Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
2008candid is a glorious beacon of light 2008candid is a glorious beacon of light 2008candid is a glorious beacon of light 2008candid is a glorious beacon of light 2008candid is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupen View Post
I understand your frustration that there is nothing in terms of green cards. This IV had told long time back but we were reluctant to accept because of what we were seeing in various news reports.

Having said that, let's also realize what we are getting is not small thing. Getting EAD for thousands of people stuck in green card backlog is a giant step forward from current situation. And it is just not ead, there are some provisions which will make existing ead provisions better like redefining "same or similar occupations", not having to restart green card process again when employer is changed. These provisions will ensure proprt job mobility and remove indebtitude currently present.

Let's be apreciative of what we are getting and congratulate IV for that because everyone else was focused on illusioned green cards when IV picked up these important things which could be done
People are getting frustrated because of they are not getting what they expected. I never seen IV mentioned that GC will be available to all EB categories with EO, instead IV always remind G.C is not possible with EO. We are reading from different forums and other forums giving false hope. I think if we get what IV has lobbied for is a giant step, this is same like G.C only issue I see is our kids won't get higher education loan as G.C holders.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
thokkalohdi is infamous around these parts

I am a silent reader. Not a contributor due to my other beliefs. But, one thing i constantly see on this forum is about how less people show up for events and how less the funding is for this Advocacy.

One thing i do see is how organizations like TANA, ATA, BATA raise millions of dollars and conduct star-studded events and the attendance is in 1000s. I saw that 5000 people turned up to play "dandia" for SEF event in bay area with a entree fee on a average of 50$ per head.

So i believe that its not like Indian based EB applicants dont put down money or dont show up for events. That indicates that there is a huge gap between the expectation of immigration advocacy groups and understanding of "Advocacy strategy" among 1000s of applicants.

I want to know does IV partner with cultural organizations like TANA, ATA, BATA, etc to raise funds? Do you use that platform to talk about "Advocacy"?

Old 11-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_ramani View Post
Finally, we come to know that there is nothing substantial for legal immigrants especially those affected by back logs and this administration has sold message to advocacy groups that undocumented immigrants cause is more important than legal immigrants.

Also tech companies under the cover must have lobbied not to have any meaningful reform to clear back logs. This country needs indentured workers to ensure that political parties and companies work hand in hand to make profits and make life of potential immigrants miserable.

Please don't tell me that we need to work with local congressman and senators and participate in advocacy. I have done that in the past and have seen how that has played out.

We have been cornered and I don't see anyone really interested in allowing to solve our problems. Probably a couple of Indian - American senators. A wild imagination!!

For anyone who is upset that recapture and/or dependent's exemption is not part of executive order:

Please read first post of this thread from over 3 months ago. And if you have time, read through rest of this thread. We have repeatedly shared that recapture and/or dependent's exemption is very difficult or rather outside of the realm of Executive Order.

If you have read lawyer's websites or other forms and somehow developed a notion that recapture and/or dependent's exemption is happening, then that is purely your fault. You can hear what you read in lawyer predictions or waste your time gossiping online. Or you can know the truth. Every day you make that choice for yourself. From how we see things, if you are upset, then it is your fault because in spite of our effort to share what was going on in the background, you have not done your homework to see through all the bullshit that was going around for months now.

Morale of the story

You can choose to waste your time loitering around forums or lawyers websites reading what you want to hear and what they want you to hear. Or you can participate in meaningful Advocacy. For a bill that will show up in next May 2015, that next round of effort is starting now. NO ONE can show up in May expecting to parachute their provision in the final bill just when it is about to be passed. If you want to see things change then get involved now. And please stop wasting your time reading prediction of lawyers or gossiping on online forums. You can do better than that. When a bill is passing on the House or Senate floor, or when EO contents are decided, we see some people start online petitions at that time. This is not insane behavior because for anyone who wants to make this country as your permanent home, people have to invest some time to learn how the system works. For if we decide not to invest that time, then we are guilty of not living up to our expectation.

Sorry Arun, to repeated this over and over again, but meeting with “local congressman and senators and participate in advocacy” is the only way. Advocacy is hard and it takes time. But that is the only way to fix the issue.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the link to first post of this thread if you haven't had a chance to read that until now:
Possible Administrative Fixes - Filtering facts from fiction - Immigration Voice (Possible Administrative Fixes - Filtering facts from fiction)

Old 11-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sengs is on a distinguished road

NPR just announced that provision of business visa only includes "…… expansion of work visa for foreign graduates of US universities. President is leaving the rest for the Congress to work on. Business groups expected a recapture of unused visas, but according to WSJ that is not happening".

I don't know I will be happy or sad, because frankly I really don't think that media understands anything about legal immigration fiasco. I would rather wait to hear it straight from the horse's mouth, although my expectations are zero.

Thank you IV admin again, because whatever we will be getting today, big or small, would not have been possible without you.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:41 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
gcbikari has a reputation beyond repute gcbikari has a reputation beyond repute gcbikari has a reputation beyond repute gcbikari has a reputation beyond repute gcbikari has a reputation beyond repute gcbikari has a reputation beyond repute gcbikari has a reputation beyond repute gcbikari has a reputation beyond repute gcbikari has a reputation beyond repute gcbikari has a reputation beyond repute gcbikari has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently waiting for my nth EAD renewal, about to expire very shortly. I am greatly benefited if 240 day rule comes into affect. I won't complain for not getting GS immediately but understand IV and thank for your efforts. So if the EO is released, is it affective immediately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pak View Post
Immigration Voice Newsletter: 11/19/2014

November 19, 2014 at 7:59am
Dear Friends,

As many of you may have heard, President Obama’s administration is planning to announce immigration relief in the form of administrative reform in the next few days. While the exact details are unknown at this time, there are some specific reforms that we have requested (http://goo.gl/Cfg70C) the White House and the Department of Homeland Security’s policy makers for the skilled immigration system. We expect that many of these reforms are likely to be included in the package that is announced. This announcement may come as early as this week.

In addition to recapture of unused green cards and EAD for H-4 visa holders, Immigration Voice has pushed for many different quality of life fixes to the system. We expect that a combination of the following fixes, in some variation, will be announced very soon by the administration.
  1. Allow applicant to submit and DHS to receive Adjustment of Status application when a visa number is not available.
  2. Providing clarity to current law by clearly defining "Same or Similar Occupation Classification".
  3. Providing the immigration case related paperwork to the beneficiary by USCIS and Department of Labor. Currently, immigrants do not have access to their own immigration paper work making them beholden to the employers, skewing the labor market.
  4. Improving the system so that immigrants are not required to re-file and start employment based visa process all over again every time they change employer. This aspect of the system is being excessively abused by bad employers in marketplace to coerce and threaten immigrant employees from changing jobs, resulting in employee exploitation and preventing labor mobility.
  5. Allow porting of Priority Date between primary applicant's Employment Based green card petition and Spouse's Employment Based green card petition.
  6. Making Visa Bulletin 'Current' allowing applicants to adjust status.
  7. Providing clarity for allowing immigrants to start companies and work for their own companies on Optional Practical Training (OPT), Employment Authorization Document (EAD) pending Adjustment of Status and H1-B visas, without impractical restrictions that are not required by the existing law.
  8. Grant automatic extensions for 240 days of Work Authorization and Advance Parole if extension was filed prior to expiry of Work Authorization or Advance Parole.
We know that when we are restricted from freely moving in the market between employers and positions due to green card delays, it limits our potential to grow. It also binds us to our sponsoring employers and makes us more attractive as employees in hi-tech industry where employee turnover is high and employee retention is tough. Because of the unfair competition created by long green card backlogs, a US citizen cannot compete on a level playing field against an immigrant who is bonded to his or her employer. Freeing people to move between employers and positions helps us grow; level the playing field for US citizens for fair competition and is beneficial to overall economy. The same rationale applies to the less skills labor market largely filled in by the undocumented immigrants.

It is extremely important for us as a community of skilled immigrants to stand shoulder to shoulder alongside our brothers and sisters who are undocumented but have contributed to the economy of their adopted homeland, just like we have. It is very easy to get mired in the bristling politics of the issue, but we must keep in mind that the relief announced for the undocumented is long overdue and well deserved just like the relief that is announced for us. We have to stand in support of the administrative reform package when we talk to friends, colleagues, social media, press, public forums and policy makers – and speak with one voice. Making incendiary comments is not only wrong from moral perspective, it is also bad politics.

Although it is very easy to preach the virtue of the lawfulness, we have to remember that most of us, directly or indirectly, benefit from undocumented immigration. The very agitators, who might want to deport everyone, are the ones who live in houses that are built by undocumented immigrants; buy produce picked by undocumented immigrants and stay in hotel rooms maintained by the very undocumented immigrants they want to deport. They all reap benefits of cheap, exploited and helpless undocumented immigrants and yet refuse to let them be a part our society, just as skilled workers. We have to be careful and not get carried away by the tsunami of this hypocritical rant that is expected to follow the administrative reform.

As always, we will do our best to keep you informed as we hear more from policy makers and we thank you for your support and dedication to your noble cause.

Stay connected to know more and don't forget to contribute (http://donations.immigrationvoice.org)!

Aman Kapoor
Immigration Voice
www.ImmigrationVoice.org
Contributed $50 for HR3012 campaign in Feb 2012.
Contributed $50 for April 2011 Advocacy day event.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of aj2000 has much to be proud of

Thank you for being a saint. God bless you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalimmi11 View Post
Totally agree with Admin. You guys have amazing patience to explain each impatient and selfish individual who just care about his/her case. They don't care about community and future generation or some other folks who can get big relief from some of these fixes. This is such a historic development and high skilled people in this forum are behaving in such a cynical way.

I would suggest you to ignore these guys and posts. thanks once again !!

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute amit_sp has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Admin, I echo what legalimmi11 said. You guys have been doing a fantastic job all these years and most of the people are grateful to you. I got my GC mid of this year after almost 11 years but I am still a regular visitor and lifetime supporter. My sincere wishes for all the impacted people!!!

Old 11-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Pragneshs has a brilliant future Pragneshs has a brilliant future Pragneshs has a brilliant future Pragneshs has a brilliant future Pragneshs has a brilliant future Pragneshs has a brilliant future Pragneshs has a brilliant future Pragneshs has a brilliant future Pragneshs has a brilliant future Pragneshs has a brilliant future Pragneshs has a brilliant future
Default @amit_sp

that's a great feedback for IV and I myself am a silent reader in this forum but let me tell everyone something. I was late in IV Advocacy efforts, however I did not miss single Advocacy in this year and my experience is amazing. I would say that people who are reading in other forums, media and Lawyers Website do not have direct relation with WH/DHS and I realized this the moment I became an active member in IV. I know what is coming now and what we should do as an individual.

I encourage everyone of you to fight for our G.C battle no matter what is the EO announcement today as if we are successful in a milestone then I think we have final milestone to go and imagine the power as a common man you will have once you have your EAD. we should unite, stand together and flood the whole HR/Senate building with people like us who want G.C in next Advocacy event.

Let me tell you a fact while I was in one of the Advocacy event, we meet thousands of group from one country fighting for their rights to help them even though they are migrated into this country and there voices were heard. not because they did advocacy but because the impact was so huge that they had to ACT.

I believe that whatever roadblocks we have for G.C can only be achieved by Legislative Action and I am no expert but thanks to the training of IV to give me the right Knowledge on how this system works and what it takes to change this system. imagine if you were in india the only solution is bribe, and on contrary the only solution in U.S is to STAND UP.

Lets unite together, come forward for next Advocacy Event and come in full force and demand for what we want and I AM 100% CONFIDENT we will get what we want in our final MILESTONE.

I also would encourage everyone to stop saying anything negative as we are inching closer to our goal and we are just waiting for a great American THANKSGIVING gift, lets appreciate all the hard work IV has done and celebrate it by uniting together in next Advocacy to get what we want. Trust me the more the merrier and the larger the impact, faster is our resolution.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sengs is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks for the encouraging words. Let us keep our hopes up. Few more hours to go.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute dhakaldoo has a reputation beyond repute

To all those who are frustrated, Angry and are posting negative messages here on forum :
If you would have used this anger and came out to previous advocacies that would have been more beneficial. (Don’t tell me you did come to DC as if you had, then you wouldn’t post such messages)

Undocumented workers don’t have money neither do they have legal status. But so many of these keep showing up and meeting with congress and White house. If you come to think of it, it must take a lot of courage, keeping fear of getting arrested aside! It is do or die situation for them.
May be it is not a do or die situation for us. That’s why most of us prefer coming on this forum anonymously and post their rant and go away. When it comes to going to DC or donating money or being active at the local level, very very few people show up.

I have been a part of IV since 2011. I have seen, when HR 3012 was in works, the number of people attending advocacies was over 100. But as it died, the number reduced to like 30 for the latest advocacy. We need to understand it’s a process. Its not like one time you go to DC your job is done. There is a lot of background work that needs to be done. Its easy to come and say IV didn’t do any thing. If it was up to IV everybody in backlogs would get citizenship by now!

Now about this EO. President can only do limited. Visa recapture, Discounting dependents from visa number count, Removal of country caps, reducing the citizen ship wait time etc NEED congressional action. We really have to be Naïve to think that Just because we want, Obama can and will do all this. This has already been discussed with white house numerous times. But if you come to think, concurrent filing will also help a lot of people. Almost all of us will get EADs. Is that enough ? No! there is a long road ahead till the actual immigration reform is done. Advocacies will begin again. Will I be active? NO because Probably I will have an EAD (Kidding)
We have long way to go! More in terms of getting our lazy community to act than getting actual bills passed! And that is the sad thing!

Old 11-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute gc_check has a reputation beyond repute

I see lots of activities on this site and also similar website / forum just before and after "any" immigration specific announcement, update, etc.. whether or not it includes anything specific to "your" interests or not. Observed this pattern for many years now. Any announcement contains information that is a result of actions from the past and if "we" din't act when the details or put together, there is no point in "whining" on what is there in it, when the announcement is made. If "EB" community needs to see anything specific to them, they must have acted before and not gather after the message is put together. That is what happening with the POTUS Executive Order this time. There are few hundred's acted on time, but this big mountain requires many thousands to move and you can't always expect the few hundreds acted on time will get this done every single time they try.. Folks like IV and other advocated for EB community, though they want, they can't get it done by themselves in real world. They need more hands to join them.

However anything that is in EO that might help any sector of the legal community is a welcome steps forward in my view.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
neodyn55 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've contributed to IV in the past, but I want to do more! I want to directly get involved in the advocacy efforts. How do I get started? I sent messages on Facebook and posts, but I haven't gotten any response. Admin, it would be great if you could put down a few concrete steps on how to get started (beyond just contributing) but actually get boots on the ground.

No matter what happens today, legislative changes are the only thing that is permanent. There's momentum building now and I want to help carry that forward.

Even if nothing happens, I can tell myself that I at least gave it an effort.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future

Some infographic from WH

Infographic: President Obama Is Taking Steps to Fix Our Broken Immigration System | The White House

The one liner regarding legal immigration is upto interpretation though..

Old 11-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
2008candid is a glorious beacon of light 2008candid is a glorious beacon of light 2008candid is a glorious beacon of light 2008candid is a glorious beacon of light 2008candid is a glorious beacon of light
Default Not sure if this true

If this is true, it is really devastating
11/20/2014: Leaked Obama EO Plans Cause a Shock Wave and Rage in the "Legal" Foreign Workers Community

There is a report of the White House site on Obama's immigration executive action plans, which apparently has been leaked, shows that these executive action plans are practically limited to the relief of undocumented immigrants and there will be practically no relief for hightech foreign workers other than expansion of OPT programs and H-4 spouse EAD which has been stalled in the rule-making process pending this so-called Obama EO actions. We will see whether these leaked plans are indeed true White House sites. We will find out soon. Unreal!