Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingnwaiting View Post
How about giving invitation for unlimited H1b and EAD to everyone in developing countries around the world to come and work. That would be very noble.

It may lower the wages, but hey all jobs will be in America because wages will be at par with what people get in other countries. That will be real competition. Everyone will have to work harder and harder or else their job will be given to someone willing to do it for a dollar a day right here in America. Will that not be good?

Come on. Start thinking like a person who lives in this country and cares for its well being. Stop thinking about just an EAD. Corporates have selfish greed, immigrants have selfish greed and people who gets greencard have selfish motives of closing the door behind them for others. I hope what is good for the country gets done ultimately. I want to continue to see America the best country in the world for generations to come. It does not matter if we get greencard or not, the country has given so much to us and we all love it. That is why we want to stay here and are patient about it. We have not gone back after waiting for more than 5 years. That says something about the greatness of the nation of which we want to be citizens.
How about calling them on L1s and EADs? Is there a limit on L1s? No, there is no limit!

Can you come as a shop keeper on L1? oh yes, It's just a transfer visa.

Can you come as a shop keeper on H1? No

I've many qualified friends who came here and left for good. Many of them did not want to come here. Why do you think if we drive down the wages people will be interested to come here?

my point here is, even if you raise the limit of H1s (with some restrictions), there will be less people than L1s.

Don't just close the door behind you like a selfish person.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kumar700 has a reputation beyond repute kumar700 has a reputation beyond repute kumar700 has a reputation beyond repute kumar700 has a reputation beyond repute kumar700 has a reputation beyond repute kumar700 has a reputation beyond repute kumar700 has a reputation beyond repute kumar700 has a reputation beyond repute kumar700 has a reputation beyond repute kumar700 has a reputation beyond repute kumar700 has a reputation beyond repute

You are mixing the apples and oranges in the discussion. Of course we love this country that is why we are still pursing green card.
The conversation here is whether H1B dependent needs EAD or not. it is definitely fair to give dependents an EAD. Please note that H1B has many limitations, you got to be on job all the time, if need to take break couple of months to take care of kids or kid’s education etc.., then you lose H1B status, job and many..
With EAD they can do part-time job along with taking care of kids etc.. this type of minimum privilege H1B dependent is lacking in current law. This is a very fair proposal.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute antri has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateet View Post
Yeah I can be a shopkeeper & investor on H1B in a business and invest 500k in TEA and employ 10 legal US residents. So to answer our question, yes we can do that while on H1 and self petition for EAD and GC.

Nobody is going to believe your hogwash and whining about L1, H1B & H4 EAD. Again why dont you do some rallies and promote your propoganda ? How many you have done so far ?
Great, looks like being a shop keeper H1 I'll have to invest money and create jobs. Looks like we can achieve our goal of creating some jobs.

I am trying to point out the discrimination of H4 here. How many rally you have done so far to stop others from working? Its just insane.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by antri View Post
Great, looks like being a shop keeper H1 I'll have to invest money and create jobs. Looks like we can achieve our goal of creating some jobs.

I am trying to point out the discrimination of H4 here. How many rally you have done so far to stop others from working? Its just insane.
I am sorry for my above comment. I did not realize it was not for me!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ashshriv is on a distinguished road
Default Alliance with some other group

Hi IV team...I wanted to know if we are partnering with some other pro immigration group..(or already have such alliance).. to further our casue and gather more support..

Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashshriv View Post
Hi IV team...I wanted to know if we are partnering with some other pro immigration group..(or already have such alliance).. to further our casue and gather more support..
Don't know much but have seen at least 2 big groups which IV associates with. Compete America is the biggest advocacy group of the country and IV is on its board. It has all top American tech companies. The other one I have seen long time ago on a post was big Jewish group IV is friends with. That was assuring for me when I came to know. Maybe there are more too. Since IV is invited to testify in Congress it means they must be doing good meetings with Congress members.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute
Post Hatch #8 amendment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator2 View Post
Things are moving too quickly, and we do not have the bandwidth to provide summary of each amendment. Please do your on research and provide summary of the amendments you can review.

Hatch #8 amendment has the provision to clarify the effective date as 1st Oct 2014.
Dear Admin 2
I think Hatch # 8 amendment provision clearly says effective date as 1st October 2013 not 2014
CHAPTER 3—EMPLOYMENT-BASED IMMIGRANT VISAS
SEC. 4131. ELIMINATION OF PER-COUNTRY NUMERICAL LIMITATIONS.
EFFECTIVE DATE—The amendments made by this section shall take effect on October 1, 2013, and shall apply to fiscal years beginning with fiscal year 2014.

http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legi...DM13489%29.pdf

Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murthy View Post
Dear Admin 2
I think Hatch # 8 amendment provision clearly says effective date as 1st October 2013 not 2014
EFFECTIVE DATE—The amendments made by this section shall take effect on October 1, 2013, and shall apply to fiscal years beginning with fiscal year 2014.

This Amendment not came up for discussion or vote yet. This Amendment was a separate pro employment immigration bill introduced by Senator Hatch on January 29,2013 as "I-d Act of 2013" and has good chance to pass this committee at least because some Democrats and Republican in that committee were also co Sponsors of that bill.
It does remove numerical limitation in 2013 and provide Authorization for H4 spouses. Keep your finger crossed and stay positive.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murthy View Post
Dear Admin 2

We did share this information earlier. Probably you may have missed it:
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...ml#post3572210 (LIVE: Markup of bill S.744 at Senate Judiciary committee starting 9th May, 2013)

Senator Hatch and Schumer are working on a compromise amendment which can be supported by both sides.

The thing with Hatch #8 is - it has many other things that other Senate offices could find difficult to support. There seems to be a broad consensus on some of our provisions, including fixing effective date for per-country. So we are working through the process to make sure that final package has our provisions. But we need everyone's support for this. As you would expect with a bill of this size, there is a lot of activity and undercurrent that is not visible at the mark-up proceedings. We need everyone to step-up and do your share.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute Mau has a reputation beyond repute

We will be at senator schemers office in New York asking to support HATCH 8 -- HATCHET so to say.

We are planning to do it on the weekend of memorial day.

We will keep calling.

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
deepakd has a reputation beyond repute deepakd has a reputation beyond repute deepakd has a reputation beyond repute deepakd has a reputation beyond repute deepakd has a reputation beyond repute deepakd has a reputation beyond repute deepakd has a reputation beyond repute deepakd has a reputation beyond repute deepakd has a reputation beyond repute deepakd has a reputation beyond repute deepakd has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the bigger picture, because of globalization there is a wage equalization going on.
If American workers can't work for a competitive wage, those jobs would be shipped out..
Just look at the job scenario for the last 30 years in USA and things would become clear to anyone with an iota of common sense.
If Americans can't compete then look at EU. No company wants to open up a shop in EU for obvious reasons.

Donated: $100 so far.
Done AI for HR3012 as well/Do.
Donated 11K airlines miles

Old 05-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute bond4u has a reputation beyond repute
Default Correction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond4u View Post
This Amendment not came up for discussion or vote yet. This Amendment was a separate pro employment immigration bill introduced by Senator Hatch on January 29,2013 as "I-d Act of 2013" and has good chance to pass this committee at least because some Democrats and Republican in that committee were also co Sponsors of that bill.
It does remove numerical limitation in 2013 and provide Authorization for H4 spouses. Keep your finger crossed and stay positive.
I would like to correct my previous comment Hatch 8 doesn't have H4 amendment but Hatch 14 has.

"Hatch14 – An amendment to encourage other countries to provide reciprocal treatment to the spouses of United States workers stationed in those countries by authorizing the Secretary of Homeland Security to suspend employment authorization for spouses of H–1B nonimmigrants coming from countries that do not permit the employment of similar situated spouses in their countries."

Currently, the bill allows spouses of H-1B workers to be employed, but only if they come from countries that provide reciprocal treatment to spouses of Americans working with analogous visas in that country. This would deny an important benefit to nationals from many countries that are crucial sources of STEM and other talent. This could limit the competitiveness of U.S. employers in the market for global talent.

The amendment encourages other countries to provide reciprocal treatment to U.S. workers stationed abroad. This revision would give the State Department significant leverage in encouraging such arrangements through the diplomatic process.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kingster is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Admin 2! I'm new here, but have been eating up markup news and watching it live. Does Hatch 8 remove the 5-year recency as well as remove the job requirement to get a green card via STEM Master's? It looks that way to me, as I delved into all the sections, but am not 100%.

And to the person asking about Lee 3, I saw it live - he withdrew it in the interests of time, since they were substitute/replacement bills that would take too long to consider. Maybe he thought his issues were already dealt with by other amendments.

Hatch 8 is key. And Cruz 4's online portal would be nice as well.

For stapling green cards to advanced STEM US degree holders, they need to make it more attractive/easy otherwise for some of us overstaying and going into RPI status will sound wise since RPI allows one to travel freely and work for any employer - the two biggest benefits of a green card!

These commonsense steps would help:

(1) remove the 5-year recency requirement for US Master's degree holders (otherwise we can't lure back the tens of thousands that other countries have hired),

(2) remove any job offer requirement to get that green card (since to bring back grads that have left the US you want to make it easier, and having to get a job in the US when you're outside the US is harder),

(3) allow these well-educated immigrants to work in any STEM/non-STEM field even if unrelated to their degree (physics/math PhDs are often found in complex finance),

(4) given the unworkability of the previous system, ignore any visa overstays by advanced STEM grads, and

(5) have an online portal to submit, track and approve green card petitions quickly without the need for lawyers (unless it's a complex case) so that USCIS doesn't get swamped for a few years in mountains of paper and delays. If someone has a verifiable advanced STEM degree from a US university - then make it simple and automatic.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kingster is on a distinguished road

I read that earlier today - we'll have to see if the House gang agrees to a bill. If not, whatever bill the Republicans put forth as a "near-compromise" will probably get on the floor and get debated and voted on. Then maybe the Senate and the House bills can be reconciled in 'conference' and then be voted on in both chambers before going to Obama later this year. Harry Reid wants to get a vote on the Senate bill by July 4th. If nothing happens in the House, it will be up to John Boehner to see if he can corral a majority of House Republicans behind the Senate version based on 'Hastert Rule' - if not, I don't see him letting it die in the House. Too much pressure. He may have to bring it to a vote in the House, and then see it pass with most Democrats and moderate Republicans.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingster View Post
Thanks, Admin 2! I'm new here, but have been eating up markup news and watching it live. Does Hatch 8 remove the 5-year recency as well as remove the job requirement to get a green card via STEM Master's? It looks that way to me, as I delved into all the sections, but am not 100%.

And to the person asking about Lee 3, I saw it live - he withdrew it in the interests of time, since they were substitute/replacement bills that would take too long to consider. Maybe he thought his issues were already dealt with by other amendments.

Hatch 8 is key. And Cruz 4's online portal would be nice as well.

For stapling green cards to advanced STEM US degree holders, they need to make it more attractive/easy otherwise for some of us overstaying and going into RPI status will sound wise since RPI allows one to travel freely and work for any employer - the two biggest benefits of a green card!

These commonsense steps would help:

(1) remove the 5-year recency requirement for US Master's degree holders (otherwise we can't lure back the tens of thousands that other countries have hired),

(2) remove any job offer requirement to get that green card (since to bring back grads that have left the US you want to make it easier, and having to get a job in the US when you're outside the US is harder),

(3) allow these well-educated immigrants to work in any STEM/non-STEM field even if unrelated to their degree (physics/math PhDs are often found in complex finance),

(4) given the unworkability of the previous system, ignore any visa overstays by advanced STEM grads, and

(5) have an online portal to submit, track and approve green card petitions quickly without the need for lawyers (unless it's a complex case) so that USCIS doesn't get swamped for a few years in mountains of paper and delays. If someone has a verifiable advanced STEM degree from a US university - then make it simple and automatic.
Nice list. Please support IV through action items/volunteer to have this done. Also contact your congressman to file these amendments. Be concise and to the point in communication to the congressman about what you want and why...

My personal feeling is Hatch 8 has minimal chances....too long of an amendment......