Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute dkshitij has a reputation beyond repute

Obama Immigration Orders Said to Include Parents of Citizens - Bloomberg

This bloomberg article mentions OPT relief for legals. No other relief for legals is mentioned. It conjectures order to be issued on Thursday.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2014, 10:15 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gten View Post
Thank you for all your efforts. It's been awfully quiet here, especially when immigration admin fixes is in the news everyday.
As you may have noticed, we have been evolving and moving away from forum style back-and-forth because it is not productive for Advocacy efforts. In our experience, forum style is be good for personal immigration application issue discussion, but not for Advocacy.

Things are quiet on the forum not because things are not being worked behind the scene. Things are quiet on the forum because we prefer it that way over people ranting anonymously without productively participating. Hope this helps.

In case you are interested, here is a newsletter that was sent out today:

Update on Administrative Fixes

Old 11-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
pak has a reputation beyond repute pak has a reputation beyond repute pak has a reputation beyond repute pak has a reputation beyond repute pak has a reputation beyond repute pak has a reputation beyond repute pak has a reputation beyond repute pak has a reputation beyond repute pak has a reputation beyond repute pak has a reputation beyond repute pak has a reputation beyond repute

Immigration Voice Newsletter: 11/19/2014

November 19, 2014 at 7:59am
Dear Friends,

As many of you may have heard, President Obama’s administration is planning to announce immigration relief in the form of administrative reform in the next few days. While the exact details are unknown at this time, there are some specific reforms that we have requested (http://goo.gl/Cfg70C) the White House and the Department of Homeland Security’s policy makers for the skilled immigration system. We expect that many of these reforms are likely to be included in the package that is announced. This announcement may come as early as this week.

In addition to recapture of unused green cards and EAD for H-4 visa holders, Immigration Voice has pushed for many different quality of life fixes to the system. We expect that a combination of the following fixes, in some variation, will be announced very soon by the administration.
  1. Allow applicant to submit and DHS to receive Adjustment of Status application when a visa number is not available.
  2. Providing clarity to current law by clearly defining "Same or Similar Occupation Classification".
  3. Providing the immigration case related paperwork to the beneficiary by USCIS and Department of Labor. Currently, immigrants do not have access to their own immigration paper work making them beholden to the employers, skewing the labor market.
  4. Improving the system so that immigrants are not required to re-file and start employment based visa process all over again every time they change employer. This aspect of the system is being excessively abused by bad employers in marketplace to coerce and threaten immigrant employees from changing jobs, resulting in employee exploitation and preventing labor mobility.
  5. Allow porting of Priority Date between primary applicant's Employment Based green card petition and Spouse's Employment Based green card petition.
  6. Making Visa Bulletin 'Current' allowing applicants to adjust status.
  7. Providing clarity for allowing immigrants to start companies and work for their own companies on Optional Practical Training (OPT), Employment Authorization Document (EAD) pending Adjustment of Status and H1-B visas, without impractical restrictions that are not required by the existing law.
  8. Grant automatic extensions for 240 days of Work Authorization and Advance Parole if extension was filed prior to expiry of Work Authorization or Advance Parole.
We know that when we are restricted from freely moving in the market between employers and positions due to green card delays, it limits our potential to grow. It also binds us to our sponsoring employers and makes us more attractive as employees in hi-tech industry where employee turnover is high and employee retention is tough. Because of the unfair competition created by long green card backlogs, a US citizen cannot compete on a level playing field against an immigrant who is bonded to his or her employer. Freeing people to move between employers and positions helps us grow; level the playing field for US citizens for fair competition and is beneficial to overall economy. The same rationale applies to the less skills labor market largely filled in by the undocumented immigrants.

It is extremely important for us as a community of skilled immigrants to stand shoulder to shoulder alongside our brothers and sisters who are undocumented but have contributed to the economy of their adopted homeland, just like we have. It is very easy to get mired in the bristling politics of the issue, but we must keep in mind that the relief announced for the undocumented is long overdue and well deserved just like the relief that is announced for us. We have to stand in support of the administrative reform package when we talk to friends, colleagues, social media, press, public forums and policy makers – and speak with one voice. Making incendiary comments is not only wrong from moral perspective, it is also bad politics.

Although it is very easy to preach the virtue of the lawfulness, we have to remember that most of us, directly or indirectly, benefit from undocumented immigration. The very agitators, who might want to deport everyone, are the ones who live in houses that are built by undocumented immigrants; buy produce picked by undocumented immigrants and stay in hotel rooms maintained by the very undocumented immigrants they want to deport. They all reap benefits of cheap, exploited and helpless undocumented immigrants and yet refuse to let them be a part our society, just as skilled workers. We have to be careful and not get carried away by the tsunami of this hypocritical rant that is expected to follow the administrative reform.

As always, we will do our best to keep you informed as we hear more from policy makers and we thank you for your support and dedication to your noble cause.

Stay connected to know more and don't forget to contribute (http://donations.immigrationvoice.org)!

Aman Kapoor
Immigration Voice
www.ImmigrationVoice.org

Old 11-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of
Default Coming Friday at Vegas --Obama to announce on Friday

Obama to announce immigration order in Las Vegas on Friday

Cheers
Shining

Old 11-19-2014, 12:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of

“We hear there will be a prime time Thursday evening announcement (to preview) and full unveiling in Vegas on Friday,” AFL-CIO spokesman Jeff Hauser wrote in an e-mail, which was inadvertently sent to a group of reporters Wednesday morning. “Can folks begin to work and plan watch parties for Thursday and/or Friday? Unclear whether Thursday night content will be what is "celebratory", but Friday will be where we need a lot of energy guaranteed.”

Cheers Shining

Old 11-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future

Thanks Aman and the entire IV organization for all the backchannel work. Almost counting down hours now to Friday..

Old 11-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/13/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bikram_das_in has a reputation beyond repute bikram_das_in has a reputation beyond repute bikram_das_in has a reputation beyond repute bikram_das_in has a reputation beyond repute bikram_das_in has a reputation beyond repute bikram_das_in has a reputation beyond repute bikram_das_in has a reputation beyond repute bikram_das_in has a reputation beyond repute bikram_das_in has a reputation beyond repute bikram_das_in has a reputation beyond repute bikram_das_in has a reputation beyond repute
Default Big day

Obama to address immigration Thursday night

How long does it take for executive order to take effect once it is signed?

Old 11-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikram_das_in View Post
Obama to address immigration Thursday night

How long does it take for executive order to take effect once it is signed?
One step at time. Lets first digest this historic event. This is most significant immigration related event for over a decade.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pak View Post
Immigration Voice Newsletter: 11/19/2014

November 19, 2014 at 7:59am
Dear Friends,

As many of you may have heard, President Obama’s administration is planning to announce immigration relief in the form of administrative reform in the next few days. While the exact details are unknown at this time, there are some specific reforms that we have requested (http://goo.gl/Cfg70C) the White House and the Department of Homeland Security’s policy makers for the skilled immigration system. We expect that many of these reforms are likely to be included in the package that is announced. This announcement may come as early as this week.

In addition to recapture of unused green cards and EAD for H-4 visa holders, Immigration Voice has pushed for many different quality of life fixes to the system. We expect that a combination of the following fixes, in some variation, will be announced very soon by the administration.

www.ImmigrationVoice.org

With all the above 8 points I am still unable to get how the process is going to reduce time for people who are already been waiting from 2003? I think I am missing something here. Can some one explain? I could allow people who missed 2007 train to be on board again, but that would just give EAD and nothing much. It's been 7 years and extending EAD after EAD every time. I see no end to the process.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay View Post
With all the above 8 points I am still unable to get how the process is going to reduce time for people who are already been waiting from 2003? I think I am missing something here. Can some one explain? I could allow people who missed 2007 train to be on board again, but that would just give EAD and nothing much. It's been 7 years and extending EAD after EAD every time. I see no end to the process.

Bulletin will become current for most -hopefully all

Old 11-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute spulugur has a reputation beyond repute

(5) using's Spouse's priority date also helps with chipping away at the backlog.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shining View Post
Bulletin will become current for most -hopefully all
That's what I was asking. If visa bulletin becomes current, how is it going to reduce the current back log? Had this Visa bulletin did not become current in July, 07?

What is there in EO to reduce the current backlog?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
That's what I was asking. If visa bulletin becomes current, how is it going to reduce the current back log? Had this Visa bulletin did not become current in July, 07?

What is there in EO to reduce the current backlog?
July 07 was a fiasco and an error--now, that unused visas are made available and if dependents are not counted it increases the number makes the numbers current and clears the backlog-

Old 11-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/31/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Compare
dpuranik has much to be proud of dpuranik has much to be proud of dpuranik has much to be proud of dpuranik has much to be proud of dpuranik has much to be proud of dpuranik has much to be proud of dpuranik has much to be proud of dpuranik has much to be proud of

Quote:
People waiting from 2003 have to wait few more years even their date is current, because USCIS have to process 5 million+ EAD & AP now.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Priority Date
:
May-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute pd052011 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpuranik View Post
People waiting from 2003 have to wait few more years even their date is current, because USCIS have to process 5 million+ EAD & AP now.
True. It seems like I am one of the cynics. I do not think the EO will have any provisions for legals. Maybe just the H4 work permit and increased H1s but thats it.

I sure would like to be pleasantly surprised tomorrow.