Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LglImi View Post
I dont mind if this bill fails. Without 5yr clause removal - no help for me and many other IVians who are in 6th year of H1B and were getting PERM waiver with Warren's 10yr amendment.

But THANKS!! to IV team for what we have...Good luck to all..
First time my friend you gave a good response. Thanks to IVians and people like you who were trying to make this thing happen. we all knew that it is going to pass senate with majority (not surprising). main thing is house and you know the situation. John boehner again said just now, that may be even he will not even take this bill.

what do you think about House prospects?

Jet
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I dont mind if this bill fails. Without 5yr clause removal - no help for me and many other IVians who are in 6th year of H1B and were getting PERM waiver with Warren's 10yr amendment.

But THANKS!! to IV team for what we have...Good luck to all..
Please allow me to clarify. The bill has many good provisions that we have advocated for the last decade. Infact some of the provisions in the bill were championed by us, long before anyone knew that such changes are necessary. In that sense, we got a lot out of the bill. Yes, we did not get everything that we wanted. That's why there is House bill, and then conference committee. We all just need to continue to keep the pressure if you want to see more positive changes to be added to the bill. It may be difficult for many folks to understand but the most consequential will be Conference committee. That is where most of these changes/fixes will be added. We just need to bring in more energy into the system if we really want to see these changes.

As far as STEM 5 yr provision is concerned, we got four of our key provisions:
1.) Removal of per-country limits
2.) Exemption for dependents
3.) Recapture of unused green cards from previous years
4.) STEM exemption from labor certification and numerical count

These together will be able to resolve good part of the backlog. Sure, it would have been great to get 5 yr STEM provision extended to 10 yrs, but with that you will still get the benefit from other provisions in the bill, which will probably have the same affect. If are waiting for long then you probably already have approved labor certification. So you would have not benefited as much from not having to file for labor cert. You could have benefited from numerical exemption from visa number, but then there will be ample of visas if these four provisions from Senate bill can survive the conference.

Guys, please, we know we did not get everything we wanted. But nobody got everything that they wanted. We have to get over the things we could not get in the Senate, and work to get those provisions in the House bill and Conference. Look at the bright side. Senate bill is a Great bill to address backlogs. The good provisions in the Senate bill will help reduce backlogs.

Last edited by Administrator2; 06-27-2013 at 06:04 PM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute Murthy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Every IV member must agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator2 View Post
Please allow me to clarify. The bill has many good provisions that we have advocated for the last decade. Infact some of the provisions in the bill were championed by us, long before anyone knew that such changes are necessary. In that sense, we got a lot out of the bill. Yes, we did not get everything that we wanted. That's why there is House bill, and then conference committee. We all just need to continue to keep the pressure if you want to see more positive changes to be added to the bill. It may be difficult for many folks to understand but the most consequential will be Conference committee. That is where most of these changes/fixes will be added. We just need to bring in more energy into the system if we really want to see these changes.

These together will be able to resolve good part of the backlog. Sure, it would have been great to get 5 yr STEM provision extended to 10 yrs, but with that you will still get the benefit from other provisions in the bill, which will probably have the same affect. If are waiting for long then you probably already have approved labor certification. So you would have not benefited as much from not having to file for labor cert. You could have benefited from numerical exemption from visa number, but then there will be ample of visas if these four provisions from Senate bill can survive the conference.

Guys, please, we know we did not get everything we wanted. But nobody got everything that they wanted. We have to get over the things we could not get in the Senate, and work to get those provisions in the House bill and Conference. Look at the bright side. Senate bill is a Great bill to address backlogs. The good provisions in the Senate bill will help reduce backlogs.
Aman: As long as these 4 important items are preserved until it becomes law,we should be happy and satisfied.I believe it is almost certain we are not getting Warren's 1532 amendment .Still we should not get disappointed and loose energy. As Aman has informed we must preserve our 4 important achievements and work with more energy.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute
Default just fyi

Factbox: Scenarios for immigration legislation

Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator2 View Post

Aman - agreed and again awesome job. Thanks! We were calling senators not just for 5yr amendment, but bill in general. Waiting for next action items...

On other hand, can you please clarify your 4th point listed above: Is all STEM from US university exempt from PERM labor certification or only STEM in last 5yrs...

Also, is there a plan to push Warren type amendment with some congressman in House?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramap is a jewel in the rough ramap is a jewel in the rough ramap is a jewel in the rough
Default $200

Thanks IV
Another $200 donated
Transaction ID: 3E398793XA153691H

Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-09
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cyrilg is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Thank you IV

We've made progress. Thanks a lot for IV's hard work and every members support.
Lets continue the good work and see the bill becomes law such that it favors us.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
devasuresh can only hope to improve
Default House seems following peacemeal approach: Passed HR 2131 Skill Act in House Comitee

It seems house is following Peace-Meal approach on immigration reform.

HR 2131 with 50,000 visas for STEM and removal country is approved in House Judiciary Comitee

House Judiciary Committee Approves High-Skilled Immigration Bill

Statement of House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte

Do we have any action items on this just in

Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
somberi is infamous around these parts somberi is infamous around these parts somberi is infamous around these parts somberi is infamous around these parts somberi is infamous around these parts somberi is infamous around these parts
Default PERM Processing time..

Dear Friends,

first off let me congratulate one and all and especially IV on the passage of this bill in the senate. In the backdrop of this and the expected forward movement in the august visa bulleting, can we have an action item to deal with the perm processing times. this is currently taking upwards of 5 months. When PERM started in 2005, he promise of PERM was 15 days. it has usually been about 3 months, but these days it is upwards of 5 months.

suggesting this since this is likely to be a short quiet period before the house dliberations start in earnestand it is in IV's interest also to have a constant stream of action items to keep the troops marshalled...This is also something that would have universal appeal and not just for ppl form certain countries..

Cheers

Old 06-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Aman - agreed and again awesome job. Thanks! We were calling senators not just for 5yr amendment, but bill in general. Waiting for next action items...

On other hand, can you please clarify your 4th point listed above: Is all STEM from US university exempt from PERM labor certification or only STEM in last 5yrs...

Also, is there a plan to push Warren type amendment with some congressman in House?
I apologize, should have noted clearly. As of now, 4th provision means

> STEM exemption from labor certification and numerical count if the priority date is within 5 years of earning STEM degree.

We will continue to push for provisions that are inclusive of long backlogged skilled immigrants. But to get this done, please engage more friends, colleagues, neighbors etc. This can be done if enough people step-up. We got the amendment introduced, and will try to get that on the House side as well. But will need everyone to recruit and engage more people.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by somberi View Post
Dear Friends,

first off let me congratulate one and all and especially IV on the passage of this bill in the senate. In the backdrop of this and the expected forward movement in the august visa bulleting, can we have an action item to deal with the perm processing times. this is currently taking upwards of 5 months. When PERM started in 2005, he promise of PERM was 15 days. it has usually been about 3 months, but these days it is upwards of 5 months.

suggesting this since this is likely to be a short quiet period before the house dliberations start in earnestand it is in IV's interest also to have a constant stream of action items to keep the troops marshalled...This is also something that would have universal appeal and not just for ppl form certain countries..

Cheers
Firstly there is no official commitment or any document that says government promised PERM in 15 days. Can you point to any proof?

Even if you get PERM in one day , you will still be stuck for many months in I140 and then many years in I485. So it does not really make sense to focus on reducing PERM wait times from 90 days to 30 days. You may have a unique personal situation but it is actually least of the worry. You have just started your greencard process and you are only thinking about PERM. You have no idea what lies ahead. The wait times will be unbearable for you as you move ahead in your greencard application.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute LglImi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imh1b View Post
Firstly there is no official commitment or any document that says government promised PERM in 15 days. Can you point to any proof?

Even if you get PERM in one day , you will still be stuck for many months in I140 and then many years in I485. So it does not really make sense to focus on reducing PERM wait times from 90 days to 30 days. You may have a unique personal situation but it is actually least of the worry. You have just started your greencard process and you are only thinking about PERM. You have no idea what lies ahead. The wait times will be unbearable for you as you move ahead in your greencard application.
Can you please elaborate how his situation is a unique situation?? "All" high skilled immigrants whose PERM is being filed is taking 5-6 months. Looks like your PERM is filed - and now everybody becomes a unique situation for you....stop the hipocracy.

YES, it does matter 1 day Vs 5-6 months in PERM "decision" - because decision can be negative and skilled immigrant need to look for alternatives on the elimited time he has on H1B Visa. Your PERM is approved doesnt mean everybody's is approved....

Old 06-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute imh1b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Can you please elaborate how his situation is a unique situation?? "All" high skilled immigrants whose PERM is being filed is taking 5-6 months. Looks like your PERM is filed - and now everybody becomes a unique situation for you....stop the hipocracy.

YES, it does matter 1 day Vs 5-6 months in PERM "decision" - because decision can be negative and skilled immigrant need to look for alternatives on the elimited time he has on H1B Visa. Your PERM is approved doesnt mean everybody's is approved....
If PERM is important to you then you and Sombari can team up and get it reduced from 90 days to 1 day. You can travel, meet Senators, USCIS etc. It is actually a good thing and you will help other people like you. For me CIR is important. Removing the I485 backlog is the most important issue why greencard takes years and decade. PERM is not the reason for backlog.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by imh1b View Post
If PERM is important to you then you and Sombari can team up and get it reduced from 90 days to 1 day. You can travel, meet Senators, USCIS etc. It is actually a good thing and you will help other people like you. For me CIR is important. Removing the I485 backlog is the most important issue why greencard takes years and decade. PERM is not the reason for backlog.
And backlog is not the only reason for issues faced by skilled immigrants. Again, stop the hipocracy, your PERM is approved donot mean everybody's is...

Old 06-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/20/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute GCOP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks to Aman & IV team

Thanks to Aman & IV team for our provisions included in the base bill AND for nonstop efforts to get amendments included.
Although we were not successful to get our amendments included. But Aman & IV team have tried everything they could. Thanks for Commendable Efforts.
Thanks a lot,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Participated in Advocacy Efforts in Wasington DC, in April 2011 & Jan.2012
Participated in DC Rally in 2007 , All Action Items & Contributed also.