Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   IV Agenda and Legislative Updates (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/)
-   -   Do your share: Important Advocacy Day Action Item (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/3096306-do-your-share-important-advocacy-day-action-item.html)

jaggu bhai 06-18-2015 10:28 AM

Do we continue to call!
 
wondering, if we keep calling rep's! after the advocacy event. need direction.

sengs 06-18-2015 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggu bhai (Post 3587952)
wondering, if we keep calling rep's! after the advocacy event. need direction.

Jaggubhai, please read the last few communications in this thread and try to understand what we are asking you to do. Thanks for stepping up. :)

rsr_am 06-18-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggu bhai (Post 3587952)
wondering, if we keep calling rep's! after the advocacy event. need direction.

Yes. Until we get a yes from our congressmen/women. Calling not only the congressman from our district, but others in the state as well. That's what was recommended on IV facebook and earlier up in this thread.

I plan to do it every other day starting this monday (already called on mon/wed - need to do it tomorrow) with all congressmen from my state.

it's a great motivation for me personally from one of IV posts that someone has been calling daily his/her representative since may and the representative now is planning to support this bill. way to go anonymous person!

VaniC 06-18-2015 11:35 AM

test
 
just created a id on this forum and i wanted to thank IV and all the senior members for the sincere efforts they are putting in...go IV...

BABUG 06-18-2015 11:41 AM

4 More Co sponsers added yesterday
 
New Cosponsor: Rep. James Sensenbrenner [R-WI5]

New Cosponsor: Rep. Christopher Gibson [R-NY19]

New Cosponsor: Rep. John Delaney [D-MD6]

New Cosponsor: Rep. Ryan Zinke [R-MT0]

The bill now has 37 cosponsors (24 Republicans, 13 Democrats).

Great Job Guys..

sengs 06-18-2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaniC (Post 3587956)
just created a id on this forum and i wanted to thank IV and all the senior members for the sincere efforts they are putting in...go IV...

Welcome Vani, Thanks for stepping forward. We need motivated members like you to fight this cause. Please remember, you are the voice of immigration reform, so the cause is yours too. Hoping to see more active participation from you. :)

VaniC 06-18-2015 12:34 PM

thank you...:)
i am already doing my part by calling my district reps and also making my friends and colleagues aware of IV and their action items.

I am ready to help in what ever way i can.HR213 has to pass this time.

Thanks to you all..

IMNotACommonMan 06-18-2015 12:55 PM

Welcome
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VaniC (Post 3587959)
thank you...:)
i am already doing my part by calling my district reps and also making my friends and colleagues aware of IV and their action items.

I am ready to help in what ever way i can.HR213 has to pass this time.

Thanks to you all..

Vani, please check your PM.

hil3182 06-18-2015 01:29 PM

Co-sponsors that would really help:

Steve Scalise (Republican LA-1): House Majority Whip. Louisiana New Orleans area.
Kevin McCarthy (Republican CA-23): House Majority Leader. Bakersfield, CA area.
John Boehner (Republican OH-8): Speaker of the House. Nearby Cities. Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus OH area.


For the above, if you are in those states please don't forget to call. Please note that Kevin McCarthy and John Boehner did not give us appts because there was no one working those offices at the local level. Please adjust your message to those offices accordingly. For Boehner and McCarthy, it is particularly important to have local presence. So, if you or your friends/family can drive to their offices, please PM me.

We already have someone working on Steve Scalise locally (which is the main reason we got the meeting). But more people calling/visiting his offices, puts more pressure on them - so please step up.

Regarding Scalise, you can either collaborate or work independently with the person working the office - depending on your mutual comfort levels.




For everybody else on the list we published - please call.

There is one more thing you can do to enhance the impact of your call - ask to speak to the person who deals with immigration POLICY in their office and give the message to them instead of the first person who picks up the phone. Giving the message/voicemail directly to the immigration staffer eliminates the small risk of the message not reaching the right destination. You can get to the person who deals with Immigration Policy by asking to speak to a staffer who deals with immigration policy when they pick up the phone.

mpk1978 06-18-2015 04:06 PM

Quick Question
 
Hi,

Just for my own understanding on how the process works, is there a specific reason why you have only listed selected reps to call from each state? Also, it appears that Rep Leonard Lance from NJ is already listed as a co-sponsor to the bill. Any particular reason we need to follow up with him again?

sengs 06-18-2015 04:16 PM

Right now we are requesting to contact Republican members of the house only.

hil3182 06-18-2015 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpk1978 (Post 3587963)
Hi,

Just for my own understanding on how the process works, is there a specific reason why you have only listed selected reps to call from each state? Also, it appears that Rep Leonard Lance from NJ is already listed as a co-sponsor to the bill. Any particular reason we need to follow up with him again?

That is probably an oops. The advocacy was very hectic and mistakes happen.

That said, there is nothing wrong with calling your Rep and thanking him for co-sponsoring so you have a channel of communication open when it comes time to push for a vote.

IMNotACommonMan 06-18-2015 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hil3182 (Post 3587965)
That is probably an oops. The advocacy was very hectic and mistakes happen.

That said, there is nothing wrong with calling your Rep and thanking him for co-sponsoring so you have a channel of communication open when it comes time to push for a vote.

Folks for sending a message just click on the user name of a member and click on send private message.

greenvisa 06-18-2015 09:38 PM

what it takes to table this bill for vote in congress?
 
I was wondering what would it take to table this for vote. In 2011 I see HR3012 had only 11 cosponsors but still had overwhelming vote of 389-15 and passed congress.
But now we have almost 40 but still this is not considered for voting in this month though June is considered as Immigrants month. Can this bill be tabled in July?

Also among the one who voted "yay" for HR 3012 were
Steve Scalise (Republican LA-1): House Majority Whip. Louisiana New Orleans area.
Kevin McCarthy (Republican CA-23): House Majority Leader. Bakersfield, CA area.

Wondering why Jason Chaffetz is not pushing hard to table this in congress?
Any thoughts or ideas to untangle this?

IMNotACommonMan 06-18-2015 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenvisa (Post 3587975)
I was wondering what would it take to table this for vote. In 2011 I see HR3012 had only 11 cosponsors but still had overwhelming vote of 389-15 and passed congress.
But now we have almost 40 but still this is not considered for voting in this month though June is considered as Immigrants month. Can this bill be tabled in July?

Also among the one who voted "yay" for HR 3012 were
Steve Scalise (Republican LA-1): House Majority Whip. Louisiana New Orleans area.
Kevin McCarthy (Republican CA-23): House Majority Leader. Bakersfield, CA area.

Wondering why Jason Chaffetz is not pushing hard to table this in congress?
Any thoughts or ideas to untangle this?

Excellent question, and many folks reading this forum may have this. Okay I am not an expert or a senior guy here in IV but will try to answer this and I hope seniors will correct me. For any bill whether this or any other, momentum is very important, everyone agree that immigration system is broken and it needs to be fixed, but it's a complex issue. So whenever there is complex issue folks and specially elected representative take time to deliberate on the subject.
Now last time when there was only 10 cosponser where there, the bill had enough momentum, this time around we are seeing the same momentum building. The experience from last time was so good that almost everyone wants to get associated with the bill and that is why you are seeing so many Cosponsers.

So at this time we can help maintaining this momentum by following what IV is suggesting thru the Admin post. And you could check hr3012.immigrationvoice.org to check who voted for it.

I hope this will help you understanding the process.

A Legal Immigrant,
IMNotACommonMan


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c)ImmigrationVoice.org