Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb USCIS I485 Processing - My recommendations to IV

This is my recommendations to IV Core for process improvements for USCIS. Some of the info is based on my own experiences and other issues I have seen in public forums. I open this for discussion. Pls. share your experiences and any recommendations. Pls. limit to processing steps as Administration doesn't deal with law changes.

Application Processing Related changes:

Receipt Number Changes:

Receipt number currently represents the filing date and location. This information is not as much applicable to I485 Adjustment of status applicants as it would for other applications.
1. Generate unique Receipt number for I485 applications without regard to the filing/processing center.
2. Make the receipt number smart to include Priority date and category. Both primary and all dependent applicants to have same priority date. This can be one of the information a lawyer/applicant can provide in I485 application with a copy of I140 application approval/receipt copy or a labor certification copy to justify.
3. Country of Chargeability can't be determined until applications are adjudicated. So it is not possible to get this part of Receipt number.
4. Monthly published I485 application Processing time doesn't appear to correlate to USCIS Officers actual work. So instead of specifying a cutoff date, publish a range of receipt numbers that are being currently processed. Instruct officers use this info to select the cases for processing in a priority date order as much as possible.

I485 Processing and Fingerprints

Based on my observations and personal experiences, processing of an AOS application has no systemic controls for an audit on miss-placed applications and hence no systemic way to ensure applications are processed in a first in first out manner. Applicant perspective of an Immigration Officer touching an individual's case looks to be purely driven by luck than process.
1. Establish a checklist for copies of applicant information such as birth certificate, passport etc. with index of page numbers for I485 information. Allow lawyers/individuals to glue tabs to pages so that information can be accessible to officers quickly during adjudication process.
2. It is better to have a central I485 adjudication process since it effects visa numbers usage. If it's not feasible, at least visa allocation needs to be centralized.
3. Decouple I485 processing and visa allocation. This will ensure a fair and Priority date based visa allocation.
4. Online status to include Pending visa allocation step. This will educate individuals of their correct application status. This can precede final adjudication and Card Production steps.
5. Let individuals/lawyers schedule (reschedule) Fingerprints for the first time when they get I485 receipt notice. Process for this can be same as info pass. Setup a secure connection after validating the secure information along with case numbers etc.

Electronic Documentation and RFE communication

It became more common to re-seek the information that is already supplied in the initial filing. Also USCIS officers are not leveraging the advanced communication such as Electronic storage of documents, Email, Fax to get better, faster information from applicants/lawyers.
1. Instruct Adjudicators to use electronic communication to reach to individuals/lawyers if they choose to sign up for RFE etc.. This could include email, fax etc. This will expedite the processing. Also allow officers to get an electronic response where ever possible. Most of the times the biggest time gap between issuing RFE and officer getting a response is the transit time for physical paper sharing. This is not the most productive use of precious time.
2. Establish a electronic file sharing mechanism so that same file can be reused by both EAD/AP processing and I485 processing. Applicants/Lawyers can upload all the electronic files based on receipt numbers or RFE responses.

Broader Process related Changes:

1. Allow filing for I485 without regard to Dept of State visa bulletin. The visa availability is more dynamic and subjected to lot more parameters. DOS need not consider all of them when publishing a visa bulletin.
2. Setup a self registration process for pending Adjustment of Status. So that applicants with approved immigration petitions can give the necessary projection of demand for a category and country of chargeability.
3. Provide statistics related to I140 filing/approval/rejections based on country of birth of the applicant and category.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't finish reading your post. But i couldn't hold appreciating you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbkris77 View Post
This is my recommendations to IV Core for process improvements for USCIS. Some of the info is based on my own experiences and other issues I have seen in public forums. I open this for discussion. Pls. share your experiences and any recommendations. Pls. limit to processing steps as Administration doesn't deal with law changes.

Receipt Number Changes:

Receipt number currently represents the filing date and location. This information is not as much applicable to I485 Adjustment of status applicants as it would for other applications.
1. Generate unique Receipt number for I485 applications without regard to the filing/processing center.
2. Make the receipt number smart to include Priority date and category. Both primary and all dependent applicants to have same priority date. This can be one of the information a lawyer/applicant can provide in I485 application with a copy of I140 application approval/receipt copy or a labor certification copy to justify.
3. Country of Chargeability can't be determined until applications are adjudicated. So it is not possible to get this part of Receipt number.
4. Monthly published I485 application Processing time doesn't appear to correlate to USCIS Officers actual work. So instead of specifying a cutoff date, publish a range of receipt numbers that are being currently processed. Instruct officers use this info to select the cases for processing in a priority date order as much as possible.

Based on my observations and personal experiences, processing of an AOS application has no systemic controls for an audit on miss-placed applications and hence no systemic way to ensure applications are processed in a first in first out manner. Applicant perspective of an Immigration Officer touching an individual's case looks to be purely driven by luck than process.
1. Establish a checklist for copies of applicant information such as birth certificate, passport etc. with index of page numbers for I485 information. Allow lawyers/individuals to glue tabs to pages so that information can be accessible to officers quickly during adjudication process.
2. It is better to have a central I485 adjudication process since it effects visa numbers usage. If it's not feasible, at least visa allocation needs to be centralized.
3. Decouple I485 processing and visa allocation. This will ensure a fair and Priority date based visa allocation.
4. Online status to include Pending visa allocation step. This will educate individuals of their correct application status. This can precede final adjudication and Card Production steps.
5. Let individuals/lawyers schedule (reschedule) Fingerprints for the first time when they get I485 receipt notice. Process for this can be same as info pass. Setup a secure connection after validating the secure information along with case numbers etc.

It became more common to re-seek the information that is already supplied in the initial filing. Also USCIS officers are not leveraging the advanced communication such as Electronic storage of documents, Email, Fax to get better, faster information from applicants/lawyers.
1. Instruct Adjudicators to use electronic communication to reach to individuals/lawyers if they choose to sign up for RFE etc.. This could include email, fax etc. This will expedite the processing. Also allow officers to get an electronic response where ever possible. Most of the times the biggest time gap between issuing RFE and officer getting a response is the transit time for physical paper sharing. This is not the most productive use of precious time.
2. Establish a electronic file sharing mechanism so that same file can be reused by both EAD/AP processing and I485 processing. Applicants/Lawyers can upload all the electronic files based on receipt numbers or RFE responses.

1. Allow filing for I485 without regard to Dept of State visa bulletin. The visa availability is more dynamic and subjected to lot more parameters. DOS need not consider all of them when publishing a visa bulletin.
2. Setup a self registration process for pending Adjustment of Status. So that applicants with approved immigration petitions can give the necessary projection of demand for a category and country of chargeability.
3. Provide statistics related to I140 filing/approval/rejections based on country of birth of the applicant and category.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute Rb_newsletter has a reputation beyond repute
Some more info about how the files are handled.

Question and Answer Session with a former USCIS Adjudicator

Old 04-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

How difficult could it be, to track consular processing data, if not in real time, then at least periodically??

Old 04-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute forever_waiting has a reputation beyond repute

excellent compilation.
Folks - please contribute your opinions. vbkris is a long-time, experienced and knowledgeable IV volunteer. Lets help put together a strong proposal

Quote:

Receipt Number Changes:

Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute vbkris77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default It was not consistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk_2000 View Post
How difficult could it be, to track consular processing data, if not in real time, then at least periodically??
USCIS is supposed to send all approved I140 applications to DoS facility for a disposition including those elected AOS option. But what we learned is that USCIS is not consistent in doing that. So this data doesn't help much. Infact we thumbed down when we learnt that only some specific country (not Indian) applications are sent to DOS facility.

Hence our request to publish I140 application data publicly.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb_newsletter View Post
Some more info about how the files are handled.

Question and Answer Session with a former USCIS Adjudicator
Thank you. I saw this link and it made double down on my recommendations after that. Its just not possible to orderly approve applications with their current process.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
sanhari has a reputation beyond repute sanhari has a reputation beyond repute sanhari has a reputation beyond repute sanhari has a reputation beyond repute sanhari has a reputation beyond repute sanhari has a reputation beyond repute sanhari has a reputation beyond repute sanhari has a reputation beyond repute sanhari has a reputation beyond repute sanhari has a reputation beyond repute sanhari has a reputation beyond repute
Default EAD/AP with validity until approval/denial of I-485

Please also include request to issue EAD/AP combo card with validity until approval/denial of I-485. Since with the new I-485 filing USCIS doesn't make any money out of EAD/AP renewals. This will be a great relief for applicants, and also a lot of time and money saved for USCIS.

Quote:

Receipt Number Changes:

Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhari View Post
Please also include request to issue EAD/AP combo card with validity until approval/denial of I-485. Since with the new I-485 filing USCIS doesn't make any money out of EAD/AP renewals. This will be a great relief for applicants, and also a lot of time and money saved for USCIS.
Sure thing, But I just don't know if USCIS policy allows them to have indefinite date on EAD/AP cards. Is there a regulation that you could search for me? I will try to google myself too.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sure thing, But I just don't know if USCIS policy allows them to have indefinite date on EAD/AP cards. Is there a regulation that you could search for me? I will try to google myself too.
vbkris, great points!!
regarding the indefinite EAD/AP cards that might be too much to be asking given the rather indefinite waiting period for EB3 folks. That would counter the general concept of periodic review and extension for immigrants. However, they could atleast give a min of 2 year duration and also permit continuity of status while an application for EAD renewal is pending and delayed despite being filed in time. If all we have to do is to submit the EAD renewal application and not have to worry about when they send it renewed I am ok with it. The problem arises when there is a break related to the delay in renewal which causes undue stress both to the employee and the employer.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
USCIS is supposed to send all approved I140 applications to DoS facility for a disposition including those elected AOS option. But what we learned is that USCIS is not consistent in doing that. So this data doesn't help much. Infact we thumbed down when we learnt that only some specific country (not Indian) applications are sent to DOS facility.

Hence our request to publish I140 application data publicly.
Yes, updating publicly would be real cool .. but not much use if not automated.. they might need to make major changes. Anyway, nothing to lose by expressing the need

Old 04-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhari View Post
It will be misused . Nothing can be indefinite. With every renewal USCIS should be checking the applicant current status, employment and other things.
When thinking of ideas, think like a USCIS policy maker who not only thinks about the law, relief etc... But also thinks how the end user will misuse it and how it can be avoided.
Vbkris. Have not read your post. When I get time, will read and comment. But thank you for always being proactive. It was due to your proactive work along with ashipwin that we saw a big relief to several people in the community that were able to file I485 due to forward date movement in the early quarters.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Last edited by pappu; 04-25-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfor_gc View Post
Now a days USCIS does not bother to update the USCIS case site https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/logon.do with appropriate status.

My I-485 though pre-adjudicated long back, still shows "Initial review". Recently I applied for AP. Though I received the AP, the status still shows "Initial Review".

This site was brought up to bring more transparency into case status for user. If I remember correctly Pres Obama made a big deal about this after a while he came to power.
Some times the links are broken for online status. Also the customer support personal don't care as much for that. It is more like the adjudicators are not following a process that their IT requires to update online status or something like that.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
It will be misused . Nothing can be indefinite. With every renewal USCIS should be checking the applicant current status, employment and other things.
When thinking of ideas, think like a USCIS policy maker who not only thinks about the law, relief etc... But also thinks how the end user will misuse it and how it can be avoided.
Vbkris. Have not read your post. When I get time, will read and comment. But thank you for always being proactive. It was due to your proactive work along with ashipwin that we saw a big relief to several people in the community that were able to file I485 due to forward date movement in the early quarters.
I agree that they need to continue the review. One point I liked is to have a policy where in the EAD filing or receipt notice be used for employment continuation without accruing unlawful employment due to CIS delays. But I don't think USCIS will be right organization to make that call. So it may not be part of our recommendation to them. It is more a policy matter that needs WH intervention.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk_2000 View Post
Yes, updating publicly would be real cool .. but not much use if not automated.. they might need to make major changes. Anyway, nothing to lose by expressing the need
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfor_gc View Post
Now a days USCIS does not bother to update the USCIS case site https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/logon.do with appropriate status.

My I-485 though pre-adjudicated long back, still shows "Initial review". Recently I applied for AP. Though I received the AP, the status still shows "Initial Review".

This site was brought up to bring more transparency into case status for user. If I remember correctly Pres Obama made a big deal about this after a while he came to power.
Yeah, what I had in mind..