks have now suddenly disappeared. Let us ask them if they are coming to the rally. Someone will check if they RSVPed.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennId View Post
It may be good idea to start a Flower Campaign for Pres and all three key senators.
Are you coming for the rally?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by shining View Post
It was supposed to be the best new years gift
then some one said it will be best valentine's day gift
and then it will be signed by St. Patrick's Day . . .
What next
April Fool's Day . . . .
or more realistic
the July 4th to get liberated . . . .
Are you coming for the rally?