Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2015, 01:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
palciparum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by palciparum View Post
How to tweet this message? I created Twitter account.
I clicked retweet logo. It says retweet to your followers. But I don't have any followers. I am not following anyone and no one is following me.

Who am I reteeeting it to?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I clicked retweet logo. It says retweet to your followers. But I don't have any followers. I am not following anyone and no one is following me.

Who am I reteeeting it to?
If you had followers, you would be retweeting to them.

If you don't have have followers, you will be retweeting at no-one, but the retweet counter on the tweets will go up, which will signal to fwd and anyone else watching that there is much support for 213.

If you want to start getting active on Twitter beyond pushing HR.213, let Twitter search your email contacts for people using Twitter, follow them and some will follow you back.

Contribute | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 09-19-2015, 04:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Our very own sengs led a delegation to met his Representative at an event this weekend to explain our issues and the importance of HR.213 to her.

Please "like" this picture and any helpful comments on the picture: https://www.facebook.com/Congresswom...type=3&theater

Also, please retweet this. Let the Congresswoman know how much support HR.213 and per-country cap removal has: https://twitter.com/sadhaksengupta/s...94460448976896

Thank you.

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Last edited by hil3182; 09-19-2015 at 04:14 PM.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
d.kiran is on a distinguished road

I am a member of IV TX Chapter and I have been calling Congressman Sam Johnson and Congressman Michael Burgess. Unfortunately, haven't been making a lot of progress there.

I wanted to get the expert's opinion on something. There is another bill called HR616 that is supposed to make the EB-5 program permanent. One of the provision in that bill is the removal of country caps. There are 22 co-sponsors on the bill out of which 2 are common between HR.213 and HR.616 .

In many cases, congressman are wary of supporting two bills that does the same thing. In this case however, HR.213 is so narrowly drafted that it might be an advantage.

Here are the co-sponsors of HR.616.

Rep. Amodei, Mark E. [R-NV-2]*
Rep. Bera, Ami [D-CA-7] -
Rep. Bordallo, Madeleine Z. [D-GU-At Large] -
Rep. Chu, Judy [D-CA-27] -
Rep. Cohen, Steve [D-TN-9] -
Rep. Dold, Robert J. [R-IL-10] -
Rep. Huizenga, Bill [R-MI-2] -
Rep. Jeffries, Hakeem S. [D-NY-8]
Rep. Jolly, David W. [R-FL-13]
Rep. Katko, John [R-NY-24]
Rep. Kelly, Robin L. [D-IL-2]
Rep. Payne, Donald M., Jr. [D-NJ-10]
Rep. Peters, Scott H. [D-CA-52]
Rep. Pierluisi, Pedro R. [D-PR-At Large]
Rep. Quigley, Mike [D-IL-5]
Rep. Renacci, James B. [R-OH-16]
Rep. Rohrabacher, Dana [R-CA-48]
Rep. Stivers, Steve [R-OH-15]
Rep. Veasey, Marc A. [D-TX-33]
Rep. Wilson, Frederica S. [D-FL-24]

Old 09-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I guess I had no question in my previous post.

Essentially, I was asking since they already support the principle of removing the country cap, would it be easier to get them to co-sponsor HR.213 as well ?

Old 09-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.kiran View Post
I guess I had no question in my previous post.

Essentially, I was asking since they already support the principle of removing the country cap, would it be easier to get them to co-sponsor HR.213 as well ?
Everybody on that bill is on the bill because they want EB-5 reauthorization. Per-country is a small part of the bill.

So while you could use that argument, a far stronger argument is a prior vote or sponsorship for HR.3012 since HR.3012 is the same bill as HR.213.

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Last edited by hil3182; 09-21-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:10 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
InLineForGC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil3182 View Post
It has come to our attention after all the work we did pushing HR.213 and all the noise we have made - FINALLY fwd.us has realized that there is a passable bill that will help a large part of their constituency and they seem to be getting behind it.

Please encourage them & help us get the message to congress by retweeting the below:

https://twitter.com/immivoice/status/643567744181530624

https://twitter.com/fwd_us/status/643536200343662592

Please don't try to improvise the message, some offices like fwd.us others don't, so by adding the wrong office in you could end up turning the office against HR.213.
For such a simple task like retweet and favorite the HR213 tweet, only a couple hundred retweets? I passed on to friends and colleagues but dont have big groups to pass on to. Is this task not imp. enough?

Old 09-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLineForGC View Post
For such a simple task like retweet and favorite the HR213 tweet, only a couple hundred retweets? I passed on to friends and colleagues but dont have big groups to pass on to. Is this task not imp. enough?
Agreed. We walk around saying there are 1 million people affected directly or indirectly by backlogs and for all that we get a lousy 300 tweets.

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 09-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-15
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gccommando is on a distinguished road

i guess thats because no one thinks IV can do anything..I guess hardcore lobbying is needed ,,just like how greedy lawyers and employers do..

Old 09-22-2015, 03:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
RH_93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gccommando View Post
i guess thats because no one thinks IV can do anything..I guess hardcore lobbying is needed ,,just like how greedy lawyers and employers do..
People realize there is an IV trying to get things done only when they are caught in their frustration and backlogs. Till then everyone is out trying to convince employer to file for PERM etc..its only when they realize the wait times are ridiculous and trips to temples/churches/mosques etc dont move PD forward that they realize there are thousands stuck in this quagmire and IV is really the one supporting EB/helping the situation....thanks IV. Every day you inspire me.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
palciparum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil3182 View Post
Agreed. We walk around saying there are 1 million people affected directly or indirectly by backlogs and for all that we get a lousy 300 tweets.
I called my friends and forwarded about this. Explained it to them. I think its typical desi mentality. If it doesn't not affect me then I won't help. And if it does affect me, then I will complain that nothings happening to correct it but won't do anything on my own part to resolve it.

Also most of the people I know are NOT on Twitter. Only one friend wa son Twitter and did retweet immediately. I think we can forward it to associations like cultural associations say south indian association, temple association, Marathi mandal etc but my experience is that most of the people are not using twitter. Its not as popular as FB or just clicking a link. And I don't know how to motivate them to open Twitter account with inherent inertia to not do anything but just complain and wait for someone else to resolve all the problems. It's very frustrating.

Open for suggestions.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
IMNotACommonMan is on a distinguished road
Default Persistence

Quote:
I called my friends and forwarded about this. Explained it to them. I think its typical desi mentality. If it doesn't not affect me then I won't help. And if it does affect me, then I will complain that nothings happening to correct it but won't do anything on my own part to resolve it.

Also most of the people I know are NOT on Twitter. Only one friend wa son Twitter and did retweet immediately. I think we can forward it to associations like cultural associations say south indian association, temple association, Marathi mandal etc but my experience is that most of the people are not using twitter. Its not as popular as FB or just clicking a link. And I don't know how to motivate them to open Twitter account with inherent inertia to not do anything but just complain and wait for someone else to resolve all the problems. It's very frustrating.

Open for suggestions.
Dear Friend, Advocacy is not easy at all, it needs hard work and persistance. Your friend will turn down once, ask him/her again, if they turn down again then ask again. One day your hard work will make them join you, same with congressman, call him once they may not pay any attention call them again they will listen. Keep trying, do not give up.

A Legal Immigrant
IMNotACommonMan

Join IV's Mailing List | State Chapters

Old 09-22-2015, 06:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:

Open for suggestions.
Thank you for your enthusiasm. I think we should all step back and try to view Twitter as an "addon" to our efforts.

Our core focus is on physical meetings - because that is what moves the needle more than anything else. If you are going to put in the effort to convince people, the thing to convince them to do is join a state chapter and start doing meetings.

We use twitter/FB in a very strategic and targeted way to complement the real-world activity that we do. It is the proverbial icing on the cake .

An example is the meeting sengs did with his Congresswoman this weekend. Regardless of if we get her on the bill or not (which we hope she does), when the bill comes up in one form or the other, she will know that constituents support the bill and will most likely support the bill.

Additionally sengs now has a relationship with the office he can use to push our agenda.

I think the point I am trying to make is, if you are investing time to push people to do something, push them to join a state chapter and do meetings. Tweeting and FB are nice, but by themselves, they won't accomplish much.

But we do appreciate what you are trying to do. Thank you.

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 09-25-2015, 02:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Now that Boehner is quitting, is there any possibility of pushing HR.213 to a vote?

I understand the value of getting co-sponsors and we'll all continue to work on that. However, how do we get it to the floor so that the House can vote on it?

Old 09-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sourab is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I personally feel that he wanted to do stuff but couldn't because of the right wing (hard liners conservatives) .I am not too hopeful about the next in line(Kevin McCarthy) as well but since IV is working hard towards it I won't count them off yet either. So its better to support IV in whatever way we can.