Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysurfz View Post
I am all for doing this and will do my part.

I am a bit confused... so this is going to be in addition to existing Admin Action. if so
1. Was he not considering this when he did the first one ?
2. How does a letter from congress members enable him to do something which he did not do in his major reform action?
3 Does the President have the authority to recapture without congress passing a bill?

Please share some wisdom
You are right. It Is confusing. But rather than worry about why they did not choose to say tthis ealier and why now, we should be happy that they are considering this now and hence the need of the letter. What we wanted seems to be happening. So, we should just jump on this rather than doing past analysis.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sengs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupen View Post
You are right. It Is confusing. But rather than worry about why they did not choose to say tthis ealier and why now, we should be happy that they are considering this now and hence the need of the letter. What we wanted seems to be happening. So, we should just jump on this rather than doing past analysis.
Well said Rupen.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rsr_am is on a distinguished road

Quote:
+1 - we want the output. we will do what ever is asked for!

Old 03-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Performed the action item with due diligence and follow-up calls. Now waiting with lots of hope to get the backlog cleared.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Done. Called my Rep and sent a followup email.

Asked for both signature on Dear Colleague letter and co-sponsorship of HR.213.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Done!

Old 03-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of

There were many offices listed from california as most likely to sign. If you have friends in California who stay or work in democrat districts, please ask them to make a call

Old 03-10-2015, 03:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
There were many offices listed from california as most likely to sign. If you have friends in California who stay or work in democrat districts, please ask them to make a call
I have asked my friends and family in CA to call and I know they have done because many of them are lingering in the same situation. It would be interesting to know if these representatives have already signed or not.

I don't know why anyone would not perform this action item. This is the strongest action item from IV (other than the Capitol advocacy sessions). This is our best chance to get out of this misery.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rock581 has a reputation beyond repute rock581 has a reputation beyond repute rock581 has a reputation beyond repute rock581 has a reputation beyond repute rock581 has a reputation beyond repute rock581 has a reputation beyond repute rock581 has a reputation beyond repute rock581 has a reputation beyond repute rock581 has a reputation beyond repute rock581 has a reputation beyond repute rock581 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Called

Called my Rep .

Old 03-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rajarak is on a distinguished road
Default Called and met with Congresman's office

Earlier today, i had a meeting with congressman Mr.Foster's(D) office director. Hope they find out more on the Dear Colleague letter initiative.

Do we know if any other reps have expressed support so far?
on FB, i see update from March 4th but nothing afterwards.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarak View Post
Earlier today, i had a meeting with congressman Mr.Foster's(D) office director. Hope they find out more on the Dear Colleague letter initiative.

We do not have update but we just need to keep calling democrat house offices. If they have already signed, they would say so when someone calls. Can't hurt to call though

Old 03-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-10
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Just finished my call with my representative's legislative assistant. This is the third call in 7 days, fifth call including my wife's. Everytime we have called he said that they are aware of the letter but would not confirm if the congressman has signed or will sign it. He is a democrat and very supportive of immigration action and has previously acknowledged the perils of green card backlogs. I would like to believe that our actions would result in a positive news.

On a separate note, has the delay in publishing of April 2015 visa bulletin anything to do with this?

Old 03-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of hil3182 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I am all for doing this and will do my part.
Thank you. Please do your part.

Quote:
1. Was he not considering this when he did the first one ?
The DHS recommendations for reforming the legal immigration system to the President isn't due until March 20th. DHS and DoS started working on those recommendations, their lawyers were probably busy with the undocumented part of the EO.

So, if you read between the lines, it wasn't considered by the admin, because they weren't looking at it in great detail until they started getting the recommendations together for the President (probably in the last month or so).

Think of it as a two phase process, phase one was relief for the undocumented and phase two is reform of the current (so called "legal") immigration system.

Quote:
2. How does a letter from congress members enable him to do something which he did not do in his major reform action?
This is about politics. There have been "Dear Colleague" letters both for and against the EO. Getting support from Congress is useful for President Obama politically.

Administrator2 said it best:
Quote:
We believe that with sufficient support from the Congress, there might be a way to recapture unused green cards through an Administrative action.
Quote:
3 Does the President have the authority to recapture without congress passing a bill?
I am a bit confused... so this is going to be in addition to existing Admin Action. if so
If the lawyers in the WH think that they have the authority, then they probably do. It all depends on how they want to interpret the law, and the Admin has a great deal of latitude in how to (re)interpret the law. Changing the interpretation of the law is politically risky, which is where the "Dear Colleague" letter comes in - it gives the President the political support he needs to to this.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Aram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarak View Post

Called and sent an email to Rep.Foster's(D, IL) legislative director yesterday and received email this morning from LD that Congressman Foster has agreed to sign onto this letter.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
konerusai will become famous soon enough konerusai will become famous soon enough
Default Called and sent an email to Rep.Cheri Bustos(D, IL)

Called and sent an email to Rep.Cheri Bustos(D, IL) 17th District of IL.
Sent letter to legislative director. waiting to hear a reply from her.