Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immigration Reform of 2013 Introduced in the Senate

Immigration Reform of 2013 has been introduced in the Senate. The bill was introduced at 2am by Sen. Schumer on his behalf and on behalf of his Senate colleagues Senator McCain, Durbin, Graham, Menendez, Rubio, Bennet and Flake.

Immigration Voice applaud the leadership of eight (8) senators for their bi-partisan effort in reforming the nation's broken Immigration system.

Here is the bill text for the Immigration Reform of 2013.
http://immigrationvoice.org/media/Im...ll_of_2013.pdf

Last edited by Administrator2; 04-17-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Summary of High-Skilled Provisions in CIR-2013

For the benefit of our members, here is a quick summary of the high-skilled provisions in CIR-2013.

http://immigrationvoice.org/wiki/ima...visions_IV.pdf

Please note that we have been reviewing, over the past few days, and are still reviewing the finer details of the legislative language so this summary document will be refined and changed over time. Appreciate your cooperation.

Last edited by sage2006; 04-17-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Default IV Member's suggestions for changes/amendments

1) For the past days we have a lead team of IV volunteers already diligently working in the back end, combing through the bill to identify changes,amendments, additions that we can actively advocate for. Due to our advocacy and grass-roots efforts (IV core team's persistent advocacy and meetings with Key lawmaker offices in DC, past years advocacy efforts, March 2013 advocacy days, WH event, 100's of IV members attending Town Halls and district level meetings during recess), several of our provisions are in the bill but there is lot of scope for improvement and additions.
2) Several members on this thread have posted good suggestions. Several suggestions by members on the thread here (change effective date, clarify H4 ability to work clause etc) are already on our list. However we recommend everyone review the bill as it affects all our lives to come up with more suggestions.

The following volunteers are compiling everyone's suggestions
Volunteer 1 - LglImi - Thu (04/18) and Fri (04/19)
Volunteer 2 - ketavanda - Saturday (04/20) onwards
Volunteer 3 - pd052011 - Volunteer 3 can help with any additional reviewing.

- Folks making suggestions - Please reference the specific section# and paragraph in the bill to which you are pointing to. This will help our volunteers tremendously.
As Admin pointed out we welcome ideas but make sure they are reasonable and pertinent. First focus is on sensible amendments/changes to existing clauses. Secondly, on addition of new provisions.

Let us make this an active ideas-based thread and come up with a final clear list by mid next week that we can use, as needed, during our ongoing advocacy efforts to keep our provisions in the bill/add suitable amendments and eventually get the bill passed.[/color][/quote]

Below is the current compiled list as of 04/19 5 PM ET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LglImi View Post

Amendment Proposal 1:
Subject:Removal of 5 year cutoff for advanced STEM degree holders
Section of Bill: (Somebody please suggest)
Page/Line of Bill: Page 305 Line 10
New addition: N
Change or Removal of a provision: Y
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words): Majority of the currently backlogged and future EB2 category applicants have earned their US advanced STEM degree more than 5 years ago. Many of the applicants have not yet filled for the green card but have earned US advanced STEM degree more than 5 years ago. In order to truly reduce backlog for advanced STEM graduates, removal of the 5 year cutoff is very important. Alternatively it can be extended to 10 years. This will serve the true purpose of the reform bill.

Amendment Proposal 2:
Subject: Change to provision of EAD for H4 spouses
Section of Bill: (Somebody please suggest)
Page/Line of Bill: (Somebody please suggest)
Change or Removal of a provision: Y
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words):

Amendment Proposal 3:
Subject: Just like L1 visa managers and executives, exempt the H1B managers and executives from the annual numerical limits on employment-based immigrants
Section of Bill: (Somebody please guide)
Page/Line of Bill: Page 301 Line 13
New addition: Y
Change or Removal of a provision: N
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words): It does not make sense to give first preference category immigration to L1 foreign executives, while ignoring and giving second preference to H1B employees who worked hard to get promoted through ranks and became managers and executives.

Amendment Proposal 4:
Subject: Give EAD to all the approved I-140 irrespective of PD
Section of Bill: This is not there on the bill
Page/Line of Bill:
New addition: Y
Change or Removal of a provision: N
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words): When they can give work authorization and travel doc for un documented , why not give EAD for all the I-140 the moment the bill is passed. After all the h1 guys are paying SS and taxes for years.

Amendment Proposal 5:
Subject: Track 2: 10 years requirement should not be continuous but can be with breaks also
Section of Bill: LONG-TERM ALIEN WORKERS AND OTHER 6 MERIT-BASED IMMIGRANTS
Page/Line of Bill: 271
New addition: should be considered for all the people who have spent more than 10 years not necessarily continuous.
Change or Removal of a provision: There should be an explanation on 10 years
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words): Most of the people who are on h1 cannot stay more than 6 yrs and have to go back to home land. You can get 7th year if you have a pending EB. In case you have an EB you are covered in other sections of the bill anyways. So this is for people who have no EB in place and spent more than 10 years in US legally. So this needs to be modified stating that who have spent time in US for 10 yrs combined not necessarily continuous in any legal status l1,h1,h4,l2,b1,f1 etc

Amendment Proposal 6:
Subject:Need Visa Revalidation with in USA without need to travel outside
Section of Bill: SEC. 4103.ELIMINATING IMPEDIMENTS TO WORKER MOBILITY
Page/Line of Bill: Page 664 Lines 5 -13
Change or Removal of a provision: I am not sure how the text should be changed . But It should add the provision- Visa stamping requirement should be removed for all immigrants whose Green Card application is approved .
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words): As the Greencard is already approved and just waiting for a Visa Number , Waiving the Visa stamping will help mobility and helps retaining the skilled immigrants. Feel free to change the text here to improve it.

Amendment Proposal 7:
Subject:Include the condition that aliens in EB waiting for more than 3 years on EB-2 (or) waiting for more than 5 years on EB-3
Section of Bill :SEC. 2302. MERIT-BASED TRACK TWO. (C) ELIGIBILITY (1)EMPLOYMENT-BASED IMMIGRANTS
Page/Line of Bill: Page 270 Lines 7-13
Change or Removal of a provision: An alien who is the beneficiary of a petition filed before the date of the enactment of this Act to accord status under section 203(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, if the visa has not been issued with in ("5 years after the date on which such petition was filed") should be changed to something like ("3 years after the date on which such petition was filed, if the alien holds an advanced degree (Eb-2) (or)5 years after the date on which such petition was filed").
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100 words): IV Admin can judge how fair is this request and how important it is .Anyone, Please feel free to add your points here.

Amendment Proposal 8:
Subject: Immediately enacting visa recapture
Section of Bill: 2304
Page/Line of Bill: 276
Change or Removal of a provision: Y. Change fiscal year 2015 to 2014.

Amendment Proposal 9:
Subject: Immediately enacting country cap removal
Section of Bill: 2306
Page/Line of Bill: 296
Change or Removal of a provision: Y. Para named Effective Date - change to immediate.

Amendment Proposal 10:
Subject: Immediately enacting exemption of derivative beneficiaries from the count
Section of Bill: ?
Page/Line of Bill: 299
Change or Removal of a provision: Y. Change to immediate
WHY/LOGIC(No more than 100):

Anybody who this their proposal is important, please fill in above format and I shall update the list.

Thanks,
LglImi

Last edited by sage2006; 04-19-2013 at 04:23 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Great news. I hope house also introduces similar bill soon.

Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki

Info on Rally | Posters | Volunteers

Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light rbusgc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Key Points - Request to Core...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator2 View Post
Immigration Reform of 2013 has been introduced in the Senate. The bill was introduced at 2am by Sen. Schumer on his behalf and on behalf of his Senate colleagues Senator McCain, Durbin, Graham, Menendez, Rubio, Bennet and Flake.

Immigration Voice applaud the leadership of eight (8) senators for their bi-partisan effort in reforming the nation's broken Immigration system.

Requesting one of our senior IV guys to post the key positive points for Employment Based immigrants in this new bill.. this will help all of us to understand the key provisions in detail.

Thanks in Advance,
RB

Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile It is S.744

Quote:

Bill Number is S.744
Latest Title: A bill to provide for comprehensive immigration reform and for other purposes.
Bill Summary & Status - 113th Congress (2013 - 2014) - S.744 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Almost everything we fought for is there! Thank you IV! Simply amazing accomplishment IV!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanprabhu View Post
Clearly the bill is more directed to illegal immigration reform even though it says it is comprehensive. I do not see anything about the capturing the earlier visas or any significant needs of us added to the visa at this stage.

I totally agree that the so called "reform" H1B is only one direction that is to add more visa and then pay for it more. Nothing about portability of it or that the dependents work part.
You are absolutely incorrect. This is what I read in the bill:

Employment-based:
-EB1 gets exempted from the cap
-EB2 gets 40%, EB3 gets 40%, EB4 10% and EB5 10%
-Dependents get exempted
-Country caps removed
-Recapture of wasted visas since 1991
-PhD in any field exempted from the cap
-MD who finish waiver exempted
-EB2 is split into A and B. EB2-B is STEM masters. EB2-B is exempt from PERM and the Cap

and many more.

I also don't understand why you are so negative and discouraged. We have a bill and we have most of our demands in it. Thank you IV for simply amazing hard work on our behalf!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pgasri is on a distinguished road
Default Need your suggestion

Friends,

I am in EB3 with PD April 2008. Current status - I140 approved and just extended my H1-B and have the validity till 2015.

I got an good offer from an other company and they are doing my H1-B transfer. They offered to start my GC in EB2 with in 3 months of may joining.

Is this a good decision to take this offer at this stage. (especially we are waiting for this immigration bill to pass by end of this year). My concern is, I need to go through labor and 140 again, so not sure how this bill will impact new GC cases.

Really confused what to do at this stage..Do you guys have any suggestion for me.. Is that better to wait and decide?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gujju has a reputation beyond repute gujju has a reputation beyond repute gujju has a reputation beyond repute gujju has a reputation beyond repute gujju has a reputation beyond repute gujju has a reputation beyond repute gujju has a reputation beyond repute gujju has a reputation beyond repute gujju has a reputation beyond repute gujju has a reputation beyond repute gujju has a reputation beyond repute
Default Great Job IV

Great Job IV. All the provisions that IV worked for are in there. Hats of to the CORE team and all those helping them.

All its time to WAKE UP and help team IV and yourselves.

Thanks,
Gujju

Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute sunny2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhair View Post
So you created a new ID to post this? Clearly you know this forum and have another ID. Are you scared?

Are you seeking green card provisions or do you just want to compare with the undocumented?

Is there any bill that you can like? Or are you going to attack every bill, even if it fixes backlogs?

And to set the record straight, I checked again and this bill removes per country limits.
WTH , I'm unable to do a quick search in that pdf to figure what's the effective date for 40% going to EB3 ? With my PD in Aug 2003 , Am I going to get relief in 2015 ? I'll be disappointed in a way, it this is true.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute

Admins, PLEASE BAN Gundya and any other trolls who create IDs to create divisions and post irresponsible posts. They do not deserve to be a part of this website. It shows all of us poorly. Let them rot on other websites and live in shadows.

We need a clean environment here since many lawmakers might be visiting our website to judge the reactions of all of us. Let us do strict filtering of posts.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgasri View Post
Friends,

I am in EB3 with PD April 2008. Current status - I140 approved and just extended my H1-B and have the validity till 2015.

I got an good offer from an other company and they are doing my H1-B transfer. They offered to start my GC in EB2 with in 3 months of may joining.

Is this a good decision to take this offer at this stage. (especially we are waiting for this immigration bill to pass by end of this year). My concern is, I need to go through labor and 140 again, so not sure how this bill will impact new GC cases.

Really confused what to do at this stage..Do you guys have any suggestion for me.. Is that better to wait and decide?
You should port to EB2 without delaying it.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgasri View Post
Friends,

Why did you post your question on this thread? How is your question related to the topic of this thread. You need to post on another thread or start a new one.

Guys please do not answer him. People need to be educated and responsible enough if they are high skilled to post on right thread and not pollute the forum topics.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny2007 View Post
WTH , I'm unable to do a quick search in that pdf to figure what's the effective date for 40% going to EB3 ? With my PD in Aug 2003 , Am I going to get relief in 2015 ? I'll be disappointed in a way, it this is true.
Sounds like it will take effect from Fiscal year 2015, Which is from October 2014. Unfortunately by that time it will not make a difference for you and me. But in the long run it will be beneficial for others who are rotting in EB3. If the bill passes I think there will be widespread relief for one and all.