Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Moderator
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 782
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhsarp View Post
Great. I will call their offices up and plan a trip. Might as well do a tiny bit to help the cause instead of complaining on the forums.
Thank you.

Keep in mind, the meeting is only the first step. At the meeting the staffer will usually tell you that they understand the problem, will explain the issue to their boss and will ask for a decision on co-sponsorship.

After the meeting, you will need to relentlessly (and politely) followup with the office 1-2 times a week, by phone and email to make sure that they don't forget to get to the point of asking their boss for a decision.

In our experience the followup is key. Most people make the mistake of doing a meeting and thinking the job is done - when infact it has just started.

Expect to followup for 4-6 weeks before you get a decision from the office. Persistence is key.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
  #152 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Moderator
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 782
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhsarp View Post
So how does it work? Should I call in their offices and schedule an appointment to go meet them? Any pointers?
PM me with your email address and phone number. We can do a short call and I will send your some background docs.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #153 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20
uhsarp is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil3182 View Post
PM me with your email address and phone number. We can do a short call and I will send your some background docs.
I've sent you a PM. Thanks!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #154 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2015, 04:38 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20
uhsarp is on a distinguished road
Default

Guys, I was able to score a meeting with one of UT's congressman on July1. Any guidance/help is appreciated to make an effective meeting and to garner his support for the bill. Also I haven't represented Immigration Voice before. So I'll like to know if I need to be initiated or.....
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
  #155 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Moderator
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 782
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhsarp View Post
Guys, I was able to score a meeting with one of UT's congressman on July1. Any guidance/help is appreciated to make an effective meeting and to garner his support for the bill. Also I haven't represented Immigration Voice before. So I'll like to know if I need to be initiated or.....
I sent you an email. We can talk this evening.

Thanks for the effort you are putting in.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #156 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Moderator
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 782
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of
Default

Several people are asking what points they should make when callin their Reps asking for CO-SPONSORHIP:

Points to make are:
1. The extended backlog is creating a shadow workforce with ppl with less rights than Americans who are willing to trade compensation and benifits for job stability to protect their immigration status. This makes employers prefer employees from backlogged countries and puts American Workers at a disadvantage.
2. Contrary to what lobbyists are telling them, H1's cannot start jobs, innovate or contribute to the economy while stuck in backlog. HR.213 is an easy fix for this.
3. HR.213 does not add ANY Green Cards to the system.
4. IF THEY ASK about the impact on ROW, the impact on ROW is estimated to be a uniform 2-3 yr wait. This wait is reasonable and within the 6yrs of the H1.
5. Effects in your personal life.


The reason #1 and #2 are on top of the list because in our experience, framing our problems in terms that have the most impact on Americans delivers the best results. We have been doing this for way too long, so you will have to trust us on this.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
  #157 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2015, 09:32 AM
Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 62
IMNotACommonMan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil3182 View Post
Several people are asking what points they should make when callin their Reps asking for CO-SPONSORHIP:

Points to make are:
1. The extended backlog is creating a shadow workforce with ppl with less rights than Americans who are willing to trade compensation and benifits for job stability to protect their immigration status. This makes employers prefer employees from backlogged countries and puts American Workers at a disadvantage.
2. Contrary to what lobbyists are telling them, H1's cannot start jobs, innovate or contribute to the economy while stuck in backlog. HR.213 is an easy fix for this.
3. HR.213 does not add ANY Green Cards to the system.
4. IF THEY ASK about the impact on ROW, the impact on ROW is estimated to be a uniform 2-3 yr wait. This wait is reasonable and within the 6yrs of the H1.
5. Effects in your personal life.


The reason #1 and #2 are on top of the list because in our experience, framing our problems in terms that have the most impact on Americans delivers the best results. We have been doing this for way too long, so you will have to trust us on this.
Excellent write up, the other day my friend called up his congressman Frank Pallone of NJ6 and these questions came up. They heard him patiently and assured him that they are going to forward his message to the congressman. I would like to thank both the Caller and the Staff member . Come on folks, every call matters.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #158 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20
uhsarp is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil3182 View Post
Several people are asking what points they should make when callin their Reps asking for CO-SPONSORHIP:

Points to make are:
1. The extended backlog is creating a shadow workforce with ppl with less rights than Americans who are willing to trade compensation and benifits for job stability to protect their immigration status. This makes employers prefer employees from backlogged countries and puts American Workers at a disadvantage.
2. Contrary to what lobbyists are telling them, H1's cannot start jobs, innovate or contribute to the economy while stuck in backlog. HR.213 is an easy fix for this.
3. HR.213 does not add ANY Green Cards to the system.
4. IF THEY ASK about the impact on ROW, the impact on ROW is estimated to be a uniform 2-3 yr wait. This wait is reasonable and within the 6yrs of the H1.
5. Effects in your personal life.


The reason #1 and #2 are on top of the list because in our experience, framing our problems in terms that have the most impact on Americans delivers the best results. We have been doing this for way too long, so you will have to trust us on this.
I have a question about #2 (Just playing a friendly devil's advocate). Without HR213, ROW guys who get GCs can still innovate? So doesn't that make #2 moot?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #159 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Moderator
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 782
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhsarp View Post
I have a question about #2 (Just playing a friendly devil's advocate). Without HR213, ROW guys who get GCs can still innovate? So doesn't that make #2 moot?
They are going to be stuck in backlog for 2-3 years. They still have time for innovation.

Some of us will get out GC's in our 50's and 60's which is not the age of innovation.

The ideal solution would involve no backlog and the only way to accomplish that is more EB GC's - which will not fly in the current political situation.

HR.213 creates a fair FIFO system where the costs of the backlog are spread evenly across all EB applicants and does so in a way that is not unreasonable.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #160 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Member
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 42
arun_ramani has a reputation beyond repute arun_ramani has a reputation beyond repute arun_ramani has a reputation beyond repute arun_ramani has a reputation beyond repute arun_ramani has a reputation beyond repute arun_ramani has a reputation beyond repute arun_ramani has a reputation beyond repute arun_ramani has a reputation beyond repute arun_ramani has a reputation beyond repute arun_ramani has a reputation beyond repute arun_ramani has a reputation beyond repute
Default Call of Congressman

Hi,

I just called John Kline's office (MN), spoke with immigration liaison and explained HR 213. She listened and mentioned that she would pass on to the congressman.

I have to add that she helped me with USCIS when my EAD was delayed. So I am hoping my relationship with the office would help in getting another sponsor.

Thanks
__________________
-------
Contributed to advocacy in April 2010
Participated in advocacy efforts for HR 3012
-------
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #161 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Moderator
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 782
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhsarp View Post
I have a question about #2 (Just playing a friendly devil's advocate). Without HR213, ROW guys who get GCs can still innovate? So doesn't that make #2 moot?
I don't think there is any need for me to call you. You seem to be a pretty sharp guy should be able to pickup any needed info from comments on this thread.

If you have specific questions, please post them here - so others could benefit from your efforts.

If you have time, do a post meeting write-up so we can learn from you.


Here are some tips off the top of my head:
  1. Call and ask to talk to someone about immigration policy. If they say you have to call DC, say that you are happy to talk to an immigration caseworker and will rely on her to communicate your message to DC. The justification you can use is that the caseworker will probably have a pre-existing relationship with the staffer and will be more effective in communicating the message. The REAL reason is you are going through this is you want any excuse to be in the congressman's office since physical visits are taken much more seriously than phone calls. Since you are actually meeting your Congressman, this is moot to you - but others could benefit from this info.
  2. People matter. The more people you can bring with you for your meeting, the better. That said, if you can't find people, don't be disheartened.
  3. Read an internalize this post about following up: Immigration Voice - View Single Post - Major Announcement: Rep. Chaffetz introduced H.R.213 to eliminate per county limits (Major Announcement: Rep. Chaffetz introduced H.R.213 to eliminate per county limits) . Followup 1-2 (or even 3 times a week) until you get a yes/no answer.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #162 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Moderator
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 782
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_ramani View Post
Hi,

I just called John Kline's office (MN), spoke with immigration liaison and explained HR 213. She listened and mentioned that she would pass on to the congressman.

I have to add that she helped me with USCIS when my EAD was delayed. So I am hoping my relationship with the office would help in getting another sponsor.

Thanks
Thank you. You now must follow up - relentlessly and politely.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #163 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20
uhsarp is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil3182 View Post
They are going to be stuck in backlog for 2-3 years. They still have time for innovation.

Some of us will get out GC's in our 50's and 60's which is not the age of innovation.

The ideal solution would involve no backlog and the only way to accomplish that is more EB GC's - which will not fly in the current political situation.

HR.213 creates a fair FIFO system where the costs of the backlog are spread evenly across all EB applicants and does so in a way that is not unreasonable.
I have the appt scheduled for later in the day on 7/1. My question about the ROW is that currently, ROW folks get their GCs faster. So they can innovate by starting companies (Even though we are still in the waiting line). From a Congressman's perspective, they don't care about the citizenship of these folks (If they are from India/china or ROW) and who gets the GCs faster??

Let me know if you would like me to rephrase my question.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
  #164 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Moderator
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 782
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhsarp View Post
I have the appt scheduled for later in the day on 7/1. My question about the ROW is that currently, ROW folks get their GCs faster. So they can innovate by starting companies (Even though we are still in the waiting line). From a Congressman's perspective, they don't care about the citizenship of these folks (If they are from India/china or ROW) and who gets the GCs faster??

Let me know if you would like me to rephrase my question.
Your argument is good.

Another way to phrase it is:

1. Companies and lobbyists are running around saying high skilled immigrants (i.e H1-B's ) create jobs and are a net positive to the U.S. economy.
2. 60% of H1-B's are from backlogged countries and they face lengthy delays for their GC's without which they cannot start companies and help the US economy.
3. With HR.213 everyone gets their GC in a reasonable period thus unleashing a lot of underused potential in the U.S. economy.

While the economic argument is powerful, please don't underestimate the impact of the personal argument. Please share your personal story with the staffer and talk about how the backlog has impacted you and your family.

The reason we emphathse the economic argument here is because people tend to talk only about their personal situation and not go into How the fix will benefit the broader society. Your personal story is what will motivate the staffer to talk to the congressman and the economic side is what he will talk to the congressman about - so both are important.

Thank you for doing your part.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #165 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 436
waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil3182 View Post
Your argument is good.

Another way to phrase it is:

1. Companies and lobbyists are running around saying high skilled immigrants (i.e H1-B's ) create jobs and are a net positive to the U.S. economy.
2. 60% of H1-B's are from backlogged countries and they face lengthy delays for their GC's without which they cannot start companies and help the US economy.
3. With HR.213 everyone gets their GC in a reasonable period thus unleashing a lot of underused potential in the U.S. economy.

While the economic argument is powerful, please don't underestimate the impact of the personal argument. Please share your personal story with the staffer and talk about how the backlog has impacted you and your family.

The reason we emphathse the economic argument here is because people tend to talk only about their personal situation and not go into How the fix will benefit the broader society. Your personal story is what will motivate the staffer to talk to the congressman and the economic side is what he will talk to the congressman about - so both are important.

Thank you for doing your part.
economic argument is weak and needs to be reexamined in my opinion. There is no research with numbers to prove that. Most I have seen is anecdotal. Quoting a snapdeal founder or someone here and there cannot help make a generalized statement. Accept it that most H1Bs are low tiered H1Bs coming from unknown colleges and basically do grunt work. The top tiered H1Bs are the ones either coming out of top colleges around the world or in USA. They end up going to top companies and innovate. This does not mean low tiered H1Bs do not go to top companies. They do go there either directly or through a consultant but they only do low end work.

So when you want the Snapdeal founder to get a greencard, you have to look at his background. Is there any research to suggest that a low ranked college graduate doing low end H1B work has opened an attractive startup? or maybe this is simple: how many people in the queue after getting greencard start companies and employ more than 10 US citizens? Do we have a data on that? It is 10% or 50% or less than 1%? We do not know.

We should be working with some research organization to fund and conduct a study in this area so that we have better data to back us up. Why should so called experts like Ron Heros and wadhwanis be only doing research in this area. Why not immigrants who work in research fields actually take up this research and publish?

Likewise the emotional argument sounds like sobbing and asking for sympathy. The fact of life is just the opposite. The H1B immigrant's earning is much higher than average US citizen earning. They are more educated and live a better life. If there is a big emotional problem, why only 100 people out of 1 million showed up? Why IV does not have several million dollar budget to lobby? Why people cannot donate? The reality is that greencard issue lacks awareness and people have apathy.

In my opinion it is more of a fairness and justice issue that economic or emotional. By that I mean, workers need to be treated fairly and given equal wages as natives. There should be better protection laws and a system where workers are the real stakeholders and not lawyers and companies. The system needs to be equal to all. Currently there is discrimination against people from India and lets call it out clearly. ROW get unfair advantage. This was ok 30 years ago when Indians were not coming in large numbers so that laws were ok then. But with the shift with time, laws should also change.

The focus should be eliminating country limits and anti exploitation and protection laws for immigrants. Our community has slipped into their own personal ask lists based on their selfish needs and that has ruined a unified effort. Things like H4EAD, I140EAD, and other similar fixes are bullshit fixes because they do not fix the root cause and the real problem. This is why I said we people lack awareness and have no idea what to do when we sign an online petition or send a spam email.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fairness for high-skilled Immigration : We applaud Rep. Chaffetz, Lofgren & Labrador Administrator2 IV Agenda and Legislative Updates 65 02-22-2013 12:04 PM
Online petetion to eliminate per country limits vik352 Action Items for everyone 61 07-04-2008 04:16 PM
H.R. 5921- Introduced to eliminate per country Quota for EB Immigrants mdmd10 IV Agenda and Legislative Updates 11 04-30-2008 03:20 PM
Major announcement coming shortly from Immigration Voice ragz4u IV Agenda and Legislative Updates 0 02-08-2006 01:46 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c)ImmigrationVoice.org