Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute
Post Subject: Recruiting for Focus Groups for a Study of the H-1B Program Feb. 11-13

I got the following email from my Attorneys today & have signed up for this study. They are looking for more participants

We were approached by the Mathematica Policy Research and the Migration Policy Institute (MPI) to help identify employers and employees who may want to participate in a study that they are conducting. They are attempting to create a focus group in the Bay Area next week—whether they do so or not will depend on the level of response they get back. This may be a good opportunity for you to voice your concerns with regards to the process itself. Please see below for a fuller description and who to contact to participate. This is not part of J&H but rather an opportunity to be heard. Also, there is no promise that your participate will create change—but it may.

Mathematica Policy Research and the Migration Policy Institute (MPI) are conducting a study of the H-1B program funded by the research arm of the U.S. Immigration and Citizenship Services (USCIS). The purpose of the study is to help USCIS: (1) obtain external stakeholder perspectives on the H-1B adjudication process and develop recommendations for adjustments to that process; and (2) better understand the dynamics of high-skilled labor markets in the United States in order to anticipate future demand and make program adjustments within their authority.

To conduct the study, we are looking for participants in two separate focus groups in the Silicon Valley/San Francisco metro area. One focus group will consist of H-1B employers; the other will consist of current and former H-1B employees. The focus groups will be held in the Silicon Valley/San Francisco metro area sometime between February 11 and 13, depending on participants’ availability. Each focus group will last about 90 minutes.

What are the main questions that will be asked of H-1B employer participants:

How are decisions made to recruit and hire H-1B workers; the process of recruiting H-1B workers; the process of petitioning for H-1B workers: smoothest and most challenging parts of the process; recommendations for improving the H-1B petition process and petition processes for high-skilled nonimmigrant workers more generally. Finally, demand for high-skilled workers by the employer and their industry; trends in these demands; and likely demand for H-1B workers in the future.

What are the main questions that will be asked of H-1B beneficiary participants:

Reasons for coming to the US on an H-1B and reasons for coming initially (if not on an H-1B); how were they recruited for the H-1B position; the process of petitioning for H-1B status: smoothest and most challenging parts of the process; recommendations for improving the H-1B petition process. Finally, plans to stay in the United States with extension of H-1B status or application for other temporary or permanent residency.

All information/insight provided at the focus groups will be confidential and not attributed to participants. Participants can choose not to reveal their company affiliation, their last name, or can choose an alias. The research unit of the USCIS is sponsoring this study, and no part of it will be shared with any enforcement or adjudication units of USCIS or any other agency of the DHS or any other government agency.

I believe this is an opportunity for employers and employees to provide constructive input that could benefit H-1B adjudication procedures. I hope you will participate.

To participate in a focus group, or if you have any questions, please contact:
Randy Capps
Senior Policy Analyst
Migration Policy Institute
Washington DC
202-266-1938
rcapps@migrationpolicy.org

Thanks,
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2014, 10:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute netbacker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here's their response when I signed up

Thank you so much for your interest. Following are times and locations of the planned groups:

Santa Clara – Tuesday 2/11 around 6:30pm (likely at the Marriot or the Embassy Suites)

San Francisco – Wednesday 2/12 around 6:30pm (likely at the Marriott JW Union )

Groups will last approximately 90 minutes.

I am copying the study team at Mathematica who can provide more details.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
Post And the response from Mathematica, thats doing the study

Thank you so much for your interest in our study and focus groups in the San Francisco/Santa Clara area. I’m writing to follow up on Randy’s email, with a little more information about the study.

Mathematica Policy Research and the Migration Policy Institute (MPI) are conducting a study of the H-1B program funded by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The purpose of the study is to help USCIS: 1) obtain external stakeholder perspectives on the H-1B petition process and develop recommendations to improve that process; and 2) better understand the dynamics of high-skilled labor markets in the United States in order to anticipate future demand and make program adjustments. Attached please find more details about the study.

We are holding focus group discussions with H-1B beneficiaries in the San Francisco/Santa Clara areas, to understand their perspectives on these topics. The groups will be confidential in that we will not ask people to identify themselves by their full names (we would ask for first names only) nor the name of their company or organization (we would only ask for the general sector or industry in which they work). This information will also not appear in any materials produced for the study or be shared with USCIS. Participants will receive a $25 gift card in appreciation for their time, and light refreshments will be served.

If you can participate, we have just a few brief screening questions to ask you to help us prepare for the group. Is there a convenient time when someone could call you to ask these questions? My colleague, Angela (copied), or I can follow up with a phone call whenever you have about 5-10 minutes to talk. (Please reply to both of us, as I won’t be in the office tomorrow).

Additionally, if you have any other contacts who are H-1B beneficiaries, we would be interested in involving them in the focus group as well. Please feel free to pass this information on to anyone who might be interested in joining a focus group for this study.

Thank you again for your interest!

Best,
Mary Anne
Mary Anne Anderson [MAAnderson@mathematica-mpr.com]

Old 02-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all

Isn't Migration Policy Institute against H1B visa and people coming India? If I can recollect, wasn't Migration Policy Institute working with Ron Hira who is opposed to people coming to US on H1B visa?

Most studies have predetermined outcome. Are you just looking for guinea pigs so the study will ask us all legal skilled immigrants waiting for green cards to leave?

I live in Bay Area but want to know about your agenda before I can decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbacker View Post
I got the following email from my Attorneys today & have signed up for this study. They are looking for more participants

We were approached by the Mathematica Policy Research and the Migration Policy Institute (MPI) to help identify employers and employees who may want to participate in a study that they are conducting. They are attempting to create a focus group in the Bay Area next week—whether they do so or not will depend on the level of response they get back. This may be a good opportunity for you to voice your concerns with regards to the process itself. Please see below for a fuller description and who to contact to participate. This is not part of J&H but rather an opportunity to be heard. Also, there is no promise that your participate will create change—but it may.

Mathematica Policy Research and the Migration Policy Institute (MPI) are conducting a study of the H-1B program funded by the research arm of the U.S. Immigration and Citizenship Services (USCIS). The purpose of the study is to help USCIS: (1) obtain external stakeholder perspectives on the H-1B adjudication process and develop recommendations for adjustments to that process; and (2) better understand the dynamics of high-skilled labor markets in the United States in order to anticipate future demand and make program adjustments within their authority.

To conduct the study, we are looking for participants in two separate focus groups in the Silicon Valley/San Francisco metro area. One focus group will consist of H-1B employers; the other will consist of current and former H-1B employees. The focus groups will be held in the Silicon Valley/San Francisco metro area sometime between February 11 and 13, depending on participants’ availability. Each focus group will last about 90 minutes.

What are the main questions that will be asked of H-1B employer participants:

How are decisions made to recruit and hire H-1B workers; the process of recruiting H-1B workers; the process of petitioning for H-1B workers: smoothest and most challenging parts of the process; recommendations for improving the H-1B petition process and petition processes for high-skilled nonimmigrant workers more generally. Finally, demand for high-skilled workers by the employer and their industry; trends in these demands; and likely demand for H-1B workers in the future.

What are the main questions that will be asked of H-1B beneficiary participants:

Reasons for coming to the US on an H-1B and reasons for coming initially (if not on an H-1B); how were they recruited for the H-1B position; the process of petitioning for H-1B status: smoothest and most challenging parts of the process; recommendations for improving the H-1B petition process. Finally, plans to stay in the United States with extension of H-1B status or application for other temporary or permanent residency.

All information/insight provided at the focus groups will be confidential and not attributed to participants. Participants can choose not to reveal their company affiliation, their last name, or can choose an alias. The research unit of the USCIS is sponsoring this study, and no part of it will be shared with any enforcement or adjudication units of USCIS or any other agency of the DHS or any other government agency.

I believe this is an opportunity for employers and employees to provide constructive input that could benefit H-1B adjudication procedures. I hope you will participate.

To participate in a focus group, or if you have any questions, please contact:
Randy Capps
Senior Policy Analyst
Migration Policy Institute
Washington DC
202-266-1938
rcapps@migrationpolicy.org

Thanks,

Old 02-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
Default I am just the messenger and an H1-B waitng in AoS for last 6 years

abcdgc - They have scheduled a pre-screening call with me today at 4:00pm. I will have more info on what their agenda is and if they are pro or against H1-Bs

thanks

Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
Default Did the pre-screening call

Looks like USCIS is the one who initiated this study, at least that was she told me and they are neutral to the issue & only doing the data collection.
They are looking for more volunteers for this study and asked me to reach out to other current H1-Bs and those who were on H1-b before for this inputs.