Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 02:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by looivy View Post
IV -

It was a great event...I feel proud to have attended this event with another 1800 of my friends. Thanks for organizing this impressive event and thanks for your efforts. It takes a lot to coordinate an event of such a magnitude and get Congress-peoples to come and speak at our forum. I was impressed with Congressowman Zoe Logren speech and Rep Jason Chaffetz' message. Except a few selfish ROWers, everybody understands our plight.

I have mailed in a small contribution via check to your Santa Clara mailing address.

Thanks for leading us.

Cheers.
IV Team - Can you please post the video about IV and history of HR 3012 on Youtube with a link on top of this website. It represented a very well articulated point of view.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosightofgc View Post
Thanks to IV for organizing such a monumental effort and make it as a grand success. We all know that IV core is spending numerous hours in the back ground to bring cloture to our bill, but this summit also required hours from several hundred volunteers and thanks a lot for that.

Due to changes in my personal life, I could not attend the summit as I planned originally. But here is my contribution for the effort. $200 new contribution in addition to $1200 I contributed earlier+monthly contributions. Confirmation Number: DZWLG-V08RM.
Thanks.
Those who could not come for some reason should now get ready for the next round of the fight. Please contribute if you have not till now. It is the least one could do by subscribing to monthly recurring subscriptions of $25. It is a small change compared to the relief we can bring collectively by being successful in our efforts. Contact IV coordinator Ritu if you can volunteer on our daily IV work on the bill. Those who came to the event saw that IV is not just a website but the real IV work is beyond the posts on the site. They also saw by meeting active iv members that already had greencards/ citizenship, or were from china , Mexico or ROW , that it is beyond looking at our selfish greencard interests. Several members who came already had greencard but still flew from other states spending their own money and even volunteered to make it a success. New folks saw It is grassroots efforts and that we are advocating for the bill with lawmakers. It is beyond posting on forums, tracking and predicting where we end up wasting our precious time. It is beyond sending emails and signing online petitions. People who attended came to know more information about the bill but also our efforts on admin fixes that will help aleviate some pain during the greencard wait. As discussed during the event we have some action items. Let us all do a part and not only financially support the organization that is working for the interest of our community but also participate actively.

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Last edited by pappu; 09-10-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute
Default Glad I attended the rally

It was great to see the IV core and other volunteers in person. Always good to have a face ( and name) to go with user ids. Got time to speak to some in the core team. To see the enthusiasm of those in core who already have their GCs and those who are close to citizenship, I kept wondering if I could have done more to the community. Well I have been contributing regularly and am a monthly contributor myself and just attended the rally. But talking to some who had spent time in DC talking to our representatives, was an eye opener. Got to know a lot that were not posted in the forums (and probably should not). Past few weeks I've volunteered to make calls and reach out people in CA for the rally. Going forward I plan to participate more. Thanks Aman, Pappu, Jai and other core team! Hats off to you! Thanks Raj for your Iowa work!Thanks Ritu for co-ordinating the volunteer efforts. Looking forward to the next action item. Go IV!!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rdoib has a reputation beyond repute rdoib has a reputation beyond repute rdoib has a reputation beyond repute rdoib has a reputation beyond repute rdoib has a reputation beyond repute rdoib has a reputation beyond repute rdoib has a reputation beyond repute rdoib has a reputation beyond repute rdoib has a reputation beyond repute rdoib has a reputation beyond repute rdoib has a reputation beyond repute
Default Signed up for monthly contributions

Subscription#S-9U2825XXXXXXXXXXX224T

This is in addition to multiple one time contributions in the past.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute mantagon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hats off to IV...

...for making this a Grand Success!

This was the first time I attended an event planned by IV and was easily impressed the moment I reached the venue! What energy, zeal and motivation all around! It was really awe-inspiring to see and hear various core members and other members who had the courage to share their green-card saga - some of them having already gotten it - but were there to show their continued support!

All who showed up or contributed towards making this event a success, give this community a good name. I flew in from Ohio!!

Those who just sat on the sidelines, you know what you are - a big L.

The work's not done yet, so let us not loose the momentum and keep on striking when the iron is still hot. I know that together, we can and will make it happen!

Go IV!

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute srij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by srij View Post
It was great to see the IV core and other volunteers in person. Always good to have a face ( and name) to go with user ids. Got time to speak to some in the core team. To see the enthusiasm of those in core who already have their GCs and those who are close to citizenship, I kept wondering if I could have done more to the community. Well I have been contributing regularly and am a monthly contributor myself and just attended the rally. But talking to some who had spent time in DC talking to our representatives, was an eye opener. Got to know a lot that were not posted in the forums (and probably should not). Past few weeks I've volunteered to make calls and reach out people in CA for the rally. Going forward I plan to participate more. Thanks Aman, Pappu, Jai and other core team! Hats off to you! Thanks Raj for your Iowa work!Thanks Ritu for co-ordinating the volunteer efforts. Looking forward to the next action item. Go IV!!
Continuing my thoughts on this, we got to hear from a panel which included Prof.Vivek Wadhwa, as to how we as individuals can do. Was glad to see in person other folks from NJ. Hope to meet you guys soon. Thanks every one!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
f2AVisaVictim is infamous around these parts f2AVisaVictim is infamous around these parts f2AVisaVictim is infamous around these parts f2AVisaVictim is infamous around these parts f2AVisaVictim is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu View Post
Thanks.
Those who could not come for some reason should now get ready for the next round of the fight. Please contribute if you have not till now. It is the least one could do by subscribing to monthly recurring subscriptions of $25. It is a small change compared to the relief we can bring collectively by being successful in our efforts. Contact IV coordinator Ritu if you can volunteer on our daily IV work on the bill. Those who came to the event saw that IV is not just a website but the real IV work is beyond the posts on the site. They also saw by meeting active iv members that already had greencards/ citizenship, or were from china , Mexico or ROW , that it is beyond looking at our selfish greencard interests. Several members who came already had greencard but still flew from other states spending their own money and even volunteered to make it a success. New folks saw It is grassroots efforts and that we are advocating for the bill with lawmakers. It is beyond posting on forums, tracking and predicting where we end up wasting our precious time. It is beyond sending emails and signing online petitions. People who attended came to know more information about the bill but also our efforts on admin fixes that will help aleviate some pain during the greencard wait. As discussed during the event we have some action items. Let us all do a part and not only financially support the organization that is working for the interest of our community but also participate actively.
Hi Pappuu,

is there anything you have in IV agenda for the spouse of permanent residents who received there Greencard through EB category, like how they can bring there spouse to US without waiting 4 years?

Please let me know so i can start contributing and start asking other people(who are in this situation) to join IV.

Thanks for not deleting or not marking this post as spam.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, it has taken 6 long years just for one small fix to get this far into a bill that has real hope - HR 3012.

As you all know IV has limited resources. Every time there is a fundraising drive, only few regular donors contribute. With these limitations, the IV core group and volunteers have been able to get this far. Kudos to them for continuing the fight for this long, against all odds.

We need to all keep focused and support this organization on getting this small change through which will have impact to the most number of people who are affected. Its not that other issues are not worth working for, but with resources stretched so thin as it is, those issues only distract from the goal.

So in short, the answer I am sure is going to be NO, IV is not going to take up the issue of spouse of green card holder any time soon. Try consulting an attorney.

Got GC in Sept 2011

Spread the RALLY message on:
Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki
Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

Last edited by needhelp!; 09-10-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2AVisaVictim View Post
Hi Pappuu,

is there anything you have in IV agenda for the spouse of permanent residents who received there Greencard through EB category, like how they can bring there spouse to US without waiting 4 years?

Please let me know so i can start contributing and start asking other people(who are in this situation) to join IV.

Thanks for not deleting or not marking this post as spam.
It is not on IV agenda at this time and we are not working on this item. We are stretched really thin on resources and bandwidth and cannot take up new work. Our focus and stated agenda on the website is restricted and cannot take up every issue under the big immigration umbrella.. Hope you will understand and we wish you luck and best wishes. Unless there are several thousand folks affected by this, willing to spend their own time , resources , travel, and contribute thousands each (since you guys have greencards and can make political contributions) to support lawmakers who support your cause, such fix cannot happen by merely posting an online petition or creating a post on the website. It is a much larger effort. You should start by first meeting your own lawmakers in person. Travel to DC and meet lawmakers sympathetic to the cause, meet organizations that are working on family based issues and attend their events, attend fund raisers of lawmakers to show support to their policies, create presentation of your issue and solution, talk to reporters and interview. This is the start of the long advocacy process on a bill. It is a long process and requires lot of sacrifice. Once you start on your own platform, many others will follow you and support you. Our agenda does not allow new issues taken up at this time. Good luck,

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Last edited by pappu; 09-10-2012 at 11:14 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare

needhelp! Added to that. I suggest being careful with that too. Just posting your issue on a website , creating an online petition is not going to help much. It will definitely help his business and get new clients. There are attorneys who are good with fling application forms and submit them and responding to RFEs. There are attorneys who are expert in litigation. And there are experts in law who write the law and policy or research the law. There are some who are lobbyists and not just understand the law but use their political capital to meet lawmakers and articulate the issue. Which one would you contact? And how much time, resources and personal sacrifices are you willing to make? There is a long line in DC of people waiting for long years to just get a bill introduced or get a fix done. You will have to stand behind them and work harder than everyone to get your issue the attention it deserves.

Learn to read the law yourself, understand it, advocate for your own cause. Basically learn to speak for yourself first and stand up for your own cause first. Others will follow you and support you only if they think you are smart and willing to do what it takes to get the work done. If you are weak, and vulnerable you will be taken advantage of and will end up wasting your time and resources.

I hope the last 2 posts from me not only helps this person looking for help but others on IV naive about the bill advocacy process. Getting a bill process is far more complex and difficult. It is not as easy as signing some online petition or discussing 100s of pages on a forum about a bill or tracking and predicting or coming once in a while on forums and giving expert ideas and solution as an arm chair critic, or just going once or twice in a year to a local lawmaker office asking for a bill.

Core team members who started 6 years ago on this effort made lot of career and personal life sacrifices to work on this cause, in order to get where we are today. Be prepared to make sacrifices, long term commitment if you are sincere and desperate to get a legislative or admin fix for your cause.

===================
-----------

Last edited by pappu; 09-10-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp! View Post
All I can say is WOW... You guys pulled it off and how!

1800 of you showed up to stand up for Fairness
1800 of you showed up to stand up for Freedom
1800 of you showed up to stand up for Justice
1800 of you showed up to stand up for Innovation

1800 of you showed up for your selves and for the remaining 998,200 high-skilled immigrants and their families to stand up for HR3012, the bill the will remove the unfairness and injustice that has been thrust upon you by this archaic law of per country limits in high skilled green cards. 1800 of you have stood up and said that you believe in America and the values that make this country so great. 1800 of you have spoken for freedom from the day to day battles that restrict your ability to contribute even more to this great country.

And Because you showed up, HR 3012 will no longer be a dream.
Because of your support, thousands that come after you will not have to face what you have faced.
Because of your activism history will be written.
Because of your contribution, America will WIN
And Because of your faith in this cause, I-We WILL SUCCEED.

It was an honor to be a part of something THIS big. I consider myself lucky to have gotten a chance to be around such relentless, dedicated volunteers and believe that even though I will definitely forget your names, that a little bit of your spirit will always remain with me and push me to do my part.

THANK YOU IV!
Need Help!
Thanks for being part of the event - I worked with you at the DC Rally event wanted to see you in person but was handiling the back seats to make sure the seating do not look scattered, congrats on getting the GC.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future arc has a brilliant future
Default Great Event Overall

Overall it was pretty good event, I was not happy with the turn out at the circle of plams but was pretty happy with the overwhelming response at CP the whole convention center was full with some seats vacant here and there people were seating till the last row (the ushers had clickers did we get the exact head count?) - I was just involved with the awareness and outreach but it was very comforting to see the over all granduer of the event and guests, the documentry - Meet a lot of you in-person again!

One night I was at one of the temples distributing fliers and urging people to show up and I met a person - who listened to me and then pointed to the "HR 3012" and said all your efforts are waste, you will get your GC in year 3012 I smiled and thats when I remembered Jay/Aman/Prateek talking about change one heart at a time - although very discomforting -I kept going with my outreach efforts and so many others might have done the same thing I did and kept going.

I was very proud to see the Results - to see the overwhelming response - to see the whole convention center filled up, families, kids, standing united for the cause they believe is worth standing up for - I glanced over at the time of the National Anthem and saw these thousand people togather - Thats when I thought how I proved that person who met me in the Temple wrong!

Hopeful that the biil will pass and we will see it till the end!

God Bless!

Old 09-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute needhelp! has a reputation beyond repute

Nevermind.. we were on opposite ends of the auditorium. So close and yet so far

But we will meet, and that will be soon when IV invites everyone to celebrate the passage of HR 3012

GO IV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc View Post
Need Help!
Thanks for being part of the event - I worked with you at the DC Rally event wanted to see you in person but was handiling the back seats to make sure the seating do not look scattered, congrats on getting the GC.

Got GC in Sept 2011

Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

Old 09-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute greyhair has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk110 View Post
Almost all attendees were still citizens of India, and not US. So I presumed it would be an OUR national anthem. Was so utterly disappointed with the hypocritical and unpatriotic gesture.

Understand that your national anthem does not change until your citizenship changes. Forget the citizenship, this country does not even want to give you a green card even after a decade living here.
I was unable to make it to the summit but with all accounts I've read today, it was a great success. I tried my best to be there but due to work schedule reasons could not make it and I'm really sorry for that. I promise to be there the next time for sure, wherever I am needed to help.

myk110:

Respect is a 2-way street. There is nothing wrong with standing up to respect the national anthem of the country you call home. It doesn't mean you are being disrespectful to the country of citizenship, it just means you know how to behave as honorable guest, while you wait to become a citizen. The way I see it, respecting your host helps build mutual trust/understanding. Honoring national anthem of another country just means you respect their values.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare

HR3012 is all about America, and immigrants aspiring to contribute to America. HR3012 is a patriotic bill for America, not for India or any other country in the world.

This event was held in America, for America's future. So respecting America's National Anthem was obvious, not hypocritical.

Got GC in Sept 2011