Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
teyyare is on a distinguished road
Default What is a STEM Degree?

I really wonder what is the definition of a STEM degree according the new immigration reform.

Here is the list of STEM degrees on Department of Homeland Security web site:

http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/stem-list.pdf

Here is the definition of a STEM degree in the bill S. 744, page 315-316:

"a masterís or higher degree in a field of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics included in the Department of Educationís Classification of Instructional Programs taxonomy within the summary groups of computer and information sciences and support services, engineering, mathematics and statistics, biological and biomedical sciences, and physical sciences, from a United States institution of higher education"

So, I guess the list "Department of Homeland Security" is not completely covered by the bill, for instance, "Agricultural Animal Breeding" is not a STEM degree according the bill.

Is that right?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
teyyare is on a distinguished road

Correction, I check the "Agricultural Animal Breeding" it is under "biological and biomedical sciences", so no problem with that. But there are some other programs like "Instructional Technology" this is a STEM degree on Department of Homeland Security but it is not under "computer and information sciences and support services, engineering, mathematics and statistics, biological and biomedical sciences, or physical sciences in the Department of Education’s Classification of Instructional Programs taxonomy.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kotivella has much to be proud of kotivella has much to be proud of kotivella has much to be proud of kotivella has much to be proud of kotivella has much to be proud of kotivella has much to be proud of kotivella has much to be proud of kotivella has much to be proud of kotivella has much to be proud of
Default MBA in WGU

I called WGU (Western governors univ) to inquire about whether or not MBA(IT) comes under STEM .. but interestingly they haven't heard that word in enrollment dept

Can anyone suggest univ' offering online Masters in IT program , that regionally accredited and qualified on STEM

I did in google but no good answer yet

Old 06-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cu.buff is infamous around these parts cu.buff is infamous around these parts cu.buff is infamous around these parts cu.buff is infamous around these parts cu.buff is infamous around these parts cu.buff is infamous around these parts cu.buff is infamous around these parts cu.buff is infamous around these parts cu.buff is infamous around these parts cu.buff is infamous around these parts cu.buff is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotivella View Post
I called WGU (Western governors univ) to inquire about whether or not MBA(IT) comes under STEM .. but interestingly they haven't heard that word in enrollment dept

Can anyone suggest univ' offering online Masters in IT program , that regionally accredited and qualified on STEM

I did in google but no good answer yet
I know Kellogg MMM program offers a STEM degree with a 29 month OPT, you can check with them.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
praskar has a reputation beyond repute praskar has a reputation beyond repute praskar has a reputation beyond repute praskar has a reputation beyond repute praskar has a reputation beyond repute praskar has a reputation beyond repute praskar has a reputation beyond repute praskar has a reputation beyond repute praskar has a reputation beyond repute praskar has a reputation beyond repute praskar has a reputation beyond repute

At the very least, I would expect a MS in Engineering or science to count. Else it's JUST NOT FAIR!