Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jambo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever2015 View Post
As they say, you can’t do the same thing over and over and expect different results. The thing that we are doing is “nothing “ and result is the never-ending wait.
We Indians tend to procrastinate, blame it on destiny and hope it will get better.
I must admit that I was guilty of the same

The enthusiasm and the dedication of some of the IV members/volunteers just blow my mind away. I have talked to a few and looking forward to meeting them during the course of our fight

There is a mindset that people in authority can’t be reached or they wont listen to our concerns. That is a myth and the representatives are more than willing to meet with the constituents and lend a sympathetic ear.

I heard about IV after the VB reversal and was part of the flower campaign. I met Congressman Keith Rothfus (PA-12) at a meeting and aired my concern. He listened patiently and told me to call his office. After persistent calls for 2 weeks they put me in touch with the Legislative assistant at the DC office. I was surprised when he called me to discuss “immigration issues”. He had heard of IV and I proudly said I was an IV volunteer. We talked briefly about the VB reversal and HR 213.

I needed more help and reached out on the IV forum for more material and talking points when a senior member contacted me and has been guiding me through the process. We have a meeting scheduled with the congressman in 2 weeks
We have been collecting signatures from a local Indian store and Diwali parties.

So here I am, will keep you guys posted about the meeting

If there is anyone in PA- 12 that been adversely affected by the VB reversal or the protracted wait with a compelling story can join us for the meeting to make the case. PM me and we can talk.

I would also encourage other people in untapped districts to not wait on the sidelines. It is our life and we have to fix it.
I think this is because Indians believe in the concept of karma and that whatever is happening to them is as a result of past sins!

I like your can-do attitude. I too have contacted my congresswoman here in California and the legislative aide was very receptive.

I have a request - can you please not say "we Indians"? It is very exclusionary. For instance, I am not Indian, but was born in India (left when I was a few months old) and am subject to these backlogs.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2015, 09:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
testman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
I think this is because Indians believe in the concept of karma and that whatever is happening to them is as a result of past sins!

I like your can-do attitude. I too have contacted my congresswoman here in California and the legislative aide was very receptive.

I have a request - can you please not say "we Indians"? It is very exclusionary. For instance, I am not Indian, but was born in India (left when I was a few months old) and am subject to these backlogs.
First you make an observation about Indians and then ask not to name something for Indians Why don't you stop generalizing.

Apart from this, I saw your agenda about badmouthing H1B employees. So stop pretending you care for anyone other than yourself. We have many such as you who come in as sheeps.

Stop hurting the EB community by your narrow agenda.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:00 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jambo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by testman View Post
First you make an observation about Indians and then ask not to name something for Indians Why don't you stop generalizing.

Apart from this, I saw your agenda about badmouthing H1B employees. So stop pretending you care for anyone other than yourself. We have many such as you who come in as sheeps.

Stop hurting the EB community by your narrow agenda.
Just because I make generalizations doesn't mean it's not true. This mentality needs to change if you want to fight the anti-immigrant forces in this country.

As for H1Bs, there are tons of highly-skilled Masters and PhD students who go to American universities and lose the H1B lottery to lower-skilled commodity developers who work in Indian consulting firms. This does not help the American economy (except by providing cheap, shoddy code), nor the perceptions of Americans towards EB immigrants. Keeping the low-skilled commodity programmers out will help wages rise and help us eventually with HR 213

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:41 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
foia is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The mere fact, that you were born in India, makes you Indian. That being said: it is totally up to you to accept it or not. Personally, I don't have any regret being born in India. Instead proud to be born in such a great culture. I agree there are less opportunities there, but one shouldn't be ashamed of one's identity.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Just because I make generalizations doesn't mean it's not true. This mentality needs to change if you want to fight the anti-immigrant forces in this country.

As for H1Bs, there are tons of highly-skilled Masters and PhD students who go to American universities and lose the H1B lottery to lower-skilled commodity developers who work in Indian consulting firms. This does not help the American economy (except by providing cheap, shoddy code), nor the perceptions of Americans towards EB immigrants. Keeping the low-skilled commodity programmers out will help wages rise and help us eventually with HR 213
Your agenda about other 'commodity H1B' makes me really vary and sick of people such as you. REMOVED Stop your evil agenda.

Actually, Immigration Voice shouldn't really trust you at all. Go away with your evil agenda.

Last edited by hil3182; 11-12-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Your agenda about other 'commodity H1B' makes me really vary and sick of people such as you. REMOVED Stop your evil agenda.

Actually, Immigration Voice shouldn't really trust you at all. Go away with your evil agenda.
Disagreements are fine, feel free to air them out - but let us not get personal with people that are actually doing HR.213 meetings - everyone else is fair game

Contribute | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Last edited by hil3182; 11-12-2015 at 01:08 PM.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil3182 View Post
Disagreements are fine, feel free to air them out - but let us not get personal with people that are actually doing HR.213 meetings - everyone else is fair game
Agree, but are you sure that he is not against our agenda and immigrants in general. Be more vary of those who appear to be helping more than who are openly antagonist.

This person is openly against immigrants so what he has got to do with us.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
FrankUnderwood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agree, but are you sure that he is not against our agenda and immigrants in general. Be more vary of those who appear to be helping more than who are openly antagonist.

Would you rather work for SlaveTrading bodyshoppers ? If I have gone through such discrimination and bonded labor, I would hope the next round of immigrants don't have to go through it.

I fully support Durbin-Grassley Act. It should become law and all the lawyers/bodyshoppers will be out of business in no time.

The legitimate American organizations which work within the constrains of the law will be happy to support this.

-FU

Old 11-12-2015, 01:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Quote:

I don't know Jambo and am not in his State Chapter and I don't want to come across as speaking for him - but he claims to have done a HR.213 meeting with this State Chapter and approached me for help with the follow-up note.

To me it sounds like he supports HR.213 and wants to see per-country caps on EB GC's gone.

What do you mean by saying Jambo is "openly against immigrants"?

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 11-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
I don't know Jambo and am not in his State Chapter and I don't want to come across as speaking for him - but he claims to have done a HR.213 meeting with this State Chapter and approached me for help with the follow-up note.

To me it sounds like he supports HR.213 and wants to see per-country caps on EB GC's gone.

What do you mean by saying Jambo is "openly against immigrants"?
Dear Hil -

1. He has already stated his position that he is against those who came here through some consulting firm. He wants to restrict H1B's such that no 'commodity developer' are able to work here. How can we be so sure that he is not hurting the cause under the banner of IV.

2. Why does he want to start an infight even before anything is achieved?

I come from a poor background and never had enough money to arrange for a flight ticket leave alone coming to US for M.S. Didn't have the heart to ask my parents for money.

I came here with $64 in pocket as a 'commodity developer.' Slept on floor and ate half a meal a day for many months. Worked here and went on to do an M.B.A from one of the top 5 institutes in U.S. I hate it when people with all the resources start insulting people as 'commodity developer' and want to shut the door behind them.

Mr Jambo has started this, and I want to state that such people hurt more than helping. Nothing against him, but totally against this policy of dividing and denigrating people.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
foia is on a distinguished road

+1.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Dear Hil -

1. He has already stated his position that he is against those who came here through some consulting firm. He wants to restrict H1B's such that no 'commodity developer' are able to work here. How can we be so sure that he is not hurting the cause under the banner of IV.

2. Why does he want to start an infight even before anything is achieved?

I come from a poor background and never had enough money to arrange for a flight ticket leave alone coming to US for M.S. Didn't have the heart to ask my parents for money.

I came here with $64 in pocket as a 'commodity developer.' Slept on floor and ate half a meal a day for many months. Worked here and went on to do an M.B.A from one of the top 5 institutes in U.S. I hate it when people with all the resources start insulting people as 'commodity developer' and want to shut the door behind them.

Mr Jambo has started this, and I want to state that such people hurt more than helping. Nothing against him, but totally against this policy of dividing and denigrating people.
IV's position is that the H1-B visa which was supposed to be a visa to help Companies find scarce talent has been perverted into a program that brings in cheap labor with less rights and displaces Americans.

If the program worked correctly, you would have been treated correctly the second you set foot in the US and would not have to resort to sleeping on floors and eating half a meal a day.

No one is talking about shutting doors behind them, we are talking about treating all workers fairly - especially H1 and L1 workers because we are the most vulnerable to abuse.

As long as there is a shortage of talent, people will come. The only question is will they be treated fairly and will it cost American jobs? Just because you were abused when you came to the US, doesn't mean you have to defend the screwed up system and enable the abuse of the next generation of immigrants.

Maybe you should watch Aman's message to USCIS again and really listen to the message - not just the parts you wanted to hear.

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 11-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
IV's position is that the H1-B visa which was supposed to be a visa to help Companies find scarce talent has been perverted into a program that brings in cheap labor with less rights and displaces Americans.

If the program worked correctly, you would have been treated correctly the second you set foot in the US and would not have to resort to sleeping on floors and eating half a meal a day.

No one is talking about shutting doors behind them, we are talking about treating all workers fairly - especially H1 and L1 workers because we are the most vulnerable to abuse.

As long as there is a shortage of talent, people will come. The only question is will they be treated fairly and will it cost American jobs? Just because you were abused when you came to the US, doesn't mean you have to defend the screwed up system and enable the abuse of the next generation of immigrants.

Maybe you should watch Aman's message to USCIS again and really listen to the message - not just the parts you wanted to hear.
Neither defending nor promoting. But against those who have their own agendas.

What happened with the VB modernization? Did it end up helping or it hurts more now? Was this the target when you guys started asking for it? How come the spillover dried up suddenly once the VB got all the attention? I hope same thing is not getting repeated over and over again.

How do you know 'the parts I want to hear?' I hope everyone here has the same goal(s).

Old 11-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Neither defending nor promoting. But against those who have their own agendas.
By fondly recollecting your days of sleeping on floors, eating half a meal a day, living like an indentured servant - without even questioning the system - you are defending the system. Heck most people in India treat their servants better than what you are describing. What's wrong with you?

Quote:
What happened with the VB modernization? Did it end up helping or it hurts more now? Was this the target when you guys started asking for it? How come the spillover dried up suddenly once the VB got all the attention? I hope same thing is not getting repeated over and over again.
As many people have pointed out before, there are other forums around where people spend their careers calculating these things - you should ask them.

Stop trying to take your frustrations out on IV and people like Jambo who are actually doing meetings to push for a solution and raise awareness. If you are frustrated - go let your Congressman know about your frustrations - bashing people on forums does nothing for anyone.

Quote:
How do you know 'the parts I want to hear?' I hope everyone here has the same goal(s).
I mean "Displacement" what do you think Aman meant by "Displacement"?

NOT A DAMN LAWYER

Old 11-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-11
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
john_jony is on a distinguished road
Default Hr213

In my local district atleast, talking to the legislative aide locally and in DC seems easier compared to get hold of the congressman. But still trying.

As for the current debate on the various points, and the new bill that was introduced that is more on h1b rather than gc:
Senator Grassley and Durbin introduced H1B and L1 Visa reform - Page 2 - Immigration Voice (Senator Grassley and Durbin introduced H1B and L1 Visa reform)
I thought I will comment on both threads together. First off, it is a good idea to have a good number of H1bs, that will be good overall for future immigrants. Problem is the abuse. Some years ago, I used to think H1b should be for highly skilled immigrants only and rightfully so. By that I mean the worker in a google or apple and so on. Over time, my thinking started evolving. Who are we to determine what is skilled and not skilled? I see the american born IT worker who does not do anything and simply offshores everything. Compared to that I see a lower end H1B worker is learning and climibing up. Different people climb and come up in different ways and hence all this ideas about a google worker vs tcs worker vs the so called small shop consultant worker is simply unwanted noise. the same thing about eb2 vs eb1 vs eb3 and so on. these things are there for reason. If I were employer, I would obviously want the best. Is the problem of bad employers valid? totally yes. Depending on who you ask, some will say big indian it firms, big american firms, big american financial firms ( yes in nyc wall street firms wait till year 6, fire or fill up a gc reluctantly and still many get removed - a different story), tech firms ( the apparently great cool innovative firms that others tell have changed our life like apple and google or facebook ) even they have lot of issues dealing with h1bs. Performing at the level required by google for 7+ years is hard for many american born top schooled people that I know let alone desi people. They tend to alieanate themselves from the rest and think that their gc should be somehow speedily processed. All those issues aside, the abuse and effects of these delays are REAL. Very REAL. We guys are feeling it and hence we volunteer and donate to IV, go talk to congressman and maintain that channel of communications. Once we get GC , dont just abandon this and help the next brother/sister too. In light of that, the bill introduced by Senator Grassley and Durbin introduced H1B and L1 Visa reform - Page 2 - Immigration Voice (Senator Grassley and Durbin introduced H1B and L1 Visa reform) seems not that bad. If they can contain abuse and have the employers be more responsible then it would be win win for all. I have worked with both american as well as indian firms, big as well as small and think that abuse is there in various forms such as slow actions and so on. Inherently many employers/lawyers and your interest in GC line is different. If they support great! If not, some people are stuck with lower employers for whatever reasons. There is family too to take care of.

So it is complex. In the true sense of that word.

I think rather than judging others, better interst served if not only there are enough h1bs so that our renewals, future indians coming here are not affected, the GC line itself should be cleaned up by bills such as HR213 ( for which go talk to your congressman, not senator now or anyone else, just congressman - face to face with them or their assistants - after all your pay very high amount of tax and ssn compared to average american ). and other bills as long as they help those in GC achieve their GC within predictable reasonable timeline. Many are tehre in EB2 for 10+ years and many more for EB3 berthern. So unite and look at the big picture. This bill could be good. But for sure should be the passage of other bills that help us all.