Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by amulchandra View Post
I just read sec 2302 merit based track two. If I understood this correctly - if this passes as is - for the fiscal year 2014 starting from oct 1st around 120,000 GCs are made available for any application that is pending under eb3 for more than 5 years from the date of enactment.

This should cheer up all the eb3s
This is encouraging! I am about to file my EAD, hope this is the last time!!! Hope it starts from fiscal year 2014!
Attended the Advocacy days in DC - 2011
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
padmaforopt has a reputation beyond repute padmaforopt has a reputation beyond repute padmaforopt has a reputation beyond repute padmaforopt has a reputation beyond repute padmaforopt has a reputation beyond repute padmaforopt has a reputation beyond repute padmaforopt has a reputation beyond repute padmaforopt has a reputation beyond repute padmaforopt has a reputation beyond repute padmaforopt has a reputation beyond repute padmaforopt has a reputation beyond repute
Default immediate Expemtion of Dependents isn very important

Quote:
Originally Posted by somberi View Post
I am not sure wether we should be compiling amendment lists or not. Donor member sage asked that we should but pappu seemed to indicate we should not... anyway, here are a few that come to my mind, that I think will be beneficial to all of us :

1. Counting time spent waiting for GC (beyond a certain limit, say 2 years), similar to what
is currently in place for MArriage based LPR's
2. Reducing LPR-->Citizenship wait time to 3 yrs from 5 yrs, as is being proposed for
undocumented rsients currently.
3. allowing LPR (GC Holdes) to also sponsor parents without visa number restrictions as
is currently allowed for citizens.

Cheers
I feel Immediate Exemption of Dependents is very important .That it self will change our fates a lot , If EB1 exemption and 56K(40% of 140K) for Eb2& EB3 is also applied immediately.

But from What I understand this is already in the CIR.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute

This is why 5 year STEM needs to change.

Case : 1

Graduated say before 2007 January.

Applicant is STEM MS holder . I-140 approved and changed job , with job type changed entirely . So old PERM can not be used. Need to file New PERM and 140.

There are so many cases like this after the recession who lost their jobs and were forced to change the job description and position.

Now these guys will not benefit from the CIR as other recent Grads will. CIR is aimed to reduce the STEM brain drain. This is the nail in the head for those STEM people.

Case 2

Graduated say before 2007 January.

2 years of OPT .

Filed H1 and stayed on H1 for three years.

Due to recession was forced to go back to school and change to H4 of F1.

So no PERM no 140.

I bet there are thousands who can relate to case 2.

Just educating the members.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage2006 View Post
Thank you very much friends.

Volunteer 1 - LglImi - Thu (04/18) and Fri (04/19)
Volunteer 2 - ketavanda - Saturday (04/20) onwards
Volunteer 3 - pd052011 - Volunteer 3 can help with any additional reviewing.

LglImi has already started diligently posting updated summary. Please help him and later ketavanda and pd052011 update the list with your suggestions in the format they request.
Every night I will also post the last updated list from the volunteers on the 3rd post of this thread (with the date/time stamp) for additional reference.
Sage,
Are you going to update Post 3,as you mentioned above...Thanks!

Sage/Admin2/Pappu:
My feeling is that Senators(expecially the Chairman) will try to rush this bill through as soon as possible through Senate. So, any amendment proposal has to be put forth fast and middle of next week might be too late. But, you are the experts and know better. I just thought of bringing it up. Thanks!!
LglImi

Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Donor/Moderator
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/22/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute sage2006 has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned - yes, I have updated it yest night.
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...ml#post3570870 (Immigration Reform of 2013 Introduced in the Senate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LglImi View Post
Sage,
Are you going to update Post 3,as you mentioned above...Thanks!

LglImi

Old 04-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of RNGC has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LglImi View Post
I can be VOLUNTEER 1...I will do this for Friday and Saturday, then somebody(Volunteer 2) please take over.

Also, it is IV leadership choice to pick the proposals they like. We are just volunteers compiling proposals in logical format.

Updated to 10 Amendment proposals

Propose the below format:

Amendment Proposal 1:
Subject:Removal of 5 year cutoff for advanced STEM degree holders
Section of Bill: (Somebody please suggest)
Page/Line of Bill: Page 305 Line 10
New addition: N
Change or Removal of a provision: Y
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words): Majority of the currently backlogged and future EB2 category applicants have earned their US advanced STEM degree more than 5 years ago. Many of the applicants have not yet filled for the green card but have earned US advanced STEM degree more than 5 years ago. In order to truly reduce backlog for advanced STEM graduates, removal of the 5 year cutoff is very important. Alternatively it can be extended to 10 years. This will serve the true purpose of the reform bill.

Amendment Proposal 2:
Subject: Change to provision of EAD for H4 spouses
Section of Bill: (Somebody please suggest)
Page/Line of Bill: (Somebody please suggest)
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words):

Amendment Proposal 3:
Subject: Just like L1 visa managers and executives, exempt the H1B managers and executives from the annual numerical limits on employment-based immigrants
Section of Bill: (Somebody please guide)
Page/Line of Bill: Page 301 Line 13
New addition: Y
Change or Removal of a provision: N
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words): It does not make sense to give first preference category immigration to L1 foreign executives, while ignoring and giving second preference to H1B employees who worked hard to get promoted through ranks and became managers and executives.

Amendment Proposal 4:
Subject: Give EAD to all the approved I-140 irrespective of PD
Section of Bill: This is not there on the bill
Page/Line of Bill:
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words): When they can give work authorization and travel doc for un documented , why not give EAD for all the I-140 the moment the bill is passed. After all the h1 guys are paying SS and taxes for years.

Amendment Proposal 5:
Subject: Track 2: 10 years requirement should not be continuous but can be with breaks also
Section of Bill: LONG-TERM ALIEN WORKERS AND OTHER 6 MERIT-BASED IMMIGRANTS
Page/Line of Bill: 271
New addition: should be considered for all the people who have spent more than 10 years not necessarily continuous.
Change or Removal of a provision: There should be an explanation on 10 years
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words): Most of the people who are on h1 cannot stay more than 6 yrs and have to go back to home land. You can get 7th year if you have a pending EB. In case you have an EB you are covered in other sections of the bill anyways. So this is for people who have no EB in place and spent more than 10 years in US legally. So this needs to be modified stating that who have spent time in US for 10 yrs combined not necessarily continuous in any legal status l1,h1,h4,l2,b1,f1 etc

Amendment Proposal 6:
Subject:Need Visa Revalidation with in USA without need to travel outside
Section of Bill: SEC. 4103.ELIMINATING IMPEDIMENTS TO WORKER MOBILITY
Page/Line of Bill: Page 664 Lines 5 -13
Change or Removal of a provision: I am not sure how the text should be changed . But It should add the provision- Visa stamping requirement should be removed for all immigrants whose Green Card application is approved .
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words): As the Greencard is already approved and just waiting for a Visa Number , Waiving the Visa stamping will help mobility and helps retaining the skilled immigrants. Feel free to change the text here to improve it.

Amendment Proposal 7:
Subject:Include the condition that aliens in EB waiting for more than 3 years on EB-2 (or) waiting for more than 5 years on EB-3
Section of Bill :SEC. 2302. MERIT-BASED TRACK TWO. (C) ELIGIBILITY (1)EMPLOYMENT-BASED IMMIGRANTS
Page/Line of Bill: Page 270 Lines 7-13
Change or Removal of a provision: An alien who is the beneficiary of a petition filed before the date of the enactment of this Act to accord status under section 203(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, if the visa has not been issued with in ("5 years after the date on which such petition was filed") should be changed to something like ("3 years after the date on which such petition was filed, if the alien holds an advanced degree (Eb-2) (or)5 years after the date on which such petition was filed").
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words): IV Admin can judge how fair is this request and how important it is .Anyone, Please feel free to add your points here.

Amendment Proposal 8:
Subject: Immediately enacting visa recapture
Section of Bill: 2304
Page/Line of Bill: 276
Change or Removal of a provision: Y. Change fiscal year 2015 to 2014.

Amendment Proposal 9:
Subject: Immediately enacting country cap removal
Section of Bill: 2306
Page/Line of Bill: 296
Change or Removal of a provision: Y. Para named Effective Date - change to immediate.

Amendment Proposal 10:
Subject: Immediately enacting exemption of derivative beneficiaries from the count
Section of Bill: ?
Page/Line of Bill: 299
Change or Removal of a provision: Y. Change to immediate
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100):

Anybody who think their proposal is important, please fill in above format and I shall update the list.

Thanks,
LglImi
Amendment Proposal 11:
Subject: Ensure Transparency with Immigration
Section of Bill: ?
Page/Line of Bill: ?
Change or Removal of a provision: Add
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100)

With complex rules, points, the attorneys are going to be very rich with this complex bill. I want USCIS to create a page which would give an approximate date as when I will get a green card. If someone has filed I-485, with the information in the application and some basic questions, they should be able to give us a Priority number! If I get the number 4757, it means i am in line and 4757 people are in front of me, so this number should keep getting lesser and lesser each day/week/month/year! With all the numbers in hand, number of people applied, the categories they are in, the number of visas available, its a basic addition/subtraction that needs to be done. This will make the system very transparent and will remove the attorney from minting money from both Legal and Ilegal immigrants! I am not just creating a new request, with my EB3-I, PD Feb 2005, I still have no idea when I will get the GC if the CIR is passed in 6 months from now.

Maybe the above can be edited and made more professional. I Applaud the IV team for working very hard on lots of issue, the one thing that has always haunted the EB community is the "UnPredictable, Prolonged wait", if there is a solution for this, it will be great!
Attended the Advocacy days in DC - 2011

Last edited by RNGC; 04-19-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: correction

Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute

RNGC while what you say is agreed by lot of us, we all know this is asking for impossible. It is impossible to implement FIFO. What if someone ahead of me got RFE. So does that mean I have to wait until he answers RFE? Your opposition to attorneys is unjustified. Many of us love them, go to their websites, pay them and get our greencard. You cannot change that through law. You are asking to change our mindset through law. How is that possible?

Old 04-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute

Amendment Proposal 1:
Subject: Screening (interviewing) of H1B applicants on their field of work/expertise
Section of Bill: May be Sec 4233
Page/Line of Bill:
There is a lot of fraud/abuse by both applicants and body shoppers like Infosys, TCS, Wipro, etc. So, it is important to put in place a screening system where as each H1-B applicant is interviewed by qualified professionals. Even though, it is not going to root out all the fraud, it will create some level of deterrent. Also, this will create some new jobs.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Change to provision of EAD for H4 spouses

Amendment Proposal 2:
Subject: Change to provision of EAD for H4 spouses
Section of Bill: 4102
Page/Line of Bill: Page 663/ Line 23

- It does not make sense to give L2 visa holders EAD without any condition and give conditional EAD for H4 visa holders. It is discriminatory.
- It will be an incentive for the H1 visa holders to stay longer and choose US over other competitive countries to make their home.
- If both people work in the same family, it indirectly boosts day care and other supporting industries.
- Giving more people employment authorization will simply share the current US debt. This is subject to H4 on EAD getting jobs.
- Giving away more EADs will simply generate more revenue for USCIS, that way we can help people keep their jobs without losing money.
- Since most of the H4 visa holders are women, here is an opportunity to empower the women in this country.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snthampi View Post
Amendment Proposal 1:
Subject: Screening (interviewing) of H1B applicants on their field of work/expertise
Page/Line of Bill:
There is a lot of fraud/abuse by both applicants and body shoppers like Infosys, TCS, Wipro, etc. So, it is important to put in place a screening system where as each H1-B applicant is interviewed by qualified professionals. Even though, it is not going to root out all the fraud, it will create some level of deterrent. Also, this will create some new jobs.
Good point... the challenge would be to enforce it, since there is a huge cost involved. Also, Wipro, Infosys and TCS will be lobbying against it. But we can definitely put that in.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
master80master is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Health care professionals that have finished a residency just like physicians

Kudos to the entire IV team for all your effort in bringing CIR to the table!

Can other health care professionals who have finished a residency (just like physicians) be considered to be added to the category of "physicians who will be exempted from annual numerical limits"?

All health care professionals like nurses, dentists etc. go through the same rigorous training like physicians. Do you think it would be fair to leave these professionals out?

Any consideration by IV would be appreciated!!

No negativity, please. Also, please do not question my participation, donation etc.
I barely got out of grad school with more than $300,000 in student loans...

Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Change or Removal of a provision: I am not sure how the text should be changed . But It should add the provision- Make I-140 completely and automatically portable. An Approved i-140 should stand even if employer is changed and new employer should be able to proceed with AOS when date is current .
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words): As the Greencard is already approved and just waiting for a Visa Number. No point repeating everything, and also this will remove an obstacle to job mobility lessen the indented servitude. (Feel free to change the text here to improve it.)

Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk_2000 View Post
Change or Removal of a provision: I am not sure how the text should be changed . But It should add the provision- Make I-140 completely and automatically portable. An Approved i-140 should stand even if employer is changed and new employer should be able to proceed with AOS when date is current .
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words): As the Greencard is already approved and just waiting for a Visa Number. No point repeating everything, and also this will remove an obstacle to job mobility lessen the indented servitude. (Feel free to change the text here to improve it.)
To this, also add -
If a 485 is in progress it gets similarly carried over to new employer
and also
The application can be bumped up from say EB3 to EB2 by providing new job description and/or qualifications

Old 04-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snthampi View Post
Amendment Proposal 1:
Page/Line of Bill:
I cannot believe you have been an IV member since 2006. What a disgrace. People like yourself are the reason we stay divided. IV please ignore such suggestions. Such posts also should be deleted.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by antri View Post
Good point... the challenge would be to enforce it, since there is a huge cost involved. Also, Wipro, Infosys and TCS will be lobbying against it. But we can definitely put that in.
Please do not support such suggestions. This is a wrong place for it.