Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Action Item Alert: Call your Member of Congress for Recapturing Unused Green Cards

ACTION ITEM ALERT: This action item is VERY important given that it could help us get 200,000 green cards if Members of Congress (House Representatives) request the President.

We are reaching out to seek your help with getting Congressional support for recapturing of unused green cards from the previous years.

Representative Scott Peters (CA-52) and Representative Joaquin Castro (TX-20) are requesting congressional signatures on a 'Dear Colleague' letter calling on the President to pursue green card recapture from years past.

We believe that with sufficient support from the Congress, there might be a way to recapture unused green cards through an Administrative action.

Here is what we ask from you:

1. We ask that you please call the DC office of your Member of Congress. Please go to Find Your Representative House.gov to find your Member of Congress and their phone number.

2. Ask the person at the reception: "My name is ______ and I am calling from the district. I am a member of Immigration Voice and I would like to speak with the Legislative Director (LD) or Legislative Assistant who handles Immigration."

Most offices know Immigration Voice. So when you say you are member of an organization and that you are calling from the district, it adds more weight to your call.

3. If they are unavailable, then leave the following message: "Hi, my name is _____ and I am a resident of _______ in the district. I am a member of Immigration Voice and I am calling to discuss a 'Dear Colleague' letter being led by Rep. Peters and Rep. Castro. This letter is requesting the President to pursue recapturing of unused green cards from previous years. It is estimated that such a measure will help over 200,000 tax paying law abiding skilled immigrants, who after receiving their green cards will be able to start their companies throughout the country, and in the district. This letter and idea already has support of many Congressional offices. And I would like my member of Congress to support this initiative."

Ask how you can be helpful in assisting the Office to make their decision, and let them know that you will call back later to find out if your Representative was able to look at your request. Thank the staffer for his service.

Thanks for doing your share!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2015, 07:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of

Thanks, will call for sure --

Have a QQ

Can you provide more details on what changed and why only 200K --

Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shining View Post
Thanks, will call for sure --

Have a QQ

Can you provide more details on what changed and why only 200K --
We provide response if we have the information and if we are not asked by the other party not to share openly. The most expeditious way to lose trust of anyone is to put everything online. We do not violate the trust of people who trust us with certain information. That depends on what details you seek.

What do you mean by what changed? Could you please elaborate your question? And need some context of your questions, what do you mean by why only 200K?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare

At this time we have following Members of Congress as Cosigners to the letter -

Representatives Vargas, DelBene, Swalwell, Cardenas, and Veasey.

We believe that following offices are more included to sign the letter. Please call the Member of Congress of your area. But if you have a friend or an acquaintance in the district of following Members of Congress then please reach out to your friend or acquaintance asking them to make phone calls:

Representative Bera
Representative Blumenauer
Representative Bonamici
Representative Cardenas
Representative Castor
Representative Castro
Representative Chu
Representative Cicilline
Representative Cleaver
Representative Cohen
Representative Connolly
Representative Conyers
Representative Susan Davis
Representative DelBene
Representative Deutch
Representative Doggett
Representative Duckworth
Representative Eshoo
Representative Fattah
Representative Foster
Representative Garcia
Representative Al Green
Representative Gene Green
Representative Grijalva
Representative Alcee Hastings
Representative Himes
Representative Honda
Representative Horsford
Representative Huffman
Representative Jackson Lee
Representative Jeffries
Representative Kilmer
Representative Kind
Representative Lewis,
Representative Matsui
Representative McGovern
Representative Moore
Representative Neal
Representative Negrete McLeod
Representative Norton
Representative Scott Peters
Representative Pingree
Representative Pocan
Representative Polis
Representative Quigley
Representative Tim Ryan
Representative Linda Sanchez
Representative Loretta Sanchez
Representative Schiff
Representative Schneider
Representative Schrader
Representative Swalwell
Representative Takano
Representative Mike Thompson
Representative Van Hollen,
Representative Vargas,
Representative Veasey
Representative Vela
Representative Waters
Representative Waxman
Representative Welch

Last edited by Administrator2; 03-04-2015 at 10:03 PM.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:19 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
namitxyz is on a distinguished road
Default Republican Representatives

Is there any particular emphasis that needs to be made when we call the representatives with respect to the number of republican co-signers vs the number of democratic cosigners?

Basically, my question is whether we need more support from republican representatives as compared to democratic representatives or we are looking to cash in as many signatures as possible irrespective of which aisle they belong to?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by namitxyz View Post
Is there any particular emphasis that needs to be made when we call the representatives with respect to the number of republican co-signers vs the number of democratic cosigners?

Basically, my question is whether we need more support from republican representatives as compared to democratic representatives or we are looking to cash in as many signatures as possible irrespective of which aisle they belong to?
Rep Peters and Castro are Democrats. There cannot be a bipartisan letter for any Administrative action. When Republicans are in Majority they would not like to see the President of the other party do Administrative fixes. Politics run deep on Admin fixes and we need to mindful of this fact.

The letter will be signed by only Democrats. Calls to Democratic offices will help in getting support for the letter. When 100 Members of Congress sign a letter, that help gives cover to the Administration to make a change. This is what are assisting to achieve.

Republicans House members are not expected to sign the letter. However, calls to Republicans offices will help for adding to the tally to show support for the fix to help push back for any opposition to recapture Admin fix.

Hope this explains.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:48 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
namitxyz is on a distinguished road
Default got it

Thank you for a clear and concise explanation. The point is well understood. My representative is a democrat. I will call her tomorrow and urge all my friends to do the same.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of shining has much to be proud of

Sorry --Please ignore my question (I was misinterpreting it with not counting derivatives vs. recapture)
Best
Shining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator2 View Post
We provide response if we have the information and if we are not asked by the other party not to share openly. The most expeditious way to lose trust of anyone is to put everything online. We do not violate the trust of people who trust us with certain information. That depends on what details you seek.

What do you mean by what changed? Could you please elaborate your question? And need some context of your questions, what do you mean by why only 200K?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
prince_nagi@yahoo.com has a reputation beyond repute prince_nagi@yahoo.com has a reputation beyond repute prince_nagi@yahoo.com has a reputation beyond repute prince_nagi@yahoo.com has a reputation beyond repute prince_nagi@yahoo.com has a reputation beyond repute prince_nagi@yahoo.com has a reputation beyond repute prince_nagi@yahoo.com has a reputation beyond repute prince_nagi@yahoo.com has a reputation beyond repute prince_nagi@yahoo.com has a reputation beyond repute prince_nagi@yahoo.com has a reputation beyond repute prince_nagi@yahoo.com has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rep Peters and Castro are Democrats. There cannot be a bipartisan letter for any Administrative action. When Republicans are in Majority they would not like to see the President of the other party do Administrative fixes. Politics run deep on Admin fixes and we need to mindful of this fact.

The letter will be signed by only Democrats. Calls to Democratic offices will help in getting support for the letter. When 100 Members of Congress sign a letter, that help gives cover to the Administration to make a change. This is what are assisting to achieve.

Republicans House members are not expected to sign the letter. However, calls to Republicans offices will help for adding to the tally to show support for the fix to help push back for any opposition to recapture Admin fix.

Hope this explains.
Now I get it , as I called my district representative David Schweikert and didn't get a good response from his office. He is republican

Old 03-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of rupen has much to be proud of

Called

Old 03-06-2015, 03:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
moon_walker333 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_nagi@yahoo.com View Post
Now I get it , as I called my district representative David Schweikert and didn't get a good response from his office. He is republican
Republican for me too. I guess no use calling then.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rsr_am is on a distinguished road

as someone mentioned earlier in this thread or on facebook, if you have a democrat congressman, talk about the letter, if its a republican seek their support on HR 213

Old 03-06-2015, 05:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
konerusai will become famous soon enough konerusai will become famous soon enough
Default Called my local representative Scott Perry from Pennsylvania District 4

Left a message. As IV mentioned.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
slysurfz is on a distinguished road

I am all for doing this and will do my part.

I am a bit confused... so this is going to be in addition to existing Admin Action. if so
1. Was he not considering this when he did the first one ?
2. How does a letter from congress members enable him to do something which he did not do in his major reform action?
3 Does the President have the authority to recapture without congress passing a bill?

Please share some wisdom

Old 03-06-2015, 09:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Timeline

What is the timeline? Assuming Mr O signs how long would it take to be applicable.

Quote:
ACTION ITEM ALERT: This action item is VERY important given that it could help us get 200,000 green cards if Members of Congress (House Representatives) request the President.

We are reaching out to seek your help with getting Congressional support for recapturing of unused green cards from the previous years.

Representative Scott Peters (CA-52) and Representative Joaquin Castro (TX-20) are requesting congressional signatures on a 'Dear Colleague' letter calling on the President to pursue green card recapture from years past.

We believe that with sufficient support from the Congress, there might be a way to recapture unused green cards through an Administrative action.

Here is what we ask from you:

1. We ask that you please call the DC office of your Member of Congress. Please go to Find Your Representative House.gov to find your Member of Congress and their phone number.

2. Ask the person at the reception: "My name is ______ and I am calling from the district. I am a member of Immigration Voice and I would like to speak with the Legislative Director (LD) or Legislative Assistant who handles Immigration."

Most offices know Immigration Voice. So when you say you are member of an organization and that you are calling from the district, it adds more weight to your call.

3. If they are unavailable, then leave the following message: "Hi, my name is _____ and I am a resident of _______ in the district. I am a member of Immigration Voice and I am calling to discuss a 'Dear Colleague' letter being led by Rep. Peters and Rep. Castro. This letter is requesting the President to pursue recapturing of unused green cards from previous years. It is estimated that such a measure will help over 200,000 tax paying law abiding skilled immigrants, who after receiving their green cards will be able to start their companies throughout the country, and in the district. This letter and idea already has support of many Congressional offices. And I would like my member of Congress to support this initiative."

Ask how you can be helpful in assisting the Office to make their decision, and let them know that you will call back later to find out if your Representative was able to look at your request. Thank the staffer for his service.

Thanks for doing your share!