Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   IV Agenda and Legislative Updates (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/)
-   -   Do your share: Important Advocacy Day Action Item (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/3096306-do-your-share-important-advocacy-day-action-item.html)

sengs 06-18-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenvisa (Post 3587975)
I was wondering what would it take to table this for vote. In 2011 I see HR3012 had only 11 cosponsors but still had overwhelming vote of 389-15 and passed congress.
But now we have almost 40 but still this is not considered for voting in this month though June is considered as Immigrants month. Can this bill be tabled in July?

Also among the one who voted "yay" for HR 3012 were
Steve Scalise (Republican LA-1): House Majority Whip. Louisiana New Orleans area.
Kevin McCarthy (Republican CA-23): House Majority Leader. Bakersfield, CA area.

Wondering why Jason Chaffetz is not pushing hard to table this in congress?
Any thoughts or ideas to untangle this?

I am sure you understand that political situation in 2011, especially surrounding immigration, is very different from what it is now in 2015. Therefore Congressman Chaffetz is taking extra steps to ensure that the bill passes the house. Saying that, we are confident that HR213 will pass with equal majority or may even better HR3012. More cosponsors ensure easier passage of the bill to become a law.

greenvisa 06-19-2015 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sengs (Post 3587978)
I am sure you understand that political situation in 2011, especially surrounding immigration, is very different from what it is now in 2015. Therefore Congressman Chaffetz is taking extra steps to ensure that the bill passes the house. Saying that, we are confident that HR213 will pass with equal majority or may even better HR3012. More cosponsors ensure easier passage of the bill to become a law.

I do completely comprehend that but do we have any tentative date when it could be tabled for vote in house.
After house we have a big uphill in the form of senate where Grassley and Sessions are heading the immigration judiciary committee. And as we all know they are very tough to interpret especially on Immigration.

sengs 06-19-2015 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenvisa (Post 3587982)
I do completely comprehend that but do we have any tentative date when it could be tabled for vote in house.
After house we have a big uphill in the form of senate where Grassley and Sessions are heading the immigration judiciary committee. And as we all know they are very tough to interpret especially on Immigration.

Something I learnt from my trip to DC this time- most of the information that one gets from media, that shapes ones ideas are not what actually happens. The game on the ground is very different. Otherwise Congressman Chaffetz would not have introduced the bill (he skipped it in last Congress, if you remember). Otherwise Sen. Grassley would not have met personally with IV and appeared for a photoshoot.

A date for bringing the bill to the house floor completely depends on how much effort we can actually put on the ground to get as many cosponsors for the reasons specified earlier. You can do your part too, which will help all of us, and expedite the process. Sitting behind the computer and throwing up hands because of the unknown fear is losing the battle completely even before it started.

essell 06-19-2015 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sengs (Post 3587983)
Something I learnt from my trip to DC this time- most of the information that one gets from media, that shapes ones ideas are not what actually happens. The game on the ground is very different. Otherwise Congressman Chaffetz would not have introduced the bill (he skipped it in last Congress, if you remember). Otherwise Sen. Grassley would not have met personally with IV and appeared for a photoshoot

Sengs, very well articulated.

I believe the Layer websites/forums (who enjoy the business coming to their offices due to references by traffic) and their lobbying group (to keep their business by keeping people stuck in the backlogs), and the employers (enjoying the CAPTIVE pool of employees with lesser rights) want the 1 million people stuck in backlog to believe that passing a bill is difficult. They don't want to share what it means when a bill was passed by earlier congress by 389-15 .

As we noticed in meetings with the lawmakers, all were willing to help and said they are aware of the issues and will definitely support when the bill comes to floor. It will be even better than 395 this time and in Senate don't see any opposition.

Administrator2 06-19-2015 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenvisa (Post 3587982)
I do completely comprehend that but do we have any tentative date when it could be tabled for vote in house.
After house we have a big uphill in the form of senate where Grassley and Sessions are heading the immigration judiciary committee. And as we all know they are very tough to interpret especially on Immigration.

For anyone asking for timeline, deadline, tentative date, target date or any such "project plan" -
THERE IS NO SUCH THING WITH THE LEGISLATIVE PROCESS

This is not meant to offend you or anyone else. But it is beyond uncomfortable when some folks keep asking for "tentative date".

You are talking as if you know something that others don't. There will be challenges in Senate and it won't be easy, which is why folks here are trying to get more awareness so more people can get involved, which will help to push the bill out of Senate.

It is unwise to assume that Senator Grassley and Sessions will be hostile to any fix. And if you or anyone else wants all the answers before you decide to move a finger, then Advocacy is not for you. And you can leave this alone because with Advocacy, even though we all would like to have answers, somehow all the answers are not available and one has to figure so many things along the way.

We know some people take an offense as soon as we say that there is no "tentative timeline". So be it. These folks (very small in number) generally behave as if they and/or their egos are made out of candle and they starts to melt with marginal heat. Advocacy requires operating in tough climate. And if you are used to working on IT projects with set time and budget, and if you think everything in the world should work like an IT project (with fixed time and budget), then Advocacy is not for you.

For all others, if you want to see this bill through then you will have to step up and do your share. Yes, it won't be easy. Yes, there are no guarantees of when or if this will be done. But if this was a done deal, then why do you need to make that phone call or write that letter. If it already done deal with "tentative dates", then there is no need for all this, isn't it?

Change to the law of any land is not easy. And if anyone thinks that this is done deal and that is why you will participate, then please stop wasting your time. If it is done deal, we don't need you to do anything. Rather, if you care for this bill and this fix, then we need you to step up and do your share.

palciparum 06-19-2015 09:25 PM

Should we call congressman only in our district or state or can we call of them from the list on IV Facebook page asking to support HR 213.

IMNotACommonMan 06-19-2015 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Administrator2 (Post 3587985)
For anyone asking for timeline, deadline, tentative date, target date or any such "project plan" -
THERE IS NO SUCH THING WITH THE LEGISLATIVE PROCESS

This is not meant to offend you or anyone else. But it is beyond uncomfortable when some folks keep asking for "tentative date".

You are talking as if you know something that others don't. There will be challenges in Senate and it won't be easy, which is why folks here are trying to get more awareness so more people can get involved, which will help to push the bill out of Senate.

It is unwise to assume that Senator Grassley and Sessions will be hostile to any fix. And if you or anyone else wants all the answers before you decide to move a finger, then Advocacy is not for you. And you can leave this alone because with Advocacy, even though we all would like to have answers, somehow all the answers are not available and one has to figure so many things along the way.

We know some people take an offense as soon as we say that there is no "tentative timeline". So be it. These folks (very small in number) generally behave as if they and/or their egos are made out of candle and they starts to melt with marginal heat. Advocacy requires operating in tough climate. And if you are used to working on IT projects with set time and budget, and if you think everything in the world should work like an IT project (with fixed time and budget), then Advocacy is not for you.

For all others, if you want to see this bill through then you will have to step up and do your share. Yes, it won't be easy. Yes, there are no guarantees of when or if this will be done. But if this was a done deal, then why do you need to make that phone call or write that letter. If it already done deal with "tentative dates", then there is no need for all this, isn't it?

Change to the law of any land is not easy. And if anyone thinks that this is done deal and that is why you will participate, then please stop wasting your time. If it is done deal, we don't need you to do anything. Rather, if you care for this bill and this fix, then we need you to step up and do your share.

Excellent write up, and one line said it all: Step up and do your share.

Requesting all who have not and thanking all who have. Please don't let anything get better of you, step up and help the good folks who are working day and night.

essell 06-19-2015 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palciparum (Post 3587996)
Should we call congressman only in our district or state or can we call of them from the list on IV Facebook page asking to support HR 213.

You will notice the most support you receive from your district and state representatives. However, since this is a national issue you can all other representatives too.

greyhair 06-20-2015 10:04 AM

Well said. In 1963, there was bombing in Birmingham church killing 4 African American girls. Next day Martin Luther King gave this speech which is applicable to the current immigration debate.

He pretty much said that the reason for long standing injustice is apathy and complacency. To this context, everyone who sit down in the cubes to not participate in the process is responsible for the injustice, mostly so called "professional individuals" who are selfishly concerned about taking few minutes away from their weekend pani-puri parties than freedom and justice











Quote:

Originally Posted by Administrator2 (Post 3587985)
For anyone asking for timeline, deadline, tentative date, target date or any such "project plan" -
THERE IS NO SUCH THING WITH THE LEGISLATIVE PROCESS

This is not meant to offend you or anyone else. But it is beyond uncomfortable when some folks keep asking for "tentative date".

You are talking as if you know something that others don't. There will be challenges in Senate and it won't be easy, which is why folks here are trying to get more awareness so more people can get involved, which will help to push the bill out of Senate.

It is unwise to assume that Senator Grassley and Sessions will be hostile to any fix. And if you or anyone else wants all the answers before you decide to move a finger, then Advocacy is not for you. And you can leave this alone because with Advocacy, even though we all would like to have answers, somehow all the answers are not available and one has to figure so many things along the way.

We know some people take an offense as soon as we say that there is no "tentative timeline". So be it. These folks (very small in number) generally behave as if they and/or their egos are made out of candle and they starts to melt with marginal heat. Advocacy requires operating in tough climate. And if you are used to working on IT projects with set time and budget, and if you think everything in the world should work like an IT project (with fixed time and budget), then Advocacy is not for you.

For all others, if you want to see this bill through then you will have to step up and do your share. Yes, it won't be easy. Yes, there are no guarantees of when or if this will be done. But if this was a done deal, then why do you need to make that phone call or write that letter. If it already done deal with "tentative dates", then there is no need for all this, isn't it?

Change to the law of any land is not easy. And if anyone thinks that this is done deal and that is why you will participate, then please stop wasting your time. If it is done deal, we don't need you to do anything. Rather, if you care for this bill and this fix, then we need you to step up and do your share.


hil3182 06-20-2015 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palciparum (Post 3587996)
Should we call congressman only in our district or state or can we call of them from the list on IV Facebook page asking to support HR 213.

You should definitely call everyone in your state.

You can also call anyone in a state you lived in previously.

dvsj 06-22-2015 03:35 PM

Hi,
I called Kevin McCarthy's (California) office to request him to cosponsor H R 213 and was asked to send an email to his immigration specialist. Is there a draft/format that I can use to communicate a consistent & effective message? Apologies if IV ADMIN already shared that on the forums on IV website. I new to the forum and might have missed any guidance on this topic.

Appreciate your help.

Regards,

hil3182 06-22-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvsj (Post 3588019)
Hi,
I called Kevin McCarthy's (California) office to request him to cosponsor H R 213 and was asked to send an email to his immigration specialist. Is there a draft/format that I can use to communicate a consistent & effective message? Apologies if IV ADMIN already shared that on the forums on IV website. I new to the forum and might have missed any guidance on this topic.

Appreciate your help.

Regards,

Sent you a PM.

rsr_am 06-22-2015 04:41 PM

Followed up with 4 of KY's Reps from the list today. Will do it again on Wed. #GoIV

Padala 06-22-2015 06:42 PM

Followed up with GA7 Rep. Rob Woodall (REP) GA-7 (202) 225-4272.
The lady was polite, took all notes and noted down my mailID and she told I will get response through mail.

hil3182 06-23-2015 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Padala (Post 3588022)
Followed up with GA7 Rep. Rob Woodall (REP) GA-7 (202) 225-4272.
The lady was polite, took all notes and noted down my mailID and she told I will get response through mail.

Thank you. Please don't forget to followup. We recommend following up twice a week.

Once you start following up, you will find yourself developing a relationship with the staffer. For eg, if you call back on (say) Thursday, she will say that she is going to talk to her boss on (say) Monday and you will hear from her by (say) Tuesday.

Odds are you will not hear back by Tuesday, and you will need to call back on Wednesday. In our experience, this game will continue for 4-6 weeks. Your responsibility is to call and keep following up until you get a yes/no answer.

The mantra is to be polite yet persistent.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c)ImmigrationVoice.org